Weapon speculations for EoD elite specs

dou.7083

@"Xovian.8572" said:

I'm a bit confused by this. Single hand weapons don't require any more skills than 2-h weapons do, right?

Off-hand: (2 skills for slots 4 and 5) + (3 DW skills for s,d,p) = 5.Main-hand: (2 skills for slots 2 and 3 w/o OH) + (2 DW skills for d,p) + (Skill 1, technically 3 skills if chain) + (Stealth attack) = 6 or 8.2-hand: (4 skills for slots 2, 3, 4, and 5) + (Skill 1, technically 3 skills if chain) + (Stealth attack) = 6 or 8.

For thief adding main hand or off hand adds more then just a single skill set.It also changes the 3rd skill depending on the combination being used, as each specific combination is unique.So it means adding a skill for each weapon that already exists, so they would add another skill for dagger, sword, pistol.In short they wont just add the weapon and one set of 3 skills for primary or one set of 2 skills for OH.

Simply put, while there may be no precedence as another poster put it, adding a single weapon for thief is "more work", thus i conclude them adding a 2h weapon as they have done in the past. I did forget the war hammer, so there are still 3 they could add (not 2). I personally think this is more likely to happen over them adding a single handed weapon.

Again, this is my speculation, i could care less if people agree with it or not.

It seems you missed his point there.

If Anet would create an offhand weapon, then the total sum of skills they have to create is 5 (skill 4 and 5 from the offhand itself, dual wield skills in combination with sword/dagger/pistol respectively).If they create a mainhand weapon, then the number of skills is higher than for an offhand weapon, requiring 6 skills to get designed (auto attack, stealth attack, skill 2 and 3 (if wielded without offhand), dual wield skills for dagger and pistol respectively).

Meanwhile the implementation of another 2handed weapon requires the same amount of skills to get designed like if they created a singlehanded mainhand weapon: 6 (auto attack, stealth attack, skills 2, 3, 4, 5).There is just one case that would end up in more workload for Anet. If they would give thief a singlehanded weapon to dual wield (main AND offhand).

So in other words, as long as Anet doesn't give thief a dual wield (like spellbreaker got with dagger), there is no additional workload for them. Creating an offhand weapon for thief would require even less skills to get designed than for a 2handed weapon, while a mainhand weapon would have the exact same workload.So giving thief just a single mainhand or offhand weapon seems quite possible when it comes to the effort they would have to put into it.

@Kodama.6453 said:

If they create a mainhand weapon, then the number of skills is higher than for an offhand weapon, requiring 6 skills to get designed (auto attack, stealth attack, skill 2 and 3 (if wielded without offhand), dual wield skills for dagger and pistol respectively).

Meanwhile the implementation of another 2handed weapon requires the same amount of skills to get designed like if they created a singlehanded mainhand weapon: 6 (auto attack, stealth attack, skills 2, 3, 4, 5).....So in other words, as long as Anet doesn't give thief a dual wield (like spellbreaker got with dagger), there is no additional workload for them.So 5 and 6 are equal for work load to you?Fine. Whatever.Argue with yourself.

@Xovian.8572 said:

If they create a mainhand weapon, then the number of skills is higher than for an offhand weapon, requiring 6 skills to get designed (auto attack, stealth attack, skill 2 and 3 (if wielded without offhand), dual wield skills for dagger and pistol respectively).

Meanwhile the implementation of another 2handed weapon requires the same amount of skills to get designed like if they created a singlehanded mainhand weapon: 6 (auto attack, stealth attack, skills 2, 3, 4, 5).....So in other words, as long as Anet doesn't give thief a dual wield (like spellbreaker got with dagger), there is no additional workload for them.So 5 and 6 are equal for work load to you?Fine. Whatever.Argue with yourself.

???

I think you are confused.

2handed weapons require 6 new skills.A new mainhand weapon requires 6 new skills.These 2 have the same workload (both 6 skills).

If Anet gives thief an offhand weapon instead, then this means 5 new skills get designed. Which is less workload than giving them a 2handed weapon.So all I am pointing out is: workload is no argument that Anet should give thief yet another 2handed weapon.

@"Xovian.8572" said:So 5 and 6 are equal for work load to you?Fine. Whatever.Argue with yourself.

Qualifying a single extra skill difference on the thief as an extra "workload" feel silly when you consider that elementalist will get more even if it get an off-hand. And elementalists drool over the idea of a 6th attunment, justifying that it wouldn't give them more new skills than weaver. They are expecting more than 30 new skills, what is 12 or 13 new skills for the thief in comparison (Even if, like DE, Anet grant a new set of 9 stolen items)?

@Xovian.8572 said:

If you're only counting 5 skills on a two-hand weapon then you must not be counting the stealth attack, in which case you can't be counting 6 skills for mainhand either. So any way you slice it, two-hand weapons don't end up with fewer skills than either mainhands or offhands.

Something else you've glossed over is the skill 1 basic attack. For melee and some ranged, this can be a multi-step chain. Each skill in the sequence has an animation/fx, icon art, a tooltip, different coefficients/effects. So if we're talking dev work, wouldn't these be considered additional skills?

And all this is even before considering flip skills. These don't affect the comparison since these have been added everywhere, but do you really think the devs chose rifle for Deadeye because of a lower number of skills when they basically doubled the skillbar by adding Kneel?

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the assumption that each class will receive a different weapon type each time and considering the unused playstyles...

Elementalist - 2hand rangedEngineer - off hand rangedRanger - off hand meleeWarrior - main hand rangedGuardian - off hand meleeRevenant - main hand meleeThief - main or off hand meleeMesmer - 2 hand melee or rangedNecromancer - main hand ranged

Although thief got 2 hand weapons both elites so...

@"Arheundel.6451" said:Engineer - off hand ranged

Offhand for engineer is the worst that Anet could possibly do.

Engineer just has 1 mainhand weapon to pair this weapon with, which means that you are hard forced into using pistol/x if you want to use this new weapon. And then it also just adds 2 new weapon skills to engineer, while being so highly limited when it comes to build options.

I really hope that Anet does not consider to do this. Engineer should at least get a mainhand weapon (so we have 2 possible combinations with shield and pistol), better would be a 2handed weapon or even dual wielding a mainhand weapon (dual axes/maces/daggers).

And as you said, thief already debunks this "all classes get different slots for elite specs". If they can get 2 2handed weapons, then there is no reason why engineer shouldn't.Warrior also kinda debunks this additionally, since they got both mainhand and offhand dagger, not just one of them.

Soldier professions-Warrior: Staff (tank)-Guardian: Warhorn, Mistcaller-Revenant: Greatsword (off tank, dps)

Adventurer professions-Engineer: Mace, Tinkerer/Golemancer-Ranger: Shield (tank)-Thief: Shield and OH Sword, Swashbuckler, Duelist ("parry/riposte" tank, condi dps)

Scholar professions-Elementalist: Longbow, Arcane Archer-Mesmer: Dagger, Ritualist (healer, dps)-Necromancer: Sword (tank)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I'd like to see for e-spec weapons;

Guardian: OH sword

Warrior: Staff

Revenant: Scepter

Ranger: Hammer

Thief: Mace

Engineer: Staff/mace*

Mesmer: Dual daggers

Elementalist: Dual pistols

Necromancer: Longbow/shortbow

*I have two different e-spec ideas for engi

Edited by Headcase.4618
  • Confused 1

Elementalist: Rifle

Engineer: OH+MH Focus

Guardian: OH Mace

Mesmer: Hammer (but realistically believe it's more likely to be Shortbow...)

Necromancer: Rifle

Ranger: OH+MH Pistol

Revenant: Greatsword

Thief: OH Axe

Warrior: Staff

Edited by Curunen.8729

I tend to not like speculating on this sort of thing but read through this thread just to see what other people were hoping for.

I primarily only play on a Necromancer and the people hoping that Necros get a bow intrigued me - although I find it hard working it in with the profession. I guess that'd be what the new Elite would be for, though - to make it make sense 😉

Guardian: Dagger, OH Sword or OH Mace.  I'm thinking something like a Ritualist on this one.

Warrior: Staff, although I do feel like Scepter would make more sense than Pistols.

Revenant: Greatsword or Rifle.  Pretty much dependent on what their next legend is.

Engineer: Torch.  While I'm not as knowledgeable of Canthan lore, I do know that the inspiration for the area was most notable in terms of engineering for pyrotechnics, which is why I'm thinking Torch.

Ranger: Rifle or Hammer depending on which direction devs want to take the spec in terms of theme.

Thief: Axe (at least MH) mostly because it's the only melee weapon they don't have yet for that slot.

Elementalist: Mace or Hammer.  Another one dependent on where devs want to take the theme.

Mesmer: Daggers.  I'm honestly expecting Mesmer to get something ninja-like for EoD.

Necromancer: Sword or Mace.  Just guessing on this one.

Elementalist:  Mace OH

- for a cc elite this time

- it's one of the few weapons he don't have now incl. summon weapons 😉

Engineer:  Shortbow

- tech trickster like hawkeye from marvel

- not a melee weapon again 

Guardian:  Sword OH or Warhorn

- next elite could be a fast supporter or agile fighter

Mesmer:  Daggers

- as range weapons with energy thorns

Necromancer:  Longbow (i rly hope for that)

- he need a strong long range weapon (staff is more for support) 

- rifle instead is tech what don't fit

Ranger:  Sword OH or Shield

Revenant:  Scepter + Focus 

- for a magician elite this time, like togo or oracle

Thief:  Axe MH 

- this time it have to be a one hand weapon

Warrior:  Shortbow

- for a fast support elite

• Confused 1

I guess I'm the only one looking forward to them adding an additional weapon to each elite specialization. This would add to build diversity, allow for professions to have more desirable weapons available, and doesn't take anything away from future goals of the newer elite specializations. 

Heavy Armor- Soliders
*Warrior 
-Beserkers use Torch and a main hand Shield 
-Spell Breakers use Dual Daggers and offhand Focus
-Warlord would use Staff and an Offhand Pistol.
*Guardian
-Dragon Hunters use Long Bow and offhand Sword
-Firebrands use main hand Axe and main hand Focus
-Archon could get War Horn and an offhand Scepter.
*Revenant
-Herald uses Shield and Great Sword
-Renegade uses Short Bow and offhand Focus
-Overlord could get main hand Scepter and main hand Pistols.

Medium Armor - Adventurers
*Ranger
-Druid uses Staff and offhand Focus.
-Soulbeast uses main hand Dagger and Rifle
-Warden would use Hammer and offhand Shield.
*Engineer
-Scrapper use Hammer and main hand Mace
-Holosmith use main hand Sword and Staff
-Technomancer would get Great Swords and offhand Focus.
*Thief
-Daredevil use Staff and gets dual Maces
-Deadeye use Rifle and would get offhand Focus
-Inquisitor gets Torch and an offhand Sword

Light Armors- Scholars
*Elementalist
-Tempest has Warhorn and gets an offhand Scepter
-Weaver had main hand Sword and would get main hand Focus
-Magnus Long Bow and Great Sword
*Mesmer
-Chronomancer has Shield and dual Daggers
-Mirage has main hand Axe and main hand Pistol
-Siren gets War Horn and Short Bow
*Necromancer
-Reaper uses Great Sword and Offhand Axe
-Scourge uses Torch and offhand Shield
-Warlock gets Hammer and Rifle

Edited by VocalThought.9835
  • Confused 1

It feels a bit like a lucky dip, but my predictions  guesses are -

Elementalist - Rifle (maybe longbow) - some kind of long range single target anyhow.  I wonder if they'll go with some kind of ammo mechanic (or even the skills being removed right to left like the torches from Bitterfrost) for which charges rest on attunement swap.

Necromancer - Mace (CC oriented), perhaps longbow (I can imagine some lore stuff re the Echovald forest for that).

Mesmer - Daggers (IIRC one of the initial ideas for mesmer was to get daggers and for necro to get greatsword, but they switched before release, I think?) - perhaps a power spec that is a melee/ranged hybrid?

Thief - Focus.  I'm fairly sure it'll be a spec capable of support and will probably also lean to condis rather than power.  In other words, a thief version of scourge, perhaps.  I'd be very surprised if we get another 2H weapon for thief.  The recent buffs to dagger 1 suggest that Anet may not be planning a MH condi weapon IMO.

Engi - Torch?  I can see a lot of possibilities here tbh, but both Holosmith and Scrapper have leant towards power (mostly), so I'd expect some kind of condi spec.  If torch is chosen then I can imagine it being called Pyrotechnician or the like.  OTOH, holosmith has some burning traits, so I may be way off... I can also see sceptre being quite appropriate, with some kind of fusion of tech and magic, and this could also be condi oriented.

Ranger - Shield, at a guess? Maybe sceptre.... I expect it'll be a more pet focussed spec in some way, but not sure how....but hopefully not AI reliant.  Pretty sure it won't be rifle...simply because the ranger already has some OK ranged options.

Revenant - Greatsword.  More of a bruiser spec.  They may go for daggers for a stealth spec (with Vizu as legend), but doubt it.  Won't be support (Herald and Renegade both have that in different ways) and (due to Renegade's condi focus) won't be condi based.  Also, in the release notes, Anet were quite sanguine about Renegade not being strong on power builds, which would make sense if a more power spec is in the wings.  They could go for a "Ritualist" gameplay style with Togo as a legend and sceptre as a weapon, but Renegade's spirits seem to cover that already.

Guardian - Warhorn?  Really not sure on this, but struggle to see rifle or pistol on guardian, and warhorn does feel "on brand" as it were.  Maybe something that forces a guardian to "attune" to one of the 3 virtues, perhaps some kind of overload mechanic?

Warrior - Pistol.  I expect a more mid-range option with some support aspects.  One idea for the mechanic could be some alternate burst skills (or maybe even utilities) that rely on adrenaline.

One of the things that partially informed my selections was those weapons that don't yet have an elite spec associated with them.  They are ....Focus, Mace, Pistol & Sceptre (excluding underwater), so I imagine that Anet will try to do something with those.

• Like 1

elementalist got an offhand and a main hand with the two previous specs so a two hands now:

longbow or riffle or hammer if we don't take conjure as posibility.

We still mis earth and arcane spec (air to if tempest is water and air)

earth will be probably a off support hammer spec pvp in melee aoe (pls no it's will be usless in instanced content)

arcane will probably also a off support but a distance single target one with a riffle or longbow (pls yes, i don't want a hammer the two handed ele spec)

guardian only miss melee power dps and main healer, (dh is distance dps yes i know) so since it's already got mainhaind and two handed weapons probably warhorn for main healer or offdagguer for dps melee.

don't play enough the others class so can't speculate.

On 5/6/2021 at 6:01 PM, Jijimuge.4675 said:

Engi - Torch?  I can see a lot of possibilities here tbh, but both Holosmith and Scrapper have leant towards power (mostly), so I'd expect some kind of condi spec.  If torch is chosen then I can imagine it being called Pyrotechnician or the like.  OTOH, holosmith has some burning traits, so I may be way off... I can also see sceptre being quite appropriate, with some kind of fusion of tech and magic, and this could also be condi oriented.

I see this suggested for engineer quite often and thematically, I can see why. With all the blowtorch skins for torches in the game, it seems like a fitting weapon for engineer.

However, thematic is not the only thing to consider here and I think that engineer definitely shouldn't get an offhand weapon with the elite spec.

Offhand weapons provide just new weapons skills. By itself, this is not really so bad, considering that you can at least combine that weapon with an arsenal of mainhand weapons to create many different builds.

But this doesn't work with the engineer. Engineer just has 1 mainhand weapon in core, pistol. So if we get an offhand weapon, then using this weapon for builds will hard lock us into pistol/torch (in this case), which is obviously terrible for build diversity.

In my opinion, engineer should at least get a mainhand weapon, if not dual wielded weapons (mainhand and offhand dagger/axe/mace) or a 2handed weapon.