Requesting a brief update on roaming meta.

mistsim.2748

Back after about a year. just trying to get an idea of what's hot right now for small gang or outnumbered fights. Looking to roam with 3-4 friends.

1. Before I left I was playing a condi bunker Soulbeast to great effect. Did it move up in the meta?
  2. Was Malyx rev roamer gutted, or still decent?
  3. Any decent roaming guard builds? Burn guard? Looking at this marauder core build - can I run that in small gangs as well or just zergs?

Thx.

Eh, play on what you want to play on and look up a roaming build online if you can't come up with one.Thief/Ranger/Engi/Mes, er anything with above-par mobility really are your best options, but a decent player will farm more bags on a profession they're familiar with than a bad thief or ranger.

You could play condi soulbeast, but if you're going to go condi, ancient seeds on Druid to lock people into those traps you drop is hard to pass up. If you prefer the playstyle of soulbeast, I'd suggest power.

~ Kovu

@bigo.9037 said:thief is still nr 1, followed by power nades scrapper and power soulbeast in nr 3.everything else is pretty even though afaik.

actually let me elaborate on this it’s a little bit more complicated.

nades scrapper is probably nr1 for roaming in small groups as it brings direct support with projectile blocks vs rangers, it also has gyro and i think can easily be equipped to res and stomp more easily, on top of the nutters damage that nades do.

soulbeast shares spot nr 2 with thief as it has a ton of single target burst dmg with decent sustain unless enemy is running reveal or has boon strip which is why thief counters soulbeast.

thief is nr 2 even though it doesn’t have the insane single target burst as soulbeast or the very high aoe damage as nades scrapper, and it is usually forced to play somewhat defensive but it is very good at keeping consistent pressure on a target with unblockable steal + boon rip and other cc, without being able to get focused down as they have too many ways to avoid getting pressured themselves because of evades and stealth. thief does win 1v1 against pretty much everything though. also bonus points for being able to leave pretty much any fight they want cus of stealth and mobility.

@"gebrechen.5643" said:Wait a minute. I constantly read here about "condition is soooo strong, nerf pls" and there isn't even a top 3 condi build for roaming? Consider me totally surprised.

things like condi scourge can be a serious threat no doubt, but they are vulnerable to CC and can be focused down in that way. the main problem with condi is that they are very tanky because of trailblazer or dire stats. but if scourge doesn’t have a support with them, enemy can cleanse condis and get bombed quite quickly if 2 ppl focus.

however tbf, you can make a lot of builds viable by running support tempest, scrapper or FB as support is currently massively overtuned for small fights.

@bigo.9037 said:

@bigo.9037 said:thief is still nr 1, followed by power nades scrapper and power soulbeast in nr 3.everything else is pretty even though afaik.

nades scrapper is probably nr1 for roaming in small groups as it brings direct support with projectile blocks vs rangers, it also has gyro and i think can easily be equipped to res and stomp more easily, on top of the nutters damage that nades do.

soulbeast shares spot nr 2 with thief as it has a ton of single target burst dmg with decent sustain unless enemy is running reveal or has boon strip which is why thief counters soulbeast.

thief is nr 2 even though it doesn’t have the insane single target burst as soulbeast or the very high aoe damage as nades scrapper, and it is usually forced to play somewhat defensive but it is very good at keeping consistent pressure on a target with unblockable steal + boon rip and other cc, without being able to get focused down as they have too many ways to avoid getting pressured themselves because of evades and stealth. thief does win 1v1 against pretty much everything though. also bonus points for being able to leave pretty much any fight they want cus of stealth and mobility.And to further elaborate on that, for every nade scrapper there is at least 20 daredevils and 30 soulbeasts so being number 1 is clearly relative.

@bigo.9037 said:

@"gebrechen.5643" said:Wait a minute. I constantly read here about "condition is soooo strong, nerf pls" and there isn't even a top 3 condi build for roaming? Consider me totally surprised.

things like condi scourge can be a serious threat no doubt, but they are vulnerable to CC and can be focused down in that way. the main problem with condi is that they are very tanky because of trailblazer or dire stats. but if scourge doesn’t have a support with them, enemy can cleanse condis and get bombed quite quickly if 2 ppl focus.

however tbf, you can make a lot of builds viable by running support tempest, scrapper or FB as support is currently massively overtuned for small fights.

To be honest. No, they are more tanky of course, but not tanky at all. You still get above 6k from most power builds on high toughness. The whole "condi is op" topic is utterly stupid still because except for 1-2 builds that massively stack conditions with too few skills condition builds are completely dead.If you can't stack 8+ stacks of burning or torment it will be cleansed before it really gets bad.

@gebrechen.5643 said:

@gebrechen.5643 said:Wait a minute. I constantly read here about "condition is soooo strong, nerf pls" and there isn't even a top 3 condi build for roaming? Consider me totally surprised.

To be honest. No, they are more tanky of course, but not tanky at all. You still get above 6k from most power builds on high toughness. The whole "condi is op" topic is utterly stupid still because except for 1-2 builds that massively stack conditions with too few skills condition builds are completely dead.If you can't stack 8+ stacks of burning or torment it will be cleansed before it really gets bad.

they have a lot of barrier. i run around on nearly a pure dmg setup and i hardly put a dent in a good scourge’s hp if they know how to time their barriers etc. it’s a rather long fight considering how much dmg i deal to other builds.

i never said they are OP though. it’s only a select few builds, i’m just saying they are still a threat. cherald is good example too.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

thief is nr 2 even though it doesn’t have the insane single target burst as soulbeast or the very high aoe damage as nades scrapper, and it is usually forced to play somewhat defensive but it is very good at keeping consistent pressure on a target with unblockable steal + boon rip and other cc, without being able to get focused down as they have too many ways to avoid getting pressured themselves because of evades and stealth. thief does win 1v1 against pretty much everything though. also bonus points for being able to leave pretty much any fight they want cus of stealth and mobility.And to further elaborate on that, for every nade scrapper there is at least 20 daredevils and 30 soulbeasts so being number 1 is clearly relative.

that is my experience. just because you don’t see everyone run it doesn’t mean much. by this logic you’d think 90% of roamers were playing condi mirage before it got nerfed into oblivion..most players are bad. i don’t really care what they play lol

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Yeah ...those 2-3 de and soulbeast surely make a difference killing that blue uplevel at 3am....good thing rest of the day is dominated by roaming parties of scrappers/tempest/firebrand/condi heralds and reaper/core necro

@mistsim.2748 said:Back after about a year. just trying to get an idea of what's hot right now for small gang or outnumbered fights. Looking to roam with 3-4 friends.

1. Before I left I was playing a condi bunker Soulbeast to great effect. Did it move up in the meta?
  3. Any decent roaming guard builds? Burn guard? Looking at this marauder core build - can I run that in small gangs as well or just zergs?

Thx.

1.No it sucks, they removed pet swap for soulbeast, barely good vs uplevel during a pugfest...you will get zerged down and die these days on a condi bunker2.OP in normal hands, vastly so in experienced hands, pivotal part of gank parties3.Burn dh and burn core are in a great spot, core condi guard used to be zerg meta not too long ago before scrapper arrival

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Yeah ...those 2-3 de and soulbeast surely make a difference killing that blue uplevel at 3am....good thing rest of the day is dominated by roaming parties of scrappers/tempest/firebrand/condi heralds and reaper/core necroYeah all those minstrel pocket healer scrappers sure do devastating damage with grenades.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@mistsim.2748 said:Back after about a year. just trying to get an idea of what's hot right now for small gang or outnumbered fights. Looking to roam with 3-4 friends.

Thx.

1.No it sucks, they removed pet swap for soulbeast, barely good vs uplevel during a pugfest...you will get zerged down and die these days on a condi bunker2.OP in normal hands, vastly so in experienced hands, pivotal part of gank parties3.Burn dh and burn core are in a great spot, core condi guard used to be zerg meta not too long ago before scrapper arrival

ranger should easily be able to beat condi revenants. if you play WS traitline you’re just farting cleanses left and right. especially with cleansing sigil which cleanses 3 condis. i beat them on my skirmishing build cus i run 2 cleanse sigils.

A lot of this is all kitten, the best roaming meta is a player that knows not only his class but the other classes as well, knowing the terrain is enormous plus. Not just where shit is, but where to exploit for your classes abilities.

Sure there is cheese out there, nade scrapper, dp/sa thief. But they can still be dealt with if you know how they play.

The roaming meta is about awareness and skill.

I play mirage when I roam, it’s no where near a meta build or class. I still bag all these guys running around daily.

@bigo.9037 said:

that is my experience. just because you don’t see everyone run it doesn’t mean much. by this logic you’d think 90% of roamers were playing condi mirage before it got nerfed into oblivion..most players are bad. i don’t really care what they play lol

I actually don't remember the last time I saw a nade scrapper roaming in wvw. You see a dozen holosmiths for every nade scrapper. Simple fact of the matter is that scrapper can't run from any engagement the way thief, mesmer, ranger can. You have to be willing to accept that you will die from time to time and not be able to ooc any losing fight you want. Most roamers can't handle that, so they don't play scrapper. If you don't factor compensation for fragile egos into your ranking, it isn't going to be accurate.