Tankers in WvW: sadly they rule the game and sabotage my fun in WvW

manu.7539

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@SWI.4127 said:

@manu.7539 said:WE MADE IT !!! AT THE VERY LAST DAY OF OUR LINK WE WON T1 !!! ASCALONS IS OURS !!! B)

So what reward didya get?

Rewards? Who cares about rewards? I got everything I need a long time ago! Bags u can get them everyday, winning is the real challenge.. but its not for losers!

Is it a challenge though? I did absolutely nothing in terms of PPT that week and I still won T1 as much as you did. A single person has very little control over it, there are no rewards, therefore there is no point in stressing over it.

Maybe u won just as me but ur not one of those who can say with pride and joy "WE MADE IT!!!" :pIf u cant endure the stress of a competitive game then dont play it!

I feel 'we made it' when we win a scrim against a good guild. Or sometimes when a server I despise goes down in flame and smoke.PPT once in a while is relaxing, but not the main thing (for me). Winning a matchup only gives the 'we made it' feeling, if we really wanted to go up a tier to face two servers that give enjoyable fights.

Yeah sure beating a good guild is nice, pugs with cloud formation had the "we made it" feeling few times in T1 vs some of the best BG and SoS guild blobs, good times :)

@manu.7539 said:

@SWI.4127 said:

@manu.7539 said:WE MADE IT !!! AT THE VERY LAST DAY OF OUR LINK WE WON T1 !!! ASCALONS IS OURS !!! B)

Rewards? Who cares about rewards? I got everything I need a long time ago! Bags u can get them everyday, winning is the real challenge.. but its not for losers!

Is it a challenge though? I did absolutely nothing in terms of PPT that week and I still won T1 as much as you did. A single person has very little control over it, there are no rewards, therefore there is no point in stressing over it.

Maybe u won just as me but ur not one of those who can say with pride and joy "WE MADE IT!!!" :pIf u cant endure the stress of a competitive game then dont play it!

I feel 'we made it' when we win a scrim against a good guild. Or sometimes when a server I despise goes down in flame and smoke.PPT once in a while is relaxing, but not the main thing (for me). Winning a matchup only gives the 'we made it' feeling, if we really wanted to go up a tier to face two servers that give enjoyable fights.

Yeah sure beating a good guild is nice, pugs with cloud formation had the "we made it" feeling few times in T1 vs some of the best BG and SoS guild blobs, good times :)

Using your current matchup as an example, blue dominates the map for 6 hours followed by green staying at the top for 12 hours implies green has better coverage. It doesn't matter if that 12 hours are more competitive (closer in PPT) than the 6 hours. If the server is consistently ahead for 12 hours it means they have better coverage. That fact alone is far more important than any individual contribution you or anyone else might have had.

@manu.7539 said:

@SWI.4127 said:

You ever thought those guild blobs were just trying to bait your blobs to fight, rather than fight a bunch of pugs pointlessly? Very few guild groups genuinely want to flip objectives for the sake of flipping objectives.

That's exactly why everyone sits on EBG all day, because SM baits RvR fights constantly. You don't have to travel across a large map, you just gotta hit the giant target sign in the middle of the map.

@TheOneWhoSighs.7513 said:

@SWI.4127 said:

You ever thought those guild blobs were just trying to bait your blobs to fight, rather than fight a bunch of pugs pointlessly? Very few guild groups genuinely want to flip objectives for the sake of flipping objectives.

That's exactly why everyone sits on EBG all day, because SM baits RvR fights constantly. You don't have to travel across a large map, you just gotta hit the giant target sign in the middle of the map.

Ah man, u should use this imagination more positively, u sounds too cranky! I got 2 memorable fights in mind, 1 was at reset, we had no guild group at home bl and we had a great fight on our garrison, not sure if it was BG or SoS but anyway, pushing that blob out of garri was very satisfying! Another one was at our bay vs a 40 BG blob all from a guild that I guess I cant name on this forum (this is so annoying!). After few kills on their tail they got scared an ran out vs a bunch of pugs, and again, I was at the 1st lodge to laugh at them! :p

@Hackuuna.4085 said:

@SWI.4127 said:

Using your current matchup as an example, blue dominates the map for 6 hours followed by green staying at the top for 12 hours implies green has better coverage. It doesn't matter if that 12 hours are more competitive (closer in PPT) than the 6 hours. If the server is consistently ahead for 12 hours it means they have better coverage. That fact alone is far more important than any individual contribution you or anyone else might have had.

That sounds about right, more like 12h vs 12h except that we are much weaker on our downtime so they are free to push us on 3rd place every nights, something that most of the time we cant do in our primetime.. thanks to our tankers focusing the wrong team and making sure SoS barely drop in 3rd place in any skirmish. That is something I cant control, I tried hard but these guys are stubborn and selfish as kitten!

@manu.7539 said:

@SWI.4127 said:

Ah man, u should use this imagination more positively, u sounds too cranky! I got 2 memorable fights in mind, 1 was at reset, we had no guild group at home bl and we had a great fight on our garrison, not sure if it was BG or SoS but anyway, pushing that blob out of garri was very satisfying! Another one was at our bay vs a 40 BG blob all from a guild that I guess I cant name on this forum (this is so annoying!). After few kills on their tail they got scared an ran out vs a bunch of pugs, and again, I was at the 1st lodge to laugh at them! :p

Yeah, both sound like groups trying to get an actual response.

Though I won't lie, there was definitely a BG group that would run anytime like 3-4 of them would die. Such is the reward you get for playing in T1. Fighting a BG group that's afraid to die in a video game.

@TheOneWhoSighs.7513 said:

@SWI.4127 said:

Yeah, both sound like groups trying to get an actual response.

I should say we had about equal numbers in these fights but we were pugs vs organized guilds. So their response they had it but vs clouding pugs their usual choke point fights strategy doesnt work!

Though I won't lie, there was definitely a BG group that would run anytime like 3-4 of them would die. Such is the reward you get for playing in T1. Fighting a BG group that's afraid to die in a video game.

Finally we agree on something! SoS are also ez to scare, they rarely fights when they arent sure to win. It just motivate me badly to beat them but sadly it also explain alot why so many players hate t1 and just dont want to go there!

I don't know what all the hub bub is about. Since release I've had the 'privilege' of being in Tier 1 through 6 over the years.

There were differences between all of these tiers, but it largely revolved around player numbers and coverages. This meant typically in T1 you got faster call outs, larger roaming groups and larger zergs, but outside that it's the same tactics, the same coordination, the same builds etc (though the lower you go the more willing they seem to be to experiment). And it's been this way for a number of years now from what I've seen. Granted servers have garnered reputations for various things (fighting, siege etc), but sitting in T1 now, I certainly don't feel like I've missed anything in the time I was out of it.

It's the exact same thing, just on a larger scale. I literally see no other difference currently. Certainly not this 'coordination' that sets it apart from the rest.

@"lilcoffeebean.3149" said:I don't know what all the hub bub is about. Since release I've had the 'privilege' of being in Tier 1 through 6 over the years.

There were differences between all of these tiers, but it largely revolved around player numbers and coverages. This meant typically in T1 you got faster call outs, larger roaming groups and larger zergs, but outside that it's the same tactics, the same coordination, the same builds etc (though the lower you go the more willing they seem to be to experiment). And it's been this way for a number of years now from what I've seen. Granted servers have garnered reputations for various things (fighting, siege etc), but sitting in T1 now, I certainly don't feel like I've missed anything in the time I was out of it.

It's the exact same thing, just on a larger scale. I literally see no other difference currently. Certainly not this 'coordination' that sets it apart from the rest.

Yeah, lets say its "about' the same thing. I've played wvw 4 years and I only remember 3 servers winning T1 in NA: BG, SoS and... HoD! I can be wrong but thats what I remember. I know many dont care but to me that's something cool! We are like David vs Goliath (BG) + Godzilla (SoS) and "WE DID IT"!

Ok Goliath was missing this time but 1st time we won BG was on the game. We pushed BG out of T1 (with alot of dblteaming :p) and the week after we won vs SoS.

You can beat numbers and coverage by strategy and cooperation, that's the lesson of the HoD story ;)

@manu.7539 said:

@"lilcoffeebean.3149" said:I don't know what all the hub bub is about. Since release I've had the 'privilege' of being in Tier 1 through 6 over the years.

Yeah, lets say its "about' the same thing. I've played wvw 4 years and I only remember 3 servers winning T1 in NA: BG, SoS and... HoD! I can be wrong but thats what I remember. I know many dont care but to me that's something cool! We are like David vs Goliath (BG)
+
Godzilla (SoS) and "WE DID IT"!

Ok Goliath was missing this time but 1st time we won BG was on the game. We pushed BG out of T1 (with alot of dblteaming :p) and the week after we won vs SoS.

You can beat numbers and coverage by strategy and cooperation, that's the lesson of the HoD story ;)

So you're saying that you needed to combine two servers' numbers and coverage by doubleteaming to an amount greater than what BG could muster in order to beat them? I mean, of course the two smaller servers should target the bigger server because numbers are the key to winning a match. Inflating numbers will always be a winning strategy. That's the "server meta" and the whole reason why BG purchased guilds and "overstacked" through population exploits in the early years of this game.

@Virdo.1540 said:a while ago the forum was like this:

Oneshotters in WvW: sadly they rule the game and sabotage my fun in WvW

I saw 3 others titles copying mine but not this one! I was surprise but ok with it.

@Chaba.5410 said:

Yeah, lets say its "about' the same thing. I've played wvw 4 years and I only remember 3 servers winning T1 in NA: BG, SoS and... HoD! I can be wrong but thats what I remember. I know many dont care but to me that's something cool! We are like David vs Goliath (BG)
+

So you're saying that you needed to combine two servers' numbers and coverage by doubleteaming to an amount greater than what BG could muster in order to beat them? I mean, of course the two smaller servers should target the bigger server because numbers are the key to winning a match. Inflating numbers will always be a winning strategy. That's the "server meta" and the whole reason why BG purchased guilds and "overstacked" through population exploits in the early years of this game.

Whatever the tier, dblteaming is an efficient way to counter numbers and coverage. Doing it vs BG is fair enough :p

I’ve posted about what went on internally years ago before, but basically, Anet doesn’t care about match fixing (or has lacked a dedicated WvW dev team who actually understood the mode since day 1).

They also see a bunch of revenue from server transfers come in every time certain servers are open, why would they want to block their cash flow?

@manu.7539 said:Whatever the tier, dblteaming is an efficient way to counter numbers and coverage. Doing it vs BG is fair enough :p

It's not countering because that implies using a different tactic. It's fighting fire with fire, using the same tactic. And the reason it is efficient is because numbers and coverage is what the scoring system favors. If it wasn't so, then when people stop playing to artificially lower their numbers and coverage, a server would not be able to tank (the opposite of playing more hours in order to artificially inflate numbers and coverage). And that's why a large portion of the playing population doesn't care about it and tends to choose PVP content over the scoring system.

@LetoII.3782 said:

They also see a bunch of revenue from server transfers come in every time certain servers are open, why would they want to block their cash flow?

It's an unfortunate consequence of the free-to-play business model.Design decisions are influenced by things other than making a fun game.

While I’m salty I don’t think it’s too sinister, PvE is where all the attention goes. But yeah I agree with you.

@"manu.7539" said:Yeah, lets say its "about' the same thing. I've played wvw 4 years and I only remember 3 servers winning T1 in NA: BG, SoS and... HoD! I can be wrong but thats what I remember. I know many dont care but to me that's something cool! We are like David vs Goliath (BG) + Godzilla (SoS) and "WE DID IT"!

woohoo.. winning tier 1 when wvw operates at less than half it's population through 9 years and using half it's original servers for matchups.Plenty of other servers have beaten BG even in their phat days, it just wasn't worth the effort to constantly do it when they had more scouts/ppters/overnight coverage than everyone else for some green bags at the end of the match. But grats on beating grandpa BG, also SoS who gets propped up by temp NA every few months, while their ocx railroads everything else.

@manu.7539 said:

+

Then your memory just isn't that good. Dragonbrand, Maguuma, and SBI, are just a few that have won T1 in the last year, let alone going back 4 years. But, I do understand the feeling of winning against one of the 'established' T1 servers. Yet, I do not see this strategy that HoD employs that somehow sets the server apart. To me, after a week, it's just like any other server, but the coverage in EST (JQ is beefy here too), PST, and EU for HoD is significantly better than what SoS can manage. Then SoS dominates OCX and JQ/SoS compete for SEA. That's all I've really seen, but there's not any strategy in that. Majority of the day WvW is a K-train and not much else, it's just which server is leading that K-train changes. This is easily seen firsthand and through the stats themselves.

@lilcoffeebean.3149 said:

@lilcoffeebean.3149 said:I don't know what all the hub bub is about. Since release I've had the 'privilege' of being in Tier 1 through 6 over the years.

+

Then your memory just isn't that good. Dragonbrand, Maguuma, and SBI, are just a few that have won T1 in the last year, let alone going back 4 years. But, I do understand the feeling of winning against one of the 'established' T1 servers. Yet, I do not see this strategy that HoD employs that somehow sets the server apart. To me, after a week, it's just like any other server, but the coverage in EST (JQ is beefy here too), PST, and EU for HoD is significantly better than what SoS can manage. Then SoS dominates OCX and JQ/SoS compete for SEA. That's all I've really seen, but there's not any strategy in that. Majority of the day WvW is a K-train and not much else, it's just which server is leading that K-train changes. This is easily seen firsthand and through the stats themselves.

I dont know the source of your infos but I just checked server history on gw2stats.com... looks right about DB at least!

Mag, not sure. From week to week gw2stats.com mention against which servers a server played and the score but dont mention in what tier it was. Since BG surprisingly tanking out of t1 sometimes its a little annoying to make deductions from gw2stats.com.

Not even checking for SBI, these stats gives me headaches!

You said that they "are just a few that have won T1 in the last year"!? Kitten, I know I havent played as much as usual, I took some breaks but to the point that I missed all that?!? I'm very surprised!

Thx anyway, the truth is always welcome! :)

And about HoD strategy. SoS and JQ have a much better OCX and SEA coverage. Then the strategy is to max our ppt during the day and keep an hard focus on the team to beat (SoS this week). Yeah nothing so special, its basic, we do the maths from skirmish to skirmish and thats it, never said that we were apart about it!

If you're using gw2stats, it's a mystery why you haven't seen that Mag has won first in T1 15 times, 2nd place 28 times, and 3rd place 21 times. Those medals are for the top three ranks only (aka T1). It's also a mystery why you don't remember Mag going after BG 4 years ago. Many salty posts were made about it.

@Chaba.5410 said:If you're using gw2stats, it's a mystery why you haven't seen that Mag has won first in T1 15 times, 2nd place 28 times, and 3rd place 21 times. Those medals are for the top three ranks only (aka T1). It's also a mystery why you don't remember Mag going after BG 4 years ago. Many salty posts were made about it.

I was talking about the 4 past years... and yes I remember mag was still a thing 4 years ago but wasnt beating BG.

@manu.7539 said:

@"Chaba.5410" said:If you're using gw2stats, it's a mystery why you haven't seen that Mag has won first in T1 15 times, 2nd place 28 times, and 3rd place 21 times. Those medals are for the top three ranks only (aka T1). It's also a mystery why you don't remember Mag going after BG 4 years ago. Many salty posts were made about it.

I was talking about the 4 past years... and yes I remember mag was still a thing 4 years ago but wasnt beating BG.

Then you must have "joined" at the tail end of Mag's rise (thanks to stacking for numbers and coverage just like on your server) and domination. Then BG decided to tank until the Mag pugs got bored and turned up the toxicity to chase the stackers away. (See for example https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/567fqf/which_na_wvw_server_blackgate_full_maguuma_rising/) IIRC Maguuma was the last glicko-based server to rise up to T1 and beat BG badly enough to make them tank before server links were implemented.

It's ironic that your post started out about tankers ruining your fun. Yet it's tankers on the other servers that are creating your fun from "winning".

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:If you're using gw2stats, it's a mystery why you haven't seen that Mag has won first in T1 15 times, 2nd place 28 times, and 3rd place 21 times. Those medals are for the top three ranks only (aka T1). It's also a mystery why you don't remember Mag going after BG 4 years ago. Many salty posts were made about it.

Then you must have "joined" at the tail end of Mag's rise (thanks to stacking for numbers and coverage just like on your server) and domination. Then BG decided to tank until the Mag pugs got bored and turned up the toxicity to chase the stackers away. (See for example
) IIRC Maguuma was the last glicko-based server to rise up to T1 and beat BG badly enough to make them tank before server links were implemented.

It's ironic that your post started out about tankers ruining your fun. Yet it's tankers on the other servers that are creating your fun from "winning".

Even with BG tanking I dont feel like we didnt deserve it! We had an horrible issue with tanking. Up to 3 blobs a day were doing absolutely nothing or worst focused their ppt vs the wrong server. SoS in the other hand never stopped their focus on us and lets admit they arent easy to play against! The week we won even FC was focusing on us when we were in trouble and u should know that they have a couple of revenants able to capture fortified keeps and towers without using any siege... So yeah it was alot of hardwork and we can be proud of what we did!