Braham's Vision of the Past - why not replayable now?

Ashantara.8731

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/124881/replaying-icebrood-saga-champions-chapters#latest

As for the second question it is because all four chapters are considered a single episode and you cannot replay instances in an episode until you complete it. It's a technical limitation.

Your options are to run the story again up to that point on your existing character, or a different one, or find someone with that instance.

I've seen that already, still doesn't answer my question.

As for the second question it is because all four chapters are considered a single episode and you cannot replay instances in an episode until you complete it. It's a technical limitation.

Doesn't make sense, since Forging Steel is also considered a story mission and can be replayed at any point via the Scrying Pool.

I've seen that already, still doesn't answer my question.

Doesn't make sense, since Forging Steel is also considered a story mission and can be replayed at any point via the Scyring Pool.

Yes but forging steel was not released in a cut up episode the whole episode came at the same time not in 4 parts as the current one, you have not completed this episode hence you can repeat it the last 25% comes in april.

An annoying issues for sure.Hopefully it will be the only time Gw2 has a chopped up episodic release like this.

I've enjoyed the Ice Brood Saga, not as much as past seasons but still enjoyed it.But if there are two things in video games that I really despise.. it's Mandatory subfees and Episodic releases.At least with living world you got a whole chapter at once but Champions has broken that trend and given us one big chapter in 4 parts.. this I don't care for at all.

@"Teratus.2859" said:An annoying issues for sure.Hopefully it will be the only time Gw2 has a chopped up episodic release like this.

I've enjoyed the Ice Brood Saga, not as much as past seasons but still enjoyed it.But if there are two things in video games that I really despise.. it's Mandatory subfees and Episodic releases.At least with living world you got a whole chapter at once but Champions has broken that trend and given us one big chapter in 4 parts.. this I don't care for at all.

They did this because of

1. Pandemic hit hard.
  2. Extend the game's life. While I know pandemic will have effect but I think the main reason is this one, they know once the icebrood saga ends we won't have something new until the EoD drop, they dragging this to kind of "force" us to play the game. Again though the DRM fails super hard, we technically just play icebrood saga to know the story.

In their thought if they release everything about final chapter last year the playerbase will decline as people might be burned out, and the playerbase will decline until EoD drop. They can't even bring big balance patch now as they also wait for EoD, maybe doing big balance patch including new elites?

@DKRathalos.9625 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:An annoying issues for sure.Hopefully it will be the only time Gw2 has a chopped up episodic release like this.

They did this because of
  1. Pandemic hit hard.
  2. Extend the game's life. While I know pandemic will have effect but I think the main reason is this one, they know once the icebrood saga ends we won't have something new until the EoD drop, they dragging this to kind of "force" us to play the game. Again though the DRM fails super hard, we technically just play icebrood saga to know the story.

In their thought if they release everything about final chapter last year the playerbase will decline as people might be burned out, and the playerbase will decline until EoD drop. They can't even bring big balance patch now as they also wait for EoD, maybe doing big balance patch including new elites?

I know, they are good and understandable reasons, i'm not knocking their reasoning at all.Just the concept I dislike and hope they can avoid in future if possible.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Also, Forging Steel is a Strike Mission.

Technically it isn't, as it can't be selected via the Asura portal's Strike Mission menu. You have to run to the Scrying Pool in order to activate it. And since it is mandatory for the story, it counts as a story mission in my book.

P.S. Yes, I am aware that the weekly Strikes reward chest has it added to its cycle. ;)

@Teratus.2859 said:

I know, they are good and understandable reasons, i'm not knocking their reasoning at all.Just the concept I dislike and hope they can avoid in future if possible.

Hmmmm depend... I mean EoD must be big since it is expansion so they must've direct all the resource there. I bet if there is another expansion after EoD they will drag the content again like this in between last EoD and new Expansion.

@DKRathalos.9625 said:

Hmmmm depend... I mean EoD must be big since it is expansion so they must've direct all the resource there. I bet if there is another expansion after EoD they will drag the content again like this in between last EoD and new Expansion.

Well the last 2 expansions haven't been as big as many wanted them to be.. but Anet is aware that many people do want that big content dump expansion experience so hopefully they aim to give that with End of Dragons but I'd say don't set expectations too high there, not until we know more at least.

I hope there will be more expansions after End of Dragons as well though it's far too early to know what will happen after the Elder Dragon Story ends.We know Anet want to keep the game going with new stories and I 100% support that and would love to see them continue making living world and expansions for many more years.But will the game be the same once the main campaign ends?.. that is a big question that has no answer right now.

I am all for multiple campaigns just like Gw1 had, perhaps not exactly the same way they were implemented like as separate but connected games but how the story progressed in them absolutely for that.Our Prophecies characters completing their destiny, killing the Lich and saving Tyria then being recruited to help deal with a strange plague in a foreign land and later again going to another foreign land to help deal with a crisis there.That would work so well for Gw2 due to it's story progressing world and how much you could add in between the various campaigns based on the state of the world at that time.New playable races being one of the best I can think of not just as a selling point for future content but as reassurance the game ain't going anywhere for a while.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:But will the game be the same once the main campaign ends?..

Hopefully it won't be the same!
Hopefully, they will come up with more appealing stories than the stupid Elder Dragons and balance of magic. I have been sick and tired of it since LWS3 and can't wait for it to be done with. Nine years...
dear God!
:s

Hehe each to their own.New doesn't mean better though, always good to keep that in mind :)

But I am also looking forward to seeing what comes after, there is so much of this world left to explore and not just this world either.There are possible scenarios in which Tyria could be destroyed completely and in order to escape that fate we flee into the mists to find a new world very similarly to how the Gods once brought Humans to Tyria from some unknown mysterious world.

There is so much potential in this franchise for all kinds of stories so yeah i'm definitely curious about what comes after the Dragon story ends, but i'm in no rush to get there :)The worst thing that can happen is that we waste 9 years of this game's story by having some rushed Game of Thrones Season 8 style garbage ending lol

@DKRathalos.9625 said:

i hope they learn this hurts game a lot..

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:

i hope they learn this hurts game a lot..

I hate to break it to you but the only thing anet's learn is "How to be better at delivering Empty Promises."Frequent balance patch? Empty Promise.Alliance and WvW restructure? Empty Promise.Expect that they will do a lot of empty promises in the future they just practicing now on how to deliver it better.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Also, Forging Steel is a Strike Mission.

Technically it isn't, as it can't be selected via the Asura portal's Strike Mission menu. You have to run to the Scrying Pool in order to activate it. And since it is mandatory for the story, it counts as a story mission in my book.

P.S. Yes, I am aware that the weekly Strikes reward chest has it added to its cycle. ;)

It doesn't matter how it is labeled in your book, what matters is how it's interpreted in-engine.Strike missions when introduced didn't even have that fancy "Asura portal strike mission menu", and you had to go to them through their maps for first couple episodes.

By engine Forging Steel is a strike mission. It is in strike weeklies, it awards prophet shards, and all the strike mission goodies.

Bonus points:Shiverpeak Pass is also required for the story, and it's quite literally first strike mission we have got. The whole premise when they were introduced was "story instance that is repeatable outside of the story boss encounter to bridge the gap between non-raid content and raid content"

Braham's story is good old vanilla story instance.

@"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:It doesn't matter how it is labeled in your book, what matters is how it's interpreted in-engine.

Yes, that is correct, of course. I get it: Forging Steel was part of a concluded episode, that's why it was replayable from the start, while the Braham vision is only part of a chapter and therefore won't be replayable until one has played through the entire episode. I'm still curious to see whether it will be included into the Scrying Pool menu as a Vision of the Past.

Strike missions when introduced didn't even have that fancy "Asura portal strike mission menu"

I know. Still, Forging Steel was not included in there (but should have been - running all the way to the Scrying Pool to activate it doesn't make much sense; they could add it to the portal in addition to the pool).

Bonus points:Shiverpeak Pass is also required for the story, [...]

I only recall the mission where we chase after Bangar and Ryland in said instance as part of the story. Ergo, not the same mission.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:It doesn't matter how it is labeled in your book, what matters is how it's interpreted in-engine.

Yes, that is correct, of course. I get it: Forging Steel was part of a concluded episode, that's why it was replayable from the start, while the Braham vision is only part of a chapter and therefore won't be replayable until one has played through the entire episode. I'm still curious to see whether it will be included into the Scrying Pool menu as a Vision of the Past.

No that's not why it was replayable at all. It literally used Strike mission mechanism for instancing. The same reason why DRMs are replayable without finishing the story episode, despite being very wonky story instances.And when the story episode conclude replaying that instance will require episode restart, like LS2/LS3/LS4 instances did.

If it was meant to be replayable by the scrying pool, it would already have been replayable. (Also notice that to enter brahams instance you don;t interact with the pool, you run up to tha floating star marking instance entry)

Strike missions when introduced didn't even have that fancy "Asura portal strike mission menu"

I know. Still, Forging Steel was not included in there (but should have been - running all the way to the Scrying Pool to activate it doesn't make much sense; they could add it to the portal in addition to the pool).

It makes the sense in a way that strike missions available through asura portal, are strike missions that were supposed to happen "storywise" in paralel to the events of icebrood saga, while forging steel is "past" event, so it goes to the same portal as all the other "past" events (LW1 instances that were made replayable in the scrying pool)One could imagine that they wanted to have more "in the past" strikes when making that decision.

Bonus points:Shiverpeak Pass is also required for the story, [...]

I only recall the mission
as part of the story. Ergo, not the same mission.

And in case you didn't notice, The whole point of strike mission was to replay that last instance of the story in simplified manner separatelly (you are only missing lighting up campfires anyway). But to be fair later strike missions went even further from that concept.