What new endgame systems should Anet implement?

I feel like the game could use some fun endgame progression systems other than legendaries, I'd like it to have that same horizontal progression feel as that's one of the things I like about this game. Does anyone have any suggestions? NOTE: This is not content: fractals, dungeons, etc, THIS IS END-GAME GOALs people fine compelling. I'm okay with comments on these systems, I think they're still useful, but I think a core problem with the game is if you're not interested in crafting/legendaries, there's not really an in-your-face progression system once you get full ascended, sure there's still the normal AP/cosmetics, but I think there needs to be SOMETHING people can be striving for.

I'm not sure this is really all that compelling, but an idea I had was legendary food of some kind, but instead of the legendary being consumable, it generates consumable for you and is customizeable. May it would be limited use. Or consume mats to produce the food and the food would be tradeable.

I'm trying to solo DRMs and I'm realizing there's some very specific affixes or capabilities I want to see, but they don't have that combination or it's not tradeable and I can't make it yet.

Also i feel like the game needs something that's satisfying as far as progression goes, but is more targeted towards people who don't like crazy things like legendaries. That's probably something this game needs very badly. I think there's plenty of people who make a coherent set of exotics or ascended gear and just feel done.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I’d rather they focus on the existing ones over creating yet another system they’ll later abandon.

Ouch, this hurt. I was advocating for something with more staying power. Though it is fun sometimes to navigate old content.

They're not really building out their existing ones very much -> We haven't had a new legendary in a long time, over a year now, almost 2, we've received like 2 new fractals, but they only matter when they're a daily and most people don't like doing Sunqua. And we've had no new raids (note: not a progression system, it's an end-game activity, which is far different). The only thing they've added is metas in IB. And strikes.

Neither of those last 2 things are a progression system. I think we need some end game goals to chase, not necessarily systems.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:I’d rather they focus on the existing ones over creating yet another system they’ll later abandon.

Ouch, this hurt. I was advocating for something with more staying power. Though it is fun sometimes to navigate old content.

They're not really building out their existing ones very much -> We haven't had a new legendary in a long time, over a year now, almost 2, we've received like 2 new fractals, but they only matter when they're a daily and most people don't like doing Sunqua. And we've had no new raids (note: not a progression system, it's an end-game activity, which is far different). The only thing they've added is metas in IB. And strikes.

Neither of those last 2 things are a progression system. I think we need some end game goals to chase, not necessarily systems.

Not quite a year yet but pretty close

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Conflux

You could always try to go for infusions those are endgame progression right?

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I’d rather they focus on the existing ones over creating yet another system they’ll later abandon.

I guess I'm just jaded from seeing almost everything that gets added slowly abandoned except for whatever will be the next living story episodes. I'm not entirely against some sort of progression system but how to make that work for all types of players, from the hardcore to the super casual, is a mystery to me. My opinion is just one person's opinion so don't let that stop you from thinking up ideas.

Yeah, I'd like to see them build on things rather than started than moved onto the next thing. Lotro did that and it just became a mess of systems with half finished progressions that in the end never carried over as the game expanded.

I'm not against more new ones, but GW2 has plenty of end game systems it can expand upon that I'd rather not see abandoned

@Firebeard.1746 said:I'm not sure this is really all that compelling, but an idea I had was legendary food of some kind, but instead of the legendary being consumable, it generates consumable for you and is customizeable. May it would be limited use. Or consume mats to produce the food and the food would be tradeable.Do you think the game needs this kind of power creep? Between the Legion Waystations and Ascended Food, Mount Engages and SAK Powers, isn't the PvE content being trivialized enough? Do we need to creep yet another source of buffs to ridiculous proportions?I'm trying to solo DRMs and I'm realizing there's some very specific affixes or capabilities I want to see, but they don't have that combination or it's not tradeable and I can't make it yet.New stat combos would be welcome, but I have to think are pretty much guaranteed. We used to get a new stat combo every living world release. I'd actually expected IBS to have some new ones. If End of Dragons doesnt throw us four or five new stat combos I would be disappointed.Also i feel like the game needs something that's satisfying as far as progression goes, but is more targeted towards people who don't like crazy things like legendaries.

Progression is already earned via the Mastery System.And you cannot deny that the Masteries in Icebrood have crept not only the power level of a player but seriously crept their rewards. The mounts power crept players in untold ways gradually via masteries, Ascended cooking is progression,,,ect ect ect...Are you at mas masteries?

id rather them focus on exisitng content, as whats already there is already REALLY good, just needs more love. if EoD was just fleshing out already existing content, new raids, fractals, guild mission stuff in xpac zones, pvp maps, masteries, guild hall stuff, that'd be amazing.

But if they must add something, fishing would be nice

Others have already said it and I agree. They should look into fixing a bit of the existing endgame content imo.

Now as for new content. I'd like to think that Auric Basin and Tangled Depths are good. You have mechanics. And there are bosses that will kill you. So avoiding is important, and they require people to cooperate.So more of thos would be nice.

More fractals. And make cm's for the current fun ones. Chaos, Thaumanova and Sirens Reef come to mind quickly.

New raids are kind of a must for endgame content. It is one of the most game defining content gw2 has. The mechanics, the dps check, and just the satisfying feeling after every completion... It keeps a lot of the playerbase around.

Competetive content, in the form of WvW. This content is, at least by me, considered as the game defining content no other games have. They have to make sure people can play, so more maps maybe? I see queues a lot. No matter how good your ai is, people will always feel more like a challenge. Maybe implement a 1v1 or 2v2 section somewhere where people can compete for a small amount of points for their world. Idk, just throwing something out there. I dont play wvw for the small battles.

I would like to say more maps like Drizzlewood, because the concept is great, but, Drizzlewood is a snoozefest. There is no real challenge, well, thats a lie, the challenge is getting to 150% asap. But the mechanics are lacking and I feel there is so much potential.

Lastly strikes. Make the existing ones more challenging and just add a lot of the roaming champions from Icebrood as a strike. (dominion keepers, 2 other bosses from drakkar, the 4 bosses from grothmar).

That is where endgame content lies. Big dragons, challenging fights. And there is so... Much... Potential. I hope they get it together.

Edit: fixed all my phonetypos

I still have enough PvE unlocks (achievements, skins) to do. And for real "endgame" I like to enjoy to replay harder PvE content which can still be enjoyed and might feel different depending on the group you play it with. Even some open world stuff that is hard/aimed at a lot of players ... can be fun if you do it with less players. (To make it harder instead of just zerging and pressing 1.)

Then theres is WvW and PvP ... those need a lot of updates. That is where the endless replayability should be. (Cause of the different other human playery you fight ... that don't act like a scripted AI.)

I guess I can see them introducing legendary food at some point in the future. Though it would likely function similiar to legendary gear, where you get to select a food buff from the pool of existing foods, probably with some sort of cooldown to prevent a single person with legendary food from spamming out 14 ascended feasts in 2 minutes.

Rather than more new systems that get abandoned along the way, I'd Arenanet to revitalize instanced group content like Dungeons and Strike Missions.They could also add more of Season One to the scrying Pool.

Arenanet could also develop and add fractals that are aimed at the average players.

@Fueki.4753 said:Rather than more new systems that get abandoned along the way, I'd Arenanet to revitalize instanced group content like Dungeons and Strike Missions.They could also add more of Season One to the scrying Pool.

Arenanet could also develop and add fractals that are aimed at the average players.

All fractals are aimed at the average players.You even got 4 different difficulties to target even the low and lower skilled players.Dont just see the added challenge motes witch are far and few in bettwen all the other content drops and say there is too little for the average or low skilled players.

If they add a new end game system I hope they continue providing content for it and not mismanage/mishandle it or show incompetence dealing with the content. And after abandoning it blame it on "low player count". Of course it will have low player count if it's abandoned and barely gets any updates. What they should do is pick end game content and stick with it, especially the end game content that exceeds their expectations in terms of player counts (until it's killed)

@Linken.6345 said:All fractals are aimed at the average players.Siren's Reef has too many CC mechanics, too many adds and too much condi spam to be considered aimed at the average.

The Molten Furnace Boss remake no longer is possible with most average T3 players as the flaming whirling winds and the AoE burn are too much.And the hit boxes of said winds often are much bigger than the visuals, requiring players to almost perfectly stand in the absolute middle between two of them.

Twilight's Oasis' Boss' HP and AoE spam are too bloated for average T3 players to hold out until the end.

Sunqua Peak's last boss has too much HP and too many AoE mechanics for Average players to properly deal with.

As you ought to be able to see, none of these are aimed at the average.They simply aren't enjoyable.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Linken.6345 said:All fractals are aimed at the average players.Siren's Reef has too many CC mechanics, too many adds and too much condi spam to be considered
aimed at the average.

The Molten Furnace Boss remake no longer is possible with most average T3 players as the flaming whirling winds and the AoE burn are too much.And the hit boxes of said winds often are much bigger than the visuals, requiring players to almost perfectly stand in the absolute middle between two of them.

Twilight's Oasis' Boss' HP and AoE spam are too bloated for average T3 players to hold out until the end.

Sunqua Peak's last boss has too much HP and too many AoE mechanics for Average players to properly deal with.

As you ought to be able to see, none of these are aimed at the average.They simply aren't enjoyable.

Then do t2 or t1 of those fractals.Average is not t3 , you can be a average t4,t3,t2 or t1 player.If your average is not high enough then drop down a level.

low effort high impact:-they should add a new game mode without any downstate for fractals t4/cms, raid/cms with repeatable reward for veterans-they should add a new game mode with lower skill requirement to favour the access to raid (removing mechs, making new players less overwhelmed when starting, e.g: no blue VG) with reward repeatable but turned down compare to current encounter.it would make player able to have a more clear progression instead of moving from strike to raid which can seems very different and still overwhelming to a beginner eye even if some mech are similar.

higher effort, less impact:-make new fractal here and there-make new raid here and there-make new dungeons here and there-forget about the "champions" experiment and start releasing living world again

there is no need to create brand new things, just reworking what they already have to satisfy a broader part of the community, ease their access, offer an harder version for hardcore players and then build on it is a far better path than creating new quite similar stuff while not really being the same.

This is why people think anet has mismanaged the game so much, instead of continuing to support the system they already have, they spend all their time reinventing the wheel. So far we have had 4 different iterations of 5 man instanced content, story dungeon (molten facity, aetherblade, and scarlets funhouse), the core dungeons, fractals and now drms. We have had two iterations of 10 man content, raids and strikes. The you have all the abandoned content, like guild missions and guildhalls. But of course everytime a new system is released, it takes them 6 month to get them to same polished state as the previous system. You still can not join a drm midway through like all other instanced content.I want no new endgame system, I want new content on the existing systems. Hell i would be more excited about EoD having a new dungeon and guild missions with the ability upgrade a guildhall to lvl 80 than another new system. At least then i would know management at least has learned to stop "bulding a framework" and start using the frameworks they already have made.

Non tradeable gear that augments a skill against pve monsters.

eg. of a GreatswordHundred Blades leeches life from plant enemies.

eg. of a ShieldCan't be CC'd from harpies when Shield of Absorption is active.

The conditions to get a drop can be like a treasure hunt. If you salvage the item it could make a glyph that goes into weapons of the same type. Greatsword glyphs, shield glyphs, gun glyphs.

The game could keep adding them and people who want to collect them all would have to find out how to get the gear to drop.

For me the games end content is to get better in the game (especially pvp)They don't need to bring new endcontet but they should overwhole old stuff and old contentI like fractals, I like the core maps and I like doungensRefreshing all stuff would be very sweet.

And I would like to have a pve map where I can do pvp but with pve stats (no wvw has not Pve stats" something that would fit cantha like a monk dojo or stuff like that where you can challenge peoe to duels

I think making more meaningful masteries could be a start. Adding vendor unlocks and skills that can only be used on certain maps, and only after accumulating orbs from mobs for a special action key isn't exactly beneficial to the whole game.

We did have the charzooka or whatever that mastery is though, right? That can be used in all maps.

But I think there's probably more they could add combat-wise.

As far as playable content - I think no matter what they add unless it's just highly enjoyable, will fall victim to the same thing that all the rest do. - People not bothering with it because the rewards are lackluster.

But it would probably help to understand their reasoning for abandoning things so quickly. Like Fractals. Not entirely abandoned, but we've seen one new one in what.. 2 years?

Is this because they didn't want to invest the resources? Do they think players aren't interested? What wouldn't players be interested, if that's the case?

Is it because the rewards are stale and after a first time running through if you have the legendary backpack there's really nothing keeping veterans interested outside of wanting to just play the content out of fun?

Is it because the agony resistance system isn't new-player friendly?

I don't know. DRM's were obviously implemented because they're a low-resource way of providing content that doesn't involve map-artists or any elaborate encounter designs.

But Visions of the Past - seemed cool and got one iteration. Strike missions are literally ONE room with a boss that may have some encounter design involved but likely didn't get too much interest from the playerbase because aside from the runic armor set and boneskinner weapons (that are a bit too grindy on the worst strike mission boss for me), we didn't really see any overly interesting rewards.

My only suggestion is adding a better reward system to whatever endgame content they add. Have mobs or event completion give a currency and a guaranteed way to purchase something that can also drop rng from a boss or lootbox. As it is right now it feels like lottery-winning odds to get anything other than a bunch of junk you'll inevitably convert to crafting materials.

The main issue is, it's free content and whatever rewards they add are things that they can't monetize in the gemstore. So armor, weapons, mount skins, etc are going to be scarcely added. I'd personally love it if they converted some of their existing assets into guild decorations, created tokens for them that can be dropped by mobs/bosses/champs/or rewarded with event completion.. that can be sold on the trading post. That way if the individual that gets them doesn't want them they can turn them for profit.

Maybe we'll see some cool stuff as they finish up on the expansion.