New Canach VA? - [Merged]

zealex.9410

Sometimes he sounded just like himself and other times he almost sounded like Logan to me. I really, really hope they didn’t recast him, he was such an amazing character! Well his character will be the same I suppose, but the delivery of lines won’t

He sounds remarkably like Matthew Mercer and its a niche problem to have but Matt sounds overly lile his npcs from critical role (also also lacls the snarkiness Dmaggio brought to the character). If we cant recast Dmaggio back could we at least get some insight on why he was discontiniued?

• ArenaNet Staff

You’re hearing right: Matthew Mercer is the new voice of Canach! We loved working with John DiMaggio, whose (b)iconic performance as Canach was urbane and hilarious, but scheduling conflicts meant he wasn’t able to continue. We’re grateful to John for helping to create an indelible fan favorite, and if anyone can take the baton from him it’s Matthew.

Canach was my favourite character.But this new Canach easily gravitates to the bottom.

And we lost Braham as well.With Almorra being killed off earlier in Season 5 and Rytlock deteriorating over the whole Saga, all my favourite NPCs are gone.

But maybe Rytlock will recover in EoD.

• Like 1

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:You’re hearing right: Matthew Mercer is the new voice of Canach! We loved working with John DiMaggio, whose (b)iconic performance as Canach was urbane and hilarious, but scheduling conflicts meant he wasn’t able to continue. We’re grateful to John for helping to create an indelible fan favorite, and if anyone can take the baton from him it’s Matthew.

I wasn't impressed, in fact I was outright disappointed. Kinda like how most of IBS has disappointed me.

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:Did Rox change too or am I just misremembering her voice?

This season nearly all VAs changed including some of the player characters (Human male and Charr female, I think).

Some of these changes started last season with Rox, Almorra, etc.

I think they're trying to switch to mostly in-house VAs (with a few exceptions), which will be cheaper and better in the long-run. Big name VAs have severe scheduling restrictions and higher priorities to meet, which is why Zojja disappeared.

Now if only they'd recast her..

I'm honestly surprised players are complaining so much when last year we had no voice acting at all.

We'll see how it turns out with Canach's next few appearances. DiMaggio MADE Canach work with pitch perfect, snarky delivery.

Rox's change was really grating (the raspy tone that makes me want to clear my own throat). Canach's change will at worst mean we won't be greeted with that Sylvari spice from now on.

@Memoranda.9386 said:I am quite sad, as Canach is my favourite character to interact with. Such a shame the character has been recast.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:You’re hearing right: Matthew Mercer is the new voice of Canach! We loved working with John DiMaggio, whose (b)iconic performance as Canach was urbane and hilarious, but scheduling conflicts meant he wasn’t able to continue. We’re grateful to John for helping to create an indelible fan favorite, and if anyone can take the baton from him it’s Matthew.

I wasn't impressed, in fact I was outright disappointed. Kinda like how most of IBS has disappointed me.

So you would rather have the character to disappear from the story, like Zojja? I will take any recast any day if it means the character will continue appearing in the story. It is a shame that the original VA is not available anymore, but that's not Anet's fault.

I didn't even realize it was a different VA at first. It wasn't until I was about half-way through the mission I noticed he sounded a little different. A character never really feels the same when they get recast, but I like Matt and I think he did a pretty good job.

@Sime.3681 said:

@Memoranda.9386 said:I am quite sad, as Canach is my favourite character to interact with. Such a shame the character has been recast.

So you would rather have the character to disappear from the story, like Zojja? I will take any recast any day if it means the character will continue appearing in the story. It is a shame that the original VA is not available anymore, but that's not Anet's fault.

Oh, I'm sorry. Could you point me to the text where I said that?