Genuine Imposter achievement : how does it work?

It is an achievement in the first story instance: Behind Enemy Lines.You need to be spotted by dominion soldiers and convince them to let you go 10 times.

Does anyone understand how it works? Seems random to me (and so it's really annoying to retry it).

Some suggest (in guide) it depends on armor types (heavy, leather), but it doesn't work for me.

I've run three characters through this section of the story so far. Syvlari Ranger, Charr Thief, Human Warrior.

The Ranger did the whole part without being seen, however with the Charr and Human I decided to have a go trying to get the Genuine Imposter.

Charr did far better with talking his way out of trouble than the Human. I've got 8/10 from him. I did restart the instance three times, but the success rate was far higher than my Human character who didn't manage to add the remaining 2 despite two restarts and encountering all three patrol groups.

I did notice that the icon for the illusion does mention that it doesnt hold up to close scrutiny and to keep a distance. Also the arc shaped vision fields do seem to have marked area at their furthest distance from the NPC.

BTW you do realise you don't have to do it all in one go?

• Like 1

yeah i have seen that guide before = it doesn't work.

@Andy.5981 said:I've run three characters through this section of the story so far. Syvlari Ranger, Charr Thief, Human Warrior.

The Ranger did the whole part without being seen, however with the Charr and Human I decided to have a go trying to get the Genuine Imposter.

Charr did far better with talking his way out of trouble than the Human. I've got 8/10 from him. I did restart the instance three times, but the success rate was far higher than my Human character who didn't manage to add the remaining 2 despite two restarts and encountering all three patrol groups.

I tried it with my engi charr but it was not successful (1 by instance). How do you choose the answers?

I did notice that the icon for the illusion does mention that it doesnt hold up to close scrutiny and to keep a distance. Also the arc shaped vision fields do seem to have marked area at their furthest distance from the NPC.

Hum, i will look at that.

Sure^^ But you have to wait for 2 mins each time you restart it (blabla npc), that's annoying ^^

yeah i have seen that guide before = it doesn't work.

@Andy.5981 said:I've run three characters through this section of the story so far. Syvlari Ranger, Charr Thief, Human Warrior.

I tried it with my engi charr but it was not successful (1 by instance). How do you choose the answers?

Hum, i will look at that.

Sure^^ But you have to wait for 2 mins each time you restart it (blabla npc), that's annoying ^^

The answers I picked on my Charr thief were random but seemed to work more successfully than doing the same thing on my Human Warrior!

I think it probably works the further away from the NPC you are? Perhaps more chance of success if you are at the very edge of their 'field of view'?

• 4 weeks later...

Huh, when I used that guide it had more in it, saying that the glow color of the charr determined the response, eg if you have a heavy armor charr glowing red, the fist of fury response is the correct one. And it worked for me, I got 6/10 in one go and it was just me clumsily getting tagged by other charr meanwhile that had me run out of charr before I got 10.

@Donari.5237 said:Huh, when I used that guide it had more in it, saying that the glow color of the charr determined the response, eg if you have a heavy armor charr glowing red, the fist of fury response is the correct one. And it worked for me, I got 6/10 in one go and it was just me clumsily getting tagged by other charr meanwhile that had me run out of charr before I got 10.

Probably because it was more of a coincidence that it worked out that way so the author removed it. For me it was completely random.

This achievement really is terrible. It's obviously not hard, and there are definitely more tedious achievements. But it's utterly lazy and pointless - you couldn't find a better example of something put in the game just to waste time. They couldn't come up with anything better than this? The correct choice is random, and once you aggro a group you have to beat them, meaning you only get three "tries" per run. And you have to sit through the interminable and unskippable dialogue at the start each time. What made them decide that 10 was the right number for this? Why not just once so you get the experience of doing it and that's it? Why not 3 times? Why make you open this story instance over and over again just to pick a random dialogue option and see if it works?

The only thing you "achieve" doing this is putting up with boredom.

• 4 weeks later...

So to sum it up - the outcome of your choices is completely random. Hitting the very edge of the enemy vision doesn't work, because they approach you 0.5 second after you make contact. The colour of their glow doesn't matter. Your virtue (charm, honor, brute) doesn't matter either. And every time you fail, you have to either defeat 10 enemies and move to the next group, hoping it will turn out better, or restart the mission and waste 2-3 minutes of your time listening to that stupid NPC dialogue. A quest designed to waste your time. Well done.

P.S. Picking charm seems to fail almost every time for me. Maybe it's random, or maybe it means something. I don't know at this point.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

tried getting out of the sight cone. doesn't worktrying with charr doesn't make it more likelypicking same answer as before on same guy doesn't work

only thing that works is finding something you can do while waiting for the dialog and retrying instance an average of ~20 times. worst achievement I've ever seen

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry if I bring this discussion back to life, but it was the only one who came to my aid by remaking the story with another person for this achievement and, after several attempts, I think I can say that we noticed something more to share with everyone, hoping that it will be of help especially in view of the release of the chapter "Jormag Rising" next week! OwO

Basically you should try to respond based on the body language of the person in front of you to take advantage of it (just like an imposter, LOL)! 

Once you have been discovered by a charr you will always be asked the exact same question, but before answering, try to take a few steps (obviously staying close enough to keep the dialog box open) and quickly observe how the charr behaves with you, then:

A) if the charr avoids you by turning around every time you try to make eye contact with him ---> click on the answer preceded by a heart icon ("Important ... mission stuff bla bla bla");

B) if the charr stands still and looks at you without any problem ---> clicked on the answer preceded by a crown icon ("HQ needs me bla bla bla)

C) if the charr looks at you badly and walks towards you like a bodyguard who is about to kick you out of the instance ---> click on the answer preceded by the fist icon ("Pipe down, bla bla bla" ).

At the third and fourth attempts we still had doubts, but at the fifth we seemed to have guessed all the answers following this "behavioral pattern"... Could it have been just luck? Let's hope not, at least those who still have to do it will not go crazy! XD Good luck! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1