Dual Axe OW Solo/Story

GreenZap.1352

Dual Axe is great for open world/story PvE and to some extent even viable for grp content (just slightly less dps than sword/axe).

Why is not popular? I can only guess, but it might be because many ranger players associate the class with bows, so that's what they use, even if it might not always be the most optimal. Ranger - even when built pretty inefficient - also tends to be fairly easy and safe to play, especially when using bow and a pet to tank aggro ("bearbow ranger"), so most people will be happy with whatever they came up with themselves, resulting in little to no demand for dedicated open world builds/guides.

Imo MH Axe is kinda messy..

The Auto is fine so no issues there.

Winters Bite is good, though the bleeds seem irrelevant, would rather see it deal more power damage.

Splitblade is the skill I really hate the most on this weapon.Large cone makes it hard to hit things with most of the time, especially when moving around so this skill is constantly dealing low damage.MH Axe is also a ranged weapon so requiring you to get right in an enemy's face to make the most of this skill is counterproductive.Bleeding applied on both skills 2 and 3 suggests this is a more condi focused weapon which isn't the case.

Axe trait also only buffs power damage so this is clearly meant to be a power weapon not a condi weapon.I expect the reason for MH Axe getting stuck with a weak condition role is because Rangers don't have access to any MH condi weapons on their core class which makes their OH Torch kind of shafted for a partner weapon.. they kinda remedied that with soulbeast's MH dagger but if anything this is just a good argument for why elite spec weapons should probably become usable without needing the spec equipped if you ask me.

I just threw an Axe/Axe build together for fun just to see how it would turn out in the editor.I might make it in game sometime and see how it goes.If you're interested.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAceFlZkxu6abttu62ZoOsK6L9UOPYyEG-zRRYiR3AH+DJCVVtCx0lIK+EEm/K/G-e

Focuses a fair bit on boon stacking, might and fury mostly and locking down foes with chill and immob for extra damage from Predators Onslaught.You can also get a decent amount of quickness as well to improve your damage and might stacking so long as you time your dodges every 5 seconds.Vigor will help keep your endurance up too, it can be perma sustained through dodging.

• 2 weeks later...

Piggybacking here since I didn’t want to open a thread for the same topic.

I just crafted Astralaria cause it’s so beautiful, but I don’t really have a class or build to play it with.

I thought dual axe warrior, but thematically a Soulbeast seemed like a better fit. Souls, mystic, cosmic energy blah blah.

I also like staying at range since it’s easier to solo open world things. I found a video of a WvW Boonbeast build with longbow and dual axes and Marauder armor. It seemed close to what I was looking for. I’d probably swap the bow for GS or something to fight mobs with reflect. Would a build like this be good?

@"Ajji.6031" said:Piggybacking here since I didn’t want to open a thread for the same topic.

I just crafted Astralaria cause it’s so beautiful, but I don’t really have a class or build to play it with.

I thought dual axe warrior, but thematically a Soulbeast seemed like a better fit. Souls, mystic, cosmic energy blah blah.

I also like staying at range since it’s easier to solo open world things. I found a video of a WvW Boonbeast build with longbow and dual axes and Marauder armor. It seemed close to what I was looking for. I’d probably swap the bow for GS or something to fight mobs with reflect. Would a build like this be good?

Yes, boonbeast (something along the lines of this) is pretty good for open world/solo pve. Decent survivability thanks to prot, cleanses, stunbreak/stab, lots of cc to deal with break bars (or just to pull together a bunch of trash mobs to cleave them down all at once) and still pretty good burst.

@UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

@"Ajji.6031" said:Piggybacking here since I didn’t want to open a thread for the same topic.

Yes, boonbeast (something along the lines of
) is pretty good for open world/solo pve. Decent survivability thanks to prot, cleanses, stunbreak/stab, lots of cc to deal with break bars (or just to pull together a bunch of trash mobs to cleave them down all at once) and still pretty good burst.

Can I stay in beastmode with this build? I heard Boonbeast should never camp beastmode or the same pet. You have to constantly weave F5 and pet swap while you play. It doesn't look like your build would benefit much from this, so it might be easier than I heard? Also, how is the sustain? I tried it real quick without changing any gear (mix of marauder and berserker) and the sustain didn't seem great

@Ajji.6031 said:

@Ajji.6031 said:Piggybacking here since I didn’t want to open a thread for the same topic.

Yes, boonbeast (something along the lines of
) is pretty good for open world/solo pve. Decent survivability thanks to prot, cleanses, stunbreak/stab, lots of cc to deal with break bars (or just to pull together a bunch of trash mobs to cleave them down all at once) and still pretty good burst.

Can I stay in beastmode with this build? I heard Boonbeast should never camp beastmode or the same pet. You have to constantly weave F5 and pet swap while you play. It doesn't look like your build would benefit much from this, so it might be easier than I heard? Also, how is the sustain? I tried it real quick without changing any gear (mix of marauder and berserker) and the sustain didn't seem
great

In PvE it is usually the best to camp beastmode on any soulbeast build. And sustain is not bad on boonbeast, it certainly does not require you to play perfectly. But you can't facetank everything either. If that's the gameplay you are looking for you should probably just run core ranger with a bear to tank for you - but that kind of build is going to deal significantly less dmg and i don't know if it even works. Or go minion master necro ...

@"FrownyClown.8402" said:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POzAceFlZwCZgsOGKWuX7P9S+QaA-zRZYBJmQCBKq0NovShLCsu0qvCJxI0vFxcA-e

If sustain is an issue just run vamp runes

Vamp rune only provides sustain if you keep killing trash mobs - and trash mobs shouldn't be an issue regardless. Against most bosses the rune is useless.

• 2 months later...

I've ran with mostly either condi-sigils or sigils that strip boons on my axes. Most of the builds are increased condi-dmg and extended condi time. It's not rocket science. I've played around with any number of builds that extend bleeding and add poison. I usually try to knock the enemy down or root them with entangle and then switch to Axe/Axe right on them. Although against some tanks or enemy that turns condi's into boons, it's your funeral.

• 3 weeks later...

Dual axe is great for the open world and a viable power dps option in any type of content. Auto-attack is very strong and has a nice bounce cleave and Winter's bite is great Aoe with added chill. You can run it with numerous power dps combinations, whatever you like. LB for some added range even though that's a bit redundant for me and doesn't have that much synergy. GS, Sword/warhorn, Daggers ... all fun and strong.