The Insane Cost of the Icebrood Saga Weapon Collections (Update - Still Insane)

Eloc Freidon.5692

@"Delita Silverburg.8632" said:So does the new update mean that those of us who have already dumped thousands of gold down the proverbial economy sink are just going to be SOL?

Or take it as they are listening to us and won't do this with future meta achievements. The "car" loses value when you drive it off the lot after all ?

@Bovan.9481 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:I don't understand the need for refunds on those since nobody even has t3 weapons yet.

I just wanted to drop a quick reply to this message. I fully accept the gold I've lost buy buying ingots, same goes for the non-account bound materials. But because there was little to no communication regarding these currencies I eventually decided to give in and craft the 3 current sets of weapons because I was under the impression there wouldn't be any changes. I simply spend the gold so I could at least manage the 3rd set of collections in the months I've been farming them and the following months I assumed I would still have to work on them.

I'm happy getting some of the raw crystals back just so I'm prepared and able to make the next set, along with anything else that might get thrown at us that will require these in the future. I really don't see there being any harm in partially refunding a few crystals for the people who in this case, are unfortunate enough not to have gotten the full picture in time.

I'm not going to throw a fit or anything, the changes are fantastic. But it does sting a little after this long of a period of time.

But you will not get the crystals back, it would have to be person you bought the ignots from. They cannot give you account bound materials someone else farmed. This is kinda why they cannot refund the crystals, who get refunded, the person who used them to make the ingot that was sold at a profit because of their timegated scarcity or the person who currently owns them and used them to make weapons. No one getting refunded seem the most fair, this prevents those who sold at a huge profit to not double dip, and prevents people from getting accountbound materials they did not farm.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:

But you will not get the crystals back, it would have to be person you bought the ignots from. They cannot give you account bound materials someone else farmed. This is kinda why they cannot refund the crystals, who get refunded, the person who used them to make the ingot that was sold at a profit because of their timegated scarcity or the person who currently owns them and used them to make weapons. No one getting refunded seem the most fair, this prevents those who sold at a huge profit to not double dip, and prevents people from getting accountbound materials they did not farm.

Alright you know what? This is an answer I can accept and live with. It's not something I had considered and it does make sense.

I still don't feel entirely happy at the state these things were in for so long without any communication, but it is what it is.

@Infusion.7149 said:

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:Hi all, I just wanted to jump in and point you toward
regarding some upcoming changes.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback!

Can you ask the team to look at the Volcanic Stormcaller Collection as well? It's a 2000g+ collection that has a mastery point tied to it. It's almost 4x more expensive than the previous mastery point with the highest cost, which makes the Volcanic Stormcaller Collection Mastery Point the only one in the entire game tied to such a ridiculously expensive collection

I'd rather the mastery point be moved to t1 Dragon Slayer weapons collection.I agree a move of the mastery point would be ideal. Or have it only be owning a few of them like the Tengu and Stormcaller

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:Hi all, I just wanted to jump in and point you toward this post regarding some upcoming changes.

41k AP player here.I crafted 120 Ingots before this announcement.At the new cost, that means I lost 120x5 = 600 Crystals. That's 300 DRMs runs(2 per run) that you are invalidating for me.Is it fine to throw under the bus your actual faithful-to-Arenanet-players, who actually bothered playing the content that nobody else wants to play?

The Prismatium Ingot recipe will require 5 Prismaticite instead of 10.CANCEL THIS!

Daily Dragon Responder will reward 20(not 10) Prismaticite instead of 6.INCREASE THIS INSTEAD!Increasing the daily reward will encourage players to play more in the future.It is an account bound mat anyway, so it would not matter much if you increased it even more. The estimated value will average out.

Edit: Another thing you can increase is the 5 Crystals we get from PvP/WvW reward track to 10 instead, or more.

@"Delita Silverburg.8632" said:So does the new update mean that those of us who have already dumped thousands of gold down the proverbial economy sink are just going to be SOL?

You do remember the mystic forge mithril event right?

Noone got reimburst for that either.

@Sobx.1758 said:Here's an easy solution that I've found and for now it's working pretty well for me: ignore overpriced weapons/skins/collections. This way I was able to enjoy the game and not care about something that doesn't impact my gameplay in any way.

^^ Yup that's pretty much me. Really not interested in yet another Saga weapon collection ( getting seriously boring and monotonous, yes Anet I understand it's cheap content to keep giving us weapon collection after weapon collection but I really don't care for such to complete yet another weapons collection to unlock skins I'm not ever going to use for a massive 2-5AP or whatever they even give, just a futile time/gold sink, and like we even need more weapon skins cos we don't have enough already!?!

I could do with a *Block Content button. I guess we can look forward to the next Saga episode with oh wait lets give the players something unique and different: How about another weapons collection with a 2 AP reward at the end, and we'll make it cost 5,000 Gold to unlock: That will keep them entertained while they're waiting for 3rd Xpac.

@Linken.6345 That video is epic !@Eloc Freidon.5692 your thread is right on point: I've never been sucked into making any of the Icebrood Saga wep collections as saw them for what they were ( just cheap, easy to implement, poor quality, content for Anet to keep continuing to roll out in a vain attempt to keep players amused?!), never even made those nasty Boreal ones. But what's really sickening is the staggering cost which is simply unobtainable for the vast % of the playerbase. As Sobx said, best option: Just ignore overpriced collections.

Comparison: Unlock all Icebrood Saga Weapon Collections VS Buy/Craft 5 x Legendary Weapons ? The choice is yours!

@DAN.7314 said:I have already crafted one of the t2 sets, which costs 80 ingots. The t1 set I had to craft before costs 48 ingots. That's 128 ingots total I've used, and with the new recipes saving 5 crystals an ingot I used an extra 640 crystals. Would be nice to get something back. I love the lower cost going forward, but for those that have already completed some of the collections it's pretty inconsiderate.

Once I crafter the thunderhead peaks and they lowered the cost so I sent ticket and she sent me the serpintine i already used. Idk if they will do it for a sellable item but worth a shot

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:None of these coming changes encourages anyone to return to the content after the lethal burnout. It only saves players who newly approaches it and ignores those who had the initiative.No change done after the fact can help people that already burned out due to it. Still, it is good that the problem has been recognized, and, moreover, according to devs it won't be repeated in the future (that one is a biggest point here actually).

Will ingots be refunded to those who completed them?Will prismaticite be refunded to those who used them in ingots?Almost certainly not.

An alternative recipe that uses less Prismaticite and more Orichalcum would be preferred. What is suggested only means more grinding in content people are tired of.You already got a recipe that uses less prismaticite (and without it using more orichalcum) - it will be the base one ("The Prismatium Ingot recipe will require 5 Prismaticite instead of 10.", remember?). The second recipe will be for those that will be willing to spend their time to reduce the cost even further.

@"Turtle Dragon.9241" said:

41k AP player here.I crafted 120 Ingots before this announcement.At the new cost, that means I lost 120x5 = 600 Crystals. That's 300 DRMs runs(2 per run) that you are invalidating for me.Is it fine to throw under the bus your actual faithful-to-Arenanet-players, who actually bothered playing the content that nobody else wants to play?

The Prismatium Ingot recipe will require 5 Prismaticite instead of 10.CANCEL THIS!

Daily Dragon Responder will reward
20(not 10)
Prismaticite instead of 6.INCREASE THIS INSTEAD!Increasing the daily reward will encourage players to play more in the future.It is an account bound mat anyway, so it would not matter much if you increased it even more. The estimated value will average out.

Edit: Another thing you can increase is the 5 Crystals we get from PvP/WvW reward track to 10 instead, or more.

That could work but I think that the new tier of Mastery might increase crystal drops already so whatever internal decision making involved decided to do something even more drastic.Unless the crystals are outright flooded at a rate of over two times what they are now, similar to the Eitrite Ingot acquisition rates , that wouldn't solve the current problem of the extreme amount of crystals required. Increasing the rate steadily as the chapter continues would have been preferable to changing the recipes , as you stated.

Considering how long the PVP/WVW reward tracks take to do, nobody will seriously do a reward track which may take hours just to get 10 crystals. They'd have to reward ingots outright. You'd be better off running a profitable reward track or profiteering off the ~400 gold market value of a Gift of Battle. Unlike memories of otter (which are still vastly slower via reward tracks) which for the most part are not tradable (unless you salvage Volcanic or Charged Stormcaller weapons) there is no reason to do this track for prismaticite crystals currently.

edit: * the valuation as of this post for the reward track per https://fast.farming-community.eu/wvw/reward-track is below Dragonfall and Istan

• With 5 via bags of Icebrood Saga material right now that is a valuation of 20 silver per https://fast.farming-community.eu/conversions/prismaticite-crystal
  • Doubling it would not elevate the reward track to attractive levels.
  • The average DRM takes around 10-12 minutes in an optimized farming squad not autoattacking per the site. That's around 10-12 crystals an hour not including daily bonus. If the next tier of mastery increases the drop by 1 crystal, then that's even more crystals per hour: likely 15-18.

@Linken.6345 said:

You do remember the mystic forge mithril event right?

Noone got reimburst for that either.

Same thing with guild crafting and resonating slivers.

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:Hi all, I just wanted to jump in and point you toward this post regarding some upcoming changes.

Thank you for the update and for the first part of the attempt to make this right. This is the a big step in the right direction, but you needed to go one step further and BEFORE a second recipe gets out there. You need to roll back progress to zero for anyone who had made any progress on the Crimson or the Azure collections requiring Prismaticite Ingots in order to make this update equitable for everyone. I am 22 weapons into these two collections which means, from the perspective of Prismaticite alone I used 550 more crystals than a player who hadn't started this yet. I'd like to ask that you roll these collections all the way back. Return the mats that players used to craft anything that is completed. If you can't see a way to do that, at least allow customer service to return the fair amount of crystals to players who started early. I submitted a ticket and was denied, twice after trying to present that it's not even everything that I want back, at least provide my Prismaticite back. I love that you recognize a mistake, but please don't penalize those who accepted it for what it was and played the game and reward those who didn't. If it were months that had passed and the maps were dead I wouldn't care so much, but that is not the case. This is literally still in mid grind. Before this gets to a place where return of mats can't happen because of differing recipes, please make this right. Please make this equitable for everyone. Not just those who waited. Thanks

@Maryth.9372 said:

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:Hi all, I just wanted to jump in and point you toward
regarding some upcoming changes.

Thank you for the update and for the first part of the attempt to make this right. This is the a big step in the right direction, but you needed to go one step further and BEFORE a second recipe gets out there. You need to roll back progress to zero for anyone who had made any progress on the Crimson or the Azure collections requiring Prismaticite Ingots in order to make this update equitable for everyone. I am 22 weapons into these two collections which means, from the perspective of Prismaticite alone I used 550 more crystals than a player who hadn't started this yet. I'd like to ask that you roll these collections all the way back. Return the mats that players used to craft anything that is completed. If you can't see a way to do that, at least allow customer service to return the fair amount of crystals to players who started early. I submitted a ticket and was denied, twice after trying to present that it's not even everything that I want back, at least provide my Prismaticite back. I love that you recognize a mistake, but please don't penalize those who accepted it for what it was and played the game and reward those who didn't. If it were months that had passed and the maps were dead I wouldn't care so much, but that is not the case. This is literally still in mid grind. Before this gets to a place where return of mats can't happen because of differing recipes, please make this right. Please make this equitable for everyone. Not just those who waited. Thanks

Like try a ticket after the change. They aren't gonna give you items before it would be implemented and possibly cause a drop in ingot price and you could sell all yours today and rebuy. They might not refund at all but they should but tickets before the change have got no shot

I assumed that on each additional new tier mastery we will get additional prismatic drop ... so increased 6 to 10 not make seance.On dragon slayr 7 tier assumed 20 from dayli runs

Edit: Another thing you can increase is the 5 Crystals we get from PvP/WvW reward track to 10 instead, or more.that track is dead .. and valid or very very hardcore spvp/wvw players only .. I assumed that we get 20-30 crystals from start..

But anyway that changes make that many pristamic collection not so toxic/hardcore .. Can make it more chill ? yes, ofc. But what we get on 2 anyway is good changes.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:[...] and, moreover, according to devs
it won't be repeated in the future
(that one is a biggest point here actually).

I don't believe it a second.

Yeah, although this is a very good step IMO I don't really believe that this is the last time that we'll be here.

That said, there have been many missteps in the IBS but I'm glad to see that ArenaNet are willing to correct some of them, at least. Before they'd have ignored the complaints.

Who knows maybe the "new" ArenaNet does learn lessons and we won't see this kind of thing happening again. But, if it does happen again, then at least there's a better chance that they'll be willing to fix it.

@"Maryth.9372" said:Thank you for the update and for the first part of the attempt to make this right. This is the a big step in the right direction, but you needed to go one step further and BEFORE a second recipe gets out there. You need to roll back progress to zero for anyone who had made any progress on the Crimson or the Azure collections requiring Prismaticite Ingots in order to make this update equitable for everyone. I am 22 weapons into these two collections which means, from the perspective of Prismaticite alone I used 550 more crystals than a player who hadn't started this yet. I'd like to ask that you roll these collections all the way back. Return the mats that players used to craft anything that is completed. If you can't see a way to do that, at least allow customer service to return the fair amount of crystals to players who started early. I submitted a ticket and was denied, twice after trying to present that it's not even everything that I want back, at least provide my Prismaticite back. I love that you recognize a mistake, but please don't penalize those who accepted it for what it was and played the game and reward those who didn't. If it were months that had passed and the maps were dead I wouldn't care so much, but that is not the case. This is literally still in mid grind. Before this gets to a place where return of mats can't happen because of differing recipes, please make this right. Please make this equitable for everyone. Not just those who waited. ThanksThey can't. Why? Because those ingots you used for the collection did not necessarily had all to be crafted by you.

Let's say that some of the ingots you used were crafted by you, but some were bought (i don't assume that this is what happened in your case, i'm just making an example). So, in such a case, how the refund should happen?Should you be refunded prismaticite for all ingots you used, even though you didn't actually "lose" any prismaticite on those you bought, or should you be refunded only on those you crafted personally?Should the original crafter that sold their ingot be refunded for those too? Or not? If not, why?If you'd not be refunded prismaticite you never had for ingots you bought, not crafted, should you be refunded part of the price of ingots (because without these additional prismaticites those ingots might have been cheaper) or not? If so, how that refund should be calculated?If the seller that crafted the ingots and sold them on TP were to be refunded prismaticite for those ingots as well, should they lose part of the gold they gained for sale? If so, how would that be calculated?

Does Anet even know how much of your ingots you crafted, and how much you bought?

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Maryth.9372" said:Thank you for the update and for the first part of the attempt to make this right. This is the a big step in the right direction, but you needed to go one step further and BEFORE a second recipe gets out there. You need to roll back progress to zero for anyone who had made any progress on the Crimson or the Azure collections requiring Prismaticite Ingots in order to make this update equitable for everyone. I am 22 weapons into these two collections which means, from the perspective of Prismaticite alone I used 550 more crystals than a player who hadn't started this yet. I'd like to ask that you roll these collections all the way back. Return the mats that players used to craft anything that is completed. If you can't see a way to do that, at least allow customer service to return the fair amount of crystals to players who started early. I submitted a ticket and was denied, twice after trying to present that it's not even everything that I want back, at least provide my Prismaticite back. I love that you recognize a mistake, but please don't penalize those who accepted it for what it was and played the game and reward those who didn't. If it were months that had passed and the maps were dead I wouldn't care so much, but that is not the case. This is literally still in mid grind. Before this gets to a place where return of mats can't happen because of differing recipes, please make this right. Please make this equitable for everyone. Not just those who waited. ThanksThey can't. Why? Because those ingots you used for the collection did not necessarily had all to be crafted by you.

Let's say that some of the ingots you used were crafted by you, but some were bought (i don't assume that this is what happened in your case, i'm just making an example). So, in such a case, how the refund should happen?Should you be refunded prismaticite for all ingots you used, even though you didn't actually "lose" any prismaticite on those you bought, or should you be refunded only on those you crafted personally?Should the original crafter that sold their ingot be refunded for those too? Or not? If not, why?If you'd not be refunded prismaticite you never had for ingots you bought, not crafted, should you be refunded part of the price of ingots (because without these additional prismaticites those ingots might have been cheaper) or not? If so, how that refund should be calculated?If the seller that crafted the ingots and sold them on TP were to be refunded prismaticite for those ingots as well, should they lose part of the gold they gained for sale? If so, how would that be calculated?

Does Anet even
know
how much of your ingots you crafted, and how much you bought?

They should refund the person who crafted the Ingot, that's all. Even if they sold the Ingot, they technically could have twice the number of Ingots to sell, so they still lost. The TP price is determined by us players, so that's irrelevant. Check how many Ingots someone crafted, refund them 5 Crystals per Ingot crafted.

@Turtle Dragon.9241 said:They should refund the person who crafted the Ingot, that's all. Even if they sold the Ingot, they technically could have twice the number of Ingots to sell, so they still lost.But they would have that twice the number to sell only after 23rd. Remember, that the price of ingots decreases with time - it is now lower than it was when they sold theirs. And after 23rd, when the recipes will change, it will go down again. At new recipe they will certainly not be able to sell the ingots at the same price they sold them originally. So, it's not so sure that even if they knew the recipe will change, they would have gained by waiting till that time before crafting.

The TP price is determined by us players, so that's irrelevant. Check how many Ingots someone crafted, refund them 5 Crystals per Ingot crafted.Then we're back to the original question of whether Anet even knows how many ingots someone crafted.

@Turtle Dragon.9241 said:

Does Anet even
know
how much of your ingots you crafted, and how much you bought?

They should refund the person who crafted the Ingot, that's all. Even if they sold the Ingot, they technically could have twice the number of Ingots to sell, so they still lost. The TP price is determined by us players, so that's irrelevant. Check how many Ingots someone crafted, refund them 5 Crystals per Ingot crafted.

They can validate you crafted them. I have had mats returned in the past when I crafted an item of an incorrect weight and yes, I crafted them all.

But the price of ingots decreases with time - it is now lower than it was when they sold theirs. And after 23rd, when the recipes will change, it will go down again. At new recipe they will certainly not be able to sell the ingots at the same price they sold them originally. So, it's not so sure that even if they knew the recipe will change, they would have gained by waiting till that time before crafting.

We are speaking of an Account Bound mat(Prismatium Crystal), that you have to run DRMs to obtain, also known as actually playing the content and trusting Arenanet.If we had known and left them in Crystal form instead of converting them to Ingots prior to this announcement, we could craft TWICE the amount of Ingots(with twice the amount of the other Non-Account-Bound mats).

To clarify: We want the ability to get 2 Ingots out of 10 Crystals if we converted said Crystals into Ingots prior to this announcement/changeAgain, this is an Account Bound mat that takes time to obtain, at 8-10mins per DRM for 2(at the moment). If you spent 40 hours farming DRMs over weeks for those just to find out half of this is just got wasted, you would rather not have played the content at all and have done something else.

What we do with the Ingots(sell, destroy, craft, gift) is irrelevant. The cost of an Ingot on TP is irrelevant. We are not speaking of gold price that fluctuates based on the whims of TP barons, said Crystals are Account Bound mats with no direct value by themselves other than time invested getting them.

The fact that ArenaNet betrays their most faithful fans in such a way is disgusting.

Then we're back to the original question of whether Anet even knows how many ingots someone crafted.

Yes, they have the ability to check if you crafted something. Crafting mistakes happen all the time and customer support has helped with many of those before.