What changes does the game want to make to my computer?

But, my game has been on my computer for more than a year, and it was patched days ago

And its not in Program Files, its in another place that isn't protected

What's changed today that makes it want to do something?

And what does it want to do?

Program Files is simply the most common cause. GW2 should normally only request admin privileges on launch if it doesn't have permission to modify its files. There's no way of knowing specifically why it's wanting it without using a debugging tool.

You can try copying Gw2-64.exe/Gw2.exe (or download and rename Gw2Setup to Gw2) to a new folder on your desktop and running it from there to see if it's still a problem.

@Jura.2170 said:But, my game has been on my computer for more than a year, and it was patched days ago

And its not in Program Files, its in another place that isn't protected

There are additional things that are started alongside the Gw2-64.exe that require permission:

• CoherentUI_Host.exe
  • Gw2-64.tmp

It's likely that one of those needed you to refresh its permission to run.

My bet would be that microsoft has changed a bit in the protection of files used by GW2. Edge has been moved to be based on chromium. Several GW2 interfaces also uses chromium. This means it is likely edge and GW2 share the use of some files now.

It would be good if Technical support investigates this and confirms it cause more people should be prompted with this soon.