Bye and emblem of tournament victory

TheQuickFox.3826

I finally started playing Tournament and for two times we got a 'bye'. Wiki tells me this is a match skip to deal with an uneven amount of teams, and that it counts as win.But it seems to count as loss for the "Emblem of Tournament Victory" achieve because it is not progressing. And for the rest of the tournament of probably counts as win, giving more difficult matches to continue from, increasing the chance of more losses for lower ranked teams.

This makes it a bit hard for lower ranked teams to progress the above achievement. Is this true?

It doesn't count as "loss", it just doesn't count at all since you didn't play one.You just automatically get 1 "victory point" for the Swiss rating. So you don't technically win either.

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:(...) giving more difficult matches to continue from, increasing the chance of more losses for lower ranked teams.That's not how it works tho. Swiss is kind of a round robin system so you are not "progressing" like in an elimination system (like the old system prior to Swiss).Also you could argue that you are stripped of 1 match you could've won but I don't think that's the full truth. Because if I understand Swiss correctly (didn't look into it sry) then every round should give 1 team a "bye". With 9 teams for example you can match 8 teams with one getting a bye. So you get a bye in round 1 for example and the other 8 teams are playing. In round 2 you are shuffled back in and everything is fine then this just means that another team doesn't have a partner and gets a bye. Or am I missing something?

This makes it a bit hard for lower ranked teams to progress the above achievement. Is this true?Maybe a bit. But as long as this isn't purely random but maybe takes rating into consideration or whatever, this rather benefits you with placing higher at the end, which is more important imho. To not just give the better teams free wins on top.

As a AP hunter, doing one rep of this was the most frustrating grind in the entire game. Not only does this lock you into the game for at least an hour, but you'll end up with byes that give no progress AND the other team will forfeit (not ready up) also resulting with no progression. I've had ATs where i lost the first match, got a bye, then have the other team not ready up and tournament has ended with the 4-6th place reward chest.I understand the byes should not progress the achievement, but the forfeitures?

• 1 month later...

@"jasonorme.5014" said:Honestly, it's so frustrating that I'm probably going to give up.With match-fixing, botting, people not readying, it's not fun and broken. A massive waste of time.

It is a terrible grind as pugger and as Silver-3 player. (My skill level) However, if you really want it, it is doable.You will get around .7 or .8 wins per tournament. Put on the "Live to Win" track by Paul Stanley and be prepared for many losses and celebrate every single win.If you're lucky you can get it in a PvP guild, this will give you a somewhat better win/loss ratio.

This is my experience and I now did it twice. (Also on my second account)https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/122157/can-i-do-tournament

Maybe it's glitched sometimes it counts and sometimes it doesn't

I also have this feeling you get harder matches after a bye

And im sure you get harder matchea after you 500-0 a bot team. Matchamking sees you as a very strong team and pair you againat teams with similar match scores

You think, good free win, but in fact if you get an afk team first match you'll prolly face the two strongest teams after that