Better previews? - [Merged]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never understand the Gw2 preview window. It is a shame you can not zoom in and out, or even move the camera.

The other part I can not understand is the fact that the menu can be reflected onto the preview window (seriously some weapons can reflect the menu).Since the menu is reflected, this suggests to me that the menu is another overlay (like a 2nd version of the game running at the same time), if this is the case then camera controls could in theory be added to the menu system, allowing you to zoom in and out, or even moving the camera up and down, see the FFXIV preview window as a key example here.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:an option to remove armor (like in the make-over shop) would fix this, able to zoom a bit further out could be a small change that helps tons.

or just starting with a larger window

the preview window isn't even large enough for some daggers

or play the game on a higher resolution than 800X600, i can see everything just fine on my 2715x1527 resolution.

The size of the preview and TP windows are unaffected by resolution so that is a very stupid comment.

then why is it a non-issue for me?the suggested improvement would improve it in one go, a bigger preview doesn't solve anything so don't start with stupid with me.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:an option to remove armor (like in the make-over shop) would fix this, able to zoom a bit further out could be a small change that helps tons.

or play the game on a higher resolution than 800X600, i can see everything just fine on my 2715x1527 resolution.

The size of the preview and TP windows are unaffected by resolution so that is a very stupid comment.

then why is it a non-issue for me?the suggested improvement would improve it in one go, a bigger preview doesn't solve anything so don't start with stupid with me.

You are using norn and charr characters and have no issues?

@sorudo.9054 said:

Changing resolution wouldn't solve the issue. The preview window would render within the same space but at a different ratio.

@sorudo.9054 said:

because you haven't bothered to understand the issue before posting?

The image OP posted in the very first post is 2,560px × 1,440px

@maddoctor.2738 said:You are using norn and charr characters and have no issues?

Issue still exist on asura. Less but the tops of staffs still get cut off.

@sorudo.9054 said:

You never answeerd my previous question. You can see all the character+weapon in the preview without the borders cutting the weapon off?

EDIT: Can you post a screenshot?

• 2 weeks later...

@Veprovina.4876 said:

You never answeerd my previous question. You can see all the character+weapon in the preview without the borders cutting the weapon off?

i did answer your question but you don't want to accept any, but if you really need prove, here you go.https://i.postimg.cc/j5V9vnmk/gw006.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/FsPB8BwS/gw007.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/RZybVnSV/gw008.jpg

oh and actually thinking of the improvement i suggested would help your argument, you're complaining without accepting improvements.

@sorudo.9054 said:

i did answer your question but you don't want to accept any, but if you really need prove, here you go.

oh and actually thinking of the improvement i suggested would help your argument, you're complaining without accepting improvements.

Wait, what are you talking about, what improvements?The only thing you suggested is to "play the game in a resolution higher than 800X600 - which all of us do, i don't think anybody plays the game in 800x600 and changing the resolutions doens't change previews.

I asked you this:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

I play on 1440p and i can't see most weapons fully when in the shop preview.So, how exactly are you seeing them fully? Is there a trick or something?

Theese are all your posts in this thread. Please tell me which one answered my question.

@sorudo.9054 said:

i did answer your question but you don't want to accept any, but if you really need prove, here you go.

I don't see an answer to the question "i play in 1440p - how do i fit the entire character in the preview window". If the "solution" is "don't play in 800x600 - i don't, i play in 1440p which is why i asked you how do i fit a Norn or a Charr in that window and preview greatswords and staffs fully.

Also, what are the characters on the screenshot, are they human or norn?

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Wait, what are you talking about, what improvements?The only thing you suggested is to "play the game in a resolution higher than 800X600 - which all of us do, i don't think anybody plays the game in 800x600 and changing the resolutions doens't change previews.

I asked you this:

I play on 1440p and i can't see most weapons fully when in the shop preview.So, how exactly are you seeing them fully? Is there a trick or something?

Theese are all your posts in this thread. Please tell me which one answered my question.

I don't see an answer to the question "i play in 1440p - how do i fit the entire character in the preview window". If the "solution" is "don't play in 800x600 - i don't, i play in 1440p which is why i asked you how do i fit a Norn or a Charr in that window and preview greatswords and staffs fully.

uhmm so you're just going to ignore the whole zoom part?

@sorudo.9054 said:

I asked you this:

See this is what i'm talking about, what zoom part?You can zoom your character in the preview window?Cause i never found a way to do it...Is this common knowledge or something?

If you're going to call me out on something can you please then elaborate on what you mean?

• 2 weeks later...

@Veprovina.4876 said:

I asked you this:

See this is what i'm talking about, what zoom part?You can zoom your character in the preview window?Cause i never found a way to do it...Is this common knowledge or something?

If you're going to call me out on something can you please then elaborate on what you mean?

i really need a facepalm emote here because i need to repeat myself constantly out here.

let me say this so even you can understand.there is a preview window, this window doesn't work right.you like it better, i like it better.i suggest a zoom function, you don't listen.

understand now?

@sorudo.9054 said:

I asked you this:

i really need a facepalm emote here because i need to repeat myself constantly out here.

let me say this so even you can understand.there is a preview window, this window doesn't work right.you like it better, i like it better.i suggest a zoom function, you don't listen.

understand now?

You made it sound like there is a zoom function. Cause you said that you had a solution to my problem, but you clearly don't, you just had a suggestion that it would make it better? Is that what you're saying? If so, you have a really roundabout way of saying things like, yes a zoom function would help, but it's not in the game currently, so what, this was all just a misunderstanding? I was under the impression (and i think everyone else reading this was as well), that you were implying changing the resolution fixes the problem and makes the character fit the preview window. Then you posted screenshots to prove it, then you implied there's a zoom function, and now you're saying you only said that if they implement a zoom function that it would solve the issue...

Man, this conversation is all over the place.

For me, the whole trading post, especially the Gem-store is "bugged".Before I get a preview displayed, it takes forever, because the individual tabs take forever ... I prefer to look at everything in the wardrobe or online if anet has once again missed to update the first.

So yes, in general, the Gemshop can use a general overhaul ...

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Been a complaint since release, especially on "big" characters. I have no clue who tested this before the game came out, but they did a lousy job on not including a zoom or window-resize option.

Yup! I mean, someone had to test this before rolling it out, were they just "hey like, 50% of the characters don't even fit the window, my work here is done" or "meh, good enough to sell our stuff for real money to paying customers"* and called it a day? It's baffling how this even made the first cut let alone stayed that for this long.

Actually, i kinda get why it stayed like that, they did have a lot of new content rolled out, and TOOONS of problems to address down the line, but i can't believe no one at any point thought, hey maybe we should make the buying experience a bit better for the customers?

Especially since:

@"Fuchslein.8639" said:For me, the whole trading post, especially the Gem-store is "bugged".Before I get a preview displayed, it takes forever, because the individual tabs take forever ... I prefer to look at everything in the wardrobe or online if anet has once again missed to update the first.

So yes, in general, the Gemshop can use a general overhaul ...

This! The gem store is lagging so bad, that i don't want to even browse it most of the time.But i have to every time i wanna search the trading post, the sneaky cats!Takes forever to load, you get no feedback if you clicked anything, making it so that you click more than you wanted, and the store just goes balistic after that (because the clicks "linger" and click after the page changes potentially clicking on something else entirely), like, it's a complete mess!

And ok, i'm not the big spender here, i buy gems but mostly for convenience items and Living Story, but you know, maybe sometimes i'd like a skin or something, but the gem store is giving me anxiety every time i have to go there.

@kharmin.7683 said:Well, we don't know how hard it would be to fix or how much development resources would be required to address it. It could be a lot more than we expect since much of GW2 is built on the old, spaghetti code.

It seems like this gets said whenever there's a bug, feature that's functioning poorly, etc. It makes it sound like after the next expansion comes out the game's back end is due for an overhaul since seemingly every gripe a player could have is held back by it lol.

@Pacificterror.7805 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Well, we don't know how hard it would be to fix or how much development resources would be required to address it. It could be a lot more than we expect since much of GW2 is built on the old, spaghetti code.

It seems like this gets said whenever there's a bug, feature that's functioning poorly, etc. It makes it sound like after the next expansion comes out the game's back end is due for an overhaul since seemingly every gripe a player could have is held back by it lol.

Well to be honest, the game could use an overhaul... Not only for stuff like this, but general performance too.But yeah, i won't say always, but a lot of times someone has a gripe with something, there's usually an argument that either *the code is spaghetti and you can't make a simple change" or "i'd rather they work on X feature"...

At which point - if the code really is sphagetti, then the time is now to re-do it otherwise it'll just get more and more tangled until you get an unfixable major problem that will ultimately be the downfall of the game.

My suggestion for Anet is - release the xpac, then fix the game code. Detalis matter a lot, and i think we can all wait a bit for new content after the xpac until the game is stable. I mean it's 8 years old and people with ray tracing graphics card are complaining that it doesn't run stable, like, this shouldn't be happening... It'll future proof the game in the long run.

@kharmin.7683 said:Re-doing the code would be starting from scratch. Not sure you guys would want no work on GW2 for the next 2-4 years. Anet would probably go out of business with no revenue during that time.

Other games do it without content suffering, not sure why GW2 wouldn't be able to accomplish it when it sounds like it'd help resolve so many issues ¯_(ツ)_/¯ It seems to be a common theme on threads here - people making up reasons why things can't get better or making up excuses for as to why things have not already improved.

@Pacificterror.7805 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Re-doing the code would be starting from scratch. Not sure you guys would want no work on GW2 for the next 2-4 years. Anet would probably go out of business with no revenue during that time.

Other games do it without content suffering, not sure why GW2 wouldn't be able to accomplish it when it sounds like it'd help resolve so many issues ¯_(ツ)_/¯ It seems to be a common theme on threads here - people making up reasons why things can't get better or making up excuses for as to why things have not already improved.

No one is making up excuses. The devs have specifically stated this issue of code being a significant problem.

And GW2 is not like "other games". Even the business model is different.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Re-doing the code would be starting from scratch. Not sure you guys would want no work on GW2 for the next 2-4 years. Anet would probably go out of business with no revenue during that time.

No one is making up excuses. The devs have specifically stated this issue of code being a significant problem.

And GW2 is not like "other games". Even the business model is different.

Yes but at what point does it actually become making excuses though?

And i'm not saying you're wrong, the devs did state that, but we have no way of knowing if it's actually that bad, or how long it would take to fix it.More so - i do believe the code is a mess, i mean, i play the game almost every day now and it definitely shows, but as the code is something that every other aspect is built upon, isn't it kind of "unwise" to be adding layers upon layers of additional code on top of the broken one, instead of taking a break and fixing what needs to be fixed?

Cause eventually, it will all collapse if they don't fix the foundation.

Now, would it really take 5 years to fix the code? Would it take so long to even write the code from scratch?I don't think so...I mean, it's not like they would be developing a game from scratch, the assets are there, the logic is there, the "everyting" is there so that's not something that needs changing. If they only worked on the engine and the foundation, i don't believe it would take that long. Plus, it's possible to add minor stuff in the game to keep it interesting, but i don't think even that would be required. You said, "no content" for X years. To me, and i think a lot of people that are concerned about the game's longetivity, a new engine itself would be content, even if nothing was changed gameplay wise.

A new improved engine would draw in new players, bring back old ones, and future proof the game. To me that's content, and it's more substantial content thatn adding a new raid wing or a map or an event that people will get bored with in a week. Because people get bored with new content easily, there's people that finish a map within days, then complain almost immediately that they're bored and Anet isn't providing content... Those are only a vocal minority though. The game is huge when you look at it. The only players that are bored are the ones that have done everything and don't know what else to do. So content wise, there's enough to keep people entertained for a long time, especially after the Xpac (after which i think they should start working on the engine).

There's also a case where, a lot of the times, people on the forums are making excuses for Anet, claiming X thing would be impossible, and that kinda encourages passivity.But the truth is that none of us know how bad it is, so understand, this is just my opinion of course. I just fear that, if the code is such a mess, that the game will soon die, and i've seen it happen to other MMOs and games. I don't want this to happen to GW2. I'd like to see them try and future proof the game.