Deimos Fight, how does Gambler Saul choose his fixate?

My raid group does ranged strat on Deimos and I oil Kite on my soulbeast. we didn't used to have this issue but in the past couple months, when the gambler version of Saul (the one that splits into 4) comes back up he always chooses me to fixate on. this causes issues because then he's standing in the oils and its difficult for everyone else to damage. We thought maybe it was a toughness thing so I would unmerge with my pet before he comes back up since that gave me a bit of toughness. He still fixates on me every time. Does anyone know why or how he chooses his fixate? It didn't used to be that way, just in the past couple months. Just looking for any insight on this so we can try to change who his fixate is to help in the fight. Thanks!

because it puts them in the middle of all the sauls when he splits and thats not good. they cant go too far back or they get the hands and off to the sides but out of the middle puts them in the slam area which is the whole reason for doing ranged strat, not to have to worry about the slams. Its just difficult when he fixates on me at the edge of the platform and is in the middle of all the oils. Just looking for any insight as to how he chooses his fixate to make it easier on everyone.

@Moi.5013 said:ok well it also puts them out of range of the slam so they don't have to worry about it but that wasn't my question or concern anyways.

If they're doing ranged strat then they must have ranged weapons. Ranged weapons allow players to hit enemies from outside of melee range. Something standing in oil being a good example of an enemy that players with ranged weapons can hit.

@Moi.5013 said:because it puts them in the middle of all the sauls when he splits and thats not good. they cant go too far back or they get the hands and off to the sides but out of the middle puts them in the slam area which is the whole reason for doing ranged strat, not to have to worry about the slams. Its just difficult when he fixates on me at the edge of the platform and is in the middle of all the oils. Just looking for any insight as to how he chooses his fixate to make it easier on everyone.

how is it bad? if you can hit deimos from far, so you can hit the add from far.adds are targetting the lowest toughness (not sure if hk can be targetted or if he is immuned, so randomly between all or BS if he is in berzerk mode. this is if all are using raid builds, if you team has custom armor stats then its possible that all your teammates have more toughness than you and so he comes to you.not sure I understand everything though, from what i get you're black kite as Slb?

It is actually a good question. First things first. Many of you have answered that you can still pew pew the mob from distance: wrong, saul's clones can bodyblock the projectiles causing issues.

I don't know what makes the aggro mechanic there, but it might be one of those: most condi damage (if playing condi soulbeast) or maybe even most damage OR number of attacks per second. Soulbeasts usually have many fast hitting attacks like lb 2 or 5, it might be the issue. The person who does most ammount of attacks gets some mob aggro, but not sure about Saul, just an idea. Lastly soulbeast has that weird toughness thingy on merge. If you are the only soulbeast in the group, maybe you get to be the 2nd highest toughness after tank which causes the mob to aggro. Anyway this is an interesting question, I'd like to know that too. I will try to test it this week if I manage to convince my friends to play ranged on Deimos.Btw, did you try to stealth yourself for a moment to lose aggro ? I am not sure if it will work, but might be worth giving a try. The lb 3 should be able to do the job.

@Armen.1483 said:It is actually a good question. First things first. Many of you have answered that you can still pew pew the mob from distance: wrong, saul's clones can bodyblock the projectiles causing issues.

I don't know what makes the aggro mechanic there, but it might be one of those: most condi damage (if playing condi soulbeast) or maybe even most damage OR number of attacks per second. Soulbeasts usually have many fast hitting attacks like lb 2 or 5, it might be the issue. The person who does most ammount of attacks gets some mob aggro, but not sure about Saul, just an idea. Lastly soulbeast has that weird toughness thingy on merge. If you are the only soulbeast in the group, maybe you get to be the 2nd highest toughness after tank which causes the mob to aggro. Anyway this is an interesting question, I'd like to know that too. I will try to test it this week if I manage to convince my friends to play ranged on Deimos.Btw, did you try to stealth yourself for a moment to lose aggro ? I am not sure if it will work, but might be worth giving a try. The lb 3 should be able to do the job.

Uhm your supposed to take down the clones so them body blocking dont make a differance.My comment about pew pewing from range was to avoid the black the correct clone of the 4 was standing in that they had to take down.And if it was toughness it went after it would go after hand kite 100% of the time.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Armen.1483 said:It is actually a good question. First things first. Many of you have answered that you can still pew pew the mob from distance: wrong, saul's clones can bodyblock the projectiles causing issues.

Uhm your supposed to take down the clones so them body blocking dont make a differance.My comment about pew pewing from range was to avoid the black the correct clone of the 4 was standing in that they had to take down.And if it was toughness it went after it would go after hand kite 100% of the time.

Losing precious time to kill clones with already a low DPS is not the best idea in my opinion, you are NOT supposed to kill them, just the real one. With that logic you could advise killing Deimos melee, but that doesn't answer the question of the OP, I am pretty sure they know about that.Hand kite doesn't always have high toughness.If playing herald you can go with no toughness at all too. And maybe even there is a mechanic that makes mobs not aggro HK at all. Anyway there are many bugs concerning toughness aggro since the launch of Deimos especially when there are soulbeasts and firebrands around. Jumping also messes up aggros there sometimes.

You can. The clones don't stack on top of each other and are fairly spread apart. I'll also remind you that the OP's issue is that their group of ranged players cannot hit the clone (or Saul) when it's on an oil (see below).

My raid group does ranged strat on Deimos and I oil Kite on my soulbeast. we didn't used to have this issue but in the past couple months, when the gambler version of Saul (the one that splits into 4) comes back up he always chooses me to fixate on. this causes issues because then he's standing in the oils and its difficult for everyone else to damage. We thought maybe it was a toughness thing so I would unmerge with my pet before he comes back up since that gave me a bit of toughness. He still fixates on me every time. Does anyone know why or how he chooses his fixate? It didn't used to be that way, just in the past couple months. Just looking for any insight on this so we can try to change who his fixate is to help in the fight. Thanks!

@Armen.1483 said:Losing precious time to kill clones with already a low DPS is not the best idea in my opinion, you are NOT supposed to kill them, just the real one. With that logic you could advise killing Deimos melee, but that doesn't answer the question of the OP, I am pretty sure they know about that.How can an add break the line of sight when 4 add are placed on a circle centred around the middle of the arena (which is where you are standing)? Anyhow I don't think there is any ways to control where the real add will spawn when it split in 4 and i don't think it was the question as the 4 add don't move at all and are not folowwing anyone.

Hand kite doesn't always have high toughness.If playing herald you can go with no toughness at all too. And maybe even there is a mechanic that makes mobs not aggro HK at all. Anyway there are many bugs concerning toughness aggro since the launch of Deimos especially when there are soulbeasts and firebrands around. Jumping also messes up aggros there sometimes.You already gave up on good gameplay by choosing the ranged strat itself so you might as well go for tank, bk and hk with crazy high toughness like full minstrel (bk 1 +5th inf and tank 2 +5 th inf) so you are extra safe on the 3 important role for that strat.

@Fangoth.4503 said:

@Moi.5013 said:because it puts them in the middle of all the sauls when he splits and thats not good. they cant go too far back or they get the hands and off to the sides but out of the middle puts them in the slam area which is the whole reason for doing ranged strat, not to have to worry about the slams. Its just difficult when he fixates on me at the edge of the platform and is in the middle of all the oils. Just looking for any insight as to how he chooses his fixate to make it easier on everyone.

how is it bad? if you can hit deimos from far, so you can hit the add from far.adds are targetting the lowest toughness (not sure if hk can be targetted or if he is immuned, so randomly between all or BS if he is in berzerk mode. this is if all are using raid builds, if you team has custom armor stats then its possible that all your teammates have more toughness than you and so he comes to you.not sure I understand everything though, from what i get you're black kite as Slb?

Yes Im oil kite as soulbeast. and with my pet merged I have 1150 toughness. the rest of the DPS is at 1000...so if hes supposed to target lowest toughness hes not doing that. Perhaps I need to submit a bug report on this. and I know its not the worst thing that hes targeting me while Im oil kiting....it just would be better if he didnt.

Thanks! This is helpful! I do have that extra toughness from the pet merge so we tried where I unmerge before the team comes back to the platform with saul and he was still choosing me. I have had a couple people tell me hes supposed to target lowest toughness but thats not working if its true because I have more toughness than the rest of the DPS merged with pet. He will target me if Im merged or not. Will try the LB3 to see if he will de aggro next time we do it. thats a good idea!

@Moi.5013 said:

Yes Im oil kite as soulbeast. and with my pet merged I have 1150 toughness. the rest of the DPS is at 1000...so if hes supposed to target lowest toughness hes not doing that. Perhaps I need to submit a bug report on this. and I know its not the worst thing that hes targeting me while Im oil kiting....it just would be better if he didnt.

for some reason the add often go for slb when Bs are not ib berzerk (no clue why). Maybe try raising a bit your toughness or if it doesn't work with another class (and make sure your teammates are lower than you :)

someone in my guild mentioned the sam> @Fangoth.4503 said:

@Moi.5013 said:

for some reason the add often go for slb when Bs are not ib berzerk (no clue why). Maybe try raising a bit your toughness or if it doesn't work with another class (and make sure your teammates are lower than you :)

Yep someone in my guild said the same thing...so I think I will try adding a toughness infusuion and see if that helps. Thanks for the reply!