''Commander'' appellative is breaking immersion and is so bad.

Ciansuan.9120

What makes you think everyone wants to be the ''commander'' in a mmorpg? Why are you doing this? I can accept this in the story since that I can skip but now I see more and more often this title everywhere. I talk with merchants npcs: COMMANDER. I talk with random npcs that have something to say: COMMANDER. And now what makes it worse while doing open world events MESSAGES come to you like in a story instance and tell you you are THE COMMANDER AND YOU GOT TO DO SOMETHING. And I'm sorry but it's breaking the game for me, cause I like roaming the world and immersing myself in it, feeling like I'm just passing by, that the world moves around with or without me. Talking with npcs that have some lines of text etc. is what made everything nice for me, but now you are ruining this by using that simple appellative over and over, forcing it at every border. PLEASE let us CHOOSE. How do people like these ego boost the game is giving to them I never get it. Nowadays every game I see that seems cool as to be this exagerated power fantasy without balance. Like...you can enjoy yourself even without being a godly luminescent divine commander that saves everything and everyone right?? How do people are ok with this stuff?? Sorry for the rant but everyday that passes I see the beautiful art of gw (mainly the reason I'm here) used in these contexts of total laziness from other departments and It makes me sad...So, I would be happy to listen what you have to say, and what's your point of view. of course it's a matter of taste here, but still, they are tunneling us in what they choose for no reason...let the open world be free from your narrative and let it be generalised from the point of view of the in-game characters.

I wish gw2 was more like an mmorpg world. It seems to focus too much on a small cast of characters and it's all very scripted. I don't mind such stories, but I prefer to watch them on tv. I play games to engage with things and see reactions to my actions. In ESO the guards attack me on sight and most merchants insult me when I try to talk to them. It's pretty cool to play a character that way. And if it gets to be a hassle I can just pay a priest to cure me and pay a fence to remove my bounty.

There's no customizable natural voice synthesis easily usable on large scale for something like a game with countless characters.

If there was, they could just record the patterns for intonations for story and specific events, and use generic patterns for NPCs across the world, and a few voice actors could record intonations for countless NPCs in little time, and all the huge storage taken by all the audio could be reduced to just patterns from which the voices are derived.
Characters could then have sliders to customize their voices like pitch, pace and tone. and select any of the voices, even from NPCs, like how you can select NPC hairs.

Without that, they are limited to what they can record, and that means sticking to a limited set of options.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:There's no customizable natural voice synthesis easily usable on large scale for something like a game with countless characters.

If there was, they could just record the patterns for intonations for story and specific events, and use generic patterns for NPCs across the world, and a few voice actors could record intonations for countless NPCs in little time, and all the huge storage taken by all the audio could be reduced to just patterns from which the voices are derived.

Characters could then have sliders to customize their voices like pitch, pace and tone. and select any of the voices, even from NPCs, like how you can select NPC hairs.

Without that, they are limited to what they can record, and that means sticking to a limited set of options.

Ok I think there was some misunderstanding in my message so I will make an example: let's say you are in a open world map and you roam explore and find particular npcs that have line of dialogues...these npcs will have in their dialogue ''COMMANDER'' as a way of addressing you, but why? Why there is the need for that? For example...let's say you are doing meta in drizzlewood and the tribune phase is coming, why do they Have to say Commander? Can/t there just be a message that alerts you something is going on? Like you are part of the party that is doing the mission, or chooses to ignore it. It's really not that hard tbh. Or just avoid using that voiced message entirely, use a text on screen or something...and also seriously what's the deal with everything has to be voiced? I get it's a game and if you wan't to read a book you go read a book, but cmon it's cutting away all the magic of exploration and lore.Even a better example: I was doing yesterday the tengu weapons achievement..it was fun finding all the scattered pages, but then when the guy sends me a message, it addresses me as, guess what? Commander. It broke completely the rpg experience and the idea that I was just an adventurer that found these scattered pages. Hope you get what I'm trying to say here.

@"Ciansuan.9120" said:What makes you think everyone wants to be the ''commander'' in a mmorpg? Why are you doing this? I can accept this in the story since that I can skip but now I see more and more often this title everywhere. I talk with merchants npcs: COMMANDER. I talk with random npcs that have something to say: COMMANDER. And now what makes it worse while doing open world events MESSAGES come to you like in a story instance and tell you you are THE COMMANDER AND YOU GOT TO DO SOMETHING. And I'm sorry but it's breaking the game for me, cause I like roaming the world and immersing myself in it, feeling like I'm just passing by, that the world moves around with or without me. Talking with npcs that have some lines of text etc. is what made everything nice for me, but now you are ruining this by using that simple appellative over and over, forcing it at every border. PLEASE let us CHOOSE. How do people like these ego boost the game is giving to them I never get it. Nowadays every game I see that seems cool as to be this exagerated power fantasy without balance. Like...you can enjoy yourself even without being a godly luminescent divine commander that saves everything and everyone right?? How do people are ok with this stuff?? Sorry for the rant but everyday that passes I see the beautiful art of gw (mainly the reason I'm here) used in these contexts of total laziness from other departments and It makes me sad...So, I would be happy to listen what you have to say, and what's your point of view. of course it's a matter of taste here, but still, they are tunneling us in what they choose for no reason...let the open world be free from your narrative and let it be generalised from the point of view of the in-game characters.

I don't get this complaint at all. By the time you've gotten to the point where people are calling you commander, you'd likely be pretty famous world wide. At least I'm pretty sure that would be the case. Commander was your rank in the Pact but it's also more like a title for life sort of thing. It's like respectfully calling an retired soldier general, except you're not retired. This honorific is pretty common. I suppose they could call you Sir or Ma'am, but that wouldn't be much better. They can't call you by your name.

Being that your character has done these things (Even if you didn't personally do them and you jumped ahead to other content), then it's not immersion breaking to have people calling you by the title by which you became famous.

We had a guy we called captain in our neighborhood when I was growing up, who apparently was a captain of a ship at one point. I have no idea of what ship or where, but I still called him captain like everyone else. For all I know, he'd never been a captain, but it's what everyone called him.

The pact has no commander anymore but people just remember you used to be the commander so they keep calling you that. People are like HELP HELP HELP ME BALTHAZAR!!!! Then they turn around and look at you like oh WERE SAVED! Then they get run over by a bunch of glorified steamrolling fire bugs and that did not bode well.

@Tyson.5160 said:Well to be honest, your also called Champion a lot too, as well as outlander and other titles. Look at WoW, they also call you these ranked titles as well.

In PoF they call you 'outlander' a lot too.

Maps where you are called 'commander' are usually those with high focus in the story and map-wide metas, like Dragonfall and hot maps.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:i dont even notice, theres some history instace where is it repetitive? perhaps on more "military" instances no?Its seems dialogue with Pact buddies they tend to use formal titles.

It is actually standard within military to address the person by the rank they retire from the military as.

Commander is the rank our character retired from the Pact as so by addressing standards, our character will naturally be addressed as Commander rank.

While it is the most common title we are being addressed as, this title is being mostly used by people who lived in the Core regions of GW2 since that is the title commonly known to the public. Outside of core regions, such as Elona, we are addressed by what the citizens call outsiders such as Outlander since Elonians categorize non-natives to Elona as outlanders.

I won't be surprised if we get a new title from Canthan natives when we enter Cantha since they may have a title used for people not native to Cantha like Elonians.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:i dont even notice, theres some history instace where is it repetitive? perhaps on more "military" instances no?Its seems dialogue with Pact buddies they tend to use formal titles.

It is actually standard within military to address the person by the rank they retire from the military as.

Commander is the rank our character retired from the Pact as so by addressing standards, our character will naturally be addressed as Commander rank.

While it is the most common title we are being addressed as, this title is being mostly used by people who lived in the Core regions of GW2 since that is the title commonly known to the public. Outside of core regions, such as Elona, we are addressed by what the citizens call outsiders such as Outlander since Elonians categorize non-natives to Elona as outlanders.

I won't be surprised if we get a new title from Canthan natives when we enter Cantha since they may have a title used for people not native to Cantha like Elonians.

Oh that might be interesting. If Cantha remains accurate to the source material, that is; real world Asian cultures, on top of its extreme isolationism, I imagine that this term for foreigners will probably be much less polite than "outlander".

@"MithranArkanere.8957" said:Maps where you are called 'commander' are usually those with high focus in the story and map-wide metas, like Dragonfall and hot maps.

Exactly. We get called "Commander" primarily by those with military or political relation. Pact, Vigil, High Legions, etc.

This has taken the focus for a lot of the story since Heart of Thorns, which is why we're so often called Commander.

On top of that, it's our official rank - you won't call a retired general by some nickname unless you're close friends with them. You'd call them general or by name. Naturally, "by name" isn't possible except via text.

Nicknames beyond Commander, Champion, and Outlander include things like Eggbearer (said by Exalted of Tarir, though this mostly got replaced with "Champion" now that Aurene hatched and formally chose us as her first champion) and Dragonslayer (mostly said by non-familiar non-military and Svanir), and Boss (by Dragon's Watch, mostly pre-HoT though).

Commander is used because it's simply easiest to use, but there are a frequent use of other nicknames which are used when the situation fits.

If there's an issue with calling the PC Commander all the time, it's that it is the default nickname when another nickname doesn't fit. But those situations are rather rare, since so many plots are political or military related.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah here i am running around as dark murderous assassin errr teef feeling all evil about myself just to be reminded that i am savior of the world and a commander... especially when my character decides to spew some absurdly positive lines with happy british accent. Yikes.

But guess due to optimization and problematic addressing (are you she, he , it????) they just stick to "commander". All and all, i don't mind. I would rather have Taimi and Brahm be finally gone from LS - they annoying the flying kitten out of me (yeah yeah the fans will murder me now). More Canach action plz.

I think people forget easily that there are actually two characters our character represents in GW2 storyline due to lack of distinction who we are playing as for most of the events.

The Commander and the Adventurer

The Commander is our character in Main Story events but the Adventurer is the character we play as who explore the world and goes through the Meta version of events for the Storyline such as while the Commander is fighting Kralkatorrik inside his body to destroy the heart, the Adventurer is going through the Meta event of the story acting as the distraction and weakening Kralkatorrik from the outside with other Adventurers and Alliance members.

It was the similar event for Mordremoth as the Commander is fighting Mordremoth, the Adventurer is with Laranthier, other adventurers, and the Pact to fight Mordremoth's body and when Mordremoth suddenly dies at the end of the Meta in Dragon's Stand, it is that moment when the Commander succeeds with killing Mordremoth in the Main Story side of events.

Another example is the Drakkar fight, while the Adventurer is going with Jhavi to act as the distraction, the commander is moving through the Voice in the Deep events. The end of the Drakkar Meta is when Drakkar retreats and confronts the commander in the story side of events.

Similar situation with Drizzlewood Coast, as the Commander is moving through the West entrance in the Main Story side of the events, the Adventurer is assaulting the Frost Citadel with Efram, Ember, and Kasmeer. The ending of the Meta, after the Claw of Jormag's defeat, is when Efram gets the call to randevu with the Commander in the Story side of the events.

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:The Commander and the Adventurer

The Commander is our character in Main Story events but the Adventurer is the character we play as who explore the world and goes through the Meta version of events for the Storyline such as while the Commander is fighting Kralkatorrik inside his body to destroy the heart, the Adventurer is going through the Meta event of the story acting as the distraction and weakening Kralkatorrik from the outside with other Adventurers and Alliance members.

Actually it's The Commander and A Commander. There are Multiple Pact Commanders, and in the case of assault on Mordremoth I recall it being clearly stated that "other commanders" are leading the assault on the head "up above".

Similar situation with Drizzlewood Coast, as the Commander is moving through the West entrance in the Main Story side of the events, the Adventurer is assaulting the Frost Citadel with Efram, Ember, and Kasmeer. The ending of the Meta, after the Claw of Jormag's defeat, is when Efram gets the call to randevu with the Commander in the Story side of the events.

I am not quite sure on the timing of that one, the assault on the main gate takes a fair bit more time, especially with claw fight involved, than entirety of the story instance combined, and both are supposed to start at the roughtly same time, (we give signal to start the assault as we enter the doors). And after destroying conversion chamber, the frost citadel is supposed to crumble, all together, while apparently the side we are at doesn't? Not to mention that in case of frozen doors, in the instance efram, needs to be instructed how to deal with them but in the meta his like "step aside I've got it". Don't get me wrong, I don't deny they are supposed to somehow happen in the paralel, it's just that the way both were written, and supposed to intertwine, it's kind of messy how exactly they intertwine in there.

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:The Commander and the Adventurer

Actually it's The Commander and A Commander. There are Multiple Pact Commanders, and in the case of assault on Mordremoth I recall it being clearly stated that "other commanders" are leading the assault on the head "up above".

I am not quite sure on the timing of that one, the assault on the main gate takes a fair bit more time, especially with claw fight involved, than entirety of the story instance combined, and both are supposed to start at the roughtly same time, (we give signal to start the assault as we enter the doors). And after destroying conversion chamber, the frost citadel is supposed to crumble, all together, while apparently the side we are at doesn't? Not to mention that in case of frozen doors, in the instance efram, needs to be instructed how to deal with them but in the meta his like "step aside I've got it". Don't get me wrong, I don't deny they are supposed to somehow happen in the paralel, it's just that the way both were written, and supposed to intertwine, it's kind of messy how exactly they intertwine in there.

I personally just call the other character we represent the Adventurer to separate them for less confusion on their roles in the game due to their stories happening at the sametime but the game does not clarify which role we are in unless more directly mention in the Main Storyline for time placement.

After all there is only one "Commander" the Main characters are with and known for each main storyline events since GW2 story began but there are many other commanders the Main characters do not know about or only seen passing by with the Adventurer being among them.

yeah, there're others commanders and we're the "first commander of the pact".

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pact(check references section)

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

@EdwinLi.1284 said:The Commander and the Adventurer

I personally just call the other character we represent the Adventurer to separate them for less confusion on their roles in the game due to their stories happening at the sametime but the game does not clarify which role we are in unless more directly mention in the Main Storyline for time placement.

After all there is only one "Commander" the Main characters are with and known for each main storyline events since GW2 story began but there are many other commanders the Main characters do not know about or only seen passing by with the Adventurer being among them.

@"Brayonsky.4736" said:yeah, there're others commanders and we're the "first commander of the pact".

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pact(check references section)

@EdwinLi.1284 said:The Commander and the Adventurer

I know there are other commanders called Commanders but there is only one "Commander" known by the Main Characters at a personal level since the beginning of GW2. The main characters have not met the Adventurer who is also called Commander by NPCs as well.

I am probably confusing you with what I am talking about because the two different characters our character represent are both called Commander by NPCs but I am refering to how the Commander of the Main Story and the Adventurer are different roles even when both of them are called Commander by NPCs.

That is why I separate their title names as Commander for the Main Storyline character we play as in Main Storyline side of events and the Adventurer for the other side of events outside of the Main Storyline.

So when I say the Main Characters only know the "Commander" I mean the character we play as in the Main Storyline and they do not know about the Adventurer which our character also represents as a separate character from the Commander because he/she is considered a Pact Commander they have yet to meet.

Another reason why I separate them by different titles is because how the Raid Storyline plays out (along with other world map incidents but that is a flexable topic). Raid storyline still happens Main storyline wise but from dialogue of the events in the Raid story reflect that it is the Adventurer side of the storyline.