[April Fools] Guild Wars 2: The Card Game - Screenshots

Hello!

I am a lucky tester of incoming GuildWars2: The Card Game! Currently it's in Closed Alpha, but it's so fun and promising project! I was allowed to post some screenshots from game. If you have questions - feel free to ask! I will try to answer them all as long as NDA is allowing me to answer them!

Build: CA_2021_04_01_631

ibTKOy5.png

KhVFwv1.png

uz0niFD.png

EUQuWjP.png

Vcbhjyt.png

5V61dyF.png

EuCCj0j.png

bRLC1wh.png

.I am giving away 5 codes for my followers on Twitter to Closed Alpha of Guild Wars 2: The Card Game, GOOD LUCK!

If this post will get at least 100 likes, I will give away 2 more keys! -> Post 1If this post will get at least 100 likes, I will give away 2 more keys! -> Post 2

If you look for QA Tester, or UI/UX Artist I can probably help you with your projects too! Hiring offers welcome via PM! ; )

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Ha! April Fool's!

B)

@"Danikat.8537" said:That must have taken you ages!

Did you base the 'in play' layout on an existing game, or just put together something which looks believable?Actually I've made ealier some assets https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/117729/game-concept-guild-wars-2-the-card-game for physical card game. So I re-used them in current project. So I had to work on UI/UX layouts and fiddle a bit with official textures/wallpapers/icons and all... so far it took me 15h. ;D

About gameplay - yep, you can find physical card game mockup in link above. It's based on dead polish TCG game (since 6 years), but I reworked and changed like 50% of mechanics, so I'd say it's different game now. So far it should be playable on table. As digital game? Well, probably too! Since I managed to create scenes. :D

@Veprovina.4876 said:Ha! Nice! :smile:The design choices fit great!The buttons are maybe too over the top compared to the current aesthetic but good job nonetheless!Thank you! Tried my best, but I was busy with other projects so I had to sacrifice some time and hurry up this one... ^^

@"Cynder.2509" said:Looks preem! Although it's not real :(Does it play more like Magic The Gathering, Hearthstone or Gwent?Hmmm It's totally a different game, I'd say it's a bit more complext than MtG. ( https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/117729/game-concept-guild-wars-2-the-card-game - this might visualise it better ;) )

Round is split to turns, so players play their moves alternately (depending who have more Noble Characters or... bought initiative with gold). On Round start you draw 4+ max 3 cards (if you used "Location" cards as hand expansion). Each Round new Event is revealed too (modifies gameplay, like you cannot do diplomacy this round or duel characters, or have to pay gold taxes :P ).

Each Turn you can do one Action + as much as you want minor moves. Action is playing a Character from hand, Card play rule with Action icon, challenging a duel or doing diplomacy. Duel and Diplomacy gives you Victory Points - once you collect them all - you win.

There are two fields: Battleground and Summit Field (. On Summit Field you can keep Locations and Characters (if they have keywords allowing them to stay there). You can do diplomacy here but cannot duel Characters (until you have "Hotspur" Character or Cards allowing you to do it). On Battlefield You can duel or do diplomacy.

There are also attachable cards like Effects(or they can be instant), Belongings(Mounts, Weapons, Armors, Items, etc) and Attacks (They're played with back-up, so opponent don't know card rules, they are revealed during duel if played, or during diplomacy for extra Victory Point).

There are also 3 other cards which are 'permanent' on table: Strategy, Battle and Diplomatic Influences. They modify your playstyle generally.

To fasten game, each Round, there are 2 Victory Points discarded from game from shared pool (if shared pool is empty - each player discards 1). :)

So that's the quick preview of rules. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Sad thing is.. I'd love for Gw2 to have an actual card game XD

I'll always have fond memories about FF8's stupidly addictive card game, good times ^^Imagine something like that in Gw2, challenging other players around town and gambling your best cards against their best cards.. going around the world killing specific creatures and hoping for a rare, unique card drop..Challenging specific NPC's in the game daily for the chance to win a rare unique card from them (Queen Jennah should totally have a unique Logan Thackery card)Man that be so fun to have ^^

@"Grand Marshal.4098" said:Tbh, I would totally play that if it was a thing. And if it even had physical cards that can be used as well, I would still buy them for a collection.Physical card game mockup you can find here. ;) Yep, they aren't real thingy either... ;D

@"Teratus.2859" said:Sad thing is.. I'd love for Gw2 to have an actual card game XD

I'll always have fond memories about FF8's stupidly addictive card game, good times ^^Imagine something like that in Gw2, challenging other players around town and gambling your best cards against their best cards.. going around the world killing specific creatures and hoping for a rare, unique card drop..Challenging specific NPC's in the game daily for the chance to win a rare unique card from them (Queen Jennah should totally have a unique Logan Thackery card)Man that be so fun to have ^^I guess it could be possible to 'implement' with GW2 core game, but I would prefer to see Card Game in a Full Box format - once you buy it, you have access to ALL cards. Like in SPvP: You need a skill to build a deck, not drafting luck from boosters. ;)

Also I was bored in Tabletop Simulator... oops.BMqWbWP.png

@Makarow.3028 said:

@"Grand Marshal.4098" said:Tbh, I would totally play that if it was a thing. And if it even had physical cards that can be used as well, I would still buy them for a collection.
Yep, they aren't real thingy either... ;D

@"Teratus.2859" said:Sad thing is.. I'd love for Gw2 to have an actual card game XD

I'll always have fond memories about FF8's stupidly addictive card game, good times ^^Imagine something like that in Gw2, challenging other players around town and gambling your best cards against their best cards.. going around the world killing specific creatures and hoping for a rare, unique card drop..Challenging specific NPC's in the game daily for the chance to win a rare unique card from them (Queen Jennah should totally have a unique Logan Thackery card)Man that be so fun to have ^^I guess it could be possible to 'implement' with GW2 core game, but I would prefer to see Card Game in a Full Box format - once you buy it, you have access to ALL cards. Like in SPvP: You need a skill to build a deck, not drafting luck from boosters. ;)

There's merit to doing it like that too.A big part of the fun I have with card's is the collection process though, without that element I'd get bored after a while.

Also I was bored in Tabletop Simulator... oops.
BMqWbWP.png

Nice XD

@Teratus.2859 said:There's merit to doing it like that too.A big part of the fun I have with card's is the collection process though, without that element I'd get bored after a while.Collections are fun indeed, but I fear people would be angry with 'super rare' card drops or it would be predatory monetized. Until it would be pretty available on Trading Post (and not expensive), so everyone could get e-cards as they wish.

@Grand Marshal.4098 said:Ngl some specific decks and a series of boosters would be amazing to have with this too. Just the thrill of opening your packs and see what you got is a thing of it's own!!Like replied above, just don't wanna it agressively monetized. ;)

If boosters/decks would be in affordable prices - I am fine with it.

@Makarow.3028 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:There's merit to doing it like that too.A big part of the fun I have with card's is the collection process though, without that element I'd get bored after a while.Collections are fun indeed, but I fear people would be angry with 'super rare' card drops or it would be predatory monetized. Until it would be pretty available on Trading Post (and not expensive), so everyone could get e-cards as they wish.

Yeah they'd have to be tradable or something for sure, I agree.Least then anyone could obtain them if their RNG luck sucks.

Though you could always win them from other players too.. so that's another option for obtaining them.That does bring in a whole debate on how much rarity should impact a cards strength though :s plus there's also no cause for players to risk really rare cards without them providing some kind of advantage.Then there's market saturation with so many dupes around of common cards devaluing themselves..

Perhaps instead of gambling cards they should instead be a collection thing.. once you obtain em you bind them to your account and use them forever.Players can instead gamble gold or materials on a game or something rather than win their opponents cards.

@Teratus.2859 said:Yeah they'd have to be tradable or something for sure, I agree.Least then anyone could obtain them if their RNG luck sucks.

If boosters would happen, then they shouldn't be expensive to buy. And each card should have let's say the same drop ratio.

Though you could always win them from other players too.. so that's another option for obtaining them.That does bring in a whole debate on how much rarity should impact a cards strength though :s plus there's also no cause for players to risk really rare cards without them providing some kind of advantage.Then there's market saturation with so many dupes around of common cards devaluing themselves..

About rarity. I would try to balance cards to have one activated effect (eventually, OR selection between two). There still would be counter cards for played action response. Also I think deck would be 60 cards with 3 copies max of card (until card would have a keyword Unique - 1 copy in deck).I think better way would be to 'mill' extra copies at Mystic Forge to craft new booster (for example mill 4 cards to receive 2 new random ones). So once supply on market evaporate, people can buy more boosters from vendor.

Perhaps instead of gambling cards they should instead be a collection thing.. once you obtain em you bind them to your account and use them forever.Players can instead gamble gold or materials on a game or something rather than win their opponents cards.

You still would be able to 'bind' them to account. I do not like 'gold/ecto/card' gamble idea tho. :P

@Makarow.3028 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:Yeah they'd have to be tradable or something for sure, I agree.Least then anyone could obtain them if their RNG luck sucks.

If boosters would happen, then they shouldn't be expensive to buy. And each card should have let's say the same drop ratio.

I dunno about boosters.. overall was thinking more that certain NPC's and bosses would provide specific individual cards since It would lessen the overall RNG element.If you could only get say the Shatterer Card from fighting the Shatterer then you'd be fighting it daily for a RNG booster drop and then have to go through another RNG when you open the pack to get the unique card.

I wouldn't care much for that as it would end up making certain cards either very hard to get or very expensive to buy from another player.Certain exotic items suffer from this same problem as well.

About rarity. I would try to balance cards to have one activated effect (eventually, OR selection between two). There still would be counter cards for played action response. Also I think deck would be 60 cards with 3 copies max of card (until card would have a keyword Unique - 1 copy in deck).I think better way would be to 'mill' extra copies at Mystic Forge to craft new booster (for example mill 4 cards to receive 2 new random ones). So once supply on market evaporate, people can buy more boosters from vendor.

Forge recipes would help there a lot yeah.. specially if there is a tier list like gear has with a chance for card promotion4 Common green cards possibly giving you 1 or 2 Rare cards.

I've not thought much on how the game itself would work though.. I don't have much experience with actual card games.FF8's card game I do play a lot when I play that game, but the only proper card game I ever played much of was Munchkin.. which was just silly fun lol

You still would be able to 'bind' them to account. I do not like 'gold/ecto/card' gamble idea tho. :p

How would you handle a prize for winning between players?If cards are bound to you it would make the whole winning the opponents cards thing a bit more difficult.