A necessary improvement in preparation for the Legendary Armory

We just need more ways to acquire the trinkets IMO. For example: 3 legendary amulets (1 from PvP, 1 from PvE, 1 from WvW), more accessories, more rings, etc. Make them all unique.

The PvP tournament wins just kept me from ever going hard for the amulet personally. I tried doing the tournament wins first because if I can't show off the legendary getting the 120 wins required won't even be worth it. I found that if you don't have a dedicated group its almost impossible to win the tournaments. I've tried pugging several times and I've yet to get a single win as a gold3/plat 1 player. A pug group just can't beat a well coordinated team from my experience. You just have to get lucky and hope you come across another pug team, which I haven't. I gave up after 4-5 tournaments without a single match won. I really despise the decision to require the tournament wins. I get that they want to drive players towards certain things but that's really niche.

I'm hoping the Icebrood Saga legendary is an amulet.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts run along the lines of "If there's a game mode I don't want to play, it doesn't matter what kind of carrot they put on the end of the stick, I'm not going to run it". Since it's true that I'm not going to play it, I really don't need the gear that makes it easier. It's not a "but this community or that community is bad" thing either. I don't raid anymore, anywhere, because of my migraines. All the flashy stuff is bad for them, so I don't play. As someone that's been doing raiding in MMOs since 2005, quitting a few years back was kinda sad, but needed to happen. So, if a game feels like it needs to lock certain items behind certain content, I'll just never get it, and, it just doesn't matter, since I won't need it anyway. Yes, it means that there are certain achievements, or whatever, that I won't have, but it just doesn't matter, because it's not worth it to me.

@"robertthebard.8150" said:My thoughts run along the lines of "If there's a game mode I don't want to play, it doesn't matter what kind of carrot they put on the end of the stick, I'm not going to run it". Since it's true that I'm not going to play it, I really don't need the gear that makes it easier. It's not a "but this community or that community is bad" thing either. I don't raid anymore, anywhere, because of my migraines. All the flashy stuff is bad for them, so I don't play. As someone that's been doing raiding in MMOs since 2005, quitting a few years back was kinda sad, but needed to happen. So, if a game feels like it needs to lock certain items behind certain content, I'll just never get it, and, it just doesn't matter, since I won't need it anyway. Yes, it means that there are certain achievements, or whatever, that I won't have, but it just doesn't matter, because it's not worth it to me.

Well my mental issues might be part of the problem here. I'm perfectly fine not getting them. But I have some half-baked collection items laying around from when i thought I'd raid. I don't want to throw them away because they need to be processed, but on the flip side, it's getting harder and harder to even find groups when I care. My OCD wants those out of my inventory ONE DAY. I also don't want to throw them away just in case I have a reason to complete the collections (or the gods smile on me and give me the CHoya confetti infusion which I'll be able to trade for the raids I need against the few sellers).

I would be 100% happy if I could just finish the Envoy collections and coalescence. I already have the precursor for coalescence + partially completed alembic apparatus, so there's no way around junk there, I have to complete it. But envoy? I can just buy the recipes & salvage it for globs of dark matter for other leggies.

I'll just add: the only ways of completing legendary armor being raiding, PVP and WvW is not good moving forward. As others have mentioned the latter 2 are very grindy and the first has its problems.

Also, all 3 of those game modes have seen the least dev cycles. That's really crazy to put out all this awesome content, and then expect people to ignore it with your weakest.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@"robertthebard.8150" said:My thoughts run along the lines of "If there's a game mode I don't want to play, it doesn't matter what kind of carrot they put on the end of the stick, I'm not going to run it". Since it's true that I'm not going to play it, I really don't need the gear that makes it easier. It's not a "but this community or that community is bad" thing either. I don't raid anymore, anywhere, because of my migraines. All the flashy stuff is bad for them, so I don't play. As someone that's been doing raiding in MMOs since 2005, quitting a few years back was kinda sad, but needed to happen. So, if a game feels like it needs to lock certain items behind certain content, I'll just never get it, and, it just doesn't matter, since I won't need it anyway. Yes, it means that there are certain achievements, or whatever, that I won't have, but it just doesn't matter, because it's not worth it to me.

Well my mental issues might be part of the problem here. I'm perfectly fine not getting them. But I have some half-baked collection items laying around from when i thought I'd raid. I don't want to throw them away because they need to be processed, but on the flip side, it's getting harder and harder to even find groups when I care. My OCD wants those out of my inventory ONE DAY. I also don't want to throw them away just in case I have a reason to complete the collections (or the gods smile on me and give me the CHoya confetti infusion which I'll be able to trade for the raids I need against the few sellers).

I would be 100% happy if I could just finish the Envoy collections and coalescence. I already have the precursor for coalescence + partially completed alembic apparatus, so there's no way around junk there, I have to complete it. But envoy? I can just buy the recipes & salvage it for globs of dark matter for other leggies.

I'll just add: the only ways of completing legendary armor being raiding, PVP and WvW is not good moving forward. As others have mentioned the latter 2 are very grindy and the first has its problems.

Also, all 3 of those game modes have seen the least dev cycles. That's really crazy to put out all this awesome content, and then expect people to ignore it with your weakest.

I get it, and I know people just like that. For me, and looking at it realistically, it's been like this for forever, and if they were inclined to change it, it would have happened long before now. I'm sure this topic has come up before. So I'm not being dismissive, I'm just being realistic, and stating my own view on the topic, because there's no single piece of gear in the game worth 3 or more days confined to my recliner, wishing my head would just explode and get it over with. :o

I don't see how this ties into the legendary armory specifically. Legendary gear has always been a game feature for a minority of the total playerbase. Naturally the same will be true for the legendary armory (according to what we know about it right now). If legendary items in gw2 have been fine for over 8 years even though relatively few players are pursuing them, then this suggestion certainly isn't a "necessary preparation" for the legendary armory feature.

@"Katary.7096" said:If legendary items in gw2 have been fine for over 8 years even though relatively few players are pursuing them, then this suggestion certainly isn't a "necessary preparation" for the legendary armory feature.If.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:So someone playing only dungeons should be able to obtain every single reward in the game from that? So someone playing only fractals should be able to obtain every single reward in the game from that? So someone playing only adventures/activities/beetle races should be able to obtain every single reward in the game from that? So someone doing the core Tyria world boss train should be able to obtain every single reward in the game from that? I can go on and on with this.You can, but that's not exactly what i was saying.

Basically, there should be alternatives available, so at least players can choose in which content they'd prefer to obtain them. If there are no alternatives, then the rewards in question should not require heavy grinding in that single content. And the one thing that should never be done is making a certain reward or group of rewards a major purpose of a content - if a content cannot survive without unique rewards, that content is likely not worth developing in the first place.

It is okay, though, to introduce certain rewards in order to draw players to content, but they should be buried relatively shallowly into it and not require massive investment of time. It should take just enough for the player to get acquainted with the content, but not require the player to spend massive amount of time in it past the point where they decided whether they like the content or not.

Bad approach, why? Rewards tied to specific content are there to drive players towards that content. This keeps the content more active for a longer period of time as well as get people to go and try different things.

Again, if a content cannot survive without unique rewards, it's probably not worth developing in the first place. All you need to keep longevity of a good content is good enough value of rewards. In fact, it's even better, because draw through unique rewards lasts only until said reward is obtained, but good reward value is universal, and lasts forever (and can be adjusted easily if changes to future content would make it too weak or too strong).

You see those only about specific rewards, not all rewards. Namely, you see this mostly about legendaries.Yeah, usually the threads are about a specific reward, but i've seen those about practically most if not all of the content-restricted ones. Not just legendaries - the first ones were about dungeon skins, actually. And since that time repeated a lot, until the skins appeared eventually in the pvp/wvw reward tracks.

Taking a reward tied to a game mode, reward that was a primary driver for a lot of people to play it, and make it available outside would do the opposite of what you’re claiming.Sure. But then, if a certain content popularity is mainly driven by some unique reward in it, do we really need a content like that in the first place?

You do realize that you could say that about almost every area of the game, right? Imagine if all Living Story rewards were made available outside of the Living Story episodes including masteries, mastery points, and achievement points. How many would still do the living story? Would it be enough to justify having that content in the game? If those episodes did remain, how long do you think it would be before they were abandoned?Again, see my first comment about how shallowly or deeply should unique rewards be buried. Consider which type of those approaches living story rewards you mentioned are.

While I don't think that it is needed to acquire legendaries, the PvP amulet does seem like it's in a strange place. The other legendaries seem to want you to step out of your comfort zone a tiny bit. The PvP amulet on the other hand is all like "Be aware that you may be spectated or streamed while participating." It's supposed to be an event held for the most serious PvPers and that's where you want people to go to step out of their bubble? I get the other PvP achievements, just not the tournament one.

I’ve had this discussion over and over and it’s been the same each and very time. I believe at least once, you’ve been a part of it as well. I stated my stance and that’s what I’m sticking with.

I do want to address one thing though:

@Astralporing.1957 said:Again, if a content cannot survive without unique rewards, it's probably not worth developing in the first place. All you need to keep longevity of a good content is good enough value of rewards. In fact, it's even better, because draw through unique rewards lasts only until said reward is obtained, but good reward value is universal, and lasts forever (and can be adjusted easily if changes to future content would make it too weak or too strong).

Take what you just said and look at every map in the game. How many of them should have not been created in the first place based on what you just said?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I’ve had this discussion over and over and it’s been the same each and very time. I believe at least once, you’ve been a part of it as well. I stated my stance and that’s what I’m sticking with.

@Astralporing.1957 said:Again, if a content cannot survive without unique rewards, it's probably not worth developing in the first place. All you need to keep longevity of a good content is good enough
value
of rewards. In fact, it's even better, because draw through unique rewards lasts only until said reward is obtained, but good reward value is universal, and lasts forever (and can be adjusted easily if changes to future content would make it too weak or too strong).

Take what you just said and look at every map in the game. How many of them should have not been created in the first place based on what you just said?Good example - the maps do show very well how what i said is completely true.

Maps generally depend on whether there's something worthwile on them to do, but that worth is not counted by uniqueness of rewards. In fact, the rewards that can be obtained repeatedly and turned into value work way better for achieving longevity of content.

Maps that need to be farmed for something unique, but do not have any repeated rewards of value to offer beyond that end up dead very fast, while those whose metas are rewarding retain their longevity, regardless of whether they offer anything unique or not.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I’ve had this discussion over and over and it’s been the same each and very time. I believe at least once, you’ve been a part of it as well. I stated my stance and that’s what I’m sticking with.

@Astralporing.1957 said:Again, if a content cannot survive without unique rewards, it's probably not worth developing in the first place. All you need to keep longevity of a good content is good enough
value
of rewards. In fact, it's even better, because draw through unique rewards lasts only until said reward is obtained, but good reward value is universal, and lasts forever (and can be adjusted easily if changes to future content would make it too weak or too strong).

Take what you just said and look at every map in the game. How many of them should have not been created in the first place based on what you just said?Good example - the maps do show very well how what i said is completely true.

Maps generally depend on whether there's something worthwile on them to do, but that worth is not counted by uniqueness of rewards. In fact, the rewards that can be obtained repeatedly and turned into value work way better for achieving longevity of content.

Maps that need to be farmed for something unique, but do not have any repeated rewards of value to offer beyond that end up dead very fast, while those whose metas are rewarding retain their longevity, regardless of whether they offer anything unique or not.

The problem being, of course, that all of this content is just like a map. It exists for the ones that are going to love it, and to provide access to rewards that can't be gotten anywhere else. I've gotten the "Been there, done that" title, but I only did it once, because there's no real reason to do it again. It's not like I need it to level up, since that's easily done w/out 100%ing the core maps. I don't need Legendary gear, because I'm not doing anything, and have no plans to do anything, that requires it. So why do I need an alternative method to achieve it?

@"robertthebard.8150" said:The problem being, of course, that all of this content is just like a map. It exists for the ones that are going to love it, and to provide access to rewards that can't be gotten anywhere else. I've gotten the "Been there, done that" title, but I only did it once, because there's no real reason to do it again. It's not like I need it to level up, since that's easily done w/out 100%ing the core maps. I don't need Legendary gear, because I'm not doing anything, and have no plans to do anything, that requires it. So why do I need an alternative method to achieve it?Why do you think people were going for Legendaries before Raids were introduced? I can tell you that for the most part it wasn't for WvW.

Legendary armor for example was never meant to be just a nice reward for those that liked raid content. It was always meant to be a major draw for players to bring them to raids, whether they like the content or not. Same with the legendary items in SPvP - those are not something that SPvP players need, seeing as the stat system in this mode is completely different and legendary stat switching feature (or ascended-tier stat level) simply do not matter there. They are there to draw PvE players into PvP.

It was never about "need". Almost nothing in this game is, actually. It was always around "want".

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"robertthebard.8150" said:The problem being, of course, that all of this content is just like a map. It exists for the ones that are going to love it, and to provide access to rewards that can't be gotten anywhere else. I've gotten the "Been there, done that" title, but I only did it once, because there's no real reason to do it again. It's not like I need it to level up, since that's easily done w/out 100%ing the core maps. I don't need Legendary gear, because I'm not doing anything, and have no plans to do anything, that requires it. So why do I need an alternative method to achieve it?Why do you think people were going for Legendaries before Raids were introduced? I can tell you that for the most part it
wasn't
for WvW.

Legendary armor for example was never meant to be just a nice reward for those that liked raid content. It was always meant to be a major draw for players to bring them to raids, whether they like the content or not. Same with the legendary items in SPvP - those are not something that SPvP players need, seeing as the stat system in this mode is completely different and legendary stat switching feature (or ascended-tier stat level) simply do not matter there. They are there to draw
PvE
players into PvP.

It was never about "need". Almost nothing in this game is, actually. It was
always
around "want".

Who are the players most likely to raid? Those that like it. I did it for years, because I liked it. I had to quit because of my migraines, so I'm not inclined to do it any more, and I certainly don't need gear to make not doing it easier. But people that don't like it, they're not going to play it just because of rewards. You can't force them to play it, and there's no need to change how the gear is handled.

@robertthebard.8150 said:Who are the players most likely to raid? Those that like it. I did it for years, because I liked it. I had to quit because of my migraines, so I'm not inclined to do it any more, and I certainly don't need gear to make not doing it easier. But people that don't like it, they're not going to play it just because of rewards. You can't force them to play it, and there's no need to change how the gear is handled.Well, i did raids solely for the legendary armor (as i do not like this kind of HC content, i prefer far more casual playstyle), and i know a number of people that did the same. So, do remember that what you think is not necessarily how other people think as well.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@robertthebard.8150 said:Who are the players most likely to raid? Those that like it. I did it for years, because I liked it. I had to quit because of my migraines, so I'm not inclined to do it any more, and I certainly don't need gear to make not doing it easier. But people that don't like it, they're not going to play it just because of rewards. You can't force them to play it, and there's no need to change how the gear is handled.Well, i did raids solely for the legendary armor (as i do
not
like this kind of HC content, i prefer far more casual playstyle), and i know a number of people that did the same. So, do remember that what you think is not necessarily how other people think as well.

That's solid advice. I know lots of people that won't set foot in raids, even in guild groups, back when I was guilded here, and across 15 years of playing other MMOs with similar reward structures. Just because there are people that will doesn't mean it's what everyone thinks, and, just because some people that won't think they need an alternative method to gear up doesn't mean others do. I very obviously don't.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:But... It's not like open world doesn't have its own legendaries (Vision, Aurora), so since the point is thatI think you also forgot the 37 openworld legendary weapons :) ? there is none in pvp/wvw/raids/fractals

If you're talking weapons, that's not 100% accurate: I think you could only claim that Gen1 are actually "open world" Gen 2 require stabilized dark energy balls, which require matrices from fractals (in the very least). Also, the first 4 Gen2 legendaries also require particular fractals.

Maybe 2.5 gen are not openworld but 2.0gen are 100% openworld, they are composed like gen1 of 3-4 long collection with only openworld stuffs in it.Really.... how are you getting your Gift of Battle in Open World?What about all the fractals?

One can, albeit slowly, acquire Gift of Battle while never setting foot in WvW.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@robertthebard.8150 said:Who are the players most likely to raid? Those that like it. I did it for years, because I liked it. I had to quit because of my migraines, so I'm not inclined to do it any more, and I certainly don't need gear to make not doing it easier. But people that don't like it, they're not going to play it just because of rewards. You can't force them to play it, and there's no need to change how the gear is handled.Well, i did raids solely for the legendary armor (as i do
not
like this kind of HC content, i prefer far more casual playstyle), and i know a number of people that did the same. So, do remember that what you think is not necessarily how other people think as well.

So it worked on you, I guess mission accomplised?

@Linken.6345 said:So it worked on you, I guess mission accomplised?Did it? I'm not raiding anymore - i dropped those as soon as i obtained what i wanted. I don't play GW2 as much as before either, and those two things are very much connected.So, perhaps it was a shortterm gain for raids, but was it really a gain for the game? Either short or longterm? How exactly did the game profit from me playing in a content i disliked over one i liked, to the point of burnout? Because i don't really see it.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:So it worked on you, I guess mission accomplised?Did it? I'm not raiding anymore - i dropped those as soon as i obtained what i wanted. I don't play GW2 as much as before either, and those two things are very much connected.So, perhaps it was a shortterm gain for raids, but was it really a gain for the game? Either short or longterm? How exactly did the game profit from me playing in a content i disliked over one i liked, to the point of burnout? Because i don't really see it.

It didn't, and it won't. Not all content is for everyone, but they have to try to push it because one never knows. I legit didn't think I'd like raiding, but surprise, I not only liked raiding, but loved to tank. I did it for BiS gear, and after I got hooked, I needed it, because I was going to keep doing it. Now? I don't do it any more, and I don't need the gear, and I don't believe an alternate path to that gear is "necessary".

@WindBlade.8749 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:But... It's not like open world doesn't have its own legendaries (Vision, Aurora), so since the point is thatI think you also forgot the 37 openworld legendary weapons :) ? there is none in pvp/wvw/raids/fractals

Are you sure? I invite you to craft a legendary from scratch. You will need fractals - that means you have 37 Fractals Legendary weapons. You will need WvW - that means you already have 37 WvW Legendary weapons. Why do you need a Legendary weapan for PvP - there you use a predefined set of weapons" You cannot use your own. The Legendary armor for PvP was to close the mouth of the players complaining about .... the monstrous grind for skirmish tickets for WvW - "you have PvP if you don't like WvW".

I have no objection regarding a set of legendary weapon for Raid. Except that: You can craft it once. And the drop rate for Precursors should be as in Open World. And the dropped precursors should be tradable. And if the number of tokens is high enough to need 30 weeks of complete clear of all the wings .... then I think this is a good idea.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

Are you sure? I invite you to craft a legendary from scratch. You will need fractals - that means you have 37 Fractals Legendary weapons. You will need WvW - that means you already have 37 WvW Legendary weapons. Why do you need a Legendary weapan for PvP - there you use a predefined set of weapons" You cannot use your own. The Legendary armor for PvP was to close the mouth of the players complaining about .... the monstrous grind for skirmish tickets for WvW - "you have PvP if you don't like WvW".

I have no objection regarding a set of legendary weapon for Raid. Except that: You can craft it once. And the drop rate for Precursors should be as in Open World. And the dropped precursors should be tradable. And if the number of tokens is high enough to need 30 weeks of complete clear of all the wings .... then I think this is a good idea.

So then pve legendary armor will need to have 15= 5 core, 5 hot, 5 pof gift of exploration for each part for a total of 90 per full set then?

@"robertthebard.8150" said:It didn't, and it won't. Not all content is for everyone, but they have to try to push it because one never knows. I legit didn't think I'd like raiding, but surprise, I not only liked raiding, but loved to tank. I did it for BiS gear, and after I got hooked, I needed it, because I was going to keep doing it. Now? I don't do it any more, and I don't need the gear, and I don't believe an alternate path to that gear is "necessary".For that it's enough to put the content-locked rewards shallowly. 750 LIs (and 150 LDs for ring) is way too much just to check whether someone likes raids or not. For that, even just the first tier of legendary armor collection achievement alone would have been more than sufficient.I knew i didn't like raids and would never "learn" to like them long before i finished the legendary set. Pushing me past that point accomplished exactly nothing positive. It only soured my whole game experience.

Also, you may not see a problem, because you both liked raids, and don't seem to be interested in legendary armor at all. In other words, the issue never affected you personally. That does not mean it did not affect others.

@Linken.6345 said:

So then pve legendary armor will need to have 15= 5 core, 5 hot, 5 pof gift of exploration for each part for a total of 90 per full set then?

I think one for each piece is already too much. I consider the gift of exploration not necessary here. Because we already have to spent a gift of Battle in the weapons. This can be a good compensation. But, if this is not possible, then I think 1 is OK. Because we want an Open world armor . It is not related to any of the expansions.

AAA - your suggestion is to have 3 sets of armors for Open World? One for Core / one for Hot / one for Pof? As we have the weapons for Hot? I agree with your suggestion.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"robertthebard.8150" said:It didn't, and it won't. Not all content is for everyone, but they have to try to push it because one never knows. I legit didn't think I'd like raiding, but surprise, I not only liked raiding, but loved to tank. I did it for BiS gear, and after I got hooked, I needed it, because I was going to keep doing it. Now? I don't do it any more, and I don't need the gear, and I don't believe an alternate path to that gear is "necessary".For that it's enough to put the content-locked rewards shallowly. 750 LIs (and 150 LDs for ring) is way too much just to check whether someone likes raids or not. For that, even just the first tier of legendary armor collection achievement alone would have been more than sufficient.I knew i didn't like raids and would never "learn" to like them long before i finished the legendary set. Pushing me past that point accomplished exactly nothing positive. It only soured my whole game experience.

Also, you may not see a problem, because you both liked raids, and don't seem to be interested in legendary armor at all. In other words, the issue never affected you personally. That does not mean it did not affect others.

More accurately, if the situation arose where I decided I wanted to go all out for BiS gear, I'd do what had to be done to get it. You see, claiming that alternate paths are necessary, the topic of the thread, is what I object to. It's not. Some people, maybe quite a few, want it, but that doesn't equate to necessary.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

I think one for each piece is already too much. I consider the gift of exploration not necessary here. Because we already have to spent a gift of Battle in the weapons. This can be a good compensation. But, if this is not possible, then I think 1 is OK. Because we want an Open world armor . It is not related to any of the expansions.

AAA - your suggestion is to have 3 sets of armors for Open World? One for Core / one for Hot / one for Pof? As we have the weapons for Hot? I agree with your suggestion.

No my suggestion was for 5 of each world exploration per piece the 4th item could be 5 world completes of cantha ( making it a true open world legendary armor) that is still not close to the same as full clearing all wings 30 weeks per weapon tho as your idea for raid legendaries.