The Insane Cost of the Icebrood Saga Weapon Collections (Update - Still Insane)

Eloc Freidon.5692

If the collections would be somewhat rewarding at the very least.I cannot understand how a "collect 16 recipes" achievement gives quite a sum of lodestones and prismaticite ores as tier rewards while the ENTIRE azure and crimson collection (which costs altogether 160 prismatium ingots) give 2 draconic amalgamated gemstones TOTAL (1 for each collection).

At least throw in something nice thats worth going for but this right there is a ton of wasted time/gold to get those collections in specific especially since they are somewhat required for the 2nd meta achievement tier...

@"Vindicate.6951" said:If the collections would be somewhat rewarding at the very least.I cannot understand how a "collect 16 recipes" achievement gives quite a sum of lodestones and prismaticite ores as tier rewards while the ENTIRE azure and crimson collection (which costs altogether 160 prismatium ingots) give 2 draconic amalgamated gemstones TOTAL (1 for each collection).

At least throw in something nice thats worth going for but this right there is a ton of wasted time/gold to get those collections in specific especially since they are somewhat required for the 2nd meta achievement tier...

Preeeeeeeeeeetty sure the skins you collect on the way are intended to be part of the reward of the whole thing. If you don't like the skins in the first place then why even bother.

• Confused 1

@"Vindicate.6951" said:If the collections would be somewhat rewarding at the very least.I cannot understand how a "collect 16 recipes" achievement gives quite a sum of lodestones and prismaticite ores as tier rewards while the ENTIRE azure and crimson collection (which costs altogether 160 prismatium ingots) give 2 draconic amalgamated gemstones TOTAL (1 for each collection).

The previous weapon collections at least give a legendary gift item of some kind themed off the element. The draconic gemstones are pretty much pittance.

@Sobx.1758 said:

Preeeeeeeeeeetty sure the skins you collect on the way are intended to be part of the reward of the whole thing. If you don't like the skins in the first place then why even bother.

I am sort of a completionist and from what I see right now, the crimson and azure weapon sets are part of the 2nd meta achievement tier and altough it doesnt give any special reward since the emote is a tier 1 reward, I still want to have it as a completionist.The skins are terrible for what they cost, even 7y old weapons look better than these, but thats not why i want them done and it is pretty much outrageous to have such a costly collection tied to a meta achievement.

@Yasai.3549 said:I have ignored every single collection since Boreal collection.It's just not fun to grind for skins, period.

I think the only way that Anet can make grind worth while for the game is to simply introduce gear progression.Something past Ascended, and Legendaries will be upgraded to the next tier by default.

Without gear progression, people have no real need to grind anything, and the game's longevity is limited to Achievements and Skins.Both Acheivements and skins have been grinded and implemented poorly, and it's starting to upset alot of players.

And you think that Anet introducing gear progression past ascended into the game is going to upset less players?

@Llaerdan.5298 said:

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:Hi all, I just wanted to jump in and point you toward
regarding some upcoming changes.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback!

Are we, the people who already crafted the weapons, gonna get our primatium ingots back?!

Nope. It's always hit or miss on being the first ones to do something. Sometimes you come out ahead and other times you don't. Luckily I saw this quick enough that I was able to sell back the difference between what's left without taking too much of a gold loss.

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:Hi all, I just wanted to jump in and point you toward this post regarding some upcoming changes.

Can you ask the team to look at the Volcanic Stormcaller Collection as well? It's a 2000g+ collection that has a mastery point tied to it. It's almost 4x more expensive than the previous mastery point with the highest cost, which makes the Volcanic Stormcaller Collection Mastery Point the only one in the entire game tied to such a ridiculously expensive collection

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:Hi all, I just wanted to jump in and point you toward this post regarding some upcoming changes.

Updates in the March 23 build will reduce the cost of crafting current and upcoming collections:Prismatium Ingot requirements for crafting the weapons will be reduced from 10 to 5.The Prismatium Ingot recipe will require 5 Prismaticite instead of 10.An alternative Prismatium Ingot recipe which uses more Prismaticite and less Orichalcum will be available from the Olmakhan vendor in Eye of the North.Daily Dragon Responder will reward 10 Prismaticite instead of 6.

None of these coming changes encourages anyone to return to the content after the lethal burnout. It only saves players who newly approaches it and ignores those who had the initiative.

Will ingots be refunded to those who completed them?Will prismaticite be refunded to those who used them in ingots?An alternative recipe that uses less Prismaticite and more Orichalcum would be preferred. What is suggested only means more grinding in content people are tired of.

...we don't intend for future meta-achievements of this type to include requirements that are very expensive or that are intended to be long-term goals

This is at least good news. At least until the next time it happens again. We remember the Requiem armor and Dragonsblood weapon sets. The Dragon Slayer weapons only amplified those problems into a legendary tier disaster.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

...we don't intend for future meta-achievements of this type to include requirements that are very expensive or that are intended to be long-term goals

This is at least good news. At least until the next time it happens again. We remember the Requiem armor and Dragonsblood weapon sets. The Dragon Slayer weapons only amplified those problems into a legendary tier disaster.

Requiem armor was only an issue because the first set's collections required an item that could only be acquired through a level up reward or RNG. Otherwise players had to rely on the TP which exacerbated the issue when everyone was going for it at the same time. If you look at the prices for the set now, you'll see that it's very reasonable and they didn't make any changes.

The issue people had with dragonsblood weapons was not the cost but that they required serpentine jewels which were time-gated. The costs are on par of other craftable exotic weapons. The ascended versions of those weapons are on par of other craftable ascended weapons for your first set.

Neither of those sets required longterm play in order to acquire either.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:An alternative recipe that uses
less Prismaticite
and
more Orichalcum
would be preferred. What is suggested only means more grinding in content people are tired of.

You were complaining about the cost, they reduced the cost, and now you're complaining against part of the cost reductions? Why?

The orichalcum was NOT even close to the dominating factor of the costs. The Prismaticite itself does damage on a level you can't even properly calculate since it is bound materials that eat up too much time. Choose a better word than "complain".

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Requiem armor was only an issue because the first set's collections required an item that could only be acquired through a level up reward or RNG. Otherwise players had to rely on the TP which exacerbated the issue when everyone was going for it at the same time. If you look at the prices for the set now, you'll see that it's very reasonable and they didn't make any changes.

The issue people had with dragonsblood weapons was not the cost but that they required serpentine jewels which were time-gated. The costs are on par of other craftable exotic weapons. The ascended versions of those weapons are on par of other craftable ascended weapons for your first set.

You literally described the problems with prismaticite. These are equivalent and exactly the same with issues, save for adding a few zeroes to the end of the dragon slayer weapons.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:An alternative recipe that uses
less Prismaticite
and
more Orichalcum
would be preferred. What is suggested only means more grinding in content people are tired of.

You were complaining about the cost, they reduced the cost, and now you're complaining against part of the cost reductions? Why?

The orichalcum was NOT even close to the dominating factor of the costs. The Prismaticite itself does damage on a level you can't even properly calculate since it is bound materials that eat up too much time. Choose a better word than "complain".

At their peak cost, they contributed about a third of the sell price. They weren't dominating but they were still pretty significant. This still doesn't explain why you were complaining about the costs of the collections and then shifted over to complaining about the cost of one of the reductions that they made. Both reduce the cost of the collections including their cost. It certainly does hurt those who farmed DRMs to make profit as well as those who farmed orichalcum nodes.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

You literally described the problems with prismaticite. These are equivalent and exactly the same with issues, save for adding a few zeroes to the end of the dragon slayer weapons.

Actually, I didn't. They're not the "equivalent and exactly the same with issues". This thread you created was about the cost. Look at your OP:

2 Boreal sets. 1 Tengu. 2 Stormcaller sets. 5 Dragon Slayer sets including Fiery and Icy ascended weapons.

The total so far to craft all of these cost about 10,500 Gold coins to complete!

The Fiery and Icy weapons alone add 6,650 G by themselves. Compare that to the sets from Season 4, Stellar weapons at 864 G and the Heroic Dragonsblood weapons 576 G. Why do devs think this was okay?

It's clear that you're complaining about the gold costs.

The cost of each heroic dragon slayer weapon is on par of other ascended weapons. Expecting them to be cheaper because the set is tied to a collection is quite ridiculous. As to the stellar weapons mentioned in your OP, those were not tied to a any collection. The astral weapons were tied to a legendary trinket collection but you only needed like six of the skins unlocked.

EDIT:

What you're comparing the IBS Champions collections to is nowhere on the same level as the LS4 collections. For the legy, the issue was that the first set required those nullification sigils which you could get as either a level 60 level up reward, through RNG, or through the TP. That's nowhere near the same as Prismaticite. The issue with Prismaticite was that you could only get 14 per day from the first three (with two each subsequent run with both boons) which would require you to farm the DRMs for daily for over a year if you did just three each day. The way they were set up was as if they were to be a long term reward.

The issue with heroic dragonsblood weapons were the serpentine jewels that you could only get like 7 on average from the tombs every day (3 guaranteed) and the bosses had a low drop rate. You needed three of them per inscription/insignia. It would have required a little over two weeks of just opening the final chest each day to get enough for all of the weapons. That's obviously much different than required over a year.

I get it that you were upset/annoyed about the costs and/or requirements for those weapons. Many others were including myself. But the problems people were complaining about were nothing like the problems people had for the LS4 collections.

EDIT 2:

I also suggest that you take a look at the cost of crafting other weapon collections in the game. The auric weapon collection costs roughly 8G a piece to craft with a total cost of around 128G. That's on par with how much it would cost to craft other exotic weapons.

Someone else asked the same thing, but I feel it could use a little more attention. I recently bought and crafted all the weapons aside from the currently still locked ones. While I respect that the gold I spend will now be lost, I do hope we at least get some of our ingots refunded. As pointed out it's a hefty cost to get these things, and it feels a little unfair for them to be changed without any notice just a few days beforehand.

@Bovan.9481 said:[...] I do hope we at least get some of our ingots refunded. As pointed out it's a hefty cost to get these things, and it feels a little unfair for them to be changed without any notice just a few days beforehand.

Yes. We could have crafted both collections, the Azure one and the Crimson one, with the Ingots we had. A refund would indeed be appreciated.

I have already crafted one of the t2 sets, which costs 80 ingots. The t1 set I had to craft before costs 48 ingots. That's 128 ingots total I've used, and with the new recipes saving 5 crystals an ingot I used an extra 640 crystals. Would be nice to get something back. I love the lower cost going forward, but for those that have already completed some of the collections it's pretty inconsiderate.

It's a dangerous precedent for them to refund any non-accountbound currencies. Just keep that in mind. At best people will get crystals back , and it is highly likely the valuation on those will tank similar to Eitrite Ingot once the next tier of the Mastery is unlocked.At around 6 gold per Prismatium Ingot right now if you obtain the Prismaticite Crystal yourself, t1 dragon slayer weapons (with commander's stats) cost ~21 gold each regardless. T2 "azure" / "crimson" is around 38 gold if you obtain the Prismaticite Crystal by yourself. For that price the bare minimum for an ascended T3 dragon slayer weapon exceeds the cost of two normal ascended weapons.

These are going to turn out similar to the Stellar weapons in cost (~50 gold for stellar) just for T2. Astral weapons remain high at ~20 gold each to make with a relatively unused stat combination. Fiery Dragon Slayer weapons will still cost 5 Prismatium Ingot (so ~6 gold each at current rates if you obtain the crystals yourself) , Amalgamated Draconic Lodestone (~13 gold), and 10 Destroyer Lodestones (~7 gold) which is going to run another 50 gold or so. It would have been better off if there was a CC step for the upgrade to the T3 tier instead of just another material sink , people are still poor at CC.

The Heroic Dragonsblood set was different as they were ascended weapons and had a stat combo that is not easily obtained before that release (Diviner's). The T1 unlock costs roughly 5 gold to make currently. Illuminated Boreal costs roughly 30 gold to make including the Restored Boreal weapon and is ascended.

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:Hi all, I just wanted to jump in and point you toward
regarding some upcoming changes.

Can you ask the team to look at the Volcanic Stormcaller Collection as well? It's a 2000g+ collection that has a mastery point tied to it. It's almost 4x more expensive than the previous mastery point with the highest cost, which makes the Volcanic Stormcaller Collection Mastery Point the only one in the entire game tied to such a ridiculously expensive collection

I'd rather the mastery point be moved to t1 Dragon Slayer weapons collection.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:The t2 weapon only required 5 ignots, those are not getting reduced, what is getting reduced is the datamined t3 recipes which required 10. The only thing people lost are the account bound prismatite crystal because the recipe is being lowered, not the orichalcum or mithril or the ecto. Those other items are remaining unchanged. Those probably do not need to be refunded.

Exactly.

I don't understand the need for refunds on those since nobody even has t3 weapons yet.

@Infusion.7149 said:I don't understand the need for refunds on those since nobody even has t3 weapons yet.

I just wanted to drop a quick reply to this message. I fully accept the gold I've lost by buying ingots, same goes for the non-account bound materials. But because there was little to no communication regarding these currencies I eventually decided to give in and craft the 3 current sets of weapons because I was under the impression there wouldn't be any changes. I simply spend the gold so I could at least manage the 3rd set of collections in the months I've been farming them and the following months I assumed I would still have to work on them.

I'm happy getting some of the raw crystals back just so I'm prepared and able to make the next set, along with anything else that might get thrown at us that will require these in the future. I really don't see there being any harm in partially refunding a few crystals for the people who in this case, are unfortunate enough not to have gotten the full picture in time.

I'm not going to throw a fit or anything, the changes are fantastic. But it does sting a little after this long of a period of time.