Why did they nerf ranger stances?

Gudradain.3892

I realized the other day that they took the time to nerf Ranger stances in WvW which strikes me as particularly odd considering that stances would be ranger best tool for group support and ranger are nearly automatically kicked from any organized group because they don't bring any group support.

Bear Stance: Cooldown increased from 25 seconds in PvE to 30 seconds in WvWhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bear_Stance

Moa Stance: Boon duration bonus reduced from 66% in PvE to 20% in WvWhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Moa_Stance

Griffon Stance: Might duration reduced from 8 seconds in PvE to 6 seconds in WvWhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Griffon_Stance

Did I miss a time where Ranger was the meta group support and they had to nerf it? As far as I can remember, Ranger have never been welcomed in organized squad because of their lack of group support so I can't understand that nerf.

And, it's not like if the trait to share the stance was really strong since it only grants 50% of the stance duration to party members.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leader_of_the_Pack

The Griffon stance nerf was made simply because 6s became the baseline might duration across the board.

I assume the Moa stance nerf was made for similar reasons, reducing boon duration increase which was in line with the broader nerf of the feb patch of reducing most boon durations.

Bear stance I have no idea.

@TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

@"Kondor.2904" said:You probably missed the time period where the pre-nerf boonbeast was a walking one-man army.

It's still one-man army to some degree though. If you're not playing a class that have any kind of boon removal then gl.

Let's keep the assumption that other professions in WvW are balanced

At least boonbeast was nerfed to a certain extent...other specs didn't get touched at all in WvW since last year

Here a true one man army class....

Isn't this a carbon copy of past boobeast?

I just don't get this "agenda" vs rangers when there are professions which are leaps and bound above it

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@"Kondor.2904" said:You probably missed the time period where the pre-nerf boonbeast was a walking one-man army.

It's still one-man army to some degree though. If you're not playing a class that have any kind of boon removal then gl.

Let's keep the assumption that other professions in WvW are balanced

At least boonbeast was nerfed to a certain extent...other specs didn't get touched at all in WvW since last year

Here a true one man army class....

Isn't this a carbon copy of past boobeast?

I just don't get this "agenda" vs rangers when there are professions which are leaps and bound above it

Well, the only guy with "agenda" and assumptions in this thread is you tbh.

@Gudradain.3892 said:

@Gudradain.3892 said:Did I miss a time where Ranger was the meta group support and they had to nerf it?

Are you really trying to pretend that sb stances are strictly group support skills?

Not at all, I'm rather saying that soulbeast stance could be the best group support skills ranger has to offer. And considering that they are not welcomed in organized group due to their lack of group support, I don't understand why those were nerfed. If anything, they should be buffed toward group support.

You've started with "not at all" and then pivoted right back into "not understanding why they got nerfed". So do you understand this is not a predominantly group support skill and it wasn't exactly nerfed "because it was too strong as group support" or not?

• Confused 1

@"Arheundel.6451" said:-snip-

Because all of those things have various counters, are only viable solo/small scale, and have already been nerfed.

"Raid boss" Necro is a literal meme. All it is is a lot of health and it's useless outside of 1v1/X. Similar to old S/D Weaver it only kills what commits to it because it has terrible damage but high sustain. You can literally walk away from it and it has 0 impact in large scale fights. The difference between the two is that Necro is shut down a lot more easily because it's weak to CC, and there are a lot of CC's in this game. Weaver on the other hand could just evade for days and heal through anything you threw at it.With that said, I wouldn't be against a nerf to Unholy Martyr and Signet of Undeath because both of them are overly rewarding of passive gameplay. So by all means nerf it, but it's already a bad build.

Grenades are pretty busted in WvW, but it's largely due to the synergy between Barrier and multi-hits.Some suggested changes: Impact Armor should only grant Barrier from melee attacks, increase Bulwark Gyro cooldown to 30seconds, and split Explosive Entrance so that it deals reduced damage while used with Scrapper or Holosmith.This way Grenades/Grenade Barrage doesn't grant Barrier and Bulwark Gyro has more downtime, and you don't get a free 3 - 4k+ hit after every time you dodge from Explosive Entrance which pretty significantly buffs Grenade Barrage.

Holosmith is garbage tier now, the only thing giving it any relevance is Explosives because of Explosive Entrance and Flashbang. Laser's Edge is also to blame, but at least it takes some resource management to maintain the damage increase. Still, reducing the damage increase to 10% would be fine.Otherwise, Holo does pretty terrible damage. If you're not using Explosives it literally hits like a sack of potatoes.

Of the videos you linked, all of them have been nerfed, and only one (Grenade Scrapper) is still OP but will probably get some nerfs in the future.

Specifically referring to Boonbeast here, it was (and to some degree still is) an issue because it countered its counter, Necro, and was at least decent in large scale fights. Solo and small scale it was just busted because nothing could contest a good one. Removing/Corrupting Boons is the only real way to kill them but with the mobility, Cleanse, and damage they have it's more of a soft counter.Although it has received multiple nerfs, some undeserving, others entirely so, it is still a strong roaming build. And somehow Dolyak Stance is still untouched, so there's also that.

@Shroud.2307 said:

Because all of those things have various counters, are only viable solo/small scale, and have already been nerfed.

"Raid boss" Necro is a literal meme. All it is is a lot of health and it's useless outside of 1v1/X. Similar to old S/D Weaver it only kills what commits to it because it has terrible damage but high sustain. You can literally walk away from it and it has 0 impact in large scale fights. The difference between the two is that Necro is shut down a lot more easily because it's weak to CC, and there are
a lot
of CC's in this game. Weaver on the other hand could just evade for days and heal through anything you threw at it.With that said, I wouldn't be against a nerf to Unholy Martyr and Signet of Undeath because both of them are overly rewarding of passive gameplay. So by all means nerf it, but it's already a bad build.

Grenades are pretty busted in WvW, but it's largely due to the synergy between Barrier and multi-hits.Some suggested changes: Impact Armor should only grant Barrier from
melee attacks,
increase Bulwark Gyro cooldown to 30seconds, and split Explosive Entrance so that it deals reduced damage while used with Scrapper or Holosmith.This way Grenades/Grenade Barrage doesn't grant Barrier and Bulwark Gyro has more downtime, and you don't get a free 3 - 4k+ hit after every time you dodge from Explosive Entrance which pretty significantly buffs Grenade Barrage.

Holosmith is garbage tier now, the only thing giving it any relevance is Explosives because of Explosive Entrance and Flashbang. Laser's Edge is also to blame, but at least it takes some resource management to maintain the damage increase. Still, reducing the damage increase to 10% would be fine.Otherwise, Holo does pretty terrible damage. If you're not using Explosives it literally hits like a sack of potatoes.

Of the videos you linked, all of them have been nerfed, and only one
(Grenade Scrapper)
is still OP but will probably get some nerfs in the future.

Specifically referring to Boonbeast here, it was
(and to some degree still is)
an issue because it countered its counter, Necro, and was at least decent in large scale fights. Solo and small scale it was just busted because nothing could contest a good one. Removing/Corrupting Boons is the only real way to kill them but with the mobility, Cleanse, and damage they have it's more of a soft counter.Although it has received multiple nerfs, some undeserving, others entirely so, it is still a strong roaming build. And somehow Dolyak Stance is still untouched, so there's also that.

The videos show holos "tanking" several players = video proof of my words...you claim otherwise

Come out with video of thse boonbeast doing the same thing as you claim...easy to talk with 0 proof , on the contrary of you I play : necromancer -elementalist - warrior -guardian and ranger and nothing of what you state is true...I can literally tank several people with core condi necro, the idea that core necro does no dmg lol.....

"Raid boss" Necro is a literal meme

Maybe it's you the problem...if you die to a ranger pewpew from a tower..you are the problem and if instead you die to somebody roaming and who spent years on ranger..again you are the problem

Please tell me more about "poor nerfed holosmith"....

In all of this..you are the problem not the class, there are holosmith builds out there with alchemy line and elixirs with more boon uptime than 2 "legendary" boonbeast combined, if you still insist with your argument..you go in WvW and try to survive outnumbered on the "dodge for day" weaver or "immortal" boonbeast

Holosmith ...garbage tier...the amout of horse manure you can read on the forum is staggering, it's like being in the twilight zone once you open this forum...."Holosmith garbage tier in wvw"...my eyes are bleeding...I am dreaming

Please..show me how this following build is garbage tier:https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Holosmith_-_Explosive_Roamer

@Shroud.2307 said:

"Raid boss" Necro is a literal meme. All it is is a lot of health and it's useless outside of 1v1/X. Similar to old S/D Weaver it only kills what commits to it because it has terrible damage but high sustain. You can literally walk away from it and it has 0 impact in large scale fights. The difference between the two is that Necro is shut down a lot more easily because it's weak to CC, and there are
a lot
of CC's in this game. Weaver on the other hand could just evade for days and heal through anything you threw at it.With that said, I wouldn't be against a nerf to Unholy Martyr and Signet of Undeath because both of them are overly rewarding of passive gameplay. So by all means nerf it, but it's already a bad build.

Grenades are pretty busted in WvW, but it's largely due to the synergy between Barrier and multi-hits.Some suggested changes: Impact Armor should only grant Barrier from
melee attacks,
increase Bulwark Gyro cooldown to 30seconds, and split Explosive Entrance so that it deals reduced damage while used with Scrapper or Holosmith.This way Grenades/Grenade Barrage doesn't grant Barrier and Bulwark Gyro has more downtime, and you don't get a free 3 - 4k+ hit after every time you dodge from Explosive Entrance which pretty significantly buffs Grenade Barrage.

(Grenade Scrapper)

an issue because it countered its counter, Necro, and was at least decent in large scale fights. Solo and small scale it was just busted because nothing could contest a good one. Removing/Corrupting Boons is the only real way to kill them but with the mobility, Cleanse, and damage they have it's more of a soft counter.Although it has received multiple nerfs, some undeserving, others entirely so, it is still a strong roaming build. And somehow Dolyak Stance is still untouched, so there's also that.

i agree on nerf to dolyak stance. though i feel like boon beast today doesn’t have the dmg to actually be a major threat to anybody. NM + WS means your pets are useless and you’ll have an extremely low amount of dmg, even if you can stack 25might. what you mentioned about weaver and necro apply to boonbeast today also. you can just walk away. they are also mostly selfish builds meaning you can simply focus attention on other enemies and kill them first and there’s not a whole lot a boonbeast can do about it.

@bigo.9037 said:

a lot

melee attacks,

(Grenade Scrapper)

i agree on nerf to dolyak stance. though i feel like boon beast today doesn’t have the dmg to actually be a major threat to anybody. NM + WS means your pets are useless and you’ll have an extremely low amount of dmg, even if you can stack 25might. what you mentioned about weaver and necro apply to boonbeast today also. you can just walk away. they are also mostly selfish builds meaning you can simply focus attention on other enemies and kill them first and there’s not a whole lot a boonbeast can do about it.

Nerfing dolyak stance wouldn't change anything , ranger is neither the top roaming class or a complete wvw class, nerfing dolyak stance at this point would be like nerfing a tool from 5 to 4.5 , it's not like a new player starts today, slot a soulbeast with dolyak stance and then proceed to tank 5-6 people in wvw with it.

Ranger right now is a strong class vs mediocre players and it's the reason Top roaming guild just spam scrappers/holos/firebrand/.tempest/reapers and condi revs, on ranger you die quite easily once you face 2 or more above average players and this because Ranger doesn't have anymore a true bruiser build as NM boonbeast was, the class at best can play hit and run with good sustain to sport..nothing more than that

@bigo.9037 said:i agree on nerf to dolyak stance. though i feel like boon beast today doesn’t have the dmg to actually be a major threat to anybody. NM + WS means your pets are useless and you’ll have an extremely low amount of dmg, even if you can stack 25might. what you mentioned about weaver and necro apply to boonbeast today also. you can just walk away. they are also mostly selfish builds meaning you can simply focus attention on other enemies and kill them first and there’s not a whole lot a boonbeast can do about it.

Very true, though it also depends how offensive you build. If you're mostly Marauder with a little bit of Diviner/Commander and some Boon Duration runes, then you still do pretty solid damage while also having moderate uptime on Prot and other Boons. In general though yes, the damage is a lot worse than it used to be and Boonbeast is a lot more manageable. Without being able to swap pets it's also much less mobile, but if it's using any pets with Leaps on merge it still has more mobility than S/D Weaver.

@Arheundel.6451 said:Nerfing dolyak stance wouldn't change anything , ranger is neither the top roaming class or a complete wvw class, nerfing dolyak stance at this point would be like nerfing a tool from 5 to 4.5 , it's not like a new player starts today, slot a soulbeast with dolyak stance and then proceed to tank 5-6 people in wvw with it.

Ranger right now is a strong class vs mediocre players and it's the reason Top roaming guild just spam scrappers/holos/firebrand/.tempest/reapers and condi revs, on ranger you die quite easily once you face 2 or more above average players and this because Ranger doesn't have anymore a true bruiser build as NM boonbeast was, the class at best can play hit and run with good sustain to sport..nothing more than that

This is the problem a lot of players create. They want to keep OP thing but also want buffs. You need to make some compromises.

Dolyak Stance is an absurdly stacked skill that could qualify as an elite. It doesn't need to be gutted, it just need some small changes to give it more counterplay. Either it should have the -33% damage reduction (also Condi damage reduction) removed/reduced, or it should have the soft CC immunity removed. Then Soulbeast could get some small buffs in other areas, maybe to something like Unstoppable Union just for example.

@Shroud.2307 said:

@bigo.9037 said:i agree on nerf to dolyak stance. though i feel like boon beast today doesn’t have the dmg to actually be a major threat to anybody. NM + WS means your pets are useless and you’ll have an extremely low amount of dmg, even if you can stack 25might. what you mentioned about weaver and necro apply to boonbeast today also. you can just walk away. they are also mostly selfish builds meaning you can simply focus attention on other enemies and kill them first and there’s not a whole lot a boonbeast can do about it.

Very true, though it also depends how offensive you build. If you're mostly Marauder with a little bit of Diviner/Commander and some Boon Duration runes, then you still do pretty solid damage while also having moderate uptime on Prot and other Boons. In general though yes, the damage is a lot worse than it used to be and Boonbeast is a lot more manageable. Without being able to swap pets it's also much less mobile, but if it's using any pets with Leaps on merge it still has more mobility than S/D Weaver.

@"Arheundel.6451" said:Nerfing dolyak stance wouldn't change anything , ranger is neither the top roaming class or a complete wvw class, nerfing dolyak stance at this point would be like nerfing a tool from 5 to 4.5 , it's not like a new player starts today, slot a soulbeast with dolyak stance and then proceed to tank 5-6 people in wvw with it.

This is the problem a lot of players create. They want to keep OP thing but also want buffs. You need to make some compromises.

Dolyak Stance is an absurdly stacked skill that could qualify as an elite. It doesn't need to be gutted, it just need some small changes to give it more counterplay. Either it should have the -33% damage reduction
(also Condi damage reduction)
removed/reduced, or it should have the soft CC immunity removed. Then Soulbeast could get some small buffs in other areas, maybe to something like Unstoppable Union just for example.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/56636/balance-discussion-moa-stance-needs-some-changes/p1I don't think there are many people less biased than me.I consider builds ans skill in the context of equally skilled players who spent years in WvW equally and who own pretty much every single stat in the game, I consider people who have been roaming for years again, fought hundreds of duels and so on....in that context current "boonbeast" is mediocre at best : no aoe- no pet swap, minimal support...it get outshined by other professions in same category.

To top it all, most professions enjoy a massive mobility creep atm and as such the previous mobility advantage of rangers in wvw is mostly void , I see professions with close to perma superspeed..you can swoop all you want with bird/GS...they'll catch you, as it stands the profession only shine in scenarios of mediocrity against randoms and possibly in uninterrupted 1vs1..other than that I don't see any use for current ranger

@Arheundel.6451 said:I don't think there are many people less biased than me.

Everything I've seen you say so far contradicts that statement. I tried to start a discussion with you and you responded by giving me the same victim garbage that every profession main is always regurgitating.

You think it's mediocre because the vast majority of people who play it are mediocre. In the hands of someone who knows how to use it, it is far from.

@"Arheundel.6451" said:

So what? They need nerfs as well, what's your point? You don't really want to make an argument "but others are more broken", right? What you've posted isn't a even a drop in the ocean of problems, Boonbeast is just 1 of many that need nerfs lmao.Why does ranger can have near perma boons in the first place? Sustain for free cause why not? The child of powercreep like pretty much every class in the game?I don't really think A-net will be able to balance this game properly ever with how "elite specializations" are based on only 1 trait line.

@Shroud.2307 said:

Grenades are pretty busted in WvW, but it's largely due to the synergy between Barrier and multi-hits.Some suggested changes: Impact Armor should only grant Barrier from melee attacks, increase Bulwark Gyro cooldown to 30seconds, and split Explosive Entrance so that it deals reduced damage while used with Scrapper or Holosmith.This way Grenades/Grenade Barrage doesn't grant Barrier and Bulwark Gyro has more downtime, and you don't get a free 3 - 4k+ hit after every time you dodge from Explosive Entrance which pretty significantly buffs Grenade Barrage.

This suggestion that barrier application just works with melee is terrible.Just compare how many ranged weapons and how many melee weapons scrapper has access to:

Ranged Weapons/Kits

• rifle
  • grenades
  • pistols (granted, we should exclude these, since scrapper already doesn't have synergy with condition playstyles)
  • elixir gun
  • flamethrower
  • mortar

Melee Weapons/Kits

• hammer
  • bombs (and even these are arguable if they count as melee, since you can kite with them and the delayed damage can mean that you already have built up some distance to the enemy until the damage occurs)
  • tool kit (LOL)

So basically, your suggestion is to hard lock scrappers into hammer and bomb kit and forbid them to have any synergy with their other weapons and kits. Yeah, no, not gonna happen.

@TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:

So what? They need nerfs as well, what's your point? You don't really want to make an argument "but others are more broken", right? What you've posted isn't a even a drop in the ocean of problems, Boonbeast is just 1 of many that need nerfs lmao.Why does ranger can have near perma boons in the first place? Sustain for free cause why not? The child of powercreep like pretty much every class in the game?I don't really think A-net will be able to balance this game properly ever with how "elite specializations" are based on only 1 trait line.

I am making a point of professions and specs being far far more broken than already hard nerfed boonbeast indeed. You can go ahead and nerf dolyak stance to your heart content...It would make zero difference at the top, I face/get ganked/chased by : baroness of the arena, gods of pvp/WvW ect ect , they all running around with permaboon holos+firebrands+condi heralds+reaper ...no magical boonbeast in sight and you know why? Because that works against pve zerglings only .

Respect to the past, they nerfed the sustain, removed pet swap, reduced boon duration, reduced axe main hand damage and nerfed mobility...so yeah what is left only works against the low common denominator.

And finally...mmo players always ask for nerfs on anything that kills them...It could be anything at any level, no surprise there

@Shroud.2307 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:I don't think there are many people less biased than me.

Everything I've seen you say so far contradicts that statement. I tried to start a discussion with you and you responded by giving me the same victim garbage that every profession main is always regurgitating.

You think it's mediocre because the vast majority of people who play it are mediocre. In the hands of someone who knows how to use it, it is far from.

Somebody who states that holosmith is garbage tier in WvW especially....he doesn't really want to have a discussion.

I gave facts...where you just keep going moved by your bias and baseless assumptions.

If any of what you say would be true...none of the videos I have linked should exist and the top 100 players who roam around in tight packs would do so on a boonbeast instead than holosmith...unless you want to claim that players with a god/baroness title and from MRGA - KILL -SA and similar guilds are mediocre players unable to abuse the presumed busted status of rangers.

If you want to keep going with your assumptions...we need some video proof of your claims...Good luck

It's not just a matter of staying alive that makes for a great roaming spec, it's why current boonbeast at best can meme 1vs1 and die easy the second they get ganked

@"Gudradain.3892" said:Did I miss a time where Ranger was the meta group support and they had to nerf it? As far as I can remember, Ranger have never been welcomed in organized squad because of their lack of group support so I can't understand that nerf.

The answer to your question is that ANet reduced damage, sustain and boon duration for all professions in competitive mode in the patch that nerfed those stances. It was merely in line with what they did.

NB.: While ranger's support isn't optimal in organized squad, it's not in any way "lacking" (it's just not what's perceived as needed support in WvW atm). It's not difficult for a ranger (druid) to keep up prot, regen, vigor, fury and swiftness on 10 allies, all while healing and farting might stacks right and left. Soulbeast and it's stances is slightly less effective on boons and heal but benefit from different advantages (like group evade, groupe stunbreak, group stability... etc.).

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Gudradain.3892" said:Did I miss a time where Ranger was the meta group support and they had to nerf it? As far as I can remember, Ranger have never been welcomed in organized squad because of their lack of group support so I can't understand that nerf.

The answer to your question is that ANet reduced damage, sustain and boon duration for
some
professions in competitive mode in the patch that nerfed those stances. It was merely in line with what they did.

NB.: While ranger's support isn't optimal in organized squad, it's not in any way "lacking" (it's just not what's perceived as needed support in WvW atm). It's not difficult for a ranger (druid) to keep up prot, regen, vigor, fury and swiftness on 10 allies, all while healing and farting might stacks right and left. Soulbeast and it's stances is slightly less effective on boons and heal but benefit from different advantages (like group evade, groupe stunbreak, group stability... etc.).

Fixed it for you : https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/98220/game-update-notes-february-25-2020#latest , this is not all professions, all I see is the obvious elementalist which doesn't get couple of patches without received nerfs , ranger which just get dumbed down whenever they become optimal for competitive gameplay at the top

Revenants, guardians and holosmiths have not been touched at all in WvW for the last 1.5 year , holosmith is still the 2019 version for at least 80% of it, condi heralds basically unnerfed and so on

@Arheundel.6451 said:

The answer to your question is that ANet reduced damage, sustain and boon duration for
some
professions in competitive mode in the patch that nerfed those stances. It was merely in line with what they did.

Fixed it for you :
, this is not all professions, all I see is the obvious elementalist which doesn't get couple of patches without received nerfs , ranger which just get dumbed down whenever they become optimal for competitive gameplay at the top

Revenants, guardians and holosmiths
have not been touched at all in WvW for the last 1.5 year
, holosmith is still the 2019 version for at least 80% of it, condi heralds basically unnerfed and so on

That's simply not true. All classes got nerfed with that patch. No exceptions. And neither ranger nor ele are in a nearly as bad state as pretty much all your posts might suggest. "No bias", sure ...

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:The answer to your question is that ANet reduced damage, sustain and boon duration for
some

Fixed it for you :
, this is not all professions, all I see is the obvious elementalist which doesn't get couple of patches without received nerfs , ranger which just get dumbed down whenever they become optimal for competitive gameplay at the top

, holosmith is still the 2019 version for at least 80% of it, condi heralds basically unnerfed and so on

Does your "claims" invalidate in any way the fact that the stance nerfs came along a global reduction of damage, sustain and boon duration in competitive modes for all professions?

@UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

some

Fixed it for you :

That's simply not true. All classes got nerfed with that patch. No exceptions. And neither ranger nor ele are in a nearly as bad state as pretty much all your posts might suggest. "No bias", sure ...

The meta videos, websites say otherwise...AT final matches say otherwise...WvW commanding say otherwise, everything points toward my truth which is still backed up by hard facts...meanwhile forum goers say : "nah you're biased" ....

Please tell me more about how rangers and eles are fine atm compared to the rest....by fine I mean competitive at the high level..no pve zerging

All you need is to have a single bloody ele in a final..and few weeks later they nerf an utility .....meanwhile EU and NA teams go around winning tournaments with triple revenant

But hey..I am surely biased, you can see all rangers and eles here...I surely don't know what I am talking about

People should stop putting words into my mouth as I have never stated that ele is completely unplayable, an uphill battle yes..but you can still get some mileage out if if you log in for medium calibre gameplay