Is (Friendly Fire) achievement even possible in Fire Heart Rise DRM?

Trevor Boyer.6524

Friendly Fire says: "Keep all flame legion alive during the defense of the flame citadel" to be able to get a mastery point.

I've tried it a handful of times tonight with groups comprised of dudes who regularly run T4 fractals, who use proper builds including supports, and these NPCs just die too fast. If you were to try and stack more support than 1 or 2, then you have no DPS.

Am I missing some obvious method to complete this achievement? What are we supposed to do here?

And before you ask, YES we were running it with all CMs active.

So I just finished it on my second try with random puggies. The trick is all about the aggro, the hardest part is getting the start down pat.

So there are 3 spawn points, 2 north side and 1 south and if you don't kill the mobs they don't continually respawn. My team had 1 guy go south and just sustain and kite while the north team just camped near the spawn closest to that hill. North side just had to make sure to aggro the mobs before they move and we pulled them slightly further north where the second group mob pathing comes into us.

The hardest part is really just at the start, as the NPCs approach the area you need to send your south guy ahead of time to his position and the north team needs to clear the trash mobs that are pre-spawned on the hill where the NPCs will go. We aggroed those and pulled them north.

Once you get setup the NPCs don't even move, they just sit on the hill and you just need to kill slow and steady ensuring the enemies are aggroed.

Hope that helps.

@Setzer.2519 said:So I just finished it on my second try with random puggies. The trick is all about the aggro, the hardest part is getting the start down pat.

So there are 3 spawn points, 2 north side and 1 south and if you don't kill the mobs they don't continually respawn. My team had 1 guy go south and just sustain and kite while the north team just camped near the spawn closest to that hill. North side just had to make sure to aggro the mobs before they move and we pulled them slightly further north where the second group mob pathing comes into us.

The hardest part is really just at the start, as the NPCs approach the area you need to send your south guy ahead of time to his position and the north team needs to clear the trash mobs that are pre-spawned on the hill where the NPCs will go. We aggroed those and pulled them north.

Once you get setup the NPCs don't even move, they just sit on the hill and you just need to kill slow and steady ensuring the enemies are aggroed.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, helped us :D

I have no idea why you think that if you have 2 supports you don't have enough DPS. Ran HB , alac, 3x DPS. Alac complained that I (HB) did more DPS than two of the DPS players (one of which was way off the group on longbow) and we still had about 5 minutes left on timer (all CMs on). Timer is super lax.

Also the achievement is awarded before the part with the boss fight. You can run more support before that fight and swap out of combat. Both times that I had someone in my party with the achievement eligibility we got it, no special comps or anything , just a typical fractal setup.

edit: yes it's definitely a lax timer , tried it on condi scourge (lowest DPS benchmark) with zero quickness in group or alac, still had 5 minutes left (below 15 minutes for entire mission , 19 minute timer for CM).

I also got the achievement with a good team. We had two Bannerslaves and two Healbrands, with one regular DPS. We would split the BSes and HBs into two teams to cover north and south of the bridge well ahead of the legionaires and leave the DPS to alternate between each side (though we found this wasn't really necessary as the southern side had very few destroyers spawning, so we left him to cover north). We even almost got the achievement done with all CMs active, so it's definitely doable with that kind of comp.

idk what happened but i somehow managed to get this solo (with full cm, pretty sure its a requirement)

evidently from comments here and there, more mobs are spewed from north vs south, so i camp north; however, the allies managed to aggro all the way out to the south base of the hill so i kinda went meh another fail (i was mainly just doing a solo drm cm run, i wasnt intending to get achievement). surprisingly the npcs managed to hold on their own even though i let them dance with the destroyers for a while (ofc i had to run back to kill mobs but they survived nevertheless)

maybe the npcs got upscaled with a recent patch or i mightve been lucky, idk. i had dwarf as allied faction if that makes any difference (random, i didnt choose them)

however, i can tell you that on my first solo drm cm run, the npcs aggroed to the north side right where the enemies spawned, defense had barely started yet run was already doomed to fail :smiley:

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:idk what happened but i somehow managed to get this solo (with full cm, pretty sure its a requirement)

evidently from comments here and there, more mobs are spewed from north vs south, so i camp north; however, the allies managed to aggro all the way out to the south base of the hill so i kinda went meh another fail (i was mainly just doing a solo drm cm run, i wasnt intending to get achievement). surprisingly the npcs managed to hold on their own even though i let them dance with the destroyers for a while (ofc i had to run back to kill mobs but they survived nevertheless)

maybe the npcs got upscaled with a recent patch or i mightve been lucky, idk. i had dwarf as allied faction if that makes any difference (random, i didnt choose them)

however, i can tell you that on my first solo drm cm run, the npcs aggroed to the north side right where the enemies spawned, defense had barely started yet run was already doomed to fail :smiley:

Was this today or before the patch yesterday the bug that let you die with all npcs and respawn at waypoint with the achievement active again?

@Linken.6345 said:

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:idk what happened but i somehow managed to get this solo (with full cm, pretty sure its a requirement)

however, i can tell you that on my first solo drm cm run, the npcs aggroed to the north side
right where the enemies spawned
, defense had barely started yet run was already doomed to fail :smiley:

Was this today or before the patch yesterday the bug that let you die with all npcs and respawn at waypoint with the achievement active again?

yesterday and about an hour from now... (30 mins after daily reset?) which im sure was after the patch that fixed that

didnt teleport/wp until i was fighting boss cuz i got cc off bridge and insta died to fall dmg... the achievement is awarded before boss appears

it was 1-2 destroyers vs the entire zerg of npcs, maybe they had enough cc skills in between them to fend them off until i came over. theres also 2 essential npcs in that group too, maybe they tanked/got targeted

This is garbage.

I am a player with 30k APs, I've been running T4 CMs almost every night for the past 3 or 4 years or something like that. I have max possible mastery points, shitloads of KPs to ping if I need to, walking around with a platinum pvp badge, and no group will accept me in to do this achievement even at NA prime time, because I am not a Firebrand or Scourge. Even when I make an LFG listing, no one joins.

This same dumpster fire discrimination happens in fractals lately with 100 CM, where people only want you to stack certain classes.

Not sure if I should be upset with the community on this one or Arenanet's current pve balance.

Seriously, this achievement is a breeze if one person tanks the south mob lane and the other four rack up kills on north.The guy on south doesn't even have to kill anything just hold the couple of mobs on south at bay and stop them reaching the npcs.That phase ends when a certain number of mobs are killed, not when waves are cleared, so it actually goes quicker if four are all at north where most of the mobs spawn.The achievement is granted at the end of that phase (before the boss), so you don't even need to be capable of completing the DRM within the timer.

@Jong.5937 said:Seriously, this achievement is a breeze if one person tanks the south mob lane and the other four rack up kills on north.The guy on south doesn't even have to kill anything just hold the couple of mobs on south at bay and stop them reaching the npcs.That phase ends when a certain number of mobs are killed, not when waves are cleared, so it actually goes quicker if four are all at north where most of the mobs spawn.The achievement is granted at the end of that phase (before the boss), so you don't even need to be capable of completing the DRM within the timer.

Yup I figured it would be. For some reason I'm just having no luck with it.

Last night I had got into a couple different groups that just could not get the job done. I see why people were wanting only FBs and Scourges. It's not that normal T4/CM level players couldn't do it with less, it's that the majority of the community is like T1/T2 fractal capable in terms of skill and struggle.

I had tried to DPS Soulbeast for these groups but they still died, and then I had tried Druid tanking south for them and they died even worse when I wasn't DPSing with them.

Guess I'll try again sometime around reset tonight. Try to log in when veteran players are completing dailies.

Wow, seems like you've had some real bad luck. Hopefully, today you'll be more fortunate.

Not sure multiple FBs and scourges are even a good idea, as it's not a timed defence where you just have to hold out for, say 5, mins. You have to kill quite a large number of mobs. If you've got too much support I imagine you will struggle to progress and eventually some may get through your line to the NPCs.

Did it with a pug group fairly good dps but not outstanding. Our secret was to not care about spawning points but all group stay togheter around NPCs and kill every mob did reach our blob. Also our healer(an ele) was keeping the NPCs alive(at least he tried).

I did it yesterday with a pug, we killed the initial mobs then fought the rest away from the NPCs, most of us concentrated on the main spawns to the west and north, I kept an eye on the occasional spawns to the south, pulling them away from the NPCs. I don't think any even got hit.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:This is garbage.

I am a player with 30k APs, I've been running T4 CMs almost every night for the past 3 or 4 years or something like that. I have max possible mastery points, shitloads of KPs to ping if I need to, walking around with a platinum pvp badge, and no group will accept me in to do this achievement even at NA prime time, because I am not a Firebrand or Scourge. Even when I make an LFG listing, no one joins.

This same dumpster fire discrimination happens in fractals lately with 100 CM, where people only want you to stack certain classes.

Not sure if I should be upset with the community on this one or Arenanet's current pve balance.

Its so strange that people want to play they way they want and not how the rest of us might think.