for those wanted the game on new engine, NCsoft cancelled UE3 to UE4 upgrade for Blade and Soul

just saw this today, guess even UE3 to UE4 was too hard / costly for NCSoft, for a game that brings more $$$ compare to GW2

despite the migration tool Epic can provide, the human and money resource NCSoft can throw at it

https://www.mmobyte.tv/blade-souls-unreal-engine-4-update-is-officially-cancelled/https://kr.ncsoft.com/en/ir/irArchive/earningsRelease.do

guess we can only continue to dream GW2 ever have a more modern game engine :cry:

I am not a fan of any overhaul to new engines or DX12 support.But having said that, I also fail to see the relevance of this news to wether it might happen or not.GW2 is made by Arenanet. B&S is made Team Bloodlust. NCSoft is the owner of both companies and the distributor of both games, but that doesn't make them the same in policy.GW2 runs on a custom made engine and not on a stock engine.

i'm curious if the Crytek engine would be a viable one, dx12, mgpu, ray tracing, etc. but, it goes back to the basics of game development. what matter is the game design, if its fun, if its beautiful and if it is well optimized with no bugs. it will matter NOT what engine it uses but it's overall gameplay. although all those options just add to the toppings :D

What DX is GW2 running? Isn't it still DX9? If so can't they update it to DX11 or 12?I remember when eve online started show it's age so they updated something and my word the difference was amazing. Eve online a very complicated spread-sheet yet their small company managed to update the graphics with amazing results.

@"Joote.4081" said:What DX is GW2 running? Isn't it still DX9? If so can't they update it to DX11 or 12?I remember when eve online started show it's age so they updated something and my word the difference was amazing. Eve online a very complicated spread-sheet yet their small company managed to update the graphics with amazing results.

dx9, but you can use the dx12 mod to convert some of the commands to dx12 which helps a lot. Especially once you edit the "Config.ini" towards your setup ex: use more ram, use more cpu or use more gpu , or more RAM and CPU vs GPU or GPU and RAM vs CPU or more CPU and GPU vs RAM , etc.

using the DX12 andonMax Settings @ 5120x2880 resolution.

My setup:AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970xAMD Radeon RX6800(XFX Qick Speadster 319 rx6800)Asrock TRX40 Taichi32gb G.skill Trident Z AMD Edition(X at end of SKU)3600mhz CL18 DDR4EVGA Supernova G+ 1000WIceGiant ProSiphon Elite

with a 3700x and same gpu or one of equivalent performance with the DX12 mod should be able to achieve this.

@"Joote.4081" said:What DX is GW2 running? Isn't it still DX9? If so can't they update it to DX11 or 12?I remember when eve online started show it's age so they updated something and my word the difference was amazing. Eve online a very complicated spread-sheet yet their small company managed to update the graphics with amazing results.

What you see in front of the screen has nothing to do with what is happening behind the screen.

While I am sure the entire network and architecture for Eve Online is very complex, in terms of actual geometry and collision, the game has far less to handle than regular MMORPGs (Edit: on a per player basis. The huge ship battles obviously take a lot of resources, but in this performance is basically down to:"just don't make it crash"). It's ship models, station models and some other stuff, that's it.

As far as size, CCP has between 250 and 300 employees. Which is pretty much the size Arenanet had before the layoffs. So the "small" company, is not that small. Only when compared to behemoths like Blizzard or other huge studios.

@jishi.7568 said:

dx9, but you can use the dx12 mod to convert some of the commands to dx12 which helps a lot. Especially once you edit the "Config.ini" towards your setup ex: use more ram, use more cpu or use more gpu , or more RAM and CPU vs GPU or GPU and RAM vs CPU or more CPU and GPU vs RAM , etc.

using the DX12 andonMax Settings @ 5120x2880 resolution.

My setup:AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970xAMD Radeon RX6800(XFX Qick Speadster 319 rx6800)Asrock TRX40 Taichi32gb G.skill Trident Z AMD Edition(X at end of SKU)3600mhz CL18 DDR4EVGA Supernova G+ 1000WIceGiant ProSiphon Elite

with a 3700x and same gpu or one of equivalent performance with the DX12 mod should be able to achieve this.

I thought this addon wasn't allowed by Anet, but I'm a misinformed new player. If anyone can shed light on this I would install this immediately.

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:"Better looking" graphics don't make a better game. Start listing the problems this game has that requires a newer engine or overhaul and then we can talk productively.Moving to DX12 wouldnt magically make it look better either so there you go.

@crepuscular.9047 said:just saw this today, guess even UE3 to UE4 was too hard / costly for NCSoft, for a game that brings more $$$ compare to GW2

Others already commented on how fake the first part of your sentence is, as for the second, GW2 is earning more $$$ than Blade & Soul globally since late 2020, and is earning nearly triple the amount of money in NA/EU.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:"Better looking" graphics don't make a better game. Start listing the problems this game has that requires a newer engine or overhaul and then we can talk productively.Moving to DX12 wouldnt magically make it look better either so there you go.

i dont even want "Better looking" graphics or a better game -- i just want a better performing, optimised game for new/modern hardware. the fact that this game can reach a low crawl of sub-35fps on the newest, mid tier~top of the line hardware speaks volumes of how badly designed our engine is with regards to hardware utilisation. it's sad that we have to use third party rendering via dxvk or d912pxy just to partially remedy the performance issues this game is suffering from.

im not even wishing for directx12, like just directx11 with proper multithreading support might already be a day and night difference.

@ topic/OP

and no i don't want UE3/UE4 or the upcoming UE5 for GW2, if you look at most mmorpgs released using the said engines, they all failed (don't know exactly why tbh or if related at all to UE but they all seem to be korean grinders) or if still existing, are completely devoid of players.

and i do believe the engine itself (UE) is a poor choice for MMORPGs like if your game requires displaying many pcs/npcs in one scene and the netcode for it isnt designed to handle the load an openworld mmorpg requires. it's much better suited for lobby/instanced/hub games where the worldsize/mapsize is very small compared to GW2 or any mmorpg with a proper open world.

Strange game in 2021. My rig can run the game with everything maxed out but the game looks ****.If I turn a lot of stuff OFF and/or turn other stuff down to low the game looks a lot better. Go figure.

Shaders for instance. On highest the game looks terrible, on low it looks fine.With post processing ON the world is just a mess of sparkling colours. Multi coloured vomit. Turn it off and the world is back in focus with nice details.

@Joote.4081 said:Strange game in 2021. My rig can run the game with everything maxed out but the game looks ****.If I turn a lot of stuff OFF and/or turn other stuff down to low the game looks a lot better. Go figure.

in my opinion the built-in post processing sucks for the most part. like atleast the bloom effect is bad in certain areas (like some places in core tyria for example)

better to just use a post-processing layer like reshade or vkbasalt (if on linux) and get better effects

@"Redfeather.6401" said:Here is the plan on the game. https://www.bladeandsoul.com/en/game/revival/ I think it would be amazing if gw2 did this.That page is garbage fluff, lol. The UE4 section barely says anything - well except that it looks like it's going to implement things that GW2 has done since 2012.

But granted I'm too old to understand these modern things. I was born in january 1901 after all. I have no idea why that page wanted to know that.