ArenaNets Presence on Twitch

Hello all!

This is aimed at the ArenaNet dev team, and marketing but would love feedback I really really believe you guys should have more of a presence on twitch, not only from a streaming perspective, but a marketing one. Guild Wars 2 would greatly benefit from loot drops, twitch prime loot, and activeness in random chats/bringing in more content creators.

Let me go into detail:-The number one reason I start new games is by word of mouth, or I see it being played by other streamers.-Another reason is that if I get free loot from Twitch Prime, or twitch drops, I am inclined to redeem it. This will lead me to make an account and try it out. This kind of loot not only would get more eyeballs on the game, but create incentive to press the links for the downloader, and when they realize HOLY CRAP THE GAME IS FREE TO PLAY AND NO SUB?! WHAAAAAT?! I think you get the point :love:

Things you could do for twitch prime loot or loot drops:-Exclusive twitch only skins that the player can equip, which would then drive more of the player base into twitch, creating a swirl of new eyeballs everywhere..-Loot crates (not like monetary loot crates but a, HERE HAVE SOME MATS or maybe a black lion vendor/item that is account bound.)-Gems on occasion. I know that gems would upset the economy, you could make it a loot drop that is a rare drop or something but its a possible thing so I'm including it xD)-Titles for in game-discounts to the expansions/gem store-and so much more

There are tons of things I could list here but I think the general idea is there. Basically create an incentive for people to click on the deal/loot and direct them to the website, and on the other hand, twitch loot drops would generate more eyeballs on partnered streamers and would bring more people in to see what is going on and get in on the loot drops/become part of this amazing community.

Word of mouth would also spread, as people are like HEY TWITCH/GW2 IS GIVING AWAY SOMETHING COME TO THIS STREAM! or something to their friends and family, they all come in and voila! more clicks :smile: This is one of the reasons I decided to start my coloring page giveaways on twitter, so that I could do giveaways, but also bring more people of my community and those who see my tweets into GuildWars2.

The big reason I really think you guys need to branch out on twitch is because I specifically remember streaming one day, going to raid someone and at the very top of the list I saw Summit1g who was trying out GW2 thanks to his community recommending the game.

Not only did Summit generate SO MANY eyeballs to the game, (I literally sat in his chat and the number one thing I saw was the viewers asking "HOW DO I PLAY" or "I should go play this, it looks fun!") but it got the twitch community for GW2 all hyped up and we all came together to tell Summit how much we loved seeing him play it, and how much we loved GW2 ourselves.

The one thing that the GuildWars2 community prides itself on the most is its community. Hands down one of the best, and most open and friendly bunch of people I have ever met, and I have played many other MMOs including WoW vanilla back in 2005 all the way up to the most recent expansion. The number one thing that keeps me coming back to Guild Wars 2, is its community.

Do you know the number one thing I see when new people try GW2 out? "I wish I knew this game was here sooner." or "this game is underrated, and more people should experience this game!"

With the expansion coming out soon, doing these things not only would hype people up more, but it would bring more eyeballs in, and generate more players, more income, which then leads to more content. Who doesn't want more of any of those things? :smile:

I hope this wasn't too much of a problem to read, and I hope this gets to the right eyes, I love you guys to death. Thank you so much for such a wonderful game that we can all come together and have fun, and I will see you all in Tyria :smiley:

Much love,MalchemistMalchemisttv@gmail.com

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Malchemist.1620 said:

Things you could do for twitch prime loot or loot drops:-Exclusive twitch only skins that the player can equip, which would then drive more of the player base into twitch, creating a swirl of new eyeballs everywhere..

'Exclusive' skins that exclude longtime loyal players will almost certainly be a slap in the face to those players.

The big reason I really think you guys need to branch out on twitch is because I specifically remember streaming one day, going to raid someone and at the very top of the list I saw Summit1g who was trying out GW2 thanks to his community recommending the game.

I'd be curious what % of the GW2 base ever even uses Twitch. Your view is its a large untapped reservoir of potential players - my view is that Twitch is already a niche audience and so is merely a tiny subset of potential players. Maybe the Twitchophiles are better at being evangelists for games they like than the average player? Maybe.

Twitch reportedly has 140 million monthly active users. That's not really niche. Not everyone "gets" it - I'm not super into it either, just found it's a handy way to keep from getting bored during workout sessions :D - but it's popular.Now, obviously, not all of those users are going to find GW2 streams, or watch them, or decide they want to play it. But it's worth considering nonetheless. Although there is already a respectable streamer presence in GW2 on Twitch.

I wouldn't mind a Twitch reward. More players to play with, maybe? Some games seem to heavily depend on advertising. GW2 isn't one of those games, but I know for sure that the community had complained about the lack of advertising before. They should try this before the expansion releases, as MMO players tend to believe that expansions are a good fresh start for new players to enter a game at.

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

Things you could do for twitch prime loot or loot drops:
-Exclusive twitch only skins that the player can equip, which would then drive more of the player base into twitch, creating a swirl of new eyeballs everywhere..

'Exclusive' skins that exclude longtime loyal players will almost certainly be a slap in the face to those players.Not really sure what you mean here. Everyone would be eligible to get Twitch drops. Would just have to link ANet and Twitch accounts and watch a set number of hours of GW2 streams. Is super not hard and a lot of games to this already.

@AngelWriter.3652 said:

-Exclusive twitch only skins that the player can equip, which would then drive more of the player base into twitch, creating a swirl of new eyeballs everywhere..

'Exclusive' skins that exclude longtime loyal players will almost certainly be a slap in the face to those players.Not really sure what you mean here. Everyone would be eligible to get Twitch drops.
Would just have to link ANet and Twitch accounts
and watch a set number of hours of GW2 streams. Is super not hard and a lot of games to this already.

That'd be really lame to make longtime players have to create Twitch accounts and watch streams to get specific skins.

Edit: Minis I could see...kind of like the mini one gets for enabling two-factor auth.

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

'Exclusive' skins that exclude longtime loyal players will almost certainly be a slap in the face to those players.Not really sure what you mean here. Everyone would be eligible to get Twitch drops.
Would just have to link ANet and Twitch accounts
and watch a set number of hours of GW2 streams. Is super not hard and a lot of games to this already.

That'd be really lame to make longtime players have to create Twitch accounts and watch streams to get specific skins.

What does being a longtime player or not have to do with this? It doesn't take much to create a Twitch account nor is it any different from what's done in other games. Nor is it any different from other promotions that Anet has done which provided things people could get which was not available through the game.

@AngelWriter.3652 said:

'Exclusive' skins that exclude longtime loyal players will almost certainly be a slap in the face to those players.Not really sure what you mean here. Everyone would be eligible to get Twitch drops. Would just have to link ANet and Twitch accounts and watch a set number of hours of GW2 streams. Is super not hard and a lot of games to this already.

I would much rather play a game or watch a movie than watch a stream, especially if the only way to get certain skins is to watch someone who's like nails on a chalk board. Even starting a stream and muting it and doing something else eats up bandwidth and impacts the quality of other online games or watching another stream. Not to mention the issue of datacaps and how a lot of people have mediocre connections or how some people have to share their internet with several people who use it at the same time.

Twitch favours those who have the time, means, and knowledge to link accounts and who don't have an issue with giving Amazon personal information. There are other ways that are more accessible and have less of a negative impact.

Anet absolutely needs to do better marketing but Twitch is not the way to go.

They don't even do their weekly wvw streams anymore, even if they have devs streaming from their homes.

In terms of wvw there isn't much they have to talk about though and the same questions about WvW alliances comes up, which they will say along the lines of : Any updates on Alliances, will be in a Thread or Post on the forums, or that they are still working on it.'

In terms of WvW streamers though, it is rather clique-ish, also if you think there is too much going on for new players to follow when it comes to small scale sPvP it is worse in WvW, the most popular ones like this: https://bit.ly/31wZzn3 you can see how much visual clutter there is in terms of large scale events.

Any marketing in my opinion is good. Twitch is also a good marketing strategy because there are millions of untapped potential customers.Not being a fan of twitch is completely your opinion and will always respect that, but that doesn't mean that twitch marketing shouldn't exist for the people that do like twitch :)

@Zephire.8049 said:

I would much rather play a game or watch a movie than watch a stream, especially if the only way to get certain skins is to watch someone who's like nails on a chalk board. Even starting a stream and muting it and doing something else eats up bandwidth and impacts the quality of other online games or watching another stream. Not to mention the issue of datacaps and how a lot of people have mediocre connections or how some people have to share their internet with several people who use it at the same time.

You can set the resolution of the stream to 160p which barely uses any data. More most Twitch drops, you don't have to be actively watching the stream. Most Twitch drops are under a few hours. What you're trying to describe is actually a non-issue.

Twitch favours those who have the time, means, and knowledge to link accounts and who don't have an issue with giving Amazon personal information. There are other ways that are more accessible and have less of a negative impact.

You don't have to give out your personal information. Use a burner email to create an account. You then link your account with the game account which is fairly straightforward and easy. When you have the items, you can remove the link. There are numerous guides available on how to link accounts. Like above, what you're describing is a non-issue.

Twitch drops work well for BDO. You can see the viewership skyrocket, and there's generally a bigger influx of players into the game (or back into it). They give mostly generic but useful items daily and then a few bigger items the more you watch. A lot of games use this strategy, and they actually do gain players from it. The percentage might be low, but considering right now there's 0 marketing for the game... anything is higher than 0.

My thoughts were to have a content creator program for Twitch or to revamp the affiliate program to include content creators who may not fall under the Partner Program. Arenanet should tap into Twitch and Youtube content creators. It's free marketing for them by players who love the game enough to stream it. The amount of new players I see wander into Twitch streams and then say "I got the game based on watching you" may not be high, but it happens often enough to know that streamers do help sell the game to new players. There has a be a good way for Arenanet to tap into that resource more.

Nothing better illustrates how old the GW2 playerbase is than this topic. Twitch is huge, get one streamer behind your game and you get an influx. Even as an experimental thing, like Summit1G did last year; he decided to play GW2 for all of a week and he had 15-20k active viewers at ONE time. That's a lot of eyes.

@Aerial Melodies.4938 said:The percentage might be low, but considering right now there's 0 marketing for the game... anything is higher than 0.

There actually is marketing for the game from time to time, but they seem to be directed at MMORPG websites. You know, the ones where there's forums of people that enjoy complaining about games rather than playing them. The sites are still very useful for getting a feel for what might be fun to play, so it's worth advertising on them.

Still, Twitch can catch the eyes of people from other genres. GW2 is unique enough to where it might have success in getting players that aren't usually interested in MMORPGs.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

You can set the resolution of the stream to 160p which barely uses any data. More most Twitch drops, you don't have to be actively watching the stream. Most Twitch drops are under a few hours. What you're trying to describe is actually a non-issue.

When you have 4 people using the internet at the same time with a combination of gaming, Netflix, and video meetings, that's still an undue burden that does not need to be there. And hour(s) of 160p will still eat into your monthly data limit. Not as much as 720, 1080, or 4k but it's not nothing and can very much be an issue because not everywhere has high or unlimited data and good enough internet for 160p to be a non-issue.

You don't have to give out your personal information. Use a burner email to create an account. You then link your account with the game account which is fairly straightforward and easy. When you have the items, you can remove the link. There are numerous guides available on how to link accounts. Like above, what you're describing is a non-issue.

So to get a skin someone needs to a) make a throwaway email, b) use a VPN, c) give Twitch AKA Amazon your actual game account info, and d) watch a stream for possibly hours. Sure you can delete your account link but that info is absolutely stored on servers (unless you're in the EU and can GDPR it out of there). That's a heck of a lot of steps and various middlemen if you want to protect some of your info when Anet could just do better marketing to bring in new players and do in-game or e-mail codes for skins.

@Zephire.8049 said:

When you have 4 people using the internet at the same time with a combination of gaming, Netflix, and video meetings, that's still an undue burden that does not need to be there. And hour(s) of 160p will still eat into your monthly data limit. Not as much as 720, 1080, or 4k but it's not nothing and can very much be an issue because not everywhere has high or unlimited data and good enough internet for 160p to be a non-issue.

If you have that many people using that much data, surely running a stream at 160 would hardly have much of an impact.

So to get a skin someone needs to a) make a throwaway email, b) use a VPN, c) give Twitch AKA Amazon your actual game account info, and d) watch a stream for possibly hours. Sure you can delete your account link but that info is absolutely stored on servers (unless you're in the EU and can GDPR it out of there). That's a heck of a lot of steps and various middlemen if you want to protect
some
of your info when Anet could just do better marketing to bring in new players and do in-game or e-mail codes for skins.

They only need to make a throwaway if they want to not use their personal one. You were the one who made a stink about privacy so that's why I brought it up as an option. Going to any website logs your IP address as well as adds cookies onto your PC. If you're that paranoid about spending a few hours on a streaming website then certainly you'd be paranoid about others and likely have already taken precautions such as a VPN. You give them your account ID although you typically create the link through the game developer. You don't have to watch the stream for hours as I have already stated. You can leave it open and go do something else.

I wish we had some numbers on how many people, if any, Summit's week-long stint in GW2 brought in. I have a hard time believing that anyone who joined thanks to seeing him play actually stuck around, but that's just speculation on my part - as is any guess that he brought in anything approaching an appreciable number of new players.

As for twitch drops, I also play BDO and will agree that they work for that game. I find the whole thing to be a massive annoyance though, and I it essentially boils down to bribing players to "watch" (i.e. leave running but tab out of) uninteresting content.

@Gotejjeken.1267 said:Nothing better illustrates how old the GW2 playerbase is than this topic. Twitch is huge, get one streamer behind your game and you get an influx. Even as an experimental thing, like Summit1G did last year; he decided to play GW2 for all of a week and he had 15-20k active viewers at ONE time. That's a lot of eyes.

But how many converted to long time players and how many just followed him to the next game?

Twitch is a massive marketing tool that has a plethora of new customers to bring in. Content creators are also a huge way to bring those people in as they may have people watching them that dont play GW2. a common misconception of streamers is that people watch streams for the game, and while that is somewhat true, most people watch streamers for the streamer/content creator.

I think the one thing that it may have gotten lost in the post is that this isn't all about loot drops, but just getting eyeballs to look towards the prime loot screen is a huge thing on twitch. everyone sees loot there, like for instance I see loot all the time for games like GTA5, Fall Guys, indie games of all types and more. the more people see those notifications the more likely they are to click on the advertisement and redeem the prize you get from it.

It may also get older players who haven't logged into the game in awhile to come back to redeem the skin, and then see oh hey stuff has been added/changed maybe i should check that out.

as for loot drops, its a good way to bring in existing/new/incoming players to content creators that can find a community to join, have questions answered, and get referral links to the game if they decide to buy. I personally know a ton of people who look for streamers/content creators who are playing games they are looking into to watch how the game is in real time.

its a sound decision all around, no matter if some go to twitch or not. but with millions of eyes, you're bound to get a few to try the game out and thats the goal here. :)