Bring the Game to the New Consoles - [Merged]

@Danikat.8537 said:I'm not sure of the specifics for the PS4 but I do know it can run Elder Scrolls Online, which is about 80GB and I think has comparable PC specs to GW2. (The Xbox One, PS5 and Xbox X can also run Elder Scrolls Online.)

The official minimum requirements for Guild Wars 2:CPU: Intel® Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz or Core i3 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 or betterGPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS or ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT or Intel Iris 5100

Elder Scrolls Online minimum requirements:CPU: Intel® Core i3 540 or AMD A6-3620GPU: DirectX 11 compliant video card with 1 GB of RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 460 / AMD Radeon 6850) or higher

There is a sizeable difference in the minimum requirements between the two games.GW2 GPU requirement is from 2006/2007 while ESO is from 2010

GW2 minimum requirements from Steam are much higher than the ones on the official support pageGPU: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 or AMD Radeon HD 5770 or Intel Iris 600 seriesWhich puts GW2 requirements closer to ESO, GPUs from 2009, but still less than ESO

Worth noting that the CPU/GPU on the PS4 is much more powerful than either game's minimum requirements

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I'm not sure of the specifics for the PS4 but I do know it can run Elder Scrolls Online, which is about 80GB and I think has comparable PC specs to GW2. (The Xbox One, PS5 and Xbox X can also run Elder Scrolls Online.)

The official minimum requirements for Guild Wars 2:CPU: Intel® Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz or Core i3 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 or betterGPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS or ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT or Intel Iris 5100

Elder Scrolls Online minimum requirements:CPU: Intel® Core i3 540 or AMD A6-3620GPU: DirectX 11 compliant video card with 1 GB of RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 460 / AMD Radeon 6850) or higher

There is a sizeable difference in the minimum requirements between the two games.GW2 GPU requirement is from 2006/2007 while ESO is from 2010

GW2 minimum requirements from Steam are much higher than the ones on the official support pageGPU: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 or AMD Radeon HD 5770 or Intel Iris 600 seriesWhich puts GW2 requirements closer to ESO, GPUs from 2009, but still less than ESO

Worth noting that the CPU/GPU on the PS4 is much more powerful than either game's minimum requirements

Thanks. :)

That's a good point too - there's a common assumption that consoles are less powerful than PCs and I think it is usually true that the newest top of the line PCs are slightly ahead of the newest Sony and Microsoft consoles when they first come out and the gap widens over the lifetime of a console. (I'm not counting Nintendo here because they've been doing their own thing for years, I think the last time they tried to directly compete with hardware was the N64). But very few games are designed to require a top of the line gaming PC (because relatively few people have one), and GW2 didn't require one even when it was a new game, so the fact that it's possible to make a PC which is more powerful than a console doesn't really say anything about whether consoles can run PC games.

@maddoctor.2738 said:Worth noting that the CPU/GPU on the PS4 is much more powerful than either game's minimum requirementsThe CPU isn't. The gaming performance of an 8 core Kabini Jaguar @ ~2 GHz (the CPU in the last gen consoles) is comparable to a Sandy Bridge i3 (2 cores 4 threads) from 2011 - if (!) the game can utilize all cores, which is a challenge. GW2 can't.

The for GW2 important single threaded performance (because the game runs pretty fast in a thread limit) of current CPUs is more then 4 times higher than of the Jaguar. That's btw. even the marketing numbers of Sony and MS for the CPUs in their new consoles. And we all know how crappy the game runs even on modern CPUs.

Besides that: Do you know how ESO and GW2 look and run when you play them with minimum spec hardware? Like a game from the early 2000s @ sub 30 fps.

@Danikat.8537 said:

Thanks. :)

That's a good point too - there's a common assumption that consoles are less powerful than PCs and I think it is usually true that the newest top of the line PCs are slightly ahead of the newest Sony and Microsoft consoles when they first come out and the gap widens over the lifetime of a console. (I'm not counting Nintendo here because they've been doing their own thing for years, I think the last time they tried to directly compete with hardware was the N64). But very few games are designed to require a top of the line gaming PC (because relatively few people have one), and GW2 didn't require one even when it was a new game, so the fact that it's possible to make a PC which is more powerful than a console doesn't really say anything about whether consoles can run PC games.

Exactly. Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation regarding performance on these forums. What I find the most interesting is that on one hand we have many voices saying the PS4 isn't capable of running GW2 because it's not powerful enough, while at the same time we get equally many voices saying they shouldn't upgrade the engine because it would alienate players with less capable machines. I find it exciting when such obvious contradictions appear on the same forum.

The PS4 is using a variant 7xxx GPU, closer to the higher end, which is 2 generations (!!!) above the 5770 listed in the requirements for GW2 on Steam. That tells us a lot. To add another game, BDO also runs on the PS4, which is more intensive than both ESO and GW2

Digital Foundry made a video about the performance of the Jaguar in the last gen consoles. Some smart asians put that chip on a PC motherboard, so we can directly compare the performance to PC CPUs.

And that CPU is sloooooow... the single core performance of the 1.75 GHz Version is even 40% lower than a Q6600 (the minimum spec for GW2). Only the 8 cores can push it slightly above.

Worth mentioning: Cinebench scales better than any game with cores and games are only allowed to use 6 or 7 of the cores in the consoles. The rest of the CPU is reserved for the console OS. Keep that in mind when watching the video.