I feel like it might be time we get a new class.

Thornwolf.9721

@FrownyClown.8402 said:Not likely. That would mean 3 elite specs along with it. Not to mention rev completed the trifecta of 3 heavy, 3 med, and 3 light armour.

Its more likely we would see a new race at this point. Hopefully we find out something about EoD next month

They could, if they have the money and time, add elite specs for it in parts. It'd keep players coming back to see what the new elite is and also probably up the sales for the expansion. Though, I did see people saying the same it's less likely we'd get a new race as well.

At this stage of name: yes. I agree. Given the years that I've played, I was never all that hyped for elite specs in the first place. All they really did were to create souped-up versions of all the professions. This is even more the case with the new trait system that was made back in 2015. You were honestly better off releasing new professions, period, which in my view would not have resulted in such powercreep and made balance a bit easier. Any potentially overpowered elite specs, I believe, would've been countered by other classes. Looking at gw1, this was essentially the situation -- create more professions and skills in an attempt to make balance easier.

@JTGuevara.9018 said:At this stage of name: yes. I agree. Given the years that I've played, I was never all that hyped for elite specs in the first place. All they really did were to create souped-up versions of all the professions. This is even more the case with the new trait system that was made back in 2015. You were honestly better off releasing new professions, period, which in my view would not have resulted in such powercreep and made balance a bit easier. Any potentially overpowered elite specs, I believe, would've been countered by other classes. Looking at gw1, this was essentially the situation -- create more professions and skills in an attempt to make balance easier.

The thing with elite specs is that it gives us the feeling of progress for our mains.

I main engineer since launch of this game, spent like 99% of my playing time on this character. And elite specs allow me to experiment with cool new builds on my main.A new class doesn't have the same effect, it just means that I can create yet another new character which I will not play mostly.

If there is going to be a new profession. It would have to be a musical class aka Bard.

Yeah, people might say that the thief and mesmer could fill this role. But it would limit the potential a whole lot.

Every spec of the bard class could come from different cultures. There could be a skald spec that takes from Norn culture and focuses on melee. A Charr band spec. A human marching band spec, A techno music spec, Elona music with African music spec, Canthan with the asian music spec.

This isn't something that a new traitline + 5 new skills can be added to get the feel of it.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:As the title suggests I feel like it might be a good Idea to make a new class, reason being is that E-specs are great and all but upon further deep thought about it they only homogenize classes to be closer in tool kits. In reality all they do is typically add a weapon we can't use on X class with similar animations to Y class which functions close to the same, then we get utilities we don't already have access too. All this does is offer us new ways to play X class but it also makes it closer to Y class, in reality to more E-specs we get the closer we get to all being the same which is not how a game should go about working with their classes. (Id still like to see them, even if we got a new class.)

The Perks of a new class:

1. New skill types that the class itself brings
  2. Potential new weapons, which can maybe be worked into E-specs which then can add to classes like warrior who are running out of weapons
  3. A new theme
  4. A new reason to play older content with the new shiny
  5. Potential to bring in something unique that is guild wars 2 (Revenant, messmer are the only guild wars exclusive classes. Could use more.)
  6. Creative freedom for the dev's that are not limited to, or linked to the classes we currently have
  7. Potential for some lore tid-bits
  8. Expansion of the repertoire for which guild was can claim to cater too.
  9. The chance to do something done poorly elsewhere, and make it better here.
  10. the chance to make something unique, which can attract new people and can be the poster child of the expansion. (Much like the guild wars expansions. Factions, nightfall.)

This then could even maybe wink and nod at things we have had, but never really had a chance to play with. They could for example bring in a Werebeast class, theme it around the norn but not link it explicitly to the norn. It could be a shaman and follow the teachings of the spirits of the wild, as we know anyone can follow their footsteps and thus anyone could in theory and given enough time become a shaman. (The elite specs could he havroun, and Lost Spirit)

They could bring in a golem-mancer, who can climb into golems or summon a small army of them to do the dirty work?

These classes could be made to choose their armor weight so you can decide how you want them to dress, and the cosmeitcs you wear so that way it opens up customization and potential in the creation process. This also gives them a reason to revisit character creation and customization; Classes should effect how your character looks and functions in the world and say a warrior could have scars and a necromancer could have additional warpaint or maybe even horns(For non-charr)? This then would make each class not only feel unique, but your character who is your avatar within the world to better reflect you as a person and the type of character it is you're trying to play.

I feel like sure it might upset balance, but won't E-specs as well? I mean balance is a fragile thing and to maintain it becoming stagnant is a must and I feel like guild wars might as well embrace how outlandish some of its classes can be and add to the roster rather than just try and make band-aid specs. Id love to see both, but if I had to choose I think Id pick a new class over E-specs because lets be honest? A new class is a true new way to play a game. An E-spec is just a new addition which borrows from other classes, to fill a gap your class might not be able to fill or potentially a playstyle your class can't run with due to its current set up. This isn't bad but its also not the best way to move forward, in an ideal world we could get new classes AND E-specs.

I don't think we need a need a new profession. Based on your suggestions, I think we should get elite specializations based on Race to make racial skills more competitive.

Mesmer and Revenant aren't new classes btw. Mesmers, which are Illusionist have been in several games and fantasy lore. Revenant, like the Mesmees, may have an original name for a class, but is the classical possessed warrior.

I think GW2 does a great job with how they created professions, developing specializations and traits and establishing the elite specializations. With that being said, I really don't see why they would need a new class. They have all the generic classes, any additional archetype can neatly fit in an elite specializations, and I don't see any room for a new full drawn out class.

They covered an array professional mechanics, greatly developed weapons and utility skills fitting to theme of the professions, and nicely arranged the professions to be assigned to Soliders, Adventurers, & Scholars, along with durability asided fitting to each profession. What's missing?

What classes are missing and how would they be different than what's already there? How strongly do they differ from the current classes and would they bring something new to the table? Why shouldn't they be added as an elite specialization, and how would they fit with what's there.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:People here are saying that new class is too much work, lol.

But your class is your game, and I'd love something new. Actually, new class is a lot easier to balance than the old ones - nobody has set expectations and there are no fanboys of any mechanic.

Why not just wear sword on every class and hit with autoattack through lv 1-80+

i think the flaws in your argument is simple. Yeah ur class is your Game. so why would a company Create a Ordeal where u have to potientally quit ur current class for a New Class. knowing ur going to leave everything you achieved with ur orginal class there. Why not introduce the New features into every class like they do currently which allows u to retain playing one class and Still get new things.

in WoW for example, a larger MMORPG with New classes every 2 expansions, they had what? 1 Success in 3 attempts. and that 1 success lasted exactly one expansion. u look at WoWs most played classes their the base ones. this is because Completionists and achievement hunters arent going to restart their process again. they built what they have with their class.. their immersed in that class, rerolling isnt on the table.. even if they hate their classes. New classes are directly a advantage to new players. not current.

where elite speccs are good for their current players. as it introduces More into the class they had already chosen, i like the fact GW2 invest in their current classes instead of just creating a cycle of rerolls.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@"Shena Fu.5792" said:New classes will attract new players and former players. Everyone would start on the same footing (to some extent.)

It will attract new/former players as much as especs. Or maybe less, seeing how interesting/good especs change the way you play the class, which means basically 9 refreshed classes with some luck.And nobody will magically start on the same footing just because a new class would get introduced into the game -how's that even supposed to work? People that already play the game just "tome" their way to 80 and fully gear the class while knowing and understanding game mechanics. New players are behind no matter what. Not that it matters that much, I just don't understand your point about it (so feel free to explain).

Balance is a design goal, not an excuse that should prevent new content. If they haven't felt balance in all 8 years, they're never ever going to get it right. (Magic the Gathering gets over a thousand new cards every year, but they never stop making new cards just because they fear they can't ever achieve 'balance'.)

Yes. Balance is a design goal and I'm (probably like many other people in this thread/game) well aware it's pretty much unreachable. But that doesn't mean the efforts should be thrown away "because it won't be perfect anyways so w/e". And there's still the fact that whatever they come up with might as well be made into an espec, not sure what's the point of forcing a new class that would be 2 especs "shorter" than the other classes available.Card game is a whole different thing, there's not much content other than releasing new sets, which also doubles as a main/only source of income. Also because of that -power creep. Pretty sure these 2 genres are not comparable in a way you're trying to do it.

Almost(?) anything a new class could do, the 9 especs can arguably do better.

Im sorry excuse me, what? No E-specs never attract anyone outside of the community. No one I've ever met who is a new player has bought in or gotten into this game because of Elite specs and often times newer players have no clue what they are. So you're a bit disillusion, there is a reason guild wars right now is not honestly one of the top and its because frankly we are not well known about. People always act surprised when I bring up guild wars 2 like "Oh its still going?" As if they thought it just died in some pasture somewhere.

Balance is a poor excuse for lacking creativity. One the community LOVES to throw around, just like how they don't have the resources as if A-net is not backed by NCsoft who is huge and is some indie company. If NCsoft wasn't willing to support this game they would of shut it down when they laid a bunch of people off; Clearly there is a reason they are keeping it going. Perhaps because oh I don't know.... It smashed when it initially released and expansions sell well to the community, but I think A-net might have a bigger prize in their sights... which might be a new audience ontop of their current one.

if u watch most of peoples top 10 mmorpgs, GW2 is defintly on them, it has been for a long time. its something most MMO reviewers do promote quite heavily. i agree, it has no New Player attraction on elite speccs. thats very true. but the revenant didnt put the game out there anymore either, heres something to remember. WoW Dropped 7 million players chasing "New player attraction". New players are only good if ur old players arent quitting because of the Structuring to bring in new players.

u will have to accept naturally some would be against new classes, and i can explain it very easily.

a New Class will Appease a Niche of the playerbase looking for that aesthetic / gameplay. but its only going to appeal to those who want to play that new class. a Elite specilization appeases Everyone because it introduces something new directly into Every class, so no matter what class u play this is directly affecting you.

the reason people are commenting on balancing / work load, is because ur not just adding a New Class, ur Adding 3 Elite Specializations on that classes introduction. and increasing the quantity of elite specializations each expansion they've gotta do. its not exactly a One time fire and forget with the gw2 Current model. Nowif they can innovate on the Elite specialization idea more and try new things with it, maybe it'll be even better.. or maybe theres a way forward in this regard.. but i dunno we'll have to wait and see if they try change the design of elite specializations.. as eventually we'll have more elite specs then core speccs...

More work for a new class over especs? New especs means 9 new trait lines. A new class means what, 6? 4 base and 2 elites if they bother with more than one espec for a new class. I say drop new especs and go back to new profesions with expansions. It was way more exciting to anticipate new classes. Just don't pull that revenant locked utility skills nonsense again.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:More work for a new class over especs? New especs means 9 new trait lines. A new class means what, 6? 4 base and 2 elites if they bother with more than one espec for a new class. I say drop new especs and go back to new profesions with expansions. It was way more exciting to anticipate new classes. Just don't pull that revenant locked utility skills nonsense again.

The problem with this is that the game becomes stagnant for people with dedicated mains.

I am one of these people. Maining engineer since launch of this game and I can confidently say that I spend like 99,9% of my playing time on my engineer.The elite specs coming with expansions are one of the major selling points for me, since they give me new tools to play around with my beloved main. And I think there are many people who enjoy to rediscover their favourite character through the lense of a new e-spec.

EDIT: Also a small correction, a new class would mean 7 new trait lines, since every class has 5 core trait lines.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Super Hayes.6890 said:More work for a new class over especs? New especs means 9 new trait lines. A new class means what, 6? 4 base and 2 elites if they bother with more than one espec for a new class. I say drop new especs and go back to new profesions with expansions. It was way more exciting to anticipate new classes. Just don't pull that revenant locked utility skills nonsense again.

The problem with this is that the game becomes stagnant for people with dedicated mains.

I am one of these people. Maining engineer since launch of this game and I can confidently say that I spend like 99,9% of my playing time on my engineer.The elite specs coming with expansions are one of the major selling points for me, since they give me new tools to play around with my beloved main. And I think there are many people who enjoy to rediscover their favourite character through the lense of a new e-spec.

EDIT: Also a small correction, a new class would mean 7 new trait lines, since every class has 5 core trait lines.

Your right, it is 5 core traits. I like your perspective as I main a warrior and play that 80% of the time. It is fun changing it up with the main. Do I like that more than a new class per expansion? I'm not sure since the only new class we got in GW2 had a locked utility bar and that killed it for me. I really want to see what GW2 can do with new classes as we've only had one sampling.

• 2 weeks later...

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

Your right, it is 5 core traits. I like your perspective as I main a warrior and play that 80% of the time. It is fun changing it up with the main. Do I like that more than a new class per expansion? I'm not sure since the only new class we got in GW2 had a locked utility bar and that killed it for me. I really want to see what GW2 can do with new classes as we've only had one sampling.

The issue is when we all day "we want a new class" we have a hidden agenda, not in a bad way. But we have a playstyle we want brought the game and we look at it through the lense of "I would love a new class cause I will play it".Imagine the new class is the complete opposite of what you want. Completely unenjoyablr for you and u don't even level it past 30.

Would you still have enjoyed the new class instead of a elite specc? Likely not..A new class makes that reality for the majority of the playerbase.

The reason the rev wasn't recieved badly is because it was launched by the side of the first looks at elite speccs. Meaning those who didn't wanna play rev was getting a new concept added regardless.

However. Strip away elite speccs, do you think rev alone would of generated the same level of hype? Most likely not. Because its the least played class in the game.

Because pushing with new classes will cause this. They can't keep doing both as it would quite quickly get out of hand.

Each new class they launch needs a baseline 3 mechanics and concepts. Ontop of its core set up. That's alot of development for 1 class.

Adding on the other 9 elites they have to build..

Then this will just keep going up. They will be out of their depths very quickly trying to keep up with new class demand and elite specc demand.