Tankers in WvW: sadly they rule the game and sabotage my fun in WvW

manu.7539

@"kamikharzeeh.8016" said:yeah, thinking ppt score "win" is winning is like beeing a jogger who joggs past some picknicking people in a park and shouts "slackers!" on them, and runs past some other ppl walking in the park, leave the park before them, and celebrates himself as if he won a marathon now..

True, but then those not heavily into roleplaying realise the "fights" aren't much different.

@manu.7539 said:

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:@Hackuuna.4085 he did even admit yet it's not fun for him. he'll just quit in some months. my brain seriously hurts reading these posts, while they have some comedy in it. if ever ppt starts to become the most important thing of Wvw, it will really die. but that day hasn't come yet.

I never admit what? That PTT isnt fun? Its cute how you think u know whats in others minds while being so wrong. And if ur head hurts only for reading these kind of post then I understand that including some sort of strategy in a game isnt for you.

if ppt were fun for so many, why don't they make a squad and ppt? Including you?

@UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

@manu.7539 said:I'm a nomal person and like many others I play a competitive game with the hope to win. There is no other sane way to play a game in team than doing your best. Sadly some players are ruining my team anytime we have a chance to reach T1 (and even T2 sometimes). We actually have a team that could win (we are actually in t1 since 2 weeks) but obviously some guilds and players are tanking. This is so frustrating for those doing their best to make a good use of that rare opportunity to win in T1. I feel like the tankers are stealing my money and hard work to reach and win T1. So yeah, guess I'm done trying to win after this week. Bored to waste tactics, time and money in an insane game ruled by losers :(

Consider this: Why care about 'winning' in a game where there is no reward for doing such? There is no reward for 1st place. You feel that it is a waste to use tactics when others don't defend ... they feel it is a waste to use tactics on a game mode that doesn't reward you for winning. I get it, I do. But it is truly not the players letting you down, but instead it is the system, the game design. Enjoy the fights, enjoy the moment.

I'm still amazed to see how many peoples play a game that they dont care about winning but care so much about rewards like if it was the Holy Grail! I dont care to lose btw, but not with a team that can win! And we did.. finally! I get it, fighting is fun but without any other purpose than only fighting its boring for me. The friendship, the collaboration, the strategy required to win is what makes this game great... when ur team play the game... sometimes it feels like playing fooball but with a part of the team playing pokemon on the field! The game design is fine as long as players play to win or do their best. I get it also if u only play to chill after work or whatever but when I see blobs tanking it doesnt feels right at all!

It is first and foremost a numbers and coverage game, not about skill, tactics, teamplay (and that's also the reason, why there are no - and should never be - rewards for winning a match). Winning fights on the other hand is something where those things do come into play and player actions matter - and therefore those wins feel more like an actual acomplishement - regardless of rewards.

Sure, but a lot of fights also are about numbers and coverage because it's not GvG where the variable of numbers is removed. When our 15-20 goes into a fight where there's a map queue, we have no illusions about "winning" because already our skill cooldowns will not be able to keep up with the larger opponent and our target caps won't allow us to hit everyone.

It's still more fun than opening up a tower or keep and burning down a lord though because it's immediate action, unpredictable, keeps us on our toes, and doesn't put the brain to sleep. It's a type of dopamine hit. Haha!

@UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

@manu.7539 said:I'm a nomal person and like many others I play a competitive game with the hope to win. There is no other sane way to play a game in team than doing your best. Sadly some players are ruining my team anytime we have a chance to reach T1 (and even T2 sometimes). We actually have a team that could win (we are actually in t1 since 2 weeks) but obviously some guilds and players are tanking. This is so frustrating for those doing their best to make a good use of that rare opportunity to win in T1. I feel like the tankers are stealing my money and hard work to reach and win T1. So yeah, guess I'm done trying to win after this week. Bored to waste tactics, time and money in an insane game ruled by losers :(

Consider this: Why care about 'winning' in a game where there is no reward for doing such? There is no reward for 1st place. You feel that it is a waste to use tactics when others don't defend ... they feel it is a waste to use tactics on a game mode that doesn't reward you for winning. I get it, I do. But it is truly not the players letting you down, but instead it is the system, the game design. Enjoy the fights, enjoy the moment.

I'm still amazed to see how many peoples play a game that they dont care about winning but care so much about rewards like if it was the Holy Grail! I dont care to lose btw, but not with a team that can win! And we did.. finally! I get it, fighting is fun but without any other purpose than only fighting its boring for me. The friendship, the collaboration, the strategy required to win is what makes this game great... when ur team play the game... sometimes it feels like playing fooball but with a part of the team playing pokemon on the field! The game design is fine as long as players play to win or do their best. I get it also if u only play to chill after work or whatever but when I see blobs tanking it doesnt feels right at all!

Winning a match is meaningless because a player basically has no control over it.

The other thing I wanted to point out is how Anet provided data one time even proving how true your statement is. A dev had posted once a bar graph of every server by their number of play hours. Predictably, the servers with the highest number of play hours were the top ranked servers.

@"manu.7539" said:The friendship, the collaboration, the strategy required to win is what makes this game great... when ur team play the game... sometimes it feels like playing fooball but with a part of the team playing pokemon on the field! The game design is fine as long as players play to win or do their best. I get it also if u only play to chill after work or whatever but when I see blobs tanking it doesnt feels right at all!

There's basically no strategy outside of fights.

Like either the golem rush works or it doesn't. That's kinda "it". Once you're in the base it's about waiting out tactivators and not getting pulled out of base.

Unless the enemy team actually has a map queue to fight you with. Which goes back to "There's basically no strategy outside of fights". Baiting bombs, portal bombing, stealthing, kiting, etc. That's where the actual "skill" and "tactics" lie. Ofc, that's also not often something that happens when flipping T3 objectives. More often than not, if you successfully flip a T3 objective, it either didn't have enough people to defend it, or the people weren't organized at all and were just clouding.

Neither of which requires strategy, tactics, or skill to deal with.

You basically just require enough scrappers and firebrands to keep your squad alive, and that's all really.

Which is really the issue at hand here. Your "strategy" to win is just abusing numbers during the days when almost no one plays (I.E. not the weekend).

Hit a map, if things get too hot, swap to a different map and hit that instead. Rinse and repeat. If the enemy doesn't have a map queue doing the same, then there's no real way to defend against you.

This is where the hilarious part of this entire post comes in. The people you were calling "throwers" were the people running pug groups chasing after organized groups for bags.

"You're fighting around a meaningless objective". If they weren't fighting there, then the enemy would just be fighting elsewhere.

@TheOneWhoSighs.7513 said:

@manu.7539 said:The friendship, the collaboration, the strategy required to win is what makes this game great... when ur team play the game... sometimes it feels like playing fooball but with a part of the team playing pokemon on the field! The game design is fine as long as players play to win or do their best. I get it also if u only play to chill after work or whatever but when I see blobs tanking it doesnt feels right at all!

Lol, I assume you dont understand what ppt is all about then, and dont forget that u fight while ppting! Yeah sometimes objectives arent defended but the toughest and most satisfying fights are on the enemy garrisons or keeps, when u win these fights then u can claim to be a fighting guild! So many are building siege in camps just to farm bags then claim to be fighting guilds, that makes me laugh, so cute!

@manu.7539 said:

@manu.7539 said:The friendship, the collaboration, the strategy required to win is what makes this game great... when ur team play the game... sometimes it feels like playing fooball but with a part of the team playing pokemon on the field! The game design is fine as long as players play to win or do their best. I get it also if u only play to chill after work or whatever but when I see blobs tanking it doesnt feels right at all!

Lol, I assume you dont understand what ppt is all about then, and dont forget that u fight while ppting! Yeah sometimes objectives arent defended but the toughest and most satisfying fights are on the enemy garrisons or keeps, when u win these fights then u can claim to be a fighting guild! So many are building siege in camps just to farm bags then claim to be fighting guilds, that makes me laugh, so cute!

I literally explained the entire game you play. Maybe try responding to more than one sentence.

Hop around maps enough until the organized enemy commanders either can't respond due to queues or won't respond because they're bored of you and figure you'll die to the NPCs. Congrats, you won! You won the game of avoiding the enemy as much as possible and feeding them bags on the rare occasion you actually tried to fight them. Woo hoo!

I'm sure those completely unorganized pugs really put up a tough fight.

I literally explained the entire game you play. Maybe try responding to more than one sentence.

Hop around maps enough until the organized enemy commanders either can't respond due to queues or won't respond because they're bored of you and figure you'll die to the NPCs. Congrats, you won! You won the game of avoiding the enemy as much as possible and feeding them bags on the rare occasion you actually tried to fight them. Woo hoo!

I didnt answered to all ur comments because its not worthy, you keep saying stuff that only exist in ur imagination!

@manu.7539 said:

I didnt answered to all ur comments because its not worthy, you keep saying stuff that only exist in ur imagination!

Yeah, I just imagined all those guild groups constantly hopping servers. I just imagined HoD guilds getting wiped by a group of RUSH players half their size, twice, only to hop maps and bait the RUSH players into chasing them there so that pugs can flip a now defenseless keep.

My eyes clearly lie to me, especially when the leader of said group speaks in chat and says they're doing exactly that.

You guys don't take fights. You run from them and hope the enemy either can't/doesn't want to chase you, so you can flip their stuff. Or that they do and you can distract them long enough for a small pug group to flip an objective they were previously protecting.

That's the "strategy" to PPT'ing. Those are the "fights" you're talking about.

It's all a numbers game. Congrats on having the bigger numbers for a while.

Yeah, I just imagined all those guild groups constantly hopping servers. I just imagined HoD guilds getting wiped by a group of RUSH players half their size, twice, only to hop maps and bait the RUSH players into chasing them there so that pugs can flip a now defenseless keep.

My eyes clearly lie to me, especially when the leader of said group speaks in chat and says they're doing exactly that.

You guys don't take fights. You run from them and hope the enemy either can't/doesn't want to chase you, so you can flip their stuff. Or that they do and you can distract them long enough for a small pug group to flip an objective they were previously protecting.

That's the "strategy" to PPT'ing. Those are the "fights" you're talking about.

It's all a numbers game. Congrats on having the bigger numbers for a while.

Maybe u talk about a guild called S..L (will not name it fully). I saw them "gvging" vs RUSH, that S..L guild wasnt good at all! Damn they were annoying tankers claiming to be a fight guild but they werent good at fighting even vs smaller groups! Worst guild ever I played with, zero collaboration, zero content and zero skills! Not saying that RUSH isnt good btw! Not saying that HoD is the best fighting server also but clearly we're getting better since we do our best to reach T1.

If it was S..L leader who said it then he was trolling coz obviously he didnt care about ppt!

Let's review... Anet changed scoring bc it favored numbers and coverage a little too much and was considered unfair. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Let-s-Talk-Scoring/page/1

"In conjunction with population rebalancing, updating Scoring allows us to decide a winner of a match more fairly, and thus reward players more fairlyCurrently we can’t give out worthwhile rewards for winning, as most match-ups are already decided before they begin"

"While the above change takes steps to bring the value of off-hours coverage in-line, there’s a good chance it’ll still be overvalued"

They never implemented the action level victory point multiplier or last stand mechanic unfortunately. The changes ultimately only lessened the impact of winning by numbers and coverage.

@"Chaba.5410" said:Let's review... Anet changed scoring bc it favored numbers and coverage a little too much and was considered unfair. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Let-s-Talk-Scoring/page/1

"In conjunction with population rebalancing, updating Scoring allows us to decide a winner of a match more fairly, and thus reward players more fairlyCurrently we can’t give out worthwhile rewards for winning, as most match-ups are already decided before they begin"

"While the above change takes steps to bring the value of off-hours coverage in-line, there’s a good chance it’ll still be overvalued"

They never implemented the action level victory point multiplier or last stand mechanic unfortunately. The changes ultimately only lessened the impact of winning by numbers and coverage.

Numbers and coverage dont always assure a server to win. With strategies like diversions and collaboration between pugs and guilds u can win vs a server with better coverage, we just did.

About half of our blobs we're tanking, we were rolled on every nights and still, we did stand our ground in T1 until we had a chance to win. Last week wasnt easy for tankers thats why we won. The weakest server wasnt that weak so they were not able to send them in 3rd place at every skirmish so SoS were 3rd more often and that was good enough to win! :p

@manu.7539 said:

@manu.7539 said:WE MADE IT !!! AT THE VERY LAST DAY OF OUR LINK WE WON T1 !!! ASCALONS IS OURS !!! B)

So what reward didya get?

Rewards? Who cares about rewards? I got everything I need a long time ago! Bags u can get them everyday, winning is the real challenge.. but its not for losers!

Is it a challenge though? I did absolutely nothing in terms of PPT that week and I still won T1 as much as you did. A single person has very little control over it, there are no rewards, therefore there is no point in stressing over it.

@manu.7539 said:

@"Chaba.5410" said:Let's review... Anet changed scoring bc it favored numbers and coverage a little too much and was considered unfair.

Numbers and coverage dont always assure a server to win. With strategies like diversions and collaboration between pugs and guilds u can win vs a server with better coverage, we just did.

About half of our blobs we're tanking, we were rolled on every nights and still, we did stand our ground in T1 until we had a chance to win. Last week wasnt easy for tankers thats why we won. The weakest server wasnt that weak so they were not able to send them in 3rd place at every skirmish so SoS were 3rd more often and that was good enough to win! :p

Yes they always assure a server to win. The scoring system is still set up to favor it even if there are no longer blow-outs. You just said that SoS were in 3rd more often and that's exactly due to numbers and coverage. Don't delude yourself.

Additionally, you said yourself about fights at objectives while PPTing. If you're tying up another server's main/only force with a big fight at a single objective while you have another group "diverting" and "collaborating" that's numbers.

@SWI.4127 said:

@manu.7539 said:WE MADE IT !!! AT THE VERY LAST DAY OF OUR LINK WE WON T1 !!! ASCALONS IS OURS !!! B)

Rewards? Who cares about rewards? I got everything I need a long time ago! Bags u can get them everyday, winning is the real challenge.. but its not for losers!

Is it a challenge though? I did absolutely nothing in terms of PPT that week and I still won T1 as much as you did. A single person has very little control over it, there are no rewards, therefore there is no point in stressing over it.

Maybe u won just as me but ur not one of those who can say with pride and joy "WE MADE IT!!!" :pIf u cant endure the stress of a competitive game then dont play it!

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:Let's review... Anet changed scoring bc it favored numbers and coverage a little too much and was considered unfair.

Yes they always assure a server to win. The scoring system is still set up to favor it even if there are no longer blow-outs. You just said that SoS were in 3rd more often and that's exactly due to numbers and coverage. Don't delude yourself.

Additionally, you said yourself about fights at objectives while PPTing. If you're tying up another server's main/only force with a big fight at a single objective while you have another group "diverting" and "collaborating" that's numbers.

Lol, dont delude yourself, we didnt have numbers and coverage but keep on convince urself. Having numbers when so many are tanking isnt having numbers, its having a 3rd enemy!

@manu.7539 said:

@SWI.4127 said:

Maybe u won just as me but ur not one of those who can say with pride and joy "WE MADE IT!!!" :pIf u cant endure the stress of a competitive game then dont play it!

Nah I'm a winner, I won T1. TOP OF THE GAME WOO. What a rush!!

@"Chaba.5410" said:Additionally, you said yourself about fights at objectives while PPTing. If you're tying up another server's main/only force with a big fight at a single objective while you have another group "diverting" and "collaborating" that's numbers.Not really what we see in practice unless you want to argue that a 10 man guild won on numbers when they took T3 DBL garrison while EB had a 30 man queue and no one bothered responding.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Chaba.5410" said:Additionally, you said yourself about fights at objectives while PPTing. If you're tying up another server's main/only force with a big fight at a single objective while you have another group "diverting" and "collaborating" that's numbers.Not really what we see in practice unless you want to argue that a 10 man guild won on numbers when they took T3 DBL garrison while EB had a 30 man queue and no one bothered responding.

I have no clue why the Desert BL is still a thing.

There's never a time when a pug thinks to themselves "You know, I'm on EBG. But they're attacking DBL! I should hop!".

Alpine Bay? Oh yeah, pugs will hop to defend that every day of the week. DBL Garri? Good luck.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Servers with more numbers have players who aren't tied up as much. It's a simple concept.

Just because a server has a queue on EBG doesn't mean that those people are not busy fighting other fights and can respond to the 10 man guild in Desert BL, especially if we're talking about "diverting" and "collaborating; like one group is hitting the EBG keep while the other group is hitting garrison and maybe another is hitting an upgrading keep on another bl. Maybe if there were queues on the other two borderland maps too you'd see numbers in Desert BL that can respond and then there's obviously no excuse for why they let 10 players take garrison. How often does that happen though?

@"Chaba.5410" said:How often does that happen though?On FSP? Every matchup we have red hbl and every day of that matchup even if both alpines are also queued, roughly.

But still, numbers isnt everything unless you want to equate "coverage" with a good distribution of commanders, small guilds and generally good players. A full border scattered across the map never equal 50 stacked players on a commander unless one side is either really, really bad or the other has really, really good roamers and clouders. They might annoy them at best but wont really cap things without better coordination. All it takes is the third side to have a few groups as well and it'll make the "biggest" sides incapable of pushing forward.

@manu.7539 said:

@SWI.4127 said:

I feel 'we made it' when we win a scrim against a good guild. Or sometimes when a server I despise goes down in flame and smoke.PPT once in a while is relaxing, but not the main thing (for me). Winning a matchup only gives the 'we made it' feeling, if we really wanted to go up a tier to face two servers that give enjoyable fights.