Ranger pet swap

Ragnarvor.2351

Thought I'd come back to gw2 and play. I noticed that on my ranger I can no longer swap out pets while I'm in combat. This kinda means there is no reason to even have this option on my tool bar because you have to wait until you're out of combat anyway. Was there some sort of balancing issue with the class? Kinda feels bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Pet swap means certain "effects" occuring during pet swap, no longer work. The effects were towards combat/healing anyways, so now it's just junk. However if you do PvP or WvW, you must know exactly WHICH pet you wish to use before you engage into combat if your a Soulbeast. The reason for this is, I have two pets, one is the Jacarda and the other is Smokescale. If I roam I make sure my smokescale is on for mostly getting in close fast for hand to hand. The Jacarda i'll use if i'm with a Zerg, for the additional burst healing I can give allies nearby. So you knowing which pets to use for the job helps big time. It kinda locks you in to just those pets though during combat. So you'll have to know what sort of combat your going to initiate. PvP, PvE, WvW combat.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:Arenanet introduced trade-offs to
some
Elite Specializations.

fixed that for you

Every Elite Specialization has at least one trade-off.Even if they are forgettable small trade-offs, like Firebrand trading instant Virtues for Tomes, or Tempest only having increased Attunement CD after an overload, they are still considered trade-offs.

@Fueki.4753 said:

some
Elite Specializations.

fixed that for you

Every
Elite Specialization has at least one trade-off.Even if they are forgettable small trade-offs, like Firebrand trading instant Virtues for Tomes, or Tempest only having increased Attunement CD after an overload, they are still considered trade-offs.

I like to think of it as some specs having trade ups where they trade 1 skill for more skills. ?

@Fueki.4753 said:

some
Elite Specializations.

fixed that for you

Every
Elite Specialization has at least one trade-off.Even if they are forgettable small trade-offs, like Firebrand trading instant Virtues for Tomes, or Tempest only having increased Attunement CD after an overload, they are still considered trade-offs.

So then why didn't some ranger skills not being able to work while merged - or having negative effects while merged - not count as a trade off?Guard does nothing when mergedProtect me for a long time didn't give barrier (fixed)Signet of Renewal pulls condis to the ranger (and then kills the ranger)Search and Rescue does nothing when mergedYou don't have a pet while merged

The 'tradeoff' was because people complained rangers were using bird as another kiting option--ridiculous, but that's what did it. It's bad enough you have to take BM to even have a remotely usable pet, and BM is only really critical on SB because of the buffs it gives while merged.

Thus why I don't run SB and just put my pet on passive all the time so I can choose when it engages. Can get some nice desync play that way, and the pet is close for things like smoke field and such.

Though, still trying to fit BM into my build somehow as currently the pets are too slow to hit anything usually lol...

@Gotejjeken.1267 said:The 'tradeoff' was because people complained rangers were using bird as another kiting option--ridiculous, but that's what did it. It's bad enough you have to take BM to even have a remotely usable pet, and BM is only really critical on SB because of the buffs it gives while merged.

Thus why I don't run SB and just put my pet on passive all the time so I can choose when it engages. Can get some nice desync play that way, and the pet is close for things like smoke field and such.

Though, still trying to fit BM into my build somehow as currently the pets are too slow to hit anything usually lol...

you’re wrong about the reason. it was because the sustain you had from smokescale + siamoth was absolutely insane and couple that with perma boons from plasma + moa stance made NM a viable traitline, which meant perma stab, perma 25 might, nearly perma quickness, perma prot, 40-50% alacrity uptime, list goes on, and that’s on top of having stealth from snokescale.

that’s why when trade off patch hit along with dmg nerfs, moa stance got gutted. it was siamoth + smokescale that was the deadliest pet combo.

Without the trade off really there was no reason to play core ranger as Soulbeast was basically a ranger 2.0 plus we had boonbeast which made things even more absurd, I am a die hard ranger lover but hey...boonbeast was really busted..and still work to a smaller degree in the end. I think the trade off was well thought and necessary to make core ranger relevant again without unnecessarily buffing it..something which would have made soulbeast even more busted

@Fueki.4753 said:

some
Elite Specializations.

fixed that for you

Every

I think tempest's increased attunement cd after overload doesn't really qualify as a trade off in anets sense.

A tempest can play exactly like a core elementalist if they desire to, since they are never forced to overload. So they have full control over if their trade off applies or doesn't.Soulbeast kinda was the same, the trade off was that they lose their pet while they are merged, but this was still not really a trade off, since they also could play like a core ranger by not merging, giving them control over this trade off.

Tempest in a sense is just a flat out upgrade to core ele, just like soulbeast was an upgrade to core ranger. They should revisit and add something here. Either by giving core ele something tempest doesn't have access to (like they did with engineer and revenant) or changing something on tempest for a trade off.

@bigo.9037 said:

@Gotejjeken.1267 said:The 'tradeoff' was because people complained rangers were using bird as another kiting option--ridiculous, but that's what did it. It's bad enough you have to take BM to even have a remotely usable pet, and BM is only really critical on SB because of the buffs it gives while merged.

you’re wrong about the reason. it was because the sustain you had from smokescale + siamoth was absolutely insane and couple that with perma boons from plasma + moa stance made NM a viable traitline, which meant perma stab, perma 25 might, nearly perma quickness, perma prot, 40-50% alacrity uptime, list goes on, and that’s on top of having stealth from snokescale.

that’s why when trade off patch hit along with dmg nerfs, moa stance got gutted. it was siamoth + smokescale that was the deadliest pet combo.

We can argue the reasons all day but everything got hit that patch.

If the reasons they nerfed SB is because of simaoth / smokescale then Druid would still be broken as can pet swap and has much greater sustain potential through celestial shadow + those pets. Even pre-patch I hardly ran into another ranger running Siamoth, as the plasma is a gamble and you have to pick it up, not something you can do easily in a fight above a 1v1. Boon Beast is also something people still routinely complain about on here, so if the tradeoff was to mitigate that, it didn't do a very good job.

Bird on the other hand was used (and in some cases still is) ALL the time. You could run a pet like Smokescale and run Bird, and not have to commit to the fight. Players, and Anet didn't like that. This is also why the patch mentions you have to choose your pet carefully before entering combat, because they didn't want both sustain ability and escape ability for SB.

@Gotejjeken.1267 said:

We can argue the reasons all day but everything got hit that patch.

If the reasons they nerfed SB is because of simaoth / smokescale then Druid would still be broken as can pet swap and has much greater sustain potential through celestial shadow + those pets. Even pre-patch I hardly ran into another ranger running Siamoth, as the plasma is a gamble and you have to pick it up, not something you can do easily in a fight above a 1v1. Boon Beast is also something people still routinely complain about on here, so if the tradeoff was to mitigate that, it didn't do a very good job.

Bird on the other hand was used (and in some cases still is) ALL the time. You could run a pet like Smokescale and run Bird, and not have to commit to the fight. Players, and Anet didn't like that. This is also why the patch mentions you have to choose your pet carefully before entering combat, because they didn't want both sustain ability and escape ability for SB.

You cannot entirely remove boonbeast from WvW unless you remove gear choices like : all concentration gear because you can create boonbots on basically anything in WvW even a necro...so people complaining about boonbeast still being "alive" in WvW doesn't sit well with me. I routinely meet boonbot holos tanking whole squads of people or Firebrand healing like champs in a sea of fire or heralds or healbot tempest...if people wanna whine about boonbeast in wvw...we should whine about boonbots in general because they're not less cancerous.

I am all for removing boonbeast entirely..as long as we remove every other boonbot in wvw....every single one of them

On the other hand Boonbeast is effectively dead in PvP on the contrary of boonbot holo or revenant, they nerfed axe dmg and removed agility sigil from PvP to make sure double axe bunker can't exist there at high level.

They nerfed dolyak stance by 100% doubling CD and moa stance boon uptime was reduced from 66% down to 20% in all competitive modes

The Soulbeast tradeoff was one that, while it definitely made the spec feel less fun to play and hit build diversity for off-meta builds, I do believe was the right choice (as far as its impact in PvP/WvW). The spec was such a blast to play and so insanely fluid, but being to run a smokescale in addition to something like birb/siamoth/etc made it too much of an upgrade from core, and almost too versatile in a lot of respects. I do miss playing with pet swap on it quite a lot, but Soulbeast still does have the advantage of being able to revive the pet via merging, which Is something that cannot be said for core and Druid. Would be pretty cool if they could disable it in PvE though.

• 4 weeks later...