Really looking for a little help..HoT and PoF

@"HATORI HANZO.9562" said:Relatively new to the game...45 days tops and I have managed to get a character up to level 80 w/out using a boost. (Human/Elementalist)So tying HoT and it's a nightmare...pocket raptors swarm all over me and take me out before I can even launch an attack.Then somebody suggests PoF..(much more fun to play)..ok the first event I do against the first she thing or what ever that is quickly becomes a disaster....even after 10 retries.

I am at a loss as to where to turn to even try to gain any entrainment value from the game at this point.

Two guilds have taken pity on me and sent me invites but I never see anybody from them and when I go to the halls there is never anybody there. I can't even figure out how to make a deposit to help out the cause.

I get that there is a learning curve but even if I find myself in much lower tier areas anytime I am up against more than one character its lights out for me.I am a casual player with a career, kids, grandkids, and two ex-wifes so not a huge amount of time but I manage to get on every day for some stress relief and after walking away from World of Tanks after 8 years I was looking for something else.

I have heard I have taken a very difficult and "squishy" choice with my player but I still don't get how I am getting smoked so quickly in a lot of areas. It's not like I am walking headfirst into a champion with trash gear but c'mon there are times I am on the ground even before I see what the hell hit me.

Yeah yeah...I can see anyone who reads this (even tyblat leftpaw) posting all of the resources for new players and all the guides and all the other stuff...if reading and research is the only way for improvement then I am willing to just let Arenanet keep my 90 bucks and walk off into the sunset.

I have always been a learn by failing sort of person but I just feel at a point where the failure is inevitable and there is nothing to gain.

I don't mean to discourage you, but if you're averse to learning a complex game I think expansion content in GW2 will continue to frustrate you.

I'd like to try to help you if you're interested. I specialize in elementalist (weaver, specifically) and solo play is my focus. I would be happy to help you unlock your elite specs and perhaps suggest some builds and strategies that will make the gameplay less frustrating. But it is going to require a lot of learning either way. That's just the nature of a game like this. It takes practice.

Having said that, once you get the hang of timing, positioning, and the other nuances of GW2 combat, you will probably be amazed at what you can do. I used to get murdered by pocket raptors as a new player, too. Now even champions and some legendary bosses aren't a problem! Here's a quick sample clip to give you an idea. This boss hits like a truck and can take me down in seconds...but not if she can't hit me!

@HATORI HANZO.9562 said:

@HATORI HANZO.9562 said:some stuffThere may be a few things at work here. If you are interested, send me a message in game and we can take a look at what is going on.

What's the easiest way to do that....plus I still looking for help with the quick links and or text links in order to use the "build" website.add my global name as a friend (mindcircus.1506). When you see me come online. whisper me.I will be on about a half hour after I post this.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@HATORI HANZO.9562 said:some stuffThere may be a few things at work here. If you are interested, send me a message in game and we can take a look at what is going on.

What's the easiest way to do that....plus I still looking for help with the quick links and or text links in order to use the "build" website.add my global name as a friend (mindcircus.1506). When you see me come online. whisper me.I will be on about a half hour after I post this.

OK but I wont be home until 4:30 EST or so....work does get in the way.

@HATORI HANZO.9562 said:

OK but I wont be home until 4:30 EST or so....work does get in the way.Absolutely... just shoot me a message any time you see me online.

@HATORI HANZO.9562 said:

What's the easiest way to do that....plus I still looking for help with the quick links and or text links in order to use the "build" website.

Do you mean saving the links or visiting the sites?When you press Get Quicklink, it's created. then you'll be able to click on the smaller grey button, Copy, just to the left. That will copy the link to your Clipboard.Maybe if you save that link to your Notepad or some file of your own, where you can keep notes?

@"HATORI HANZO.9562" said:The build site is a tad unintuitive...

Not really. Everything has a name tag, so you instantly know what the field/button does. Just take the time to get into it, you will find out how useful it really is, I promise you. :)

as I have no clue about quick links or chat links after spending about 40 minutes loading what I think I have only to find I can't get it quite right

You enter all skills, traits and equipment, choose the upgrades and buff food, then select the game mode (PvE/PvP/WvW) in the upper right corner, then click on "Quick Link" at the bottom of the page to receive an URL that you can share with others or bookmark for yourself (make sure to enter that URL in the browser's address bar first and press enter before you bookmark the page).

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"HATORI HANZO.9562" said:The build site is a tad unintuitive...

Not really. Everything has a name tag, so you instantly know what the field/button does. Just take the time to get into it, you will find out how useful it really is, I promise you. :)

as I have no clue about quick links or chat links after spending about 40 minutes loading what I think I have only to find I can't get it quite right

You enter all skills, traits and equipment, choose the upgrades and buff food, then select the game mode (PvE/PvP/WvW) in the upper right corner, then click on "Quick Link" at the bottom of the page to receive an URL that you can share with others
or
bookmark for yourself (make sure to enter that URL in the browser's address bar first and press enter before you bookmark the page).

So the process is building my character and then generating a link that I can post for others to see, as opposed to the crafting website where you use the API key specific to your game and stats in GW2 that you then "post" on the crafting website that can then tell you how much stuff you have and need to craft up to 400 as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

@"HATORI HANZO.9562" said:So the process is building my character and then generating a link that I can post for others to see, as opposed to the crafting website where you use the API key specific to your game and stats in GW2 that you then "post" on the crafting website that can then tell you how much stuff you have and need to craft up to 400 as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

Err... my apologies, I wasn't responding to crafting but merely to the GW2skills.net website you said you had trouble handling (unless I misread your post). Your API key isn't of help when you want to preview a build or fiddle around with one or build one from scratch until you reach the desired results - no other site provides you with options and a preview like that.

@HATORI HANZO.9562 said:

@HATORI HANZO.9562 said:The build site is a tad unintuitive...

You enter all skills, traits and equipment, choose the upgrades and buff food, then select the game mode (PvE/PvP/WvW) in the upper right corner, then click on "Quick Link" at the bottom of the page to receive an URL that you can share with others
or
bookmark for yourself (make sure to enter that URL in the browser's address bar first and press enter before you bookmark the page).

So the process is building my character and then generating a link that I can post for others to see, as opposed to the crafting website where you use the API key specific to your game and stats in GW2 that you then "post" on the crafting website that can then tell you how much stuff you have and need to craft up to 400 as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

This site doesn't have any connection to your account. It's more like a sandbox for you to experiment with different choices and builds, then you'll see what attributes you'll get and how the skills and runes will affect each other.This tool is very useful to get a better understanding of how skills, weapons and specializations are related to each other.

Some skills get more effective from a specific attribute and you want to combine the runes and specializations in a way to max out that attribute.Of course, it's not that easy to add 2500 to Condition Damage and think that is enough. Expertise will both help out, but also limit how much effect you'll get. Knowing how the attributes are related will help a lot and there's some reading in the Wiki if you want to deep dive into the subject.Using the Build Editor and experimenting will give you a hint.

@"HATORI HANZO.9562" said:I will try the build site tonight again to see if I can build exactly what I have.

If you have trouble to fill out what you have, then I would recommend https://gw2efficiency.com/ and link your API key (that you create and copy from your GW2 account). When you have created API key and added to gw2efficeny it will then be able to read the information stored from you account and present it in your browser from this site.

When you have done this you will be able to go to your (displayed as links) Account>Character and from there you now see you equipment and traits. There is option to create a link to share what you want to share with a radio box you tick or untick as you like to share or unshare things.

This site also helps you to find rich ore nodes and other things, so I would recommend to start use this site when you are new to slowly gain material (short: mats). It will show image of where the closest Waypoint is and how they got there (look at the white line and where you see the golden marker for player standing on map). Copy chat link from site (mark inside the field and use control+A to mark everything in box, copy it with control+C and go back to game and activate chat/click in chat and past it into chat field. You will now see name of waypoint instead of [khjdaXXfd] code. Press click on that name/chat link and it should bring up main map and now you travel there (if you have unlocked waypoint from before).

Gw2effiency do also links directly from site with a small "w" which stand for GW2 wiki links, if you need more information on items etc.

Combine this site with Build Editor (short: BE) or GW2skills.com which is the same site, people here explained for you will help you a lot to get advice. I would avoid using metabattle or SnowCrow as those sites are for people that have played a long time and understand how certain things work. As an example there are some builds that focus a lot on only damage (meaning Berserker attributes) which make you very that there other professions that can provide you with extra healing, increased health pool from barrier and other types of defence which you don't have easy access to as a single player in open world content (or OverWorld - OW as some cut it down into).

The reason for this is that most player work as a group (and also either use Party or Squad to link themselves to each other) and use something called "stacking" which means stand very close to get the most of close ranged boons and combo fields to increase both damage and conditions that do not necessarily do damage like Blind, Chill, Slow etc to target. Combo fields are something some player have hard to time to understand, but it is necessary to both learn and to be prepared to use when those are up in the right time. As Ele you have access to fire fields which you then use a blast finisher to (that the "combo" to increase Might for those people standing in that field as an example.

Another tip is that when you use google or duckduckgo.com search engine on web you can always find what you look for with GW2 as part of your search: "GW2 combo" in search field should bring you to GW2 wiki page for combo fields as the first line on web page for that search. It should cut down your time to search for things when you combine GW2 in what you are looking for and will also find Youtube video if you look for video how to do things or guides for achievements.

It might be overwhelming with all this information, but on the plus side this game have been rather stable (for how things work in game) and have a community that work hard to keep information about changes updated. Third party sites like Build Editor, GW2effieciendy and so on also helps to make things easier then a couple years ago.

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@"HATORI HANZO.9562" said:I will try the build site tonight again to see if I can build exactly what I have.

If you have trouble to fill out what you have, then I would recommend
and link your API key (that you create and copy from your GW2 account). When you have created API key and added to gw2efficeny it will then be able to read the information stored from you account and present it in your browser from this site.

I think I just did that now I have this....oh wait I can't post a picture for whatever reason..

People are just trying to do too many things at once. Info dumps are terrible for teaching.

GW2Efficiency is a great tool for trying to optimize certain things AFTER you are already familiar with how stuff works.

Figure out how combat works and then stats make more sense. Everything else can be ignored because you will need to fight stuff everywhere and for everything.

• Like 1

@"Khisanth.2948" said:People are just trying to do too many things at once. Info dumps are terrible for teaching.

GW2Efficiency is a great tool for trying to optimize certain things AFTER you are already familiar with how stuff works.

Figure out how combat works and then stats make more sense. Everything else can be ignored because you will need to fight stuff everywhere and for everything.

Completely agree with Khisanth, it seems like you (OP) are is still unfamiliar with how some of the game works, so something like GW2Efficiency - while certainly useful - might not be all that helpful at the moment.I would recommend giving Mighty Teapots "Guild Wars 2 Ultimate Beginner's Guide" series on YouTube a look, he goes over pretty much everything you need to know about mechanics, gear, etc., and they are nicely timestamped so you can jump to what you need.

[

]

Lots of folks trying to help with various advice, suggestions, etc (and this community is truly amazing in that regards, generally everyone is friendly, helpful and willing to assist anyone) but I think a lot of folks are missing a couple of key points from the OP:

Relatively new to the game...45 days tops and I have managed to get a character up to level 80 w/out using a boost. (Human/Elementalist)45 days really isn't a lot of time to learn much of anything, but then there's this bit as well:I am a casual player with a career, kids, grandkids, and two ex-wifes so not a huge amount of time but I manage to get on every day for some stress relief and after walking away from World of Tanks after 8 years I was looking for something else.Seeing those two points I'm wondering just how much GW2 content you've managed to complete so far, as well as what other gaming experience you have. I suspect that may well be the sort of information that would likely help everyone to understand just what type of advice, suggestions etc to offer to you.

There's also this bit in the OP that gives me pause for concern:

if reading and research is the only way for improvement then I am willing to just let Arenanet keep my 90 bucks and walk off into the sunsetI suspect there is going to be a need to do some reading and research so that you can learn and understand all of this great advice you're getting. Usually all that reading and research can actually lead to a much better understanding of the game, which in turn leads to a greater enjoyment of the game! ;)

Something to point out is that you can ask in-game for help to complete Story Content, you do not have to complete it solo! There are usually others willing to group up to tackle and complete story content, especially to complete certain story achievements that are almost impossible to complete in solo play! ;)

You may also want to consider looking for (and joining) a large active guild. Such guilds will certainly have other members who are willing to help out with completing various content, as well as helping you to learn various parts of the game.

My suggestion would be to play more simple and forgiving class first and return to elementalist once you have a better grasp of the game. Necromancer and ranger are likely the most newbie friendly choises in GW2. Ranger has a pet and necromancer can summon minions which will help a lot by making the mobs attack them instead of you.

In WoT terms (which I've also played many years), I'd recommend playing heavy and medium tanks before going into scouts, especially in high tier games.

Doing some reading and research is unavoidable, but how much research is up to you.I played for a long time before my first wiki lookup, but that is individual and you decide what you need to learn about or what you want to improve.

I focused a lot on the Story and Map Completion. But I also had a short break sometimes to join other groups and help in some events that needed people.That made the story take a little longer time, but I also got to meet some awesome people.

When I arrived at Verdant Brink, I started to check on some build guides, tried to copy someone else from Youtube and later on Metabattle. That didn't work very well, because I played a little different than they did on the guide. But that made me understand a little more about how the attributes work and are related to each other.

In my opinion, the guides were still useful but I needed a build that was adapted to how I play. I wasn't interested in adapting the way I play to someone elses build.After playing and experimenting I eventually found a weapon combination that I liked, that was perfect for my way of playing.That's when I started to experiment a little more with my attributes.

Next thing I focused on was Crafting. Learning to make my own gear.Of course I didn't start with something easy as Jeweller or Tailor. I jumped headon to Armorsmith and that took a lot of time to complete. That hardened leather is pretty... hard.. to find.But I learned a lot and next thing was Artificer.

My point is, I think we all should find out how we like to play the game. Do things the way we like it, find our own fun and let some things take the time it needs.This is something I learned that the game Guild Wars 2 supports and as we all know, it's not about reaching the end. It's about your journey there, how you got there.Have fun, enjoy the game and it's okay to climb the highest top sometimes and just relish the beautiful environment. The glider is a great tool that will help you do that, the Vista is another.

The maps from Heart of Thorns are dangerous and horrible, at the same time it's a beautiful and magical place.

The mini raptors in HOT were fairly easy for me to deal with as a staff elementalist in pure berserker gear. I just put up an arcane shield, then run in and aggro them all and fire off a meteor storm. Clears them fast. For bigger individual critters, I go scepter/warhorn and just DOT them to death while dodging. These tactics of mine are probably not even the most efficient way of killing stuff in those areas. There are certainly far more experienced elementalists out there who have got even more efficient ways of taking stuff down.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@"HATORI HANZO.9562" said:Is there a "concise" guide on how to use Discord effectively....I find it a headache and I am not sure if I am using it correctly. I have gotten the initial notice from guilds..."join us at blah blah blah on discord but I don't seem to be able to remember or recreate those designations when I have discord open.

U can ignore discord for 99% GW2 stuff, even in WvW. specially if u are good to follow instructions.

Theres some niches theres a "die hard" players that wants everything perfect and try enforce discord.if u are in only pve u almost dont need it.

for WvW is useful if u aim professional zerg play, but u can live without it too.

Besides Microsoft is after Discord and is attempting to buy it. Say goodbye to it, people will find something else to use, just like when Skype sold out.