After the Mac discontinuation - Mac (that uses Intel) on Windows Dual Boot

Just an update, I squeezed enough free HD space (thank you cloud storage!) out of my 256GB early 2015 Macbook 12-inch to use Bootcamp and install GW2.

— Windows 10 Home for free, it works. Downloaded it directly from Microsoft. (The ‘Activate Windows’ semi-transparent box is distracting until we pay, but hey it’s free to use and test with.)— GW2 on Bootcamp Windows 10, it works too. I was able to do the Bjora Marches metas, do my dailies, and even attend some guild events. (My ancient laptop had 5-8 FPS and 300ms ping even when it was the GW2 Mac client so not much difference. Heck, the Windows version added 3 FPS and less 30ms ping :lol: )— As a bonus, we can finally install add-ons like TacO. :heart: (Yay for gaming compatibility!)— I used SharpKeys to remap my keyboard. In line with a Mac user’s muscle memory : I made the Cmd key into Ctrl, and the Ctrl into the Windows key.(You’ll understand if you have the Mac keyboard layout... and accidentally press the Cmd/Windows key and minimize the game during a fight. :lol: The simple keyboard remap I mentioned resolves it.)

Bootcamp is a lot more automated compared to 8-10 years ago. Windows looks a lot more aesthetic than I remember too. :lol:Fellow Intel-based Mac users, there is hope for us.

• 1 month later...

@Chrysline.2317 said:Just an update, I squeezed enough free HD space (thank you cloud storage!) out of my 256GB early 2015 Macbook 12-inch to use Bootcamp and install GW2.

How did you free up enough HD space?Any recommendations on HD allocation and set up for the following:1) 256GB internal HD has 30GB free and Mac IOS takes up 120GB;2) Extra TBs on external thunderbolt HD;3) Can adding Fat32, xFat or NTFS window partitions on external HD help?

My understanding is Bootcamp wants about 125GB, correct?Is there a goos way to make other part of internal HD real slim?

Any advice appreciated.

@"Svata.8034" Hi there! I can only speak for what I’ve done with my laptop.

When I partitioned mine for Bootcamp, I think the split I used was 135GB (MacOS) and 121GB (Bootcamp Windows). (I wanted to make it an even split, but my Mac required that I give it 10GB of free space. It makes sense.)

My Windows Bootcamp partition only has Windows, GW2, and Windows updates installed. Right now, my Bootcamp drive says 107GB with 27GB free. I’m guessing some of the missing GBs go into hidden system-related uses.

For my MacOS, I only have MacOS, some software I always use, and a few files I’m currently working on. Even then I still have 10-20GB of free space. I’ve deleted apps I don’t use. I jettisoned all my movies, photos, old documents, etc. into external HDDs. (Since I did KonMari tidying back in 2017/2018, I already had 4 external HDDs designated for a specific purpose.)

As for files I’m currently working on, I have everything on Microsoft OneDrive. Their annual (family) Microsoft Office subscription gives 1TB of cloud storage space. (There’s a “free up space” option that allows you to only download the folders you’re currently using.)

Before buying Cloud storage, try checking your organization or family subscriptions. You may already be paying for some cloud storage space providers (eg. iCloud, Dropbox, etc.). If not, MEGA gives 50GB of cloud storage on their free plan the last time I used them. (Fair warning: MEGA can take ages to upload/download files between devices.)

If Bootcamp just does NOT work for you, here is a resource one of my guildies followed: http://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without-bootcamp/It worked for his Mac, and he’s playing fine now.