Longbow rangers/soulbeasts is the most unfun experience I ever had in a long time playing this game.

Aikon.6140

I like how the OP disappeared in the early part of the topic, and now we're discussing how niche SB actually is. Like, using a similar build to the one in the vid above (with a few trait tweaks) it is truly a monster in a small group / +1 situation. Roaming though? Awful. Way, way too glassy and all two of your survival / escape options are pretty craptastic compared to a good NM build on either Druid or Core.

So yeah, I run two builds, this one for my groups where I can just kite and destroy people, and then an survival / immob build where I can duel just about anything (except DE's cause that range / escape advantage is nuts).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree that Longbow Soulbeast is frustrating to fight. The range of the Longbow, coupled with the mobility of Soulbeast, makes them able to both hit hard and kite with ease.

I do think the Ranger Longbow should have its range reduced to 1200, as this is the range the Longbow has on other professions. This type of change, if it were made, should be followed with some compensation of sorts; perhaps by improving a lesser aspect.of the Ranger class.

• 2 weeks later...

@Soilder.3607 said:I don't disagree that Longbow Soulbeast is frustrating to fight. The range of the Longbow, coupled with the mobility of Soulbeast, makes them able to both hit hard and kite with ease.

I do think the Ranger Longbow should have its range reduced to 1200, as this is the range the Longbow has on other professions. This type of change, if it were made, should be followed with some compensation of sorts; perhaps by improving a lesser aspect.of the Ranger class.

nah, they should just make it 1500 as it states, LB is bugged and goes way over 1800 range somewhere in the ballpark of 1900-2000, thats way too much.

@"Aikon.6140" said:I wonder why 80% of players I see roaming in wvw are Rangers or Soulbeast, that class seriously need a complete rework for wvw.They have stealth, survivability, mobility, no sense burst damage, and all of this while standing 2km far from target, they can even outchase you while in mount with super speed.

You need to experiment more with the special sigil/rune/food & utility options and of course other pve options as well.

Ok so:

1. You see so many Soulbeasts in wvw mainly because the build it is good at using is able to be built completely with cheap gear options that come directly off the TP. If you can get a Soulbeast to 80, you can gear it with Berserker/Eagle Runes and Force/Impact sigils easily enough. The build structure to use with that cheap and easily obtainable build structure is also a pretty obvious pick.
  2. You see so many Soulbeasts in wvw not only because it is easy to figure out the build and buy the gear, but also because older players with deeper commitment are beginning to vanish and newer players are coming in. Newer players take the easy routes to do things. The older players aren't around as often to demonstrate why Soulbeast isn't the strongest roamer in wvw.
  3. Soulbeast is unable to take advantage of and exploit some of the more difficult to obtain gear options in the same way that other classes can. When older players go out of their way to form full ascended setup with max infusion builds based around things like sigils of absorption and draining and holographic super cakes, I don't think some of you guys are realizing how neigh invulnerable and impossible to beat these builds are for a Soulbeast who has to run general DPS options and foods to do its job. A good example of what I mean is what Mirages or Daredevils or even Rune Of Speed Reaper Roamers are capable of doing when running Draining/Absorption on their weapons.

Just read these and imagine the possibilities with pve gear options. Get creative because let me tell ya, Soulbeast DPS roamers are not the most broken roamer, not by a long shot. Read these and notice there is no CD on these sigils. Imagine Choking Gas or Headshot or Mantra of Distraction or all the mass AoE CCs Reapers have. Get smart.

Most of the complaints I see about wvw Rangers stem from players who try to run metabattle zerg builds while they go around attempting to solo supply camps. Of course you aren't going to be able to deal with something utilizing solo 1v1 roamer options with some kind of a half zerg build.