Just how important is using one pet over the other (for PvE Soulbeast, especially)?

Aurelio.6159

I'm thinking about starting a Ranger, but entirely because leaf hounds, and I'd like to roll a Sylvari to match. So I wanted to ask, how big is the gap between using the pets you want rather than what's best, especially for Soulbeast? I'm mainly interested in open world, which I understand allows for much more build freedom, but I'd also appreciate any advice in the context of PvP, Fractals, and Raids.

I'm still new to this game, so I don't know much about classes that I don't play (and not much about the ones I do, either), so thanks in advance for your help!

@Abyssisis.3971 said:Very big, there are only a few pets worth slotting, most of the core games pets aren’t worth using or are so far behind that’s it not worth slotting them over the few useful ones released in hot/pof.

Ah man, that's disappointing. Well, I just found out that there's a cheap Sylvan Pup mini that I can buy, so I'll just get one and have it follow around my Sylvari Guardian. Thanks for the help!

@Aurelio.6159 said:

@Abyssisis.3971 said:Very big, there are only a few pets worth slotting, most of the core games pets aren’t worth using or are so far behind that’s it not worth slotting them over the few useful ones released in hot/pof.

Ah man, that's disappointing. Well, I
just
found out that there's a cheap Sylvan Pup mini that I can buy, so I'll just get one and have it follow around my Sylvari Guardian. Thanks for the help!

Always best sticking to a metaclass.

There's a gap, considering archetypes and pet-specific skills and merged skills, but since this is for open world, it doesn't matter much. Play whatever; you'll be fine, unless you're wanting to solo group events.

However, you can have all kinds of pets unlocked. Just swap them according to your other gaming needs (PvP, Fractals, etc.).

Hello! So, for most of the PvE there's really not a one-meta-build to use forever, you should use fun builds to have fun playing the game. But, in fractals and raids you will probably want to keep with the Meta, and it's sadly not common to see a diversity of pets to merge with soulbeast. Therefore, Fern Hound can be a really useful pet for the Druid, watch this quick video of Mukluk:

. He explains that with the right gear he can be the meta! :)

@"Aurelio.6159" said:in the context of PvP, Fractals, and Raids.

If you're running a power build then you're going to be in merge mode pretty much 99% of the time anyway for the stats boost and sic em bonus in those pve modes

It's why the otherwise completely obsolete and redundant red moa is "best power pet"

For open world, it really doesn't matter tbh if you're fine with how fast you're killing things

Hounds aren't the best but are far from the worst with fern tied with wolf for best hound option in terms of F2 utility