Champions Chapter 3 [spoiler discussion]

EdwinLi.1284

Well it is almost time and looks like Braham will be meeting with Primordius.

Take your bet to where this may lead and of course we will discuss this matter in depth once the chapter is released.

For me there is may two outcomes....

1) Braham becomes Primordius Champion which may force us to kill him later in the storyline or he becomes Primordius Champion just so he can trick Primordius later and dies doing so.

2) We learn something we never knew before about Primordius and Braham remains loyal to our side instead of becoming Primordius Champion.

or

3) Braham dies because that is the most common method for the story writers to remove a character from the storyline since they can't allow most characters to retire from the storyline alive and healthy.

@Fueki.4753 said:Primordus has yet to actively corrupt anything living, so I doubt Braham will become its champion.

And no, the Stone Summit don't count.They accidentally did that to themselves, Primordus didn't do that.

The Stone Summit was also converting to stone at the same time. So in the end, Primordus, or rather his power, did just corrupt stone, similiar to how Destroyers are created.

I do wonder if we'll ever see Primordus-corrupted earth elementals.

I think the devs want us to believe Braham will become Primordus’ Champion, but I doubt it’ll go there. Or at least not all the way.

At most I could see Braham forcibly co-opting Primordus’ power with the spirits shielding him from being consumed/corrupted by Primordus’ power. Which I don’t love, but seems more plausible than Primordus giving a rat’s behind about Braham lol.

Edit: maybe the thing Braham is approaching isn’t Primordus, but a scion that could replace him. Perhaps that’s something related to owl’s prophecy.

As long as braham dies quickly, That sounds good. And the idea of ​​killing him myself is more than appreciable, I can't waitEven if as gw1 players and having known the great destroyer, it's pathetic to see primordius associated with braham but nothing surprises me anymore with arena.the old writers have been gone for a while so the story will look like a filler until the end.

Well the prophecy is either Braham dies or Jormag dies, right? But that's assuming that Jormag kills Braham or Braham kills Jormag.

It could be intentionally misleading and insisting that the two are adversaries. That the resolution is Jormag dies by Braham's hand. But the twist could be that the resolution is that whatever actions Braham takes, that leads to his death, is the better version of the prophecy.

So my thoughts are, Braham works with the spirits somehow not to kill Primordus but to subdue it or siphon it somehow. Perhaps the spirits even share somekind of unknown history with Primordus that we'll learn about in the episode. I've always really liked the idea that Primordus could somehow be linked to the Spirit of Fire that the kodan use and the magic that Braham's bow uses. It doesn't fit NOW, but it doesn't seem implausible that they could tie it in if they really wanted to.

Then you have Jormag left to deal with, and with Primordus out of the picture would it be possible that Jormag would go back to just being something we learn to deal with. With the final chapter being called "Judgment" perhaps we deal with Primordus completely in this episode and the final episode is us and Aurene judging Jormag and what steps we should take towards it.

I really don't see Braham just willingly becoming a champion of Primordus, or wanting to even borrow power with the sole mission of killing Jormag.

He states that 1000's of people have died because of the Elder Dragon and seeks to end it. To me that implies that he's seeking more than some edge over Jormag, because (hopefully) he realizes that the death of Jormag is just as cataclysmic at this moment. So whatever plans he has with Primordus and the spirits I think is in a much wider scope than just looking for a power boost.

With Primordus resolves that leaves the final chapter to finish off Jormag and then whatever happens that leads us to Cantha to potentially deal with the last remaining dragon, or to start looking for more replacements for the current ones. (Potentially some information provided to us by the spirits.)

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:Well it is almost time and looks like Braham will be meeting with Primordius.

Take your bet to where this may lead and of course we will discuss this matter in depth once the chapter is released.

1) Braham becomes Primordius Champion which may force us to kill him later in the storyline or he becomes Primordius Champion just so he can trick Primordius later and dies doing so.

2) We learn something we never knew before about Primordius and Braham remains loyal to our side instead of becoming Primordius Champion.

or

3) Braham dies because that is the most common method for the story writers to remove a character from the storyline since they can't allow most characters to retire from the storyline alive and healthy.

It's a long shot but...given that Braham's approaching Primordus accompanies the fomer's questioning of the Elder Draconic Cycle, musing that something has to change, I think that Braham is going to commune with the mind of the Elder Dragon Primordus and reach an epiphany. Primordus may surprise Braham, telling the norn that Jormag's protection is the right choice for the norn. This makes the most sense to me from a narrative progression standpoint. The dragon preparing to defend Tyria isn't Primordus, it's Jormag. The latter's decision to chill mortals is probably an attempt to preserve them from the DSD's incoming assault.

So, my money is on the idea that Primordus will appeal to Braham to join Jormag and will allow itself to be sacrificed in order to help ready the mortal, terrestrial races to confront, and ultimately reconcile with, the Deep Sea Dragon's magics.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Does Primordus corrupt living things? I thought it didn’t.

Not that we know of, but the Destroyer Queen appeared to lay something skin to eggs, thus implying the possibility of living corruption, but nothing has been confirmed

Something like eggs seems to be the way that Destroyers reproduce in general, so I tend to regard the "maybe a creature got corrupted while pregnant?" thing as being the NPCs speculating based on minions they know (Risen, Icebrood, and Branded being the types they'd be more familiar with) while the behaviour of Destroyers is less well known. After all, back in GW1, we had the Bringers of Destruction spawning what were effectively Destroyer eggs.

Which could even be a reflection of Primordus' conflagration domain. Unlike most minions, which need to be corrupted from existing beings or created directly by the dragon, Primordus's destroyers can reproduce on their own, allowing them to spread like, well, a conflagration. Which would explain why Primordus seems to be largely uncaring of mortals - because Primordus is able to get as many minions as Primordus can sustain through the reproduction capabilities of the champions.

@Stephen.6312 said:

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:Well it is almost time and looks like Braham will be meeting with Primordius.

or

It's a long shot but...given that Braham's approaching Primordus accompanies the fomer's questioning of the Elder Draconic Cycle, musing that something has to change, I think that Braham is going to commune with the mind of the Elder Dragon Primordus and reach an epiphany. Primordus may surprise Braham, telling the norn that Jormag's protection is the right choice for the norn. This makes the most sense to me from a narrative progression standpoint. The dragon preparing to defend Tyria isn't Primordus, it's Jormag. The latter's decision to chill mortals is probably an attempt to preserve them from the DSD's incoming assault.

So, my money is on the idea that Primordus will appeal to Braham to join Jormag and will allow itself to be sacrificed in order to help ready the mortal, terrestrial races to confront, and ultimately reconcile with, the Deep Sea Dragon's magics.

Given how determined Jormag is to destroy Primordus, I doubt Primordus is just going to go "sure, you should go with Jormag".

It could be interesting, though, if Braham is taking the attitude that he should take advantage of his apparent connection to Destroyers to see if he can get Primordus' side of the story. Which could have two possible results:

1) Primordus is exactly what he/she/they appears to be, and once Braham reveals he's not a regular Destroyer, he has to try to fight his way out.2) There's a curveball as it turns out that this is the first time a mortal has actually tried to communicate with Primordus, and Primordus proves to be more open to negotiation than we might think.

A while back, I did ponder the possibility that this isn't the first time that Jormag has used mortals as cats-paws in their desire to destroy Primordus, and Primordus has therefore been acting out of a justified paranoia and the assumption that mortals are a threat because they have been before. It was a wildspec then, and I'd say it probably still is now, but it would be an interesting turnaround if, after the initial truce with Jormag, it turns out to be the persuasive charmer of the two who's the aggressor while the prickly loner really just wants to be left alone but has been attacked so many times that they've learned to push threats as far away as possible. A mortal getting close to Primordus and then using the opportunity to talk instead of attacks might be what's needed to shock Primordus out of their current assumptions.

Or Primordus might simply take the opportunity to claim Braham for their own, alive or dead, willing or otherwise. Either way, it should be an interesting chapter.

• Like 1

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Does Primordus corrupt living things? I thought it didn’t.

Not that we know of, but the Destroyer Queen appeared to lay something skin to eggs, thus implying the possibility of living corruption, but nothing has been confirmed

The wyvern in the Thunderhead Peak DRM also lays eggs. No implication of living corruption.

Besides, the Destroyer Queen - notably a crab - was laying eggs that produced destroyer trolls and harpies. That's not how biology works so I doubt it was a pregnant living like the risen drake/spider broodmothers that hatch risen drake/spider hatchlings.

@Grand Marshal.4098 said:If it leads to some bid Primordus fight, I would like to see a highly intelligent Skritt ally faction for fun and to finally take a look at what a combat-ready collective of Skritt is capable of !

I'm hoping they converge like ants into a mighty morphin skritt zorg. Like the entire colony of them in Brisban shows up as this giant robotic thing covered in metallic scraps and spare parts with lazer cannons.

I think his goal there is to wake Primordus up so the two dragons can fight.

Aside from being twins and that we know that they are each other's weakness... they also have a history of conflict and are the only known Elder Dragons that have physically clashed in the past.. and Jormag was the one who came out of that worse off.

Jormag has been closing that gap though, growing in power to get the upper hand over it's brother while Primordus has been catching some Z's.

I think Jormag's agenda now that it has closed that gap will be to kill Primordus before he wakes up and becomes a far more significant threat to it.. it's the most tactical advantage Jormag has over it's brother.Knowing that we cannot allow Jormag to do that as it will tip the scale far too much in Jormag's favour I think Braham with the guidance of all the Spirits of the Wild will intentionally awaken Primordus to fight Jormag.

I expect our plan will be to strategically kill off both dragons minions while letting Jormag and Primordus fight until both Dragons are left weakened and then we'll launch a massive offensive and kill them both and allow the Spirits of the Wild to "direct the fall" as Owl put it and absorb the 2 Dragons magics.But I expect this plan to go massively wrong and the most likely scenario I predict will be Primordus killing Jormag and then going nuclear on the entire area around it before retreating back into the depths to recover.

The other more unlikely scenario is that somehow Jormag has predicted every move we've made and has done what it does best and deceived us into a trap.Jormag and Primordus somehow came to an "understanding" and the moment when we believe the two dragons are going to fight and we can put our plan into action they instead combine their forces and launch a massive attack on our forces instead and decimate us.. forcing us to go on the run as both dragons are now actively hunting us all down.That would be a pretty fun twist but I don't find it all that likely.

That said.. it could be what sets up Cantha.. forced to flee there as a means of getting away from them both, maybe they'll decimate Tyria entirely.. all the major cities and create a massive refugee crisis to Cantha which is certainly a scenario I could see them trying to explore.

@"Teratus.2859" said:I think his goal there is to wake Primordus up so the two dragons can fight.

Aside from being twins and that we know that they are each other's weakness... they also have a history of conflict and are the only known Elder Dragons that have physically clashed in the past.. and Jormag was the one who came out of that worse off.

Jormag has been closing that gap though, growing in power to get the upper hand over it's brother while Primordus has been catching some Z's.

I think Jormag's agenda now that it has closed that gap will be to kill Primordus before he wakes up and becomes a far more significant threat to it.. it's the most tactical advantage Jormag has over it's brother.Knowing that we cannot allow Jormag to do that as it will tip the scale far too much in Jormag's favour I think Braham with the guidance of all the Spirits of the Wild will intentionally awaken Primordus to fight Jormag.

I expect our plan will be to strategically kill off both dragons minions while letting Jormag and Primordus fight until both Dragons are left weakened and then we'll launch a massive offensive and kill them both and allow the Spirits of the Wild to "direct the fall" as Owl put it and absorb the 2 Dragons magics.But I expect this plan to go massively wrong and the most likely scenario I predict will be Primordus killing Jormag and then going nuclear on the entire area around it before retreating back into the depths to recover.

The other more unlikely scenario is that somehow Jormag has predicted every move we've made and has done what it does best and deceived us into a trap.Jormag and Primordus somehow came to an "understanding" and the moment when we believe the two dragons are going to fight and we can put our plan into action they instead combine their forces and launch a massive attack on our forces instead and decimate us.. forcing us to go on the run as both dragons are now actively hunting us all down.That would be a pretty fun twist but I don't find it all that likely.

That said.. it could be what sets up Cantha.. forced to flee there as a means of getting away from them both, maybe they'll decimate Tyria entirely.. all the major cities and create a massive refugee crisis to Cantha which is certainly a scenario I could see them trying to explore.

Though I don't think Anet's going to alter much if any of the existing maps like they did back in the day, it tends to screw with newer players.