Roaming as a support ?

Support Scrapper does great in small scale roaming. I normally solo roam on holo but if i come across a small fight say 3 people fighting 3 or more enemies at a camp i usually switch to scrapper. Its a force multiplier. More useful to the group than if i stayed as a dps holo even in disorganized roaming fights.

It's very effective and extremely boring because it's such a huge advantage as you have massive control over downed states, so disorganized players have a hard time taking out people that weren't rallybots in the first place.

Support scrapper and tempest is pretty standard. Scrapper gyro and health pretty much renders some people unkillable. Firebrand is ok, but generally not as effective since they have longer cooldowns than the former two as well as lacking mobility.

@"ArchonWing.9480" said:Support scrapper and tempest is pretty standard. Scrapper gyro and health pretty much renders some people unkillable. Firebrand is ok, but generally not as effective since they have longer cooldowns than the former two as well as lacking mobility.Not as effective doesnt really matter when either effectivly make a 3-5 man group unkillable by anything but a much larger group. Firebrand offer more offensive power for the rest if they run quickness. Most groups "big enough" for a firebrand generally have a scrapper as well anyway. Tempest is a little rarer but I do consider them superior in duos.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"ArchonWing.9480" said:Support scrapper and tempest is pretty standard. Scrapper gyro and health pretty much renders some people unkillable. Firebrand is ok, but generally not as effective since they have longer cooldowns than the former two as well as lacking mobility.Not as effective doesnt really matter when either effectivly make a 3-5 man group unkillable by anything but a much larger group. Firebrand offer more offensive power for the rest if they run quickness. Most groups "big enough" for a firebrand generally have a scrapper as well anyway. Tempest is a little rarer but I do consider them superior in duos.

I just find Firebrand supports easier to isolate or make irrelevant in small scale especially if you make them blow off their tomes. Scrappers are just better healers too and give stealth which is the biggest advantage in these cases. Firebrand does give more stability/stunbreak of course but I find that much less of an issue until numbers get bigger.

But you have a point. That's why I don't like roaming as support or with them unless we're outnumbered or the enemy has their own cheese spam

I enjoy doing out-of-squad support scrapper. I don't join in when it's basically equal number skirmishes. However, I do help out when the enemy zerg outnumbers by spreading some random cleanse/heals and popping detection field while the enemy stealths. All of this done out of squad.

@lockhart.6048 said:I enjoy doing out-of-squad support scrapper. I don't join in when it's basically equal number skirmishes. However, I do help out when the enemy zerg outnumbers by spreading some random cleanse/heals and popping detection field while the enemy stealths. All of this done out of squad.

Well, better to make it unfair for your side. :P

I like to run minstrel tempest and roam with a few people. They call me their pocket healer. I have no dps, but I can run decent cc's. Mostly I'm there to keep the burst classes from taking out my friends so quickly. I'm especially useful for those "I shall taunt you again" moments when we may be harassing some pugs at SMC walls that won't come out far from their cannons and mortars. But I also love playing support, so I don't find it so boring. Scrapper support...boring. FB, not so bad. Tempest is my favorite.

@"Grey Mane.9487" said:I like to run minstrel tempest and roam with a few people. They call me their pocket healer. I have no dps, but I can run decent cc's. Mostly I'm there to keep the burst classes from taking out my friends so quickly. I'm especially useful for those "I shall taunt you again" moments when we may be harassing some pugs at SMC walls that won't come out far from their cannons and mortars. But I also love playing support, so I don't find it so boring. Scrapper support...boring. FB, not so bad. Tempest is my favorite.

I like all the supports, just trying to figure out what is best against the curring roaming meta.

@GoldenPants.1870 said:

@"Grey Mane.9487" said:I like to run minstrel tempest and roam with a few people. They call me their pocket healer. I have no dps, but I can run decent cc's. Mostly I'm there to keep the burst classes from taking out my friends so quickly. I'm especially useful for those "I shall taunt you again" moments when we may be harassing some pugs at SMC walls that won't come out far from their cannons and mortars. But I also love playing support, so I don't find it so boring. Scrapper support...boring. FB, not so bad. Tempest is my favorite.

I like all the supports, just trying to figure out what is best against the curring roaming meta.

For what it's worth, Minstrel Tempest is hands down my least favorite support to fight against when I am roaming solo or with a friend. I find them the best at shifting and pushing offensive momentum against me with the lockdown options they have. Additionally you can trait for stuff like a port, invulns, a rezz, etc, which can all be really clutch. Although Scrapper is a good support, I don't actually fear them at all like I do a good Minstrel Tempest.

@Mogwai.4015 said:

For what it's worth, Minstrel Tempest is hands down my least favorite support to fight against when I am roaming solo or with a friend. I find them the best at shifting and pushing offensive momentum against me with the lockdown options they have. Additionally you can trait for stuff like a port, invulns, a rezz, etc, which can all be really clutch. Although Scrapper is a good support, I don't actually fear them at all like I do a good Minstrel Tempest.

I do have a minstrel tempest. :triumph:

Support Scrapper is near unkillable in a 1v1 situation roaming and can easily handle 1vX. Full supportive Druids can also be impossible to kill with their immob spam and stealth options. Those would be my top two "support" builds to go for. Support Tempest is also decent but usually crumbles if you get attacked by more than one player. While they're not full support, you can also get some results out of a Sustain based Warrior and Core Necromancers can be built to be so sustain and tanky that they can't be killed in a 1v1.

Have fun running around till your opponent gives up and leaves or you manage to outlast every single one of their cooldowns.

EDIT: Guess I should specify that above info is for solo roaming as support. If you're running in a group, Tempest is probably the best option.

Just wanted to chime in related to my comment above.

I'm finding the Minstrel Immob Druid super effective in small gang engagements. You can isolate targets with Ancient Seeds, rez very quickly, burst heal, cleanse, give stealth and superspeed to allies, and are unkillable. I believe you have the highest burst heal in the game, something like 13k in about 1.5s, which can be another life for your squad. Projectile hate and crazy mobility from staff are also super useful.

@mistsim.2748 said:Just wanted to chime in related to my comment above.

I'm finding the Minstrel Immob Druid super effective in small gang engagements. You can isolate targets with Ancient Seeds, rez very quickly, burst heal, cleanse, give stealth and superspeed to allies, and are unkillable. I believe you have the highest burst heal in the game, something like 13k in about 1.5s, which can be another life for your squad. Projectile hate and crazy mobility from staff are also super useful.

Really ? I've only heard about condi druid builds for WvW, and I only recall people callling druid support bad.

Condi bunker + support bunker ist actually the smallscale roaming meta. It's so easy and effective against unorganized encounters, that it's embarrassing, but of course this doesn't stop people from playing it.

Solo roaming on a support build ist kinda pointless for my personal standards. You might kill some overextending noobs on bad builds. Nevertheless I see people playing this as being unkillable is more important to some players than being able to kill anything else than a bronze division skill level encounter.

@GoldenPants.1870 said:

Really ? I've only heard about condi druid builds for WvW, and I only recall people callling druid support bad.

A good rule to go by is to not listen to others and just try it yourself. If you enjoy it, go for it. I found my Minstrel Druid to be very effective, but mileage will vary I suppose.

@mistsim.2748 said:

A good rule to go by is to not listen to others and just try it yourself. If you enjoy it, go for it. I found my Minstrel Druid to be very effective, but mileage will vary I suppose.

What's the build you are using ? If you want to share it that is !

@GoldenPants.1870 said:

What's the build you are using ? If you want to share it that is !

I don't mind! http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEwEmpsBGDjjFyOxTa6vVXybuC-zRRYjRHDJ4DJTJQvigqVC2dW87aD-e

For small gangs you're pretty much unkillable. It's a mix of offensive and defensive support. You can immob, give aoe stealth + SS, give some minor boons and cleanses, Rez someone in under a second, and most importantly heal your squad for a ton. Staff 5 gives some projectile hate which is nice. It's a pain to kill and unlike Firebrand, you can leave the fight if you want.

For zergs, you just rearrange a few traits in Druid, and go Skirm instead of WS.

Speaking as a thief main, tempest is usually the support that I find hardest to deal with. They usually can't kill me unless I decide to stick around and force the fight, but they're much harder to kill than scrappers and firebrands so I'm much more likely to end up overextending and getting punished for it.