Fix Jacaranda and ranger

Eugchriss.2046

This pet has been forgotten by last year's big balance patch. Not only it has not been touched at all by the patch but also it was already broken by design:

• 1 Call Lightning: This is the most absurd skill about this pet. Just to recap, it s a 10s cd skill that hits harder than tier 3 eviscerate, deathstrike, death's judgment...just to name a few. Right now, core rangers and druids are abusing this pet just like they were abusing birds after last year's patch: Build tanky asf and let the oversight pet do all the damage.

• 2 Photosynthesize: I'm not sure if this skill works at all but I hope it does not because giving a 20secs cd flat 5k heal to a pet with 28k hp when ALL rangers healing skills ALSO HEALS THE PET is an extremely poor design. Now add in the fact that average damage went down and the pet can be swapped every 20secs. In short: THIS PET IS UNKILLABLE.

• 3 Jacaranda's Embrace: An elite skill on a pet. This is exactly what this skill is: smaller cd, bigger range, pulsing....in other words, a better version of entangle. This skill + skill #1 is 6-7k (on heavy armor) burst.

All this can make us think that indeed jacaranda is broken when actually it is not (except #3 which definitely needs a redesign). Jacaranda is just a symptom. The real issue is the fact that rangers are able to use expansions pets. Jacaranda would have been fine on soulbeast since it s they only have 1 pet. There is no reason for a f2p core ranger to have fewer options than POF core ranger. They are both core rangers and should both have the same options.

JUST LIKE REV'S LEGENDS ARE LOCKED TO THEIR RESPECTIVE XPACS, PETS TOO SHOULD BE LOCKED TO THEIR RESPECTIVE XPACS. PERIOD

Jaracanda dmg was nerfed significantly in Feb patch, but yeah it does still dmg, because core Ranger doesn't do any dmg

The soulbeast merge heal is no one really using because it has a absurd cast time and it a quater second after the animation ends, it's a dogshit skill

The third is worse than entangle, it's not unblockable and you can dodge that big wood that is flying to you in slowmok

Edit: oh yeah let us use the core pets and not win any match up

@"Eugchriss.2046" said:This pet has been forgotten by last year's big balance patch. Not only it has not been touched at all by the patch but also it was already broken by design:

• 1 Call Lightning: This is the most absurd skill about this pet. Just to recap, it s a 10s cd skill that hits harder than tier 3 eviscerate, deathstrike, death's judgment...just to name a few. Right now, core rangers and druids are abusing this pet just like they were abusing birds after last year's patch: Build tanky asf and let the oversight pet do all the damage.

Call Lightning is actually an 8s cool down lol. It does not hit harder than tier 3 Eviscerate though, and saying that it does is a great embellishment. Due to all the other damage modifiers on a Warrior, an Eviscerate certainly hits much harder than a Call Lightning. We're looking at more than just tool-tip numbers here. The CL is also a ridiculously slow and elongated cast time, which makes that damage as easy to avoid as a Staff Ele casting Meteor Shower on you.

The only thing that allows Call Lightning to hit, is immob spam. And outside of that Call Lightning, the Jacaranda's auto attacks are low impact as well as his other skills.

• 2 Photosynthesize: I'm not sure if this skill works at all but I hope it does not because giving a 20secs cd flat 5k heal to a pet with 28k hp when ALL rangers healing skills ALSO HEALS THE PET is an extremely poor design. Now add in the fact that average damage went down and the pet can be swapped every 20secs. In short: THIS PET IS UNKILLABLE.

Yeah he is a bit tankier than other pets, but it's nothing as bad as you're making it out to be. Consider its F2 skill deals low to moderate damage, it has no other damaging utilities outside of Call Lightning, and its auto attacks are bad damage output, it deserves to have a skill that gives it good sustain.

• 3 Jacaranda's Embrace: An elite skill on a pet. This is exactly what this skill is: smaller cd, bigger range, pulsing....in other words, a better version of entangle. This skill + skill #1 is 6-7k (on heavy armor) burst.

lol This is certainly not a better skill than Entangle. It is not unblockable, it is not an AoE, and it doesn't make special bleed stacks.

The problem with this skill is that it makes roots, which pulse immobs. This F2 skill on the Jacaranda should be a single immob like a Guardian Scepter #3. It shouldn't be making roots. The roots are too much immob in conjunction with Ranger builds that are also designed to spam immob.

If they were to patch this F2 skill and turn it to a single immob rather than a root pulse, it would fix the complaints about Jacaranda and probably put immob spam builds in their place as well. Most people don't realize it but it is that extra Jacaranda root off the F2 that makes for "too much immob" on Ranger immob spam builds.

All this can make us think that indeed jacaranda is broken when actually it is not (except #3 which definitely needs a redesign). Jacaranda is just a symptom. The real issue is the fact that rangers are able to use expansions pets. Jacaranda would have been fine on soulbeast since it s they only have 1 pet. There is no reason for a f2p core ranger to have fewer options than POF core ranger. They are both core rangers and should both have the same options.

JUST LIKE REV'S LEGENDS ARE LOCKED TO THEIR RESPECTIVE XPACS, PETS TOO SHOULD BE LOCKED TO THEIR RESPECTIVE XPACS. PERIOD

Core using expansion pets is fine.

Big thing you have to understand here:

1. Over the years, things like Necro Shroud F kit as well as other class F kits, have been seriously upgraded. Every time they buff something like traits tied to oh say Guardian F1, that F kit becomes more powerful.
  2. Core Ranger pets have not been touched whatsoever in like 8 years outside of the nerfs to birds. They have remained the same power level as they were on initial release. In fact, there have only ever been nerfs to Core Ranger pets.
  3. The expansion pets being used on Core Ranger is a necessary upgrade for Core Ranger to stay relevant. It would be on par with Core Engi if it wasn't allowed to use expansion pets.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:Jacaranda is the best pet atm, agreed there. To make matters worse, you can't even kite it the same way you can Smokescale and birds.

Nah, not by a long shot.

Smokescale is easily the pvp super pet.

You guys all up in here complaining about Jacaranda, but the truth is that real Ranger mains don't care about Jacaranda cause it's bad. Now if you made a nerf Smokescale thread, you'll see the Ranger Police show up to make hard argument.

My good bros, the Smokescale is a little Power Herald that follows you around who can stealth you.

@Kuma.1503 said:Only problem with Jacaranda isn't even a problem with Jacaranda, but with buggy binding roots.

Necro staff autos still can't hit them btw.

we should be able to crit them thats why you cant even kill those fucks.Like they are SUPER strong but the counter to it is killing the root but you cant crit it so most classes cant fucking kill them anyways -.-

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Eugchriss.2046" said:This pet has been forgotten by last year's big balance patch. Not only it has not been touched at all by the patch but also it was already broken by design:

Call Lightning is actually an 8s cool down lol. It does not hit harder than tier 3 Eviscerate though, and saying that it does is a great embellishment. Due to all the other damage modifiers on a Warrior, an Eviscerate certainly hits much harder than a Call Lightning. We're looking at more than just tool-tip numbers here. The CL is also a ridiculously slow and elongated cast time, which makes that damage as easy to avoid as a Staff Ele casting Meteor Shower on you.

The only thing that allows Call Lightning to hit, is immob spam. And outside of that Call Lightning, the Jacaranda's auto attacks are low impact as well as his other skills.

Yeah he is a bit tankier than other pets, but it's nothing as bad as you're making it out to be. Consider its F2 skill deals low to moderate damage, it has no other damaging utilities outside of Call Lightning, and its auto attacks are bad damage output, it deserves to have a skill that gives it good sustain.

lol This is certainly not a better skill than Entangle. It is not unblockable, it is not an AoE, and it doesn't make special bleed stacks.

The problem with this skill is that it makes roots, which pulse immobs. This F2 skill on the Jacaranda should be a single immob like a Guardian Scepter #3. It shouldn't be making roots. The roots are too much immob in conjunction with Ranger builds that are also designed to spam immob.

If they were to patch this F2 skill and turn it to a single immob rather than a root pulse, it would fix the complaints about Jacaranda and probably put immob spam builds in their place as well. Most people don't realize it but it is that extra Jacaranda root off the F2 that makes for "too much immob" on Ranger immob spam builds.

1. Over the years, things like Necro Shroud F kit as well as other class F kits, have been seriously upgraded. Every time they buff something like traits tied to oh say Guardian F1, that F kit becomes more powerful.
  2. Core Ranger pets have not been touched whatsoever in like 8 years outside of the nerfs to birds. They have remained the same power level as they were on initial release. In fact, there have only ever been nerfs to Core Ranger pets.
  3. The expansion pets being used on Core Ranger is a necessary upgrade for Core Ranger to stay relevant. It would be on par with Core Engi if it wasn't allowed to use expansion pets.

@"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:Jacaranda is the best pet atm, agreed there. To make matters worse, you can't even kite it the same way you can Smokescale and birds.

Nah, not by a long shot.

You guys all up in here complaining about Jacaranda, but the truth is that real Ranger mains don't care about Jacaranda cause it's bad. Now if you made a nerf Smokescale thread, you'll see the Ranger Police show up to make hard argument.

My good bros, the Smokescale is a little Power Herald that follows you around who can stealth you.

yep, I tried all the " good " pets people reccomended and I hated them all exept smoke scale.The AI is just so much fucking better its insane, but what else is there? bristleback that shoots walls, jaracanda that cant hit shit, gazelle that uses charge in melee to run away from an enemy and they get stuck walking back for 10s.Smokescale always does smokeassault after I unmerge so I KNOW what the pet will do and its a god-send compared to random shit the other pets do, I wish I could KNOW when gazelle will make its charge for example so I can play accordingly but I cant, and every time she does something stupid I wish I had smoke-scale instead.

And no, root slaps from jaracanda are VERY powerfull, but for core ranger only. they have high damage but low crit chance, and core gives jara 100% so the root slaps people for 3k-4k, only reason why its strong really. And call lightning is super delayed pulsing aoe, but the issue is that getting hit by first pulse can already be ~3k dmg.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:Jacaranda is the best pet atm, agreed there. To make matters worse, you can't even kite it the same way you can Smokescale and birds.

Nah, not by a long shot.

yep, I tried all the " good " pets people reccomended and I hated them all exept smoke scale.The AI is just so much kitten better its insane, but what else is there? bristleback that shoots walls, jaracanda that cant hit kitten, gazelle that uses charge in melee to run away from an enemy and they get stuck walking back for 10s.Smokescale always does smokeassault after I unmerge so I KNOW what the pet will do and its a god-send compared to random kitten the other pets do, I wish I could KNOW when gazelle will make its charge for example so I can play accordingly but I cant, and every time she does something stupid I wish I had smoke-scale instead.

And no, root slaps from jaracanda are VERY powerfull, but for core ranger only. they have high damage but low crit chance, and core gives jara 100% so the root slaps people for 3k-4k, only reason why its strong really. And call lightning is super delayed pulsing aoe, but the issue is that getting hit by first pulse can already be ~3k dmg.

Only pets worth using in pvp/wvw:

1. Smokescale #1 - This pet has everything. Good sustain, good damage, the damage is even practical and hits easily, he has a CC, and its Smoke Assault/CC always lines up well so you can easily gauge when he'll hit with them. It even has a smoke field for you and your team to leap and blast in for stealth. The Smokescale is a tiny Power Herald that follows you around that stealths you, and when you merge with him it makes a Soulbeast a cross class Power Shiro Herald.
  2. Gazelle is a good swap for when in wvw, when the Soulbeast will need the F2 mobility skill for disengaging large groups of players. Yes, the Gazelle is better than birds for purposes of mobility. The Gazelle F2 has a shorter CD than bird swoops, it goes the same distance, and is a CC for when it needs to be used offensively
  3. Birds & Tiger for Core Marksmanship builds that do not have merge skills
  4. Jacaranda only for condi based builds that attempt to land immobs so someone has to stand in Call Lightning
  5. Bristleback as the swap in some situations. The Bristle is still strong and he stays off node so he doesn't take damage. This is actually a strong option if you know you'll be side noding or in team fights against a lot of high pressure skilled condi players in a match.
  6. And then a far away 6th place would be the normal Wolf with the F2 fear for Core and Druids in wvw. In wvw if you set it to retreat so it never runs in and stays alive better, that fear is actually strong in small skirmish and against zergs. It's much more useful against large numbers than anything that the other pets can bring to the table. Of course Soulbeasts will want to keep Smokescale/Gazelle over this option however, for the merge skills.

The other pets have absolutely nothing practical to bring to pvp. Believe me, I've been trying to design meme builds based around different pets for years, the above 6 are the only ones that are good now.

@"Arheundel.6451" said:NA and Eu teams win tournament finals while using triple revenant...meanwhile the GW2 forum :" Nerf Jacaranda is too OP"...what an absolute joke of an environment is this forum

If we're completely honest here, every pet should fundamentally be more like Smokescale - visual clarity, consistency (both for the ranger and the opposition) in tracking and skill usage, and a notable pattern than has weaknesses and strengths to it.

Doesn't mean revenant doesn't deserve to get looked at, too. 'Nerf X' and 'nerf Y' are not mutually exclusive.