EoD New Profession?

ZarexWolf.5637

Not sure how likely this could be, but it'd most certainly interesting to have a new profession like how we get Revenant with the Heart of Thorns expansion if my memory serves correctly (sorry if I'm way off.) I kinda hope that we'd get one that could use spears on land (I'd link the posts that I saw back then if I could find them again,) maybe something that acts like a dragoon with medium armor? Could use shortbows, sword, and warhorn (that's all I can think of at the moment.) It would be interesting to Aurene's power with this profession, but I kinda got the feeling that'd be least likely. If you guys got a way to make this better or got an idea for what could be the new profession if there will be one.

Not sure how likely this could be

It would be unlikely. A new profession would be a lot of developement/work and unending adjustment/tweak to achieve an illusion of balance. Granted the heavy fosuc of ANet on balance these last years, I doubt a new profession would be a viable option.

Now, don't get me wrong, to bring back or gather new players it would be a great selling point. Yet I doubt it would be cost effective in the end.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

It would be unlikely. A new profession would be a lot of developement/work and unending adjustment/tweak to achieve an illusion of balance. Granted the heavy fosuc of ANet on balance these last years, I doubt a new profession would be a viable option.

Now, don't get me wrong, to bring back or gather new players it would be a great selling point. Yet I doubt it would be cost effective in the end.

Very true, but before Revenant was released, weren't those saying the same thing? Still, it would be a welcomed surprise if ANet did indeed add a new profession. Just got to wait for another video or announcement to drop about what will be new for the expansion.

@ZarexWolf.5637 said:

Very true, but before Revenant was released, weren't those saying the same thing? Still, it would be a welcomed surprise if ANet did indeed add a new profession. Just got to wait for another video or announcement to drop about what will be new for the expansion.

Before rev the game had only 2 heavy classes and no elite specs.

@steki.1478 said:

Before rev the game had only 2 heavy classes and no elite specs.

Yeah, I remember someone telling me how elite specs were amazing when they came with HoT. Though I am now thinking they'd have to make 3 elite specs for the new profession if we do get them. (Which they could work on after the expansion's release and slowly add them when they're ready, if they can afford to do that and have enough time to work on it along with patches and such.)

A new profession would be too much work that'd detract from designing and creating the upcoming elite specializations.

Don't forget that a new profession would also need to come with its own set of three elite specializations.

And that's not even touching balance, which Arenanet seems to be unable to handle with just nine professions.

@Fueki.4753 said:A new profession would be too much work that'd detract from designing and creating the upcoming elite specializations.

Don't forget that a new profession would also need to come with its own set of three elite specializations.

And that's not even touching balance, which Arenanet seems to be unable to handle with just nine professions.

Well, people have said that getting things balanced would be to do away with the professions being different, which is even more unlikely to happen.

@ZarexWolf.5637 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:A new profession would be too much work that'd detract from designing and creating the upcoming elite specializations.

Well, people have said that getting things balanced would be to do away with the professions being different, which is even more unlikely to happen.

But there are games that at least try to close the gaps (FF14 seems rather decent at that).In GW2 it feels too much all over the place and an additional profession would make it even worse.

@Fueki.4753 said:

But there are games that at least try to close the gaps (FF14 seems rather decent at that).In GW2 it feels too much all over the place and an additional profession would make it even worse.

In all honesty, FF14's and GW2's stories are different. I'd be honestly overly impressed if ANet can pull it off.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the last thing GW2 needs is a new profession. I think with them adding elite specializations, they uniquely covered all ranges of classes, and can add additional fantasy tropes to each existing profession. I think what ever class anyone think is missing could easily be added as an elite spec to a current profession or is already existing with a current profession.

@VocalThought.9835 said:I think the last thing GW2 needs is a new profession. I think with them adding elite specializations, they uniquely covered all ranges of classes, and can add additional fantasy tropes to each existing profession. I think what ever class anyone think is missing could easily be added as an elite spec to a current profession or is already existing with a current profession.

What about a music spec?

Yeah, people could just say mesmer. But that would limit the class a lot. There is a lot of musical culture out there that 5 utility + 1 weapon + 1 traitline cannot fit in.

@runeblade.7514 said:

@"VocalThought.9835" said:I think the last thing GW2 needs is a new profession. I think with them adding elite specializations, they uniquely covered all ranges of classes, and can add additional fantasy tropes to each existing profession. I think what ever class anyone think is missing could easily be added as an elite spec to a current profession or is already existing with a current profession.

What about a music spec?

Yeah, people could just say mesmer. But that would limit the class a lot. There is a lot of musical culture out there that 5 utility + 1 weapon + 1 traitline cannot fit in.

That is not really an argument, in my opinion.

Let's say that engineer gets an elite spec based on alchemy. Then you could also say "there are tons of different fields of expertise in chemistry and bio-technology, just an elite spec won't do that justice".But alchemy and chemistry are part of the engineer thematics, if something in that direction happens, it will be an elite spec for engineer.

The same applies to music. It is thematically already tied to mesmer, so it most likely just has a chance to get implemented as a mesmer elite spec.

@runeblade.7514 said:What about a music spec?

@"Kodama.6453" said:That is not really an argument, in my opinion.

Let's say that engineer gets an elite spec based on alchemy. Then you could also say "there are tons of different fields of expertise in chemistry and bio-technology, just an elite spec won't do that justice".But alchemy and chemistry are part of the engineer thematics, if something in that direction happens, it will be an elite spec for engineer.

The same applies to music. It is thematically already tied to mesmer, so it most likely just has a chance to get implemented as a mesmer elite spec.

I would definitely say this be a Mesmer elite. They could give them a war Horn and shout skills. 'Click' "That was Easy"!

I'm very doubtful ... at this point introducing a new profession (assuming it gets 3 elites as well) would be pretty ambitious. I don't see that an expansion would have the bandwidth for such a thing. I mean, would Anet make people go back to HOT, POF for HP's they need to unlock them all? Would they put in the 30 or so HP's they need to unlock them in ONE expansion?

@"Kodama.6453" said:That is not really an argument, in my opinion.

A better example would be a mesmer merging as an elementalist elite spec and giving them Mirror image as a F5 skill and calling it a day. A lot of mages from other games give mirror clones to mages instead of making an illusionist mage. Imagine how different would the game be if ANet just did that.

However, with a music spec, You have Norn and their Viking-like songs, Asura with 8-bit music, Humans with classical and marching band music, Sylvari with nature like music, Charr and their metal band. Lion Arch with sea shanties. Each with very distinct cultures. As elite specs, It can be expanded to Cantha with Asian like music, with Elona and African inspired music. Not to mention that there are whole races.

And we don't have to limit to just Bard and music. Dancing is part of entertainment. Dancer and Bard tend to be part of the troupe.

A mesmer would just limit the class to just one subset of a genre.

@"VocalThought.9835" said:I would definitely say this be a Mesmer elite. They could give them a war Horn and shout skills. 'Click' "That was Easy"!

Agh no.

I would definitely not want to see Bards having shouts. Rift had short burst of instrument sounds and that was terrible.

I want to see Bards be more like Ragnarok Online bards where they actually play songs during battle.

@"runeblade.7514" said:A better example would be a mesmer merging as an elementalist elite spec and giving them Mirror image as a F5 skill and calling it a day. A lot of mages from other games give mirror clones to mages instead of making an illusionist mage. Imagine how different would the game be if ANet just did that.

However, with a music spec, You have Norn and their Viking-like songs, Asura with 8-bit music, Humans with classical and marching band music, Sylvari with nature like music, Charr and their metal band. Lion Arch with sea shanties. Each with very distinct cultures. As elite specs, It can be expanded to Cantha with Asian like music, with Elona and African inspired music. Not to mention that there are whole races.

And we don't have to limit to just Bard and music. Dancing is part of entertainment. Dancer and Bard tend to be part of the troupe.

You are forgetting one tiny, but important detail. Anet already established music as being part of the mesmer thematic.It makes no sense to seperate a thematic, which is already part of an existing class, to make an entire new class out of that theme.

Imagine if Anet would suddenly decide to remove water magic from elementalist, then introduce a new class called the "cryomancer", which is basically just what the water elementalist has been before. Or they remove the alchemy aspects of engineer (alchemy trait line + elixirs), throwing a new alchemist class at us.

I understand that you personally think that an elite spec can't do the bard justice. But in my opinion, there is absolutely no other way to get the bard introduced into the game except as a mesmer elite spec. Because it makes no sense to not use this way if music is already an integrated thematic of the mesmer.

You are forgetting one tiny, but important detail. Anet already established music as being part of the mesmer thematic.

I missed it because they didn't establish music being a mesmer thematic.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"runeblade.7514" said:A better example would be a mesmer merging as an elementalist elite spec and giving them Mirror image as a F5 skill and calling it a day. A lot of mages from other games give mirror clones to mages instead of making an illusionist mage. Imagine how different would the game be if ANet just did that.

You are forgetting one tiny, but important detail. Anet already established music as being part of the mesmer thematic.It makes no sense to seperate a thematic, which is already part of an existing class, to make an entire new class out of that theme.

Except, no. They didn't.

Nothing says music there. None of the traits or skills says music.

Imagine if Anet would suddenly decide to remove water magic from elementalist, then introduce a new class called the "cryomancer", which is basically just what the water elementalist has been before. Or they remove the alchemy aspects of engineer (alchemy trait line + elixirs), throwing a new alchemist class at us.

Frost magic is better off split from ele. I can't make a decent frost mage dps build because water magic is all about healing. Your cryomancer example is a good example why Bard should not be a Mesmer elite. It would neuter the music spec so much.

@runeblade.7514 said:Nothing says music there. None of the traits or skills says music.

Siren's call. The skill icon even literally has a musical note shown. Or you want to argue that musical notes have nothing to do with music?

Frost magic is better off split from ele. I can't make a decent frost mage dps build because water magic is all about healing. Your cryomancer example is a good example why Bard should not be a Mesmer elite. It would neuter the music spec so much.

Yeah, that's how you see it. But if you really think Anet would ever do something like this, then I think you are going to get disappointed.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"runeblade.7514" said:Nothing says music there. None of the traits or skills says music.

Siren's call. The skill icon even literally has a musical note shown. Or you want to argue that musical notes have nothing to do with music?

So, just one skill. Not a entire skill line?

A skill in a weapon in a content that is dead.

Ok then,

Delete Ranger for using a warrior skill.

Delete Warrior for using a Ranger skill.

Merge them both into a single class. We can ignore everything else that the class stands for because of a single skill. That is what you sound like.

Yeah, that's how you see it. But if you really think Anet would ever do something like this, then I think you are going to get disappointed.

Hopefully they won't make Bard a mesmer spec because it makes no sense. I rather wait for a bard class than have a neutered class.

@runeblade.7514 said:

@runeblade.7514 said:Nothing says music there. None of the traits or skills says music.

So, just one skill. Not a entire skill line?

A skill in a weapon in a content that is dead.

Ok then,

for using a warrior skill.

for using a Ranger skill.

Merge them both into a single class. We can ignore everything else that the class stands for because of a single skill. That is what you sound like.

Hopefully they won't make Bard a mesmer spec because it makes no sense. I rather wait for a bard class than have a neutered class.

I'm sorry, but I'd have to agree with Kodama. Mesmer is the Bard. If they were going to add Bard or bard'ish skills to the game, it'll be via Mesmer. I know you would like Bard to be it's own profession, but if they were to create a profession that sings, dances, or plays an instrument, it'll would get reinterpreted to fit a Mesmer Elite Spec.

You might as well start thinking of core classes as the spoke of class archetype and the specializations, core and elite, as a branch from that spoke. Adding a Bard Profession is least likeliest thing ANet would do. You're better off getting some instruments weapon styles and roleplay.

@runeblade.7514 said:

@VocalThought.9835 said:I think the last thing GW2 needs is a new profession. I think with them adding elite specializations, they uniquely covered all ranges of classes, and can add additional fantasy tropes to each existing profession. I think what ever class anyone think is missing could easily be added as an elite spec to a current profession or is already existing with a current profession.

What about a music spec?

Ok, then what COULD a music spec do in GW2?

It's fairly limited, IMO, without some kind of backdrop to put it on. To make an entire combat profession using music will get you running dry really quick. You don't have to cover all cultures with just an espec, just one. And if you can think of some other options that overflow from a single idea, make another espec for another (or the same) profession. It's entirely unnecessary to make a whole profession (combat) for music.

@"Leo G.4501" said:Ok, then what COULD a music spec do in GW2?

I can pretty much give examples (not bothering with weapon or utilities, just F skills):

Warrior with a GW's paragon twist as an example for a "music e-spec":

• Give the warrior an F2 and call it chorus that last 7-8s after being used.
  • Change all bursts to Songs, dealing low damage around the warrior but granting various "on your next hit" effects to the warrior's allies within X range.
  • The chorus is then refreshed whenever a song end on him.
  • Just add background music around the warrior (audio or visual) when you're under the effect of the F2.

Revenant with his own take on a "music e-spec":

• Have an F2 called epic that changed based on the legend channeled costing low amount of upkept energy.
  • Make this skill summon a "ghost" of the legend channeled and change your weapon skills into a kit that's dedicated to control the "ghost".
  • Each skill of this "kit" would be a "verse" depicting a glorious action of the legend that the "ghost" would then reproduce.
  • Just add background music around the revenant (audio or visual) when you use the F2.

The warrior's one would be pretty flexible based on weapon and trait choice. The revenant would be pretty close to the ranger main mechanism yet very different (useless in WvW zerg thought).

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Leo G.4501" said:Ok, then what COULD a music spec do in GW2?

I can pretty much give examples (not bothering with weapon or utilities, just F skills):

Warrior with a GW's paragon twist as an example for a "music e-spec":
  • Give the warrior an F2 and call it
    chorus
    that last 7-8s after being used.Echoing Refrain good sir, and it causes an effect based on your grandmaster selected to happen after any shout or 'burst' is used, and is refreshed if a burst is used.
  • Change all bursts to
    Songs
    , dealing low damage around the warrior but granting various "on your next hit" effects to the warrior's allies within X range.Aria's good sir.
  • The
    chorus
    is then refreshed whenever a song end on him.See above.
  • Just add background music around the warrior (audio or visual) when you're under the effect of the F2.Changes based on the Grandmaster trait selected. One is an epic battle song, one is a calming melody, and the last is a GW2 version of Charlie Mops - 'Beer, Beer, Beer'