Commander vs Catmander?

So i wanna buy a Commander's tag somewhere down the line cause i wanna do some commanding here and there. Especially when there's no other commanders around, a lot of people, and i wanna do something so i make do with a Mentor tag, but then you can't lfg with a mentor tag for events, and show people where you are at the same time, so, yeah, commander....

Like, i wanted to do some bounties, put in LFG, people joined - it's a squad, but then the mentor tag disappears and i can't show people where i am.

Does Catmander have the same function as Commander or are they different?Also, part of the reason i'll be getting commander is Warbringer. But it says i need to have purchased Commander's compendium. It doesn't mention Catmander's compendium... So i'm wondering if i need to buy a specific one.

Also, do people percieve the tags any different? I don't, but i'm just asking. Like, do people take the commander tag more seriously than the catmander one?

• Like 1

@"Veprovina.4876" said:So i wanna buy a Commander's tag somewhere down the line cause i wanna do some commanding here and there. Especially when there's no other commanders around, a lot of people, and i wanna do something so i make do with a Mentor tag, but then you can't lfg with a mentor tag for events, and show people where you are at the same time, so, yeah, commander....

Like, i wanted to do some bounties, put in LFG, people joined - it's a squad, but then the mentor tag disappears and i can't show people where i am.

Does Catmander have the same function as Commander or are they different?Also, part of the reason i'll be getting commander is Warbringer. But it says i need to have purchased Commander's compendium. It doesn't mention Catmander's compendium... So i'm wondering if i need to buy a specific one.

Also, do people percieve the tags any different? I don't, but i'm just asking. Like, do people take the commander tag more seriously than the catmander one?

 Commander's Compendium, is purchased from a Commander Trainer for 300 Gold coin + 250 Badges of Honor; unlocks the default commander icons. Catmander's Compendium, is purchased from the well-hidden blue or yellow Catmanders for 300 Gold coin + 250 Badges of Honor; unlocks cat-themed commander icons.The Catmander's Compendium will cost 150 Gold coin + 250 Badge of Honor, if the player has already purchased a Commander's Compendium.

Basically the only difference is the icon, the price and the process of acquisition. Hope this helps.

@Sombra.3246 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:So i wanna buy a Commander's tag somewhere down the line cause i wanna do some commanding here and there. Especially when there's no other commanders around, a lot of people, and i wanna do something so i make do with a Mentor tag, but then you can't lfg with a mentor tag for events, and show people where you are at the same time, so, yeah, commander....

Does Catmander have the same function as Commander or are they different?Also, part of the reason i'll be getting commander is
. But it says i need to have purchased Commander's compendium. It doesn't mention Catmander's compendium... So i'm wondering if i need to buy a specific one.

 Commander's Compendium, is purchased from a Commander Trainer for 300 Gold coin + 250 Badges of Honor; unlocks the default commander icons. Catmander's Compendium, is purchased from the well-hidden blue or yellow Catmanders for 300 Gold coin + 250 Badges of Honor; unlocks cat-themed commander icons.The Catmander's Compendium will cost 150 Gold coin + 250 Badge of Honor, if the player has already purchased a Commander's Compendium.

Basically the only difference is the icon, the price and the process of acquisition. Hope this helps.

So the only thing that's different is the icon and the price if you already have one?What about Warbringer? Does it matter which compendium i get? Or do i have to get the Commander's compendium specifically?

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:So i wanna buy a Commander's tag somewhere down the line cause i wanna do some commanding here and there. Especially when there's no other commanders around, a lot of people, and i wanna do something so i make do with a Mentor tag, but then you can't lfg with a mentor tag for events, and show people where you are at the same time, so, yeah, commander....

Does Catmander have the same function as Commander or are they different?Also, part of the reason i'll be getting commander is
. But it says i need to have purchased Commander's compendium. It doesn't mention Catmander's compendium... So i'm wondering if i need to buy a specific one.

So the only thing that's different is the icon and the price if you already have one?What about Warbringer? Does it matter which compendium i get? Or do i have to get the Commander's compendium specifically?

It does not matter which one you get, both give you the same options as commander. As for the Warbringer that is just for aesthetics, if you want to look extra cool while being a commander. So ultimately the choice on compendium is up to you to decide on which icon you like better.

• Confused 1

@Sombra.3246 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:So i wanna buy a Commander's tag somewhere down the line cause i wanna do some commanding here and there. Especially when there's no other commanders around, a lot of people, and i wanna do something so i make do with a Mentor tag, but then you can't lfg with a mentor tag for events, and show people where you are at the same time, so, yeah, commander....

It does not matter which one you get, both give you the same options as commander. As for the Warbringer that is just for aesthetics, if you want to look extra cool while being a commander. So ultimately the choice on compendium is up to you to decide on which icon you like better.

I mean, Warbringer is a legendary backpack, it's not just cosmetics but ok.So, i can get either one and still make Warbringer. Cool, that's what i wanted to know, thanks!

I mean, Warbringer is a legendary backpack, it's not just cosmetics but ok.So, i can get either one and still make Warbringer. Cool, that's what i wanted to know, thanks!

Stat wise it has the same stats as an ascended backpack, I think that is what he meant with it being about cosmetics. Only difference is that with the Legendary Backpack you can change your stats at will and with an ascended backpack you cannot do the same, you could change it, but it would cost a lot.

• Confused 1

I use the catmander tag (purple preferably) in a similar way to how you plan to, I don't run anything regularly but if I'm doing something where a commander would be helpful and no one else has a tag I'll turn it on. I've had a grand total of two negative comments, both quite a while ago. One person I think genuinely misunderstood, they kept saying we needed a "real commander" because the catmander tag is purely cosmetic and doesn't actually give you any of the squad controls, until other people persuaded them to just join the squad and they saw I'd already set the markers they kept saying I couldn't use.

The other just whispered me to say they wouldn't be joining the squad because anyone using "that stupid cat tag" clearly isn't taking the game seriously. That was fine with me, especially since they're right, I don't think a game is serious.

@Sombra.3246 said:The Catmander's Compendium will cost 150 Gold coin + 250 Badge of Honor, if the player has already purchased a Commander's Compendium.

That applies to both as well. If you already have the catmander tag the Commander's Compendium costs 150g.

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Also, part of the reason i'll be getting commander is Warbringer. But it says i need to have purchased Commander's compendium. It doesn't mention Catmander's compendium... So i'm wondering if i need to buy a specific one.

This is the one bit I'm not sure about. I tried to check but I'd need to buy all the earlier wings first to unlock the ability to buy that one, and I don't want to waste all my skirmish tickets. Unhelpfully it's listing all the requirements, both ones I've met and ones I haven't.

Maybe someone else who has the catmander tag and not the normal one can answer that bit?

• Like 1

@"LightofConduct.1693" said:

Stat wise it has the same stats as an ascended backpack, I think that is what he meant with it being about cosmetics. Only difference is that with the Legendary Backpack you can change your stats at will and with an ascended backpack you cannot do the same, you could change it, but it would cost a lot.

Changing stat on backpack is very cheap if you start with the right one https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blood_Ruby_Backpack

As a comm, you get extra useful stuff, like putting down squad markers (think it's the alt option) and you can add extra markers in too, with shift-1 through shift-8, with shift-9 clearing them. So not only can your squad and people not in your squad see you on the map (unless you're a private squad), but you can use markers to provide more structure to the event you are doing. It can be useful. I've put them down behind the claw of jormag's foot in the north meta in DWC to try to get people to stop being knocked back (basically, squad instruction to stand no further forward than the markers). They're also useful if you have new people and you can mark the chests. So the usefulness isn't just the tag, it's also all the extra abilities you get as the comm in a squad.

@LightofConduct.1693 said:

Yeah i know what legendaries are, i was talking about the stat changing and free infusion swapping, that's what i meant. I thought everyone knows that legendaries are no stronger than ascended, i tought that was implied so i didn't point that out. :smile: So when i said, it's not just cosmetic, i meant the free stat/infusion/ changes.

@"Danikat.8537" said:I use the catmander tag (purple preferably) in a similar way to how you plan to, I don't run anything regularly but if I'm doing something where a commander would be helpful and no one else has a tag I'll turn it on. I've had a grand total of two negative comments, both quite a while ago. One person I think genuinely misunderstood, they kept saying we needed a "real commander" because the catmander tag is purely cosmetic and doesn't actually give you any of the squad controls, until other people persuaded them to just join the squad and they saw I'd already set the markers they kept saying I couldn't use.

The other just whispered me to say they wouldn't be joining the squad because anyone using "that stupid cat tag" clearly isn't taking the game seriously. That was fine with me, especially since they're right, I don't think a game is serious.

@Sombra.3246 said:The Catmander's Compendium will cost 150 Gold coin + 250 Badge of Honor, if the player has already purchased a Commander's Compendium.

That applies to both as well. If you already have the catmander tag the Commander's Compendium costs 150g.

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Also, part of the reason i'll be getting commander is

This is the one bit I'm not sure about. I tried to check but I'd need to buy all the earlier wings first to unlock the ability to buy that one, and I don't want to waste all my skirmish tickets. Unhelpfully it's listing all the requirements, both ones I've met and ones I haven't.

Maybe someone else who has the catmander tag and not the normal one can answer that bit?

Lol at the bolded part! :smiley: Yeah, i've met people like that in the game. Not a lot, but come on, it's still a game, of course i'm not taking it seriously haha! :sweat_smile:I don't plan on kicking anyone out of the squads i do, but i'm not gonna cry if people "don't take me seriously" either, i'm just like, you do you....

And yeah the Warbringer is kinda not clear on which compendium it will accept... And i don't have enough tickets to just try it now, plus i'm saving them for armor pieces first... So it'll be a while before i'll actually need it i guess so it's fine. By then i'll probably have enough for both tags lol, maybe i'll revisit this thread after i try getting the Catmander first. :tongue: Don't expect this any time soon though, ticket grind is real.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Changing stat on backpack is very cheap if you start with the right one

I have like 5 of those, they're awsome! The ring and the amulet too! They're like legendary-lite!

@Hesione.9412 said:

As a comm, you get extra useful stuff, like putting down squad markers (think it's the alt option) and you can add extra markers in too, with shift-1 through shift-8, with shift-9 clearing them. So not only can your squad and people not in your squad see you on the map (unless you're a private squad), but you can use markers to provide more structure to the event you are doing. It can be useful. I've put them down behind the claw of jormag's foot in the north meta in DWC to try to get people to stop being knocked back (basically, squad instruction to stand no further forward than the markers). They're also useful if you have new people and you can mark the chests. So the usefulness isn't just the tag, it's also all the extra abilities you get as the comm in a squad.

I love it when comms actually use their abilities. Some don't even bother to wait for some players, they just play solo and happen to lead a squad.Depends on people, but yeah, i know you can do that, and i love when commanders actually try to be useful to the squad and mark stuff that matters.

It might have been explained in this thread, but commander tag where first introduced later in game (during HoT time) and offered squad control, meaning that squad could be split in smaller group (each with its own officer/leader) and in WvW you can see how much sup (impotant for building siege weapon or repairing walls) everybody have been picked up and are carry.

Catcommander tag came later and offer nothing outside its look (which make it possible on an map with 2 purple commander to have one with cat and one without which double the amount of possible combination both in WvW and PvE when colour where limited).

Mentor tag is a much more limited tag as it only make a normal player visible on a map for other player to gather around. It where meant to be used for teaching (that is why it is mentor in its name) and to make it easier for small groups to coordinate things with Party UI.

The main problem is that many player that haven't used or bought a squad tag (commander or catcommander) don't understand how it works and what it can do. They only follow a tag. In Dragon Stand it is useful to splitt groups and here you can see where everybody are during different phases, where someone are dead/downed or just standing still AFK for the big win. Those blue dots make a lot of difference as to know where people are going on maps (both PvE and WvW) and as someone above explained when commanders or people which have been given permission from commander as officer can put down markers for important things, it helps a lot. The most important thing every player should learn is "Cal Target" and "Take Target" as a basic tool as it is fast to direct attention during fights or when someone need to know what to Interact with for loot or events.

(1) Purple is just one out of nine colour that one can pick. Making it to a total of 18 options, when one have both commander and catcommander access.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Catmander%27s_Compendium

@"ShadowCatz.8437" said:It might have been explained in this thread, but commander tag where first introduced later in game (during HoT time) and offered squad control, meaning that squad could be split in smaller group (each with its own officer/leader) and in WvW you can see how much sup (impotant for building siege weapon or repairing walls) everybody have been picked up and are carry.

Catcommander tag came later and offer nothing outside its look (which make it possible on an map with 2 purple commander to have one with cat and one without which double the amount of possible combination both in WvW and PvE when colour where limited).

Mentor tag is a much more limited tag as it only make a normal player visible on a map for other player to gather around. It where meant to be used for teaching (that is why it is mentor in its name) and to make it easier for small groups to coordinate things with Party UI.

The main problem is that many player that haven't used or bought a squad tag (commander or catcommander) don't understand how it works and what it can do. They only follow a tag. In Dragon Stand it is useful to splitt groups and here you can see where everybody are during different phases, where someone are dead/downed or just standing still AFK for the big win. Those blue dots make a lot of difference as to know where people are going on maps (both PvE and WvW) and as someone above explained when commanders or people which have been given permission from commander as officer can put down markers for important things, it helps a lot. The most important thing every player should learn is "Cal Target" and "Take Target" as a basic tool as it is fast to direct attention during fights or when someone need to know what to Interact with for loot or events.

(1) Purple is just one out of nine colour that one can pick. Making it to a total of 18 options, when one have both commander and catcommander access.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Catmander%27s_Compendium

That's a good summary, but I'd like to add two minor corrections:

1) The commander tag has actually been in the game since launch, but originally only the blue tag was available and it was character-specific: buying a tag only unlocked it for that one character. It also cost 'just' 100g which seems quite cheap now but I remember at launch players complaining about the cost and others saying obviously they don't expect one player to save up that much themselves and the idea is guilds or other groups will buy it for their leader. It was updated when Silverwastes was released during Season 2 to offer 4 colours (red, blue, yellow and purple) and to be account-wide, but the price was increased to 300g. Other colours were added later on.

2) The catmander tag offers nothing different to the normal commander tag outside its look. They're functionally identical - whichever one you buy first will unlock access to all the commander abilities. If you choose to buy the other one as well it will cost 150g instead of 300g but it won't add anything except the new icons. There's no need to buy both unless you want both sets of icons.

@Veprovina.4876 said:Ty all for the explanation!I'm still not sure about the Warbringer requirements, but i'm also not in a hurry so if someone knows just post here. :tongue:I just reached rank 500 today anyway, i don't need to buy the commander tag right away.

Congratulations on hitting 500... have you seen the legendary wvw armour???.... ;)

@Hesione.9412 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:Ty all for the explanation!I'm still not sure about the Warbringer requirements, but i'm also not in a hurry so if someone knows just post here. :tongue:I just reached rank 500 today anyway, i don't need to buy the commander tag right away.

Congratulations on hitting 500... have you seen the legendary wvw armour???.... ;)

Yeah, i've seen it. I have 2 legendary pieces already, but not the Mistforged varieties, or sublime mistforged, whatever they're called. I have the chest and the legs. The rest willl com eventually. :wink:But yeah, you don't need to be 500 to make the armor legendary, 500 is just for the glowing version. Which again, you need to buy the basic version first too, so i'll just buy those later and apply the skins on the legendary. :tongue: