What is the class is always in meta for pve content?

Blackrystal.3508

• 3 weeks later...

@The Boz.2038 said:That's a stretch of a backronym.

Nah, I don't think making a backronim of a greek word that has nothing to do with the META meaning makes any sense. The greek word today is used as a prefix, why would we create a backronym of a prefix, it just happens to match by accident as it is a 4 letter word. Regardless even if it were a backronym you'd still write it in capital letters.

• Confused 1

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Agrippa Oculus.3726" said:If I have to answer the question in the title it's quite easy actually: it's the Warrior. Since launch of the game (2012) it's the
only
class that has never gone out of Meta in PvE (endgame) content.

It is not totally true.

They were meta with great damage at launch of the game, but those damage took a serious nerf and they fell out of grace for a few month. Then they were blessed with
phallanx strength
which gave them a second breath, yet, if it allowed them to enter and even be essential to casual groups, it wasn't enough to make them "meta" in front of the elementalist almost absolute dominion. After HoT release, they indeed ended up being meta but I believe their spot isn't very solid since banners lost a chunk of stats.

Warriors have always been able to provide banners buffs, 100 power from Empower Allies, large AoE fury, swiftness, and vigor uptimes, and lots of AoE might because PS has been in the game since launch. The core of warrior support has been unchanged for 8 years, which is in part why they are due for a support based e-spec.

As much as I hate banners now I always brought them back in the beginning because they were one of the biggest things you could do at launch to help party DPS. Now they are kind of a marginal increase really.

They should bring the base stats back up to 150 at least.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:Warriors have always been able to provide banners buffs, 100 power from Empower Allies, large AoE fury, swiftness, and vigor uptimes, and lots of AoE might because PS has been in the game since launch. The core of warrior support has been unchanged for 8 years, which is in part why they are due for a support based e-spec.

PS have been introduced in April 2014 along with a few other traits (5 traits per profession that ANet made us unlock throught PvE). Prior to that Warrior was more about blast and shouts for might stacking, to be more accurate, you needed 2 warrior for might stacking in a 5 man group. Which is why elementalist initially rose as he was a lot more convenient when it come to fart fire fields and blast. At a point warrior even took a damage nerf that ended up with it's support totally replaced by the elementalist. PS is the thing revived the warrior in PvE after this damage nerf.

At it's peak, the warrior's support was Empower ally, 2 banners and Phalanx strength coupled with forceful greatsword. I won't deny that, but saying that it was always there? Nope.

• 5 months later...
On 2/4/2021 at 12:09 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

It depends what it means.While it started out as "meta-gaming", it also became the acronym for "most efficient tactic available".And since acronyms usually are written in caps, some people to so with META as well.

Most people don't spell "radar" or "laser" in caps :)

On 2/4/2021 at 1:09 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

It depends what it means.While it started out as "meta-gaming", it also became the acronym for "most efficient tactic available".And since acronyms usually are written in caps, some people to so with META as well.

Save the shift key usage, it's not an acronym or backronym. It's a noun and adjective. The acronym you've described doesn't even fit very well because it ignores the transcendental nature of the idea. In gaming it typically means to ascend to a higher level of play by designing ideal and often unintuitive methods of gameplay.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2021 at 3:12 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

And most people don't know which words started out as acronyms before turning into actual words.

I didn't know that radar was also one of those.

"RAdio Detection And Ranging"

Quite okay. A lot of people think things like CIA, FBI, IRS, and IBM are acronyms 🙂

Edited by TESLA.7415
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, TESLA.7415 said:

A lot of people think things like CIA, FBI, IRS, and IBM are acronyms

I don't know what you think are, if you don't think they are acronyms. But CIA, FBI and IRS factually are acronyms.

FBI means Federal Bureau of Investigation.

CIA means Central Intelligence Agency.

IRS stands for Internal Revenue Service.

IBM stands for International Business Machines.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2021 at 4:00 PM, Genesis.5169 said:

Answer is warrior.

It's funny but some classes have been untouched, lackluster and unplayed in pve for years.

But if warrior get's gutted to that point

• there are emergency patches after days/weeks
  • ppl get shifted in and out of the balance team
  • the whole balance philosophy get's changed

Not that this is a bad thing, that they said they change their philosophy (we will see if they actually do, one of the biggest targets of that philosophy change should be elementalist) but what happened when other specs were and still are at lower lows than warrior ever was? Nothing

Edited by Zunki.3916
  • Confused 1

On 1/31/2021 at 11:45 AM, Blackrystal.3508 said:

what do you think about engi and ranger?

Both classes have plenty of options for any game mode.

On pvp and wvw ranger is more of a roamer and engineer is one of the best group supports by providing alot of utilities to the squad/team.

On Pve, and starting from scratch, Rangers are more noob friendly providing the player a strong tool, the pets, that can take alot of damage and aggro away from you, and paired with it's numerous ranged weapons alternatives it makes the ranger a good choice. Engineers have a weaker start than rangers but in my opinion they become stronger later due to having some of the strongest specializations the game can offer.

Both are good options but take in mind that playing ranger you will always feel playing the same, however if you choose engineer every time you jump onto another specialization you will experience a new and refreshing playstyle.

Try both and pick the class that you enjoy the most.

Edited by Ruisenior.6342

18 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I don't know what you think are, if you don't think they are acronyms. But CIA, FBI and IRS factually are acronyms.

FBI means Federal Bureau of Investigation.

CIA means Central Intelligence Agency.

IRS stands for Internal Revenue Service.

IBM stands for International Business Machines.

I told you so 🙂

And you would be wrong there, cowboy. Those are abbreviations (or initials), not acronyms. Acronyms are words that stand for things. Nobody would say "Fibi" for FBI, or "Sia" for CIA or "Ears" of IRS. Radar is a word. Laser is a word. Scuba is a word and they are all acronyms.

Edited by TESLA.7415

20 minutes ago, TESLA.7415 said:

I told you so 🙂

And you would be wrong there, cowboy. Those are abbreviations (or initials), not acronyms. Acronyms are words that stand for things. Nobody would say "Fibi" for FBI, or "Sia" for CIA or "Ears" of IRS. Radar is a word. Laser is a word. Scuba is a word and they are all acronyms.

TESLA here is right. These are abbreviations. That said, government agencies like to turn things into acronyms when they are not. Case in point: the AEGIS weapon system, which the US Navy made into an acronym when it was first coined from the mythical shield of Greek mythology.

37 minutes ago, TESLA.7415 said:

And you would be wrong there, cowboy. Those are abbreviations (or initials), not acronyms. Acronyms are words that stand for things.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acronym

: a word (such as NATO, radar, or laser) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term

also : an abbreviation (such as FBI) formed from initial letters : initialism

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abbreviation

1 : a shortened form of a written word or phrase used in place of the whole word or phrase

"Amt" is an abbreviation for "amount."

"USA" is an abbreviation of "United States of America."

2 : the act or result of abbreviating something : abridgment

I know you would not be satisfied with an abbreviation of its contents, and you shall have the whole, save, perhaps, a few passages here and there of merely temporary interest to the writer …

— Anne Brontë

Acronyms are a strict subset of abbreviations.  Thus, FBI, CIA, and IRS are both acronyms and abbreviations.

• Thanks 1