New player in WvW

Weerus.3701

Hello, I'm playing since 2012, but I've been mostly focusing on fractals and what time I had left I raided or sPvP. I never basically played WvW besides initial try years ago, and I'm itching to give it another go.

What would you suggest new WvW player like me to play. Which class? Which build? How to even go about WvW, what to do there. Some simple direction guides :P

My main is Mirage and I recently made HFB since coming back after years of pause. I can probably create and ascended equip any class, but I would like some imput on what and how to play :)

Just play what you like or with the class you feel comfortable with. Do not limit yourself. Sooner or later you may not (want to) limit yourself to a particular class or specialization. Why not just start with your "main"?

Just start ... and see what comes up. In other words, which playstyle suits you (solo roaming, small scale or zerg fights).

In this sense "Welcome to WvW". Have fun! :)

I am not much of a meta-mongerer myself but if you are comming into this from a blank, this is a good starting place for you to see what is common/norm:

https://gw2mists.com/builds

Here you have more alternatives with a division between large- and small-scale builds:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/WvW

Just keep in mind, that if you are looking for solo- or small-scale content there are going to be quite sizable experience differences between you and many players that are far more noticable the less friends you have around you, while the balance between classes and builds is generally considered worse.

Anything high up in the larger scale lists will likely get you invited into groups and make you at least somewhat appreciated even if you still have alot to learn whereas at smaller scale you should not really consider something like Holorifle to be on par with something like the Thief builds even if both options are listed in the top tier and you should prepare yourself to learn by dying alot more :) .

@Weerus.3701 said:Hello, I'm playing since 2012, but I've been mostly focusing on fractals and what time I had left I raided or sPvP. I never basically played WvW besides initial try years ago, and I'm itching to give it another go.

What would you suggest new WvW player like me to play. Which class? Which build? How to even go about WvW, what to do there. Some simple direction guides :P

My main is Mirage and I recently made HFB since coming back after years of pause. I can probably create and ascended equip any class, but I would like some imput on what and how to play :)

I am going to assume HFB is a heal fire brand. Likely with a tweak or two, that would be highly desired in most squads in WvW.

The largest drawback is that you do low on the damage side, however as a support, you are normally needed. Depending on your server (or world) I would seek out a WvW guild after a week or two of following a commander you may find works for you.

But other wise, if you can’t find a group, the mirage can be quite effective for running solo or duo in WvW.

Just don’t let the salt and garbage that you will see in team chat bug you. Ignore it lol.

There are 3(2 now) ways to wvw, blobing, roaming and scouting(who does it nowdays? Boring and no rewards)For WvW starters I always suggest to blob first, follow the commander, know what to do, whats going on...After you gain experience, you could try roaming, solo or in groups.For starter, the best option will always be an healer FB, they will always welcome in the squad.Find a commander in your server and join the squad.After you know the basics, you can bring your main class to wvw and roam, is okay, you will die, a lot, you will be outnumbered, you will be ganked, and you will be killed by the broken builds. Adjust your build and keep trying. That's it.

Play the class you are most confident with and don't worry, a warrior main like me reached a point of trying all the elite specs with different setups depending on the mood. Basically, eventually you will want to play every spec.

I returned to wvw after 2 years last september/late august (2020), followed open tags on discord for a month, then found a wvw guild to join, learned the basics with them about raid squad composition and now I teach people how to play. Arguably the most fun thing to do is run around with your guild.

Welcome to WvW!

Play the class that you are comfortable with. Nothing stops you from following the tag even if they boot you from the squad due to classism, just make sure to play smart and not be a detriment. But DO try other classes. You may find that while you main something else outside of WvW that you enjoy another class within WvW.

All classes can roam and cap objectives. Do not go full glass cannon unless that is what you absolutely like to play.

You will die. It happens. Just use the waypoint and pick up from the nearest objective/tag.

/wave or /bow to people you enjoyed fighting, we are each others content after all.

Ignore any salty whispers you get.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Welcome to WvW!

Play the class that you are comfortable with. Nothing stops you from following the tag even if they boot you from the squad due to classism, just make sure to play smart and not be a detriment. But DO try other classes. You may find that while you main something else outside of WvW that you enjoy another class within WvW.

All classes can roam and cap objectives. Do not go full glass cannon unless that is what you absolutely like to play.

You will die. It happens. Just use the waypoint and pick up from the nearest objective/tag.

/wave or /bow to people you enjoyed fighting, we are each others content after all.

how do you wave or bow while dead for example? XD or jsut winner does it?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I decided to go with main - mesmer. So now I have pretty much full equipped minstrel chrono. Only missing few +5 concentration infusions. I saw its an off support, healer? With a lot of boon strip. Any advices on how to play this class effectively in group? I guess solo is not an option here :D

@Weerus.3701 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Welcome to WvW!

You
will
die. It happens. Just use the waypoint and pick up from the nearest objective/tag.

how do you wave or bow while dead for example? XD or jsut winner does it?

Sadly it would be if you won. But if you see them again you could always wave or bow to them.

You can right click their character portrait. Block them. Go to your blocked list and move them to your friend's list so that you can whisper them if you wanted.

People will do that to trash talk you sadly, but sometimes you get wonderful whispers about how great the fight was.

I've been whispered by a mesmer amazed that Rush tracked their stealth and hit for 14k (before the great Feb 2020 nerf patch). That mesmer wasn't even mad, he just wanted to share his amazement at it.

@Weerus.3701 said:Thanks for the warm welcome. I decided to go with main - mesmer. So now I have pretty much full equipped minstrel chrono. Only missing few +5 concentration infusions. I saw its an off support, healer? With a lot of boon strip. Any advices on how to play this class effectively in group? I guess solo is not an option here :D

Play with people, you'll need a pocket DPS with you.

Focus your boon strips on high priority targets. Interrupt important looking skill animations (like heals). Throw debilitating conditions like cripple, weakness, poison, chill, blind, or immobilize when you can.

I ruined several peoples night last night as a +1 on fights with warrior rifle. Not from the damage, but from the immobilize and 25 stacks of vulnerability tipping the fight against them.

@"Weerus.3701" said:Hello, I'm playing since 2012, but I've been mostly focusing on fractals and what time I had left I raided or sPvP. I never basically played WvW besides initial try years ago, and I'm itching to give it another go.

Get ready to die. A lot!

Understand that your server has cycles of population now. So there will be times when you get utterly demolished by opponents - this is my favourite time to play. Small victories in a time of despair are more interesting than rolling over enemy stuff with a giant zerg.

But I'm getting ahead of myself;First, press Bon the left press the bottom iconThis will show you your

World vs World ABILITIES

Aim to get1 point in gliding, then1 point in Warclaw, then4 points in provisions mastery->F2P players start hereGuard KillerDefense Against GuardsThings that involve SupplySiege stuff last of all - don't man siege if someone else can do it - they are probably higher rank than you and have these masteries that buff their effectiveness.Now, that's in an ideal world, but you are curious about siege and they are weary veterans who have done it a zillion times, so by all means jump on the siege and use it, but don't waste your points in mastery ... until last.

SUPPLY

Supps are the lifeblood of the WvW game. You do everything with supply. So try to make sure you have some.If you stand near a tower, keep, camp (henceforth referred to as Objectives) you should look in the top right corner of the screen - it says "Supply in Depot".When you press F while standing near the big pile of boxes, you collect supply.You can see how much supply you are carrying - it's that number at the top of the screen next to the barrel.

The other numbers are score and tick timer.

SCORE

The score has evolved over the years to mitigate giant spikes of activity (also known as night capping).So the things that display the score are a bit all over the place.In addition to PPK (points per kill), you get score by PPT (points per tick) - ofc PPKers tease PPTers, but we secretly know they need each other.Here is how PPT works;If you hold an objective, you get points every few minutes for holding it. Simple!If you put your mouse pointer over the number at the top of the screen a dropdown shows a summary of the number of objectives each team has.When you press B, the default pane is the pie chart. Next to the pie chart are the scores...On the right is Warscore.When the TICK timer drops to 0, the points at the top of the screen are added to the warscore.When the SKIRMISH TIMER (also at the top of the screen in small text) hits zero, the team with top warscore gets 5 VICTORY POINTS, second gets 4, third gets 3.Those VICTORY POINTS are added to the score on the LEFT of the pie chart.Whoever has most victory points at the end of the match is the winner.

LADDER

The ladder is a secret list of Worlds.This ladder is ONLY available on third party websites.When you win a matchup, your World goes UP the ladder!When you lose a matchup, your team goes DOWN the ladder.If you don't do either, you remain in your current tier.(if you lose in the bottom tier you remain in bottom tier, if you win in top tier you remain in top tier)NOTE: Tier 1 is not always the most fun!

Voice Comms

Probably the best thing you can do to improve your gaming experience is to join a voice comms team (you don't have to talk, just type responses in chat, people are understanding if you're shy or mute or have no microphone). Voice lets you hear the intentions of the commander, listen to real humans - the difference between listening and reading emotionless text is phenomenal.

That's the basics of the game, you should probably just follow a commander tag at prime time. Good luck.Ask for help in /team chat. There's often someone who wants to show a newbie around.

@Weerus.3701 said:Thanks for the warm welcome. I decided to go with main - mesmer. So now I have pretty much full equipped minstrel chrono. Only missing few +5 concentration infusions. I saw its an off support, healer? With a lot of boon strip. Any advices on how to play this class effectively in group? I guess solo is not an option here :D

God aweful choice. You should rethink that.

Make sure to avoid rangers and thieves when you are at the squad's tail, as a minstrel chrono, you have no way to defend yourself.

And some enemies might take you as the commander so you will get sniped non-stop when you are on a squad. And also unless the squad really knows you, they will not welcome you that much as opposed to being a Firebrand or a Reaper. :)

@PrinceValentine.9320 said:Make sure to avoid rangers and thieves when you are at the squad's tail, as a minstrel chrono, you have no way to defend yourself.

And some enemies might take you as the commander so you will get sniped non-stop when you are on a squad. And also unless the squad really knows you, they will not welcome you that much as opposed to being a Firebrand or a Reaper. :)

Don't be last. The last person always gets picked off.

As mesmer you're traditional role is to provide Pulls (focus #4), Portals, Veil. If you need help with those things, ask another zerg mesmer. Good luck finding one, they're all gankers afaik.

• 2 weeks later...

@Svarty.8019 said:

@"Weerus.3701" said:Hello, I'm playing since 2012, but I've been mostly focusing on fractals and what time I had left I raided or sPvP. I never basically played WvW besides initial try years ago, and I'm itching to give it another go.

Get ready to die. A lot!

Understand that your server has cycles of population now. So there will be times when you get utterly demolished by opponents - this is my favourite time to play. Small victories in a time of despair are more interesting than rolling over enemy stuff with a giant zerg.

But I'm getting ahead of myself;First, press Bon the left press the bottom iconThis will show you your

World vs World ABILITIES

Aim to get1 point in gliding, then1 point in Warclaw, then4 points in provisions mastery->F2P players start hereGuard KillerDefense Against GuardsThings that involve SupplySiege stuff last of all - don't man siege if someone else can do it - they are probably higher rank than you and have these masteries that buff their effectiveness.Now, that's in an ideal world, but you are curious about siege and they are weary veterans who have done it a zillion times, so by all means jump on the siege and use it, but don't waste your points in mastery ... until last.

SUPPLY

Supps are the lifeblood of the WvW game. You do everything with supply. So try to make sure you have some.If you stand near a tower, keep, camp (henceforth referred to as Objectives) you should look in the top right corner of the screen - it says "Supply in Depot".When you press F while standing near the big pile of boxes, you collect supply.You can see how much supply you are carrying - it's that number at the top of the screen next to the barrel.

The other numbers are score and tick timer.

SCORE

The score has evolved over the years to mitigate giant spikes of activity (also known as night capping).So the things that display the score are a bit all over the place.In addition to PPK (points per kill), you get score by PPT (points per tick) - ofc PPKers tease PPTers, but we secretly know they need each other.Here is how PPT works;If you hold an objective, you get points every few minutes for holding it. Simple!If you put your mouse pointer over the number at the top of the screen a dropdown shows a summary of the number of objectives each team has.When you press B, the default pane is the pie chart. Next to the pie chart are the scores...On the right is Warscore.When the TICK timer drops to 0, the points at the top of the screen are added to the warscore.When the SKIRMISH TIMER (also at the top of the screen in small text) hits zero, the team with top warscore gets 5 VICTORY POINTS, second gets 4, third gets 3.Those VICTORY POINTS are added to the score on the LEFT of the pie chart.Whoever has most victory points at the end of the match is the winner.

LADDER

The ladder is a secret list of Worlds.This ladder is ONLY available on
When you win a matchup, your World goes UP the ladder!When you lose a matchup, your team goes DOWN the ladder.If you don't do either, you remain in your current tier.(if you lose in the bottom tier you remain in bottom tier, if you win in top tier you remain in top tier)NOTE: Tier 1 is not always the most fun!

Voice Comms

Probably the best thing you can do to improve your gaming experience is to join a voice comms team (you don't have to talk, just type responses in chat, people are understanding if you're shy or mute or have no microphone). Voice lets you hear the intentions of the commander, listen to real humans - the difference between listening and reading emotionless text is phenomenal.

That's the basics of the game, you should probably just follow a commander tag at prime time. Good luck.Ask for help in /team chat. There's often someone who wants to show a newbie around.

OMG, thanks for that awesome info <3

@moutzaheadin.4029 said:

Hahaha, which class would you recommend? XD

@Weerus.3701 said:

Hahaha, which class would you recommend? XD

Soul beast or condi rev for starters. You’ll thank me later.

@Weerus.3701 about class choice, HFB is good. even core guard or dragonhunter are useable these days, if u feel like dps.

soulbest and condirev are roaming classes only, useless in larger scale. minstrel chrono is fine, you find a sample set on gw2mists.com

what chronos really can do: they provide boonstrips, reflects, heals, aegis, pocket-resurrections, pulls, bit of alacrity (not the most used thing in wvw), pulsing aoe cc with gravity well, stealth support

... so are vefsatile group supporters if played correctly.