Tips to Become a Fearsome Ranger of Roaming Devastation (and friendly wvw love)

Choppy.4183

@FrownyClown.8402 said:

@FrownyClown.8402 said:Zephyrite runes is an interesting choice if you build around it too

I didn't even know those existed. While more superspeed looks fun, I'm not sure it could compete with permanent +66% speed. Better for bursts, I suppose, and cheaper runes too.

I think speed rune got nerfed to 50% might be pvp only

Yep, just pvp. Remains to be seen if they extend that to wvw, but fingers crossed that they don't.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't particularly enjoy skirmishing against good players with a glassy power build. Maybe it's just a style thing, I don't know. They will projectile-hate or LOS the ranged burst, spike you with condis, and stick on you. For 1v1's, or situations where people aren't paying attention to you, I think it's fine. Good Holos, Thieves, DH's, and Revs are a nightmare. Picking off zerglings as they're running back to suckle the zerg teat is trivial.

I've really been enjoying condi SB and Druid builds for serious skirmishing and dueling. Both with a combination of Dire and Apothecary gear. Both provide amazing support if you're roaming with buddies via healing and immobilizing. The SB will be doing a lot more damage and overall feels sturdier because of Dolyak Stance, whereas the Druid is there for dazes and Hentai spam. Both are best played with Trapper Runes, although they're not at all required.

Tldr: for roaming and small gang engagements, sustainey condi builds feel superior.

@mistsim.2748 said:I don't particularly enjoy skirmishing against good players with a glassy power build. Maybe it's just a style thing, I don't know. They will projectile-hate or LOS the ranged burst, spike you with condis, and stick on you. For 1v1's, or situations where people aren't paying attention to you, I think it's fine. Good Holos, Thieves, DH's, and Revs are a nightmare. Picking off zerglings as they're running back to suckle the zerg teat is trivial.

I've really been enjoying condi SB and Druid builds for serious skirmishing and dueling. Both with a combination of Dire and Apothecary gear. Both provide amazing support if you're roaming with buddies via healing and immobilizing. The SB will be doing a lot more damage and overall feels sturdier because of Dolyak Stance, whereas the Druid is there for dazes and Hentai spam. Both are best played with Trapper Runes, although they're not at all required.

Tldr: for roaming and small gang engagements, sustainey condi builds feel superior.

Thanks for that. I actually started with condi builds on ranger, but found thieves ate my lunch pretty quickly, and the lack of mobility prevented escapes when things got hot. I can see how the extra stealth from Trapper runes could help with that though.

My latest jam has been a super glassy build, and it's been pretty fun. True, if you get focused, it gets rough, but the stealth I do have, plus mobility, evades, and eventually damage pressure (when I shake some heat) make it worthwhile.

Druid remains the one line I haven't really explored yet. I mostly solo roam, and I just don't like what is has to offer for what I'm giving up. And yet, I can't deny the three selectable traits are yummy.

@Choppy.4183 said:

@mistsim.2748 said:I don't particularly enjoy skirmishing against good players with a glassy power build. Maybe it's just a style thing, I don't know. They will projectile-hate or LOS the ranged burst, spike you with condis, and stick on you. For 1v1's, or situations where people aren't paying attention to you, I think it's fine. Good Holos, Thieves, DH's, and Revs are a nightmare. Picking off zerglings as they're running back to suckle the zerg teat is trivial.

Thanks for that. I actually started with condi builds on ranger, but found thieves ate my lunch pretty quickly, and the lack of mobility prevented escapes when things got hot. I can see how the extra stealth from Trapper runes could help with that though.

My latest jam has been a super glassy build, and it's been pretty fun. True, if you get focused, it gets rough, but the stealth I do have, plus mobility, evades, and eventually damage pressure (when I shake some heat) make it worthwhile.

Druid remains the one line I haven't really explored yet. I mostly solo roam, and I just don't like what is has to offer for what I'm giving up. And yet, I can't deny the three selectable traits are yummy.

It's pretty easy to build, you can check out Vallun's roaming guide. Mix of Trailblazer and Apothecary, and it does great in 1vX.

On the SB, I run with Snow Owl. So you always have a 1200 disengage, and a 5500 heal with resistance (plus the regular heal). You get two stealths + SS from Healing Spring and Poison Trap, and Dolyak is pretty god tier. I haven't lost to any thief 1v1 because of my sustain and immense condi pressure, although they can always leave if they want.

@"mistsim.2748" said:I don't particularly enjoy skirmishing against good players with a glassy power build. Maybe it's just a style thing, I don't know. They will projectile-hate or LOS the ranged burst, spike you with condis, and stick on you. For 1v1's, or situations where people aren't paying attention to you, I think it's fine. Good Holos, Thieves, DH's, and Revs are a nightmare. Picking off zerglings as they're running back to suckle the zerg teat is trivial.

Can you post a build for your condi SB? I’ve been mostly an open word player using Lord Hizens build with d/d and d/t and all trailblazers. I’ve been enjoying smaller skirmishes on WvW and roaming and want to get into it more without having to re-gear. I do have an ascended SB to use instead of the torch.

I’ve tried this one even though it’s for pvp but it works decently well. It sounds like some things might have been changed since the updates:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/gbmb49/condition_soulbeast_pvp_build_guide/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_title

Thanks!

@OneJune.9126 said:

@"mistsim.2748" said:I don't particularly enjoy skirmishing against good players with a glassy power build. Maybe it's just a style thing, I don't know. They will projectile-hate or LOS the ranged burst, spike you with condis, and stick on you. For 1v1's, or situations where people aren't paying attention to you, I think it's fine. Good Holos, Thieves, DH's, and Revs are a nightmare. Picking off zerglings as they're running back to suckle the zerg teat is trivial.

Can you post a build for your condi SB? I’ve been mostly an open word player using Lord Hizens build with d/d and d/t and all trailblazers. I’ve been enjoying smaller skirmishes on WvW and roaming and want to get into it more without having to re-gear. I do have an ascended SB to use instead of the torch.

I’ve tried this one even though it’s for pvp but it works decently well. It sounds like some things might have been changed since the updates:

Thanks!

yup that's the one I use! spvp, and small skirmishes in wvw. should win any 1v1.

@mistsim.2748 said:

@"OneJune.9126" said:I’ve tried this one even though it’s for pvp but it works decently well. It sounds like some things might have been changed since the updates:

Thanks!

yup that's the one I use! spvp, and small skirmishes in wvw. should win any 1v1.

Out of curiosity, have you made any changes to this build based on your experience? I really want to make Condi Soulbeast work, and I ended up building a very similar build to this one before I found this thread. (Mine was more stance focused, and used Sic ‘em for some burst instead of Poison Trap.)

@Dao Jones.6720 said:

@"OneJune.9126" said:I’ve tried this one even though it’s for pvp but it works decently well. It sounds like some things might have been changed since the updates:

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, have you made any changes to this build based on your experience? I really want to make Condi Soulbeast work, and I ended up building a very similar build to this one before I found this thread. (Mine was more stance focused, and used Sic ‘em for some burst instead of Poison Trap.)

The only change I made was adding about 700 healing power because in wvw you can. I didn't build for condi duration, instead I used Dire + Apothecary and it was great.

You pretty much want Snow Owl all the time for the heal and disengage, although if you wanna just bunker down in one place, Jacaranda is better. Alpine Wolf against power builds.

I went with Healing Spring for the 3 leap finishers, poison trap, Entangle, Dolyak is necessary, and vulture.

In terms of runes, Thorns will give you the most pure damage, but Trapper will allow more resets.