Best EU server for WvW? (Guild presence and fights)

Super Fuzz.4980

Hey guys, just transferring from NA. Which server on EU has a good amount of guilds organised with Discord? I am more into guild vs guild fights (blobbing) than PPT. I tried Piken Square which is T1, but it seems to be mostly PVERS? Haven't seen many open tags or guild activity despite it being T1. I also tried Desolation last week, and it's kind of dead. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

You could try joining a link server (Aka, a server too small to be on it's own under any circumstances) The downside of it is that you cant predict with whom you'll be paired with, and you may just have uphill battles number wise depending on the pair. On the upside, it keep things fresh since even if you find yourself in a bad matchup, you'll eventually get out of it. You may also find what each server is actually like and how well they manage.

Used to be, link servers were kind of looked down upon for being more of a dead weight than anything, but some fight guilds established their home on it, and larger servers came to have a bit more respect toward them as a result. Now it feels more like being a mercenary of sort, joining a side for an extended period of time, and eventually facing off against a past ally.

On a completely different note : Mind that servers have peak hours and low hours : you may just have logged in several times during your past servers low hours and thus not seen anyone on. Peak hours vary from server to server, but when it comes to EU, it is mostly early evening to just before midnight.

Piken and Deso have both guilds. One can well argue about their qualities but seeing no guild at all is a tiny bit strange. My guess is that Naxos asked the right question about the time of the day when you are playing. Guilds are normally raiding between 8pm and 10 pm CET (2pm-4 pm US East Coast).

@Super Fuzz.4980 said:

@Super Fuzz.4980 said:I tried Piken Square which is T1, but it seems to be mostly PVERS? Haven't seen many open tags or guild activity despite it being T1. I also tried Desolation last week, and it's kind of dead.

Somebody drank the EU koolaid

average ping dropped by 50-80 by moving to EU.

O.oOh, wow. Mind revealing which region you live in?

@"Super Fuzz.4980" said:I am more into guild vs guild fights (blobbing) than PPT. I tried Piken Square which is T1, but it seems to be mostly PVERS? Haven't seen many open tags or guild activity despite it being T1. I also tried Desolation last week, and it's kind of dead. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Desolation is currently trying to tank and drop down a tier, meaning a many players are going to play other stuff and not much anybody tags up. Seems to be working well, as both enemy servers just focus on us, thus a guaranteed loss for us. :)

Numbers can come up once we reach a tier, where we are not that outnumbered.

Desolation hasn't had that much WvWvW specific guilds for ages. In other words those guilds migrated already long time ago and most just disbanded after leaving.

Even when were "full" last time, barely any queues. Even if a 1 or 2 guilds would move to Desolation I doubt we can create queue to more than 1 map. I cannot comment reset as I almost never play Friday reset.

Ayna

@LetoII.3782 said:

@Super Fuzz.4980 said:I tried Piken Square which is T1, but it seems to be mostly PVERS? Haven't seen many open tags or guild activity despite it being T1. I also tried Desolation last week, and it's kind of dead.

I live in U.K. Not only has the average ping dropped by that much, but the "normal" lag spikes you get with 3 zergs on the map don't happen as much for me now - and they aren't as bad. Only problem is T1 EU (moved to Piken Square) is nothing like T1 NA. Not to trash talk but many, many PVE players fill the WvW maps and do not want to push or fight. It's very hard without a tag to get any coordination - even with a tag it's still difficult. :/ Might go back to NA...seems like better players overall in WvW.

@"Super Fuzz.4980" said:I live in U.K. Not only has the average ping dropped by that much, but the "normal" lag spikes you get with 3 zergs on the map don't happen as much for me now - and they aren't as bad. Only problem is T1 EU (moved to Piken Square) is nothing like T1 NA. Not to trash talk but many, many PVE players fill the WvW maps and do not want to push or fight. It's very hard without a tag to get any coordination - even with a tag it's still difficult. :/ Might go back to NA...seems like better players overall in WvW.

I can confirm your observations. The current state of EU T1 is a bit strange. Many casual players are around. It is a bit better if you are lower in tiers but the average player changed. If it is better on a NA-server is beyond me. The ping will definetly go up.

Yeah piken currently in t1 wasn't the best choice, even arborstone if they lead in french has a decent amount of open tags and guild raids.

Being in t1 too long, tends to bring more fairweathers wvwers, but also t1 has a ton of clouds and roamers.

Unless you can get a proper organized squad together, with vets or people in current WvW guilds, it's even almost impossible to fight a decent cloud these days, not that you should want to fight one.

@Super Fuzz.4980 said:

I live in U.K. Not only has the average ping dropped by that much, but the "normal" lag spikes you get with 3 zergs on the map don't happen as much for me now - and they aren't as bad.

Well, that's not a surprise really. Even light takes a moment to cross the Atlantic.

seems like better players overall in WvW.

I'm sure the nerd rage radiating from your neighbors is saving you a ton this winter xD

@gloflop.3510 said:

I can confirm your observations. The current state of EU T1 is a bit strange. Many casual players are around. It is a bit better if you are lower in tiers but the average player changed. If it is better on a NA-server is beyond me. The ping will definetly go up.

Yeah the ping was very high - but now I don't bother playing WvW mostly because the state of the players really is that bad overall :/ I think I will have to transfer back to NA.

You should go back to NA. I used to play from 2012-2015 in wvw all the time in EU. Stopped due to severe burn out. Came back in 2020 to see what was happening. The state of EU wvw has really changed, it's such a bad environment now, the elitism is off the charts. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of elitism back when GW2 first came out. But back then, there was server pride and a community to set some sort of server foundation which relied on public commanders helping to coordinate and train pugs. However now, the guilds really do think they're gods gift to mankind and it is no longer an environment for a new player, let alone a new person to join the community

The reason you're seeing a lot of "Pve" players is because:1) you joined the latest bandwagon, there are no proper communities in EU wvw anymore, there are only wandering guilds, wandering pugs and static pugs. If there are communities, they are tiny and the large majority of them are not loyal and will login to their alt accounts at the first sign of losing or if they get wiped2) every time these guilds create the latest bandwagon server, they snap up all of the semi-hardcore/hardcore players from that server and then these players are only seen with their guild and don't care for playing under a public tag again because the elitism of the guild they joined rubs off on them3) Once more bandwagoners find out where the next great server is, they'll flood it. Guilds complain that people have followed them over. Massive queues happen. Guilds leave with the players they sucked up

Rinse and repeat and you'll see the issue and you'll see why playing without a guild absolutely sucks. There's no proper community guilds to get involved with because there is no loyalty, the players who have some commander potential are just being taught to enjoy fights and not fighting for the server, nobody is training new commanders, there's no incentive to bother to become a pug commander - even when some people try to tag up publicly, they just get yelled at by toxic guild members and elitists for taking up precious space, nobody is training pugs to become better. Pugs just get called pve players and get tricked into changing maps so that guilds can fit their very average players in. Maybe these things happen in NA as well. I'm just speaking from my experience after returning.

Ive gone on a bit of a tangent but while it can and should be blamed on the players, really, the majority of the blame lies with anet. They really messed up. This game mode had great potential but they've ruined it with their stale decision making and it's now rotting.

• Like 1

No offence Morphman, but NA from what I've heard, i highly doubt NA is that much different either.

Like on here a server in the EU with a high pug population, we do encourage new players, who are willing to learn and join discord, but the fact is, there is a large pug population, that would rather follow a chatmander or ktrain commander, so you end up with a squad who brings sub-optimal builds or classes during or just after prime time, especially during the weekends; where there is alot of fights against organized groups.

@"Morphman.6312" said:You should go back to NA. I used to play from 2012-2015 in wvw all the time in EU. Stopped due to severe burn out. Came back in 2020 to see what was happening. The state of EU wvw has really changed, it's such a bad environment now, the elitism is off the charts. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of elitism back when GW2 first came out. But back then, there was server pride and a community to set some sort of server foundation which relied on public commanders helping to coordinate and train pugs. However now, the guilds really do think they're gods gift to mankind and it is no longer an environment for a new player, let alone a new person to join the community

The reason you're seeing a lot of "Pve" players is because:1) you joined the latest bandwagon, there are no proper communities in EU wvw anymore, there are only wandering guilds, wandering pugs and static pugs. If there are communities, they are tiny and the large majority of them are not loyal and will login to their alt accounts at the first sign of losing or if they get wiped2) every time these guilds create the latest bandwagon server, they snap up all of the semi-hardcore/hardcore players from that server and then these players are only seen with their guild and don't care for playing under a public tag again because the elitism of the guild they joined rubs off on them3) Once more bandwagoners find out where the next great server is, they'll flood it. Guilds complain that people have followed them over. Massive queues happen. Guilds leave with the players they sucked up

Rinse and repeat and you'll see the issue and you'll see why playing without a guild absolutely sucks. There's no proper community guilds to get involved with because there is no loyalty, the players who have some commander potential are just being taught to enjoy fights and not fighting for the server, nobody is training new commanders, there's no incentive to bother to become a pug commander - even when some people try to tag up publicly, they just get yelled at by toxic guild members and elitists for taking up precious space, nobody is training pugs to become better. Pugs just get called pve players and get tricked into changing maps so that guilds can fit their very average players in. Maybe these things happen in NA as well. I'm just speaking from my experience after returning.

Ive gone on a bit of a tangent but while it can and should be blamed on the players, really, the majority of the blame lies with anet. They really messed up. This game mode had great potential but they've ruined it with their stale decision making and it's now rotting.

Yeah, I am definitely picking up this vibe on Piken Square at least. I am finding even if there is an open tag in quiet hours, a lot of the people on the map won't follow it or co-ordinate. The issue with poor builds is a big problem too. I think I really liked HoD because it does have a stable community feel - some of the players I bump into I have seen around for the last 5 years. I guess that's the most important thing for me - server loyalty and the people make it WvW more fun. I didn't realise some of my friends in Singapore playing on HoD have a 200-300 avg ping! Makes my 80-150 avg not too bad I guess.

• Like 1