Call Back to Old Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

While I am pretty disappointed in Champions, as I've been with most of IBS, there was one little thing in this chapter that I did like.
Very minor spoilers ahead.

After completing the final DRM in Fireheart Rise Efram Greetsglory says this about the old Flame Legion: "You can't undo generations of hate in a day. To many, Flame is still the Gold Legion: unreliable, undependable."

Gold Legion, a term that dates all the way back to the The Ecology of the Charr and the Movement of the World but never made it into the game prior to this, at least as far as I've been made aware. The Ecology says this about the term Gold Legion: "Out of mockery, the other legions began to call them the Gold Legion, likening their softness to that ornamental metal. Gold, was also used in Shaman rituals to the Titans, so it hearkened back to their failure and humiliating worship of false gods."
It was a nice call back in my opinion, and shows that just maybe someone at Arenanet might still be paying attention to past lore. Now if only this theoretical individual can do something about the whole tossing of the "Killing dragons without replacements will destroy the world" stuff that was the purpose of an entire expack but is now very absent in IBS.....

• Like 3

Yeah, I noticed that too and I loved it! I know everyone wants to whine about the issues they see (and I’m not saying there aren’t issues, champions has been some of the weaker story in GW2 sadly, though for good reason irl), but I wish we could just take a moment to appreciate the good and wonderful little details like this.

• Like 2

I also noticed that but didn't put much thought into it.

Now if only this theoretical individual can do something about the whole tossing of the "Killing dragons without replacements will destroy the world" stuff that was the purpose of an entire expack but is now very absent in IBS.....Arenanet might go with Aurene replacing all of them.That way, we actually have an replacement and can happily kill off the dragons.Given how the plot of Chapter 3 feels like they just took a look at the forums instead of writing a decent story, Aurene replacing them all is not that wild of an idea.

@"The Greyhawk.9107" said:never made it into the game prior to this, at least as far as I've been made aware.

AFAIK, there is one - yes one - dialogue in Black Citadel that calls them Gold Legion, he's located in the Bane.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Huraugh_Fleshscather

According to a quick wiki search, there's also this tablet with translatable text calling them Gold Legion: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Priory_Archives

So this makes a third reference to that in-game. Which is neat.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • ArenaNet Staff

We try to do this when we're able and when it's a natural fit in the conversation at hand. A lot of these kinds of details are truly lore in the literal sense--they're historical and add flavor to the topic being discussed but they don't change or add anything to the current story. They just color the discussion and remind us of where we've been. In this case, though, it really comes from the character and lets you know how he feels and why, and I think it works. Thank you for pointing it out. I was wondering if any players would notice when the script went through group review. (I didn't write it, BTW, another teammate did.)

GW as a whole has experimented back and forth between the heavy lore and literary style of storytelling in GW1 (mostly non-voiced, full of lore that doesn't necessarily drive the story but at least provides background context) and the more modern voiced and filmic style of storytelling in GW2 (talking specifically about the script structure and not necessarily the cinematics themselves). Our game has two story audiences and sometimes it's difficult to balance the content to satisfy both types of players. But I do think the sweet spot is somewhere in between. Where we can call back to the lore as a reminder (or potentially move it forward in time) but also keep the golden path focused.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair. Faren wasn't Mister E all the time... he was just a tool for him to use.

However, maybe he is now, taken over his the mantle. From bumbling fool, to Master of Mysteriousness. Like Batman, Faren will arise from the shadows and bring us enlightment...