[Trait Idea] Melee Damage on Meditations/Stun on Judge’s Intervention?

GuriGashi.5617

As Power Guardians have a terrible match-up against most roamers and sidenoders in the current meta how about giving Power Guards, who use Greatsword/Hammer a buff in form of a trait?It could be a Master trait in Valor, replace Strength in Numbers and work great with the GM trait Monks Focus.

Guardians have extremely bad bursts, which restrict our movement in some form of way and eat alot of skills in order to execute. It would be extremely nice, if that one burst had more reward behind it, when successfully landed, especially considering that Smite Condition got nerfed so much in terms of damage, that it can‘t be used in your burst anymore, like it used to be. It would also offer a way for follow-up damage which is usually quite hard to land through our bad mobility and since symbols got nerfed.

A different option would be to make the damage more consistent to land by giving Judge’s Intervention a 1 second, non-AoE stun and removing the 1 stack of burn, as Judge’s Intervention is, if equipped, used in power builds and the burn seems extremely out of place. The skill also has a rather high cooldown (40s untraited) and can‘t simply be spammed. A stun every 40 seconds seems not like the most meta breaking mechanic or unfair under the consideration that Power Guards run around at 11K HP and are quite squishy.

No matter which option, it would make current 1v1 match-ups not as bad and Power Guards a little more attractive as slow roamers.

@Obtena.7952 said:I don't see a purpose to proposing changes to chase an evolving meta just to make something specific work better.

You personally not seeing purpose in it won‘t make Power Guards more viable in 1v1 or make 100-0 match-up‘s against the mentioned classes more possible, no matter in which way the meta evolves. Power Guard is a 11K HP spec, with low mobility and hard to hit bursts. It would also offer a way for Guardians to swap from Traps back to power based Meditations

Also I don‘t understand why you have to leave a negative comment behind on every thread that talks about possible Guardian buffs. Not the first time

@snoow.1694 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:I don't see a purpose to proposing changes to chase an evolving meta just to make something specific work better.

You personally not seeing purpose in it won‘t make Power Guards more viable in 1v1 or make 100-0 match-up‘s against the mentioned classes more possible, no matter in which way the meta evolves. Power Guard is a 11K HP spec, with low mobility and hard to hit bursts. It would also offer a way for Guardians to swap from Traps back to power based Meditations

I'm not objecting to the proposal because I don't believe that what you are proposing won't do what you want it to do.

Also I don‘t understand ...

In this case, there are 3 reasons I'm opposed to the change:

1. it's not a problem that something specific (Power Guardians) doesn't compete with some other specific thing in a certain game mode
  2. the changes you propose/imply do NOT only impact WvW which you appear to be targeting
  3. it's futile to make changes so things 'compete' with a continuously evolving meta

Judge is already a long range teleport with no LoS restriction, it's plenty strong.Yu could also channel windups into Judge's so yu can already land a CC or something similar

A popular combo is to use a Soaring Devastation together with Judge and force the target to eat a 3s Immob for a good burst combo.Another popular combo is to windup Spear and use Judge to surprise someone who may fail to dodge it.

I don't think Judges needs more other than maybe a slight cooldown shave down to 30s while traited.

@otto.5684 said:This is weak and very situational. I much rather have them fix the poor weapon scaling in pvp than trying to tie modifiers to one utility skill.

Disagree, has nothing to so with weapon scaling, since weapons like GS and Longbow on DH hit pretty hard. They could buff the damage by 20% and Power Guard would still be bad.Problem with Power Guards is having a single burst skill per weapon set, which is in some form of way movement restricted (like GS2 or LB2, SW3, Hammer 2) - rest is support, small symbols or control effects - meaning you can land your initial burst by using alot of resources from your skillbar, but have pretty much no follow-up damage after that to confirm a kill against classes like Core Necro with essentially 50K HP on Carrion Amulet. Not only is your pressure 0 after that one burst with Judges Intervention, but if you don‘t land it, which is highly probable, you are a 11K zerker freekill with 0 mobility and half your skillbar on cooldown.I personally would prefer damage on meditations in order to have follow-up pressure or a stun on JI in order to confirm bursts over a damage modifier buff for every single skill, which won‘t solve a single problem the class has and is in fact the „weak“ approach. Even before HoT was released and Power Guard was „kinda meta“, Smite Condition was used as a way of follow-up damage, critting for 3-4K, because even back then Guardians struggled to land that one initial burst against high level players through our bad class design.It is not the „low“ damage on our burst that causes these problems, but the time between the burst. Where Power Revs have 5 skills with high damage and which enhance your movement on Power Herald with double Sword and Spellbreakers have 2 engages and high damage on every skill with Greatsword, you can make a Power Guard miss their entire low-mobility burst and make them useless for 9 seconds until the next weapon swap by simply dodging twice. No weapon scaling will fix that.