Searching for RANGED DPS profession

Condi shortbow renegade (has rampup time though), rifle deadeye (little to no cleave), condi shortbow soulbeast , power scepter+warhorn tempest (you lose a major part of damage if you aren't overloading in range), condi scourge (scepter).

Mediocre: You could probably do axe+warhorn ranger with a longbow as swap , but offhand axe is best offhand for power ranger. Condi mesmer with scepter is only usable when it is a single target with high attack rate. Core condi engineer with grenades and pistols might work but is clunky to use. Flamethrower doesn't have a huge range but people sometimes use it on scrappers for easy openworld builds. Staff weaver could work but if it's a moving target it will be difficult. Staff and scepter guardians are typically not used in PvE as the sole weapons : usually you have greatsword, sword, or axe as a swap.

Bad ideas: Hammer revenants outside of WVW , Greatsword mesmers, rifle warriors , pistol thieves, longbow warriors, longbow dragonhunters.

There's no consistently high damage at range that's power with high AoE.

@alaan.1746 said:

Ranger shortbow does not have big range. To maximize it's potential you want to be right up close. Dagger is a melee weapon.

Yes, I know that's a melee range, but if there's no good ranged options, I need to learn melee XD

Necro reaper greatsword axe warhorn is a good option.As is warrior berserker dubble axe can use rifle off hand even if its not optimal if you need some range for a breather.

@Infusion.7149 said:Condi shortbow renegade (has rampup time though), rifle deadeye (little to no cleave), condi shortbow soulbeast , power scepter+warhorn tempest (you lose a major part of damage if you aren't overloading in range), condi scourge (scepter).

Mediocre: You could probably do axe+warhorn ranger with a longbow as swap , but offhand axe is best offhand for power ranger. Condi mesmer with scepter is only usable when it is a single target with high attack rate. Core condi engineer with grenades and pistols might work but is clunky to use. Flamethrower doesn't have a huge range but people sometimes use it on scrappers for easy openworld builds. Staff weaver could work but if it's a moving target it will be difficult. Staff and scepter guardians are typically not used in PvE as the sole weapons : usually you have greatsword, sword, or axe as a swap.

Bad ideas: Hammer revenants outside of WVW , Greatsword mesmers, rifle warriors , pistol thieves, longbow warriors, longbow dragonhunters.

There's no consistently high damage at range that's power with high AoE.

Great sword mesmers, wait wut.....

GW2 does not have a real trinity like other gamesTo explain this. Most games use a tank (melee), healers (ranged) and dps (most often ranged as well). The reason the dps is most often ranged is cause that is a safer zone with less damage. This means the healers can concentrate on keeping the tank alive.

GW2 doesn't work like that. Each player is responsable for it's own damage avoiding, healing and dps. you can help others, but this is limited.So when it comes to fighting, you are on your own. Cooperation is done by awarding doing things together by very well done scaling and loot sharing that comes naturally.

To make things balanced, melee classes, who have more trouble staying alive as being melee, deal more DPS.

Now comes the tricky part.There are two things important in any fight.1: staying alive2: killing the other asap

The first is a yes/no scenario. So when you forfill this taks you have done enough. You do not need to overprotect yourself as it is useless. Just do enough to stay alive.The second is more is better. The quicker you can kill, the sooner you are out of danger and can move on.

This means that melee damage is considerd better. You can stay alive in almost all scenario's while dealing the most dps.

@aspirine.6852 said:Great sword mesmers, wait wut.....

The people that see greatsword on StM Chrono on snowcrows and/or metabattle and then proceed to camp it.

It's especially egregious due to this description which is similar to longbow auto on ranger:Shoot a beam at your foe. The farther away they are, the more damage you deal.

Longbow auto on ranger reads: Shoot your foe from long range. The farther the arrow flies, the more damage it does.

@Linken.6345 said:Necro reaper greatsword axe warhorn is a good option.As is warrior berserker dubble axe can use rifle off hand even if its not optimal if you need some range for a breather.A necro camping axe at range (which means warhorn damage will be negligible) and not using reaper shroud in melee is semi-useless compared to a condi scourge or even core power necro...

@Infusion.7149 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:Great sword mesmers, wait wut.....

The people that see greatsword on StM Chrono on snowcrows and/or metabattle and then proceed to camp it.

It's especially egregious due to this description which is similar to longbow auto on ranger:
Shoot a beam at your foe. The farther away they are, the more damage you deal.

Longbow auto on ranger reads:
Shoot your foe from long range. The farther the arrow flies, the more damage it does.

@Linken.6345 said:Necro reaper greatsword axe warhorn is a good option.As is warrior berserker dubble axe can use rifle off hand even if its not optimal if you need some range for a breather.A necro camping axe at range (which means warhorn damage will be negligible) and not using reaper shroud in melee is semi-useless compared to a condi scourge or even core power necro...

Ofcourse and if you read the comment I replied to OP wanted to switch to melee so I gave 2 high health melee option with a weapon to disengage and stay range if needed.

You don't specify the game mode, so I'm going to assume open world.

Staff/Staff condi Mirage is quite capable - not only do you attack from range but you also evade alot, so escaping damage can be fairly easy. You can then move to a staff/axe variant for staff at range, and axe for melee - again you have alot of evades, so it's hard to get killed.

Scepter/torch condi Scourge is quite capable, and can be very tanky.

@Infusion.7149 said:

Bad ideas: Hammer revenants outside of WVW , Greatsword mesmers, rifle warriors , pistol thieves, longbow warriors, longbow dragonhunters.Hey @Infusion.7149 , I just wonder what are your thoughts about gs mesmer there ? To me it is not that bad especially in open world for 2 reasons. 1st with mirage you get some mobility and the ambush attack on gs is great at tagging mobs as gs is not a projectile weapon, but a beam weapon, which makes tagging mobs very easy. A good example is halloween event when, you just aa to not oneshot mobs, but still tag them to get the rewards. I mean it is the only reason I see the utility of ranged "specs" in open world, just to tag mobs while zerging.Another thing is, while I agree with you that mesmer doesn't have any good cleave, in my honest opinion in open world it doesn't matter much as killing mobs solo doesn't make much sense, and while killing in group, you can be useful by pulling mobs with focus. Pchrono got 2nd best (after fb ofc) solo capabilities to kill single targets (which should be the only real problem in Open world) because of the easy availability to might and quickness without any bd (edit: I am talking about the illusions traitline 2 2 1 here, not the SC build) + some good CC to carry people on their champion kills and with a nice bonus of AI being stupid and focusing your phantasms leaving you some time to breathe. Meanwhile the long rampup of chrono wouldn't matter there and still be faster than some condi specs, especially when you got 25 stacks of might and quick permanently along with some alac. Nobody else can surpasss that apart from burn guardian if I am not mistaken.So what are your thoughts about it ?

Longbow ranger is also great for open world ranged, and barrage in particular can easily get you 20-30k dps on packs of mobs. To get the full effect of barrage on open world mobs when you're alone, it takes a bit of practice in terms of placing the aoe itself, as well as pushing back the leading mob with point-blank shot back into the circle. Yes, longbow for rangers is primarily single target (and does that quite well), but knowing how mob movement and terrain works can let you use barrage for excellent lonbow aoe in open world pve.

@Armen.1483 said:

Bad ideas: Hammer revenants outside of WVW , Greatsword mesmers, rifle warriors , pistol thieves, longbow warriors, longbow dragonhunters.Hey @Infusion.7149 , I just wonder what are your thoughts about gs mesmer there ? To me it is not that bad especially in open world for 2 reasons. 1st with mirage you get some mobility and the ambush attack on gs is great at tagging mobs as gs is not a projectile weapon, but a beam weapon, which makes tagging mobs very easy. A good example is halloween event when, you just aa to not oneshot mobs, but still tag them to get the rewards. I mean it is the only reason I see the utility of ranged "specs" in open world, just to tag mobs while zerging.Another thing is, while I agree with you that mesmer doesn't have any good cleave, in my honest opinion in open world it doesn't matter much as killing mobs solo doesn't make much sense, and while killing in group, you can be useful by pulling mobs with focus. Pchrono got 2nd best (after fb ofc) solo capabilities to kill single targets (which should be the only real problem in Open world) because of the easy availability to might and quickness without any bd (edit: I am talking about the illusions traitline 2 2 1 here, not the SC build) + some good CC to carry people on their champion kills and with a nice bonus of AI being stupid and focusing your phantasms leaving you some time to breathe. Meanwhile the long rampup of chrono wouldn't matter there and still be faster than some condi specs, especially when you got 25 stacks of might and quick permanently along with some alac. Nobody else can surpasss that apart from burn guardian if I am not mistaken.So what are your thoughts about it ?

I used to run chrono for helping people out with guildhall when the Bountiful Disillusionment trait was stronger. You could run condi chrono vs high attack rate bosses now but the boons won't be nearly as strong. Currently against bosses I would say condi firebrand variants are the strongest. F1 tome of justice resets are also nice for AoE.