Too long, too tough, too risky

Got to fight spellcaster on 100. This what happened.We got her to phrases quicker. Good.(1st Attempt) But we fail to beat her at first try.(2nd Attempt) Whole group get struck by lighting and wiped.(3rd Attempt) Same thing happened and the chat is that this is bugged when you fail more then twice. Redoing will result in the same.Appears in the lighting phrase we got all orbs, spellcaster remains in water shield. All 5 were wiped by lightings....

Outside the arena some left some talking about how bugged this thing is.But considering how much time is spend on this frac stage, only limited time is remaining to try other fracs.I am absolutely not looking forward to next spellcaster 100 fight. Enough for me.

@medivh.4725 said:Got to fight spellcaster on 100. This what happened.We got her to phrases quicker. Good.(1st Attempt) But we fail to beat her at first try.(2nd Attempt) Whole group get struck by lighting and wiped.(3rd Attempt) Same thing happened and the chat is that this is bugged when you fail more then twice. Redoing will result in the same.Appears in the lighting phrase we got all orbs, spellcaster remains in water shield. All 5 were wiped by lightings....

Outside the arena some left some talking about how bugged this thing is.But considering how much time is spend on this frac stage, only limited time is remaining to try other fracs.I am absolutely not looking forward to next spellcaster 100 fight. Enough for me.

Why arent you doing lower tiers until you can deal with the mechanics? The bug is annoying but should not be an issue in a t4 group.

@medivh.4725 said:Got to fight spellcaster on 100. This what happened.We got her to phrases quicker. Good.(1st Attempt) But we fail to beat her at first try.(2nd Attempt) Whole group get struck by lighting and wiped.(3rd Attempt) Same thing happened and the chat is that this is bugged when you fail more then twice. Redoing will result in the same.Appears in the lighting phrase we got all orbs, spellcaster remains in water shield. All 5 were wiped by lightings....

HB and Heal Tempest can hard carry through damage really well. I know people here will barf, but my biggest easy mode moments with Sunqua has been with this magic combo + DPS. The heal tempest, if it goes earth & water spec can maintain 100% protection uptime and has mean raw heal throughput. The HB has really hard damage counters through Aegis & active mitigation + it's extra heals. It's important to break that bar every time you can. Heal tempest can also have mean CC breakbar, the earth shout applies 2 debuffs that are pretty strong bar drain, dagger 3 in water is a little breakbar drain, warhorn 4 on water attunement is strong CC. Dagger 3 (second phase/ability) is good CC in lighting, also the water shout is CC too, not as strong as the others and I like to spam it for the constant regen.

@Nephalem.8921 said:Why arent you doing lower tiers until you can deal with the mechanics? The bug is annoying but should not be an issue in a t4 group.

I feel we have decent chances beating her until that happens. After lighting orbs been grabbed isn't it time she fight us? Why is she in a protection mode and what more any of us has to do to get her out? There no more orbs to grab. We all have AR of 150 or there abouts. (How many AR do you reckon we need for t4 spellcaster?)My teammates suggest it is a bug, it doens't come from me. Personally I beat t4 spellcaster numerous occasions. Yes I do get bugged out during those fights. Something like I just descripted .Unless you meant to tell me the game design is to keep spellcaster encased water barrier and aoe the whole arena with lighting bolts, I don't seehow players optimization around gona get us pass it? Also how is the aoes getting all 5 players? So either we all didn't know the mechanics again or there just isn't place to run to and avoid the wipeout.

This is a MMO and while players can improve, drop a tier, skip certain boss. Bug is a thing for anet to fix and rectify.

@medivh.4725 said:

@"Nephalem.8921" said:Why arent you doing lower tiers until you can deal with the mechanics? The bug is annoying but should not be an issue in a t4 group.

I feel we have decent chances beating her until that happens. After lighting orbs been grabbed isn't it time she fight us? Why is she in a protection mode and what more any of us has to do to get her out? There no more orbs to grab. We all have AR of 150 or there abouts. (How many AR do you reckon we need for t4 spellcaster?)My teammates suggest
it is a bug
, it doens't come from me. Personally I beat t4 spellcaster numerous occasions. Yes I do get bugged out during those fights. Something like I just descripted .Unless you meant to tell me the game design is to keep spellcaster encased water barrier and aoe the whole arena with lighting bolts, I don't seehow players optimization around gona get us pass it? Also how is the aoes getting all 5 players? So either we all didn't know the mechanics again or there just isn't place to run to and avoid the wipeout.

This is a MMO and while players can improve, drop a tier, skip certain boss. Bug is a thing for anet to fix and rectify.

It is a bug that triggers when you wipe in water phase. The way to complete the fractal in bugged state is to dps the boss to 66% before she goes up. Some dungeon bugs still exist so they might not fix this ever.Any experienced t4 group can do that. Just view it as a dps check. Would even argue that there should be some to act as a build blocker at the end of a tier like other mmos use them as gearcheck. Would reduce the "hp sponge" complaints. You even admitted requiring 18min which is a lot slower than a good solo player.

@"Nephalem.8921" said:It is a bug that triggers when you wipe in water phase. The way to complete the fractal in bugged state is to dps the boss to 66% before she goes up. Some dungeon bugs still exist so they might not fix this ever.Any experienced t4 group can do that. Just view it as a dps check. Would even argue that there should be some to act as a build blocker at the end of a tier like other mmos use them as gearcheck. Would reduce the "hp sponge" complaints. You even admitted requiring 18min which is a lot slower than a good solo player.

Could be mistaken with multiple attempts on spellcaster. It is the design messing things up. No real problems with the other t4 fractals.

The difficulties this fractal has are:

Too much movement required, with no movement ability, if we had a movement SAK it would be ok.CC bars are huge (but doable, if you commit hard to it)Hitboxes for laser show in the dark phase CM are unreliable (with frailty these 1 shot most meta builds, which is fine if they are well telegraphed)Boss mechanics change seemingly at random, phases merge and become unpredictable depending on group dps.

@brogue.4926 said:The difficulties this fractal has are:

Too much movement required, with no movement ability, if we had a movement SAK it would be ok.CC bars are huge (but doable, if you commit hard to it)Hitboxes for laser show in the dark phase CM are unreliable (with frailty these 1 shot most meta builds, which is fine if they are well telegraphed)Boss mechanics change seemingly at random, phases merge and become unpredictable depending on group dps.

Add that the laser show itself is a difficulty. It is physically painful for me to play the second part of the CM fight.

I remember the old days when playing al the tiers of fractals needed at most 1,5 hour with an average PUG. Less with an experienced PUG. Yes, the days when the teams rolled again and again the dices to obtain the Swamp as a first fractal from the 3 needed for one tier.

Then, ANet introduced the current variant with the intention to "shorten the time needed for doing fractals ... and to change that tedious work into an enjoyable experience". Or something like that. You can search for Collin's statements.

What is the actual result? Some teams can have more than 1 hour of "enjoyable experience" for only ONE fractal. BLEAH !

ANet did not learn from the raid experiment? It seems not.

@"Cristalyan.5728" said:I remember the old days when playing al the tiers of fractals needed at most 1,5 hour with an average PUG. Less with an experienced PUG. Yes, the days when the teams rolled again and again the dices to obtain the Swamp as a first fractal from the 3 needed for one tier.

Then, ANet introduced the current variant with the intention to "shorten the time needed for doing fractals ... and to change that tedious work into an enjoyable experience". Or something like that. You can search for Collin's statements.

What is the actual result? Some teams can have more than 1 hour of "enjoyable experience" for only ONE fractal. BLEAH !

ANet did not learn from the raid experiment? It seems not.Then go down a tier or 2 until your at the level were it wont take more then an 1,5 hours to complete your dailies.if you take 90 minutes to do tier 1 with average pug I will eat my boots.

Here is a tip that might help you. Make yourself a firebrand. Condi firebrand or a heal firebrand, doesn't matter, both are very good in all fractals and are beginner friendly. In no CM groups where people are inexperienced cfb is even stronger.Now when you see that sunqua peak is a daily and you wanna do it, don't join any lfg and make one yourself with a title like this: "T4s | 3 cfbs, hfb, alac" (well you will be one of the cfbs or the healer). If people ask to join as dps without cfb just deny them politely and wait till condi firebrands show up. You won't be needing a warrior either, it is pain to get a cfb that will play warrior after Sunqua, even in CM groups. This way the Sunqua peak along with some other fractals will become a piece of cake. The aegis spam and tomes from firebrands carry beginner groups pretty well in fractals.

I only know this up to T2. Does not seem too much harder/longer than some of the other lengthier fractals - if you know what do do. Sure: Nightmare is a lot shorter and more fun. But the Shattered Observatory is also pretty long. Has a bit more fun mechanics in between but a boring end boss instead.

For Sunqua the main problem is that the road to the end boss seems boring. The mini bosses are boring. The talking is annoying and delaying stuff (especially shortly before the last boss). And then there is the bug that might make the boss impossible to kill. According to some other thread it still exists. (From what I have heard if you die within the last 16 percent of the last boss. Luckily I haven't seen it recently cause there were no wipes at that stage when I played.)

On top of that ArenaNet didn't put much thought into the voting system: After finishing the fractal everyone needs to confirm to go back to the lobby. When just quitting while in the middle of the fractal it is a voting where just a majority can force others out of the fractal (having to do it over again) ... instead of leaving the party letting the others gather different players to try again.

Personally I like that boss and the mechanics a lot - lot more than bosses with tons of trash mobs. I know only up until T2 (level 50) - but te Ice Elemental in underground facility is much more annoying. Sunqua you almost can avoid all major damage (I mosty get damaged while trying to rez when waiting until it is safe might have completely killed a downed guy) and the movements are super easy to anticipate when you know that he is doing and what he might do next.

This isn't only the intrinsic time of each fractals; but globally with the waiting time + the prerequisites most of people ask.Have a condi gear with 150ar for fractals, plus learn rotation; already you reduce the amount of players. Then 2 months afters "Ah, we don"t want SB/Ren/... anymore, go cFB with grieving/sinister/viper gear or kick" you grind your teeth. It's not complex, I'm not against optimisation; but it's binding, mostly for new players with few ascended items and fractal relics.Plus the numbers of players willing to spend more time in fractals, the numbers of players on GW2 which drops a little, etc ... There are many factors that make it get longer and harder to find a group and do CM fractals. It's even worst if you want to train, you can't really skip one if you want to find groups easily thereafter.

There was a time I wanted more challenge mod, more challenging fractals.But in fact it's just annoying; not about the fractal itself, but about what surrounds it.I think a good solution would be, like the daily fractals; to set up one Daily CM wich includes 100~33% of the 3 CM rewards.

We have enough dps on her, phrasing her quickly, but in her 1-15% health bar she wiped us. This happen to other groups and quite few times.

Can the designer of this spellcaster fight explain the mechanics of the last part. Are you suppose to heal a downed team mate or let them die? Either none understood mechanics or design does not make sense. This NOT about build optimization, not about CM, people can barely get by frac 75. And rather, why is so many not getting the mechanics here. I understand the cyclone repells attack, so did these guys get themself killed by shooting at spellcaster? Get slowed and pulled into spellcaster's cyclone? Somebody mention overlapping aoe, so which is which? I just seen a completion video and no aoe thing mentioned? People are just not getting the base mechanics and is so frustrating. How do they get from T1 to T4 then?? Compiled with how long it needs to get to spellcaster arena. This frac is no longer new and taking bugs aside, I'd say it boils down to bad design and confusing mechanics.

@"medivh.4725" said:Can the designer of this spellcaster fight step up explain the mechanics of the very last part. It wiped 3 party grouping instant. Are you suppose to heal them or let them die off? Different grouping, all instant kills towards the end when Spellcaster 1-15%. Is either none understood mechanics or your design does not make any sense. Until that is cleared, how or why it can 1 shot keep wiping gang, all at once. This is NOT about build optimization, rather why is so many not getting this mechanics. Did they just get themself killed by shooting at the spellcaster? Get pulled and sucked into spellcaster's cyclone? Somebody even mention about overlapping aoe? So which is which? I just seen a completion video and no aoe thing is mentioned. People just not getting the mechanics and is so frustrating. Compiled with how long it needs to get to the spellcaster arena. Bad design.

I'm guessing you are referring to this "If not defeated, she will channel the waters again after aproximately 40 seconds the previous one (33% Phasing) ends. This attack is different to when she first phased, though, as she will still be vulnerable to damage, she will cast multiple radial AoEs and players will get slowly pulled in to the middle, which reflects projectiles, constantly deals damage and applies Agony."

Either DPS the boss down within that window to skip the phase, or group up for heals, greens and sharing tidal bargains while avoiding use of projectiles.Not sure what the issue beyond that is.

@"Asum.4960" said:I'm guessing you are referring to this "If not defeated, she will channel the waters again after aproximately 40 seconds the previous one (33% Phasing) ends. This attack is different to when she first phased, though, as she will still be vulnerable to damage, she will cast multiple radial AoEs and players will get slowly pulled in to the middle, which reflects projectiles, constantly deals damage and applies Agony."

Either DPS the boss down within that window to skip the phase, or group up for heals, greens and sharing tidal bargains while avoiding use of projectiles.

Keep encountering this phrase. Is there indicator if Aoe is applied on a player? I noticed if a player tried to heal a downed player he or she quickly gets 1 shot wiped. The youtube videos don't explain that. Also is it true a overlapping Aoe is instant kill? During this part do we stack or not to stack? :'(

@medivh.4725 said:

@"Asum.4960" said:I'm guessing you are referring to this
"If not defeated, she will channel the waters again after aproximately 40 seconds the previous one (33% Phasing) ends. This attack is different to when she first phased, though, as she will still be vulnerable to damage, she will cast multiple radial AoEs and players will get slowly pulled in to the middle, which reflects projectiles, constantly deals damage and applies Agony."

Either DPS the boss down within that window to skip the phase, or group up for heals, greens and sharing tidal bargains while avoiding use of projectiles.

Keep encountering this phrase. Is there indicator if Aoe is applied on a player? I noticed if a player tried to heal a downed player he or she quickly gets 1 shot wiped. The youtube videos don't explain that. Also is it true a overlapping Aoe is instant kill? During this part do we stack or not to stack? :'(

Sounds like the mechanic you are failing is Tidal Bargain, which needs to be shared with allies in order to prevent it reaching 10 Stacks on any one player, as other wise they take extreme amounts of damage (instant down) while also splashing damage to nearby allies, making ressing near impossible as well.

The effect is indicated with a purple raindrop icon, along with it's stacks.

@Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:And here i am just wanting to beat the CM without all the elitism

Make your own group. Without elitism sounds like offmeta everyone welcome.Tidal bargain does indeed need a better indicator on the player instead of buffbar. The problem is that you can completely ignore it in t2 while it will wipe you in t4. Dont reach 10 stacks or an aoe explosion triggern.

@medivh.4725 said:We have enough dps on her, phrasing her quickly, but in her 1-15% health bar she wiped us. This happen to other groups and quite few times.

Can the designer of this spellcaster fight explain the mechanics of the last part. Are you suppose to heal a downed team mate or let them die? Either none understood mechanics or design does not make sense. This NOT about build optimization, not about CM, people can barely get by frac 75. And rather, why is so many not getting the mechanics here. I understand the cyclone repells attack, so did these guys get themself killed by shooting at spellcaster? Get slowed and pulled into spellcaster's cyclone? Somebody mention overlapping aoe, so which is which? I just seen a completion video and no aoe thing mentioned? People are just not getting the base mechanics and is so frustrating. How do they get from T1 to T4 then?? Compiled with how long it needs to get to spellcaster arena. This frac is no longer new and taking bugs aside, I'd say it boils down to bad design and confusing mechanics.

If you have enough dps and actually phase her quickly, you skip the tornado phase because she is dead before she can use it.

If the dps is too low and she enters tornado phase there are a few possible tactics to deal with it. If she has very low hp you pretty much ignore mechanics stay close to the tornado and kill her. Otherwise the most important Mechanic apart from not using projectiles is to prevent someone to get 10stacks of the blue teather debuff, by bodyblocking it, if you get 10 stacks the person will get a lot of damage/go down and everyone close to them aswell (thats probably what wiped your group). try to avoid standing in the aoes so you dont get agony/damage. If you want to do it safely go nearly to the wall and focus on surviving the phase and stop damaging her. If you are confident in the group, and have classes who can damage her from outside the tornado without using projektiles (fbs for example) stay close to the tornado and priorize mechanics over dps.

Mechanics is worse then a raid boss. No point to phrase her quickly if people keeps dying to Tidal Bargain in the end.After some persistence where many people give up, we got the spellcaster at 100. She sends 3x Tidal Bargain waves at us. She fought so hard.. As if 1 Tidal Bargain wasn't enough. Probably wanna reduce Tidal Bargain time or affects if it's bottle necking the fight. We did get her this time, not bugged out. Man she's tough.