rename retreat.

lil muffin.1250

• 2 weeks later...

The aegis is the more important part of the skill to me, so I'd like something that calls to that more.

"Incoming!" was a paragon shout that gave a move speed boost and a heal. Which I guess isn't the same as aegis, but I think it still works in the sense of warning your allies so they can defend against attacks.

"Shields Up!" was a shout that boosted armor, so I think that works too. But it was a warrior shout (so was Retreat though) and maybe not as good at representing the swiftness aspect.

• 4 weeks later...

I started playing GW2 last year around Halloween, so I'm not exactly a newb anymore, but as a Guardian fanatic. The Pally/Guardian/Knight/etc.-type class/profession has consistently been my favorite class in almost any MMO I have played for as long as I can remember. When Diablo III came out I was pissed because in D2 the Paladin had been my favorite class, for example. (side note: I promptly forgave them once the expansion was announced xP).

I like everything about this class "archetype" out of all the major ones. Don't get me wrong, I'm a hardcore gamer, and have OCD, so I love pretty much any class, but if I could only play one, it would be this kind. And I know I'm not alone, too. Just looking at this post (or the several others with the same topic—I was originally going to make an original post myself before a simple search of the word Reatreat on the forums search box brought me to the conclusion that the situation is much, much worse than I had feared.

You see, I'm a hopeless optimist, and I had mistakenly held up hopes that we could use reason or even some simple scurr tactics to convince ArenaNet to change the name of this brutally awesome skill with something else. It shouldn't be that hard, right? I mean literally ANYTHING would be acceptable. Naturally, some of the above-mentioned names would be best, but I repeat, at this point, ANYTHING would be acceptable. I personallyh like the "Shields Up" or "Incoming" suggestions from @hatsamu.4327. So much so, ,in fact, that they inspired me to try my own hand and come up with a couple: (1) "Fall Back!" and (2) **"

Fall Back! is a little tricky to explain. Ask the meaning of the command will probably get you a different answer for every person you ask, but in my experience and what I was trained (Disclaimer: don't quote me—it's been about 18 years since I was in SOI so...) was that the phrase, like all military verbal commands, has a specific meaning that is clear has a distinct purpose. Perhaps if ArenaNet's profession designer for the Guardian researched or looked up what their skills' name's actually meant, this outstanding ability would not have such a sad, tragic name. Thus, it may differ a bit from one "army" to the next, "fall back!" basically means a unit is being ordered to stop what they are currently doing and, while continuing to engage the enemy as much as is possible, move backward or away from them, usually towards a specific, often nearby position that is somehow more advantageous or defensible, where they will likely continue fighting and hopefully be able to once again advance.

Now the problem with ArenaNet's name is obvious, but I've put two important parts of this definition in bold, because these parts are specifically at odds with the meaning of the command "Retreat!" Retreat literally mean just get away from the enemy. In some forces it's OK or required to continue fighting, but the ultimate objective is no longer to displace (move) yourself to a better fighting position or "rearrange" your forces. The purpose is just to run away so you can fight again, basically. And that's not what the "Retreat!" command seems to be for, imho. Besides, and probably more importantly, it just plain sounds stupid. I hardly ever use it just because it really is just too embarrassing to have your avatar basically shouting "Run away!" all the time like Monty Python lol. (No offense to Monty).

• 2 weeks later...