Almost 8 months since EoD trailer. When is the next teaser/reveal?

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Either news about EoD was slow to be assimilated, or some other reason for an uptick in revenue. Gem Store offerings? Sales on expansions?

You already mentioned that EoD announcement was in 12th of
March
. That's at the very end of Q1, so obviously the results wouldn't have been felt until Q2.

Which is why I listed Q2, Q3 and Q4. And said what I said.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is. We all consider GW2 one of the great MMORPGs out there.But at this pace FFXIV will release it's expansion before GW2, and they announced it just a few months ago, like 2 or 3. And the playerbase has a very good idea of what is coming, since well, XIV is a game of consistency and very strict schedules.

I don't know how bad/low is the resources directed towards the development of GW2, but the lack of content, frecuency of it and lack of consistency in their updates is like a great flaw in order to keep us player actively playing and thus, purchasing/consuming. Since i heard about the new expansion months ago, i would think there would be at least a website already showing more than 4 pieces of concept arts. Like we could have at least some reveals, maybe one new elite per month. Some of the assets being added to the game. Hints about new gameplay mechanics.

Though if anything, i think Anet needs to restructure the content delivery to be more streamlined and more consistent. And to salvage several parts of the game that are basically abandoned... How about you finish the Super Adventure box for example... I know it has nothing to do with the expansion, but illustrates my point about the great flaw of their development cycles: Consistency. The lack of it.

@"Doggie.3184" said:I'm looking forward to seeing the tons of new Medium Armor sets that look just like the GW1 Assassin armor from Cantha without any unnessary addons/alterations like stapled on buttcapes. It's basically a "100% must happen" type of thing that will make or break the game so I'm positive there'll be tons of awesome skin-tight Thief skins to bring back that "gotta go fast" look of GW1 Assassins. So excited to finally get this after 3145 days of waiting, not including the future days wait till release. Thanks Anet for putting in so much hard work to restore such beautiful Canthan armor. The Luxon Assassin armor is especially fantastic. I wonder if their giant turtles will still around to ride while wearing it.

Is this your first new expansion? They don't introduce many new skins with the expansion, although you can expect them to be in the gem store.

I'm hoping for a new race a new personal story line, and am baffled why it took 8yrs to capitalize on the best areas in GW1. Cantha and the Jade sea were amazing environments. I personally, never really liked Nightfall, but they have extracted the heck out of that.

Without a new race or at least a new personal story entrance to the game, I don't see that experienced players would have any real reason to create a new character ever again. What do you do when you have a character of each race and each class?

I also think it would be nice to see more concept art. For HoT they had people drooling over the revenant because it was being demoed. We'd see hints of new areas.

@"Doggie.3184" said:I'm looking forward to seeing the tons of new Armor sets that look just like the GW1 Assassin armor from Cantha without any unnessary addons/alterations like stapled on buttcapes. It's basically a "100% must happen" type of thing that will make or break the game so I'm positive there'll be tons of awesome skin-tight Thief skins to bring back that "gotta go fast" look of GW1 Assassins. So excited to finally get this after 3145 days of waiting, not including the future days wait till release. Thanks Anet for putting in so much hard work to restore such beautiful Canthan armor. The Luxon Assassin armor is especially fantastic. I wonder if their giant turtles will still around to ride while wearing it.

Based on the last two expansions:

-We'll be lucky to get three-At least one of them will be a grotesquely over designed trench coat mess of spikes/blades that looked good as concept art but fails utterly to present itself in 3D-One will probably be pretty okay but will be a huge pain in the butt to get, disproportionate to how fancy it is-The last set will be nice but also much more so than the others such that EVERYONE will be running around in it

@Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:PoF and HoT didnt take this long for extra content of what to expect. After that small teaser the hype is gone and this game feels stale as it always had without something new worth holding onto. Get-into-gear anet.

im sure you can muster 3 skills that work just fine on one elite spec to show per week. like the chronomancer had for HoT.

That wasn't a trailer BTW. That was an teaser.

A teaser is a short trailer that doesn't give away any plot details but gives us a glimpse of the tone and characters of the movie. A trailer is a video that sometimes gives us some of the plot details, normally 30 seconds to 2 minutes and 30 seconds, but can vary

@Grand Marshal.4098 said:Only reason the first trailer was released so early was because Anet saw that GW2 didn't make enough money and used the expac tactic to keep us hooked until then so we can all buy the gemstore stuff released until EoD.

I'd say don't expect anything but a small teaser for the prelude of the expac by the end of the abomination known as Champions.

Well, everyone was saying they had gone into maintenance mode, so they had to save face.

Naturally, they are going to wait for the end of Champions to start hyping up EoD.

@Substance E.4852 said:Based on the last two expansions:-At least one of them will be a grotesquely over designed trench coat mess of spikes/blades that looked good as concept art but fails utterly to present itself in 3D

LOL yeah, with the bladed and the bounty hunter sets (HoT ~ PoF) im not very optimistic about the ingame armour they plan to include at the expansion's launch. elonian/spearmarshal (PoF) was nice and warbeast (PoF) looked nice on light classes but that's about it in my opinion, the rest of the sets on HoT/PoF launch were unremarkable or ugly.

but yeah maybe they might give us really good canthan inspired (asian) and kurzick/luxon style armour sets so im not completely 100% negative about it lol

@Fueki.4753 said:Arenanet most likely announced the expansion as some kind of emergency button after they realized that Season 5 is a massive failure.I wouldn't be surprised if they currently don't have anything that is ready for presentation.

When Anet announced the Season 5 as the Icebrood Saga they had much bigger plans for the Saga and no plans for an expansion.

According to someone from Anet: During working on Season 5 someone in (higher) management decided, as a surprise to the devs, to make an expansion. So they had to (somehow) cancel all/most unfinished work on Season 5 (and work on the expansion) but still try to end the story arc of Season 5 like it was planned.

So I guess, they did not announce the expansion because of a massive failure of Season 5 but because the decision of making an expansion was not made earlier. And probably because of that management decision Season 5 became this much bigger failure than if would have been without shifting all resources to the expansion.

@Zok.4956 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:Arenanet most likely announced the expansion as some kind of emergency button after they realized that Season 5 is a massive failure.I wouldn't be surprised if they currently don't have anything that is ready for presentation.

When Anet announced the Season 5 as the Icebrood Saga they had much bigger plans for the Saga and no plans for an expansion.

According to someone from Anet: During working on Season 5 someone in (higher) management decided, as a surprise to the devs, to make an expansion. So they had to (somehow) cancel all/most unfinished work on Season 5 (and work on the expansion) but still try to end the story arc of Season 5 like it was planned.

So I guess, they did not announce the expansion because of a massive failure of Season 5 but because the decision of making an expansion was not made earlier. And probably because of that management decision Season 5 became this much bigger failure than if would have been without shifting all resources to the expansion.It's very likely, actually, that the decision made by management
was
due to how Season 5 got received. It might have surprised the devs working on it, but, remember, they were devs, not higher management, and they probably did
not
have access to many of the informations - like the business ones, for example.

And as for "much bigger plans for Season 5", that was almost certainly nothing more than few more maps comparable to those we've already got (there was 6 spots reserved in the map book if i remember right?). They almost certainly didn;t plan anything bigger than that. And of the "expansion level content" they said they were going to deliver, i'm quite sure we've already seen the most of it. We've just didn't notice, because it didn't seem "expansion worthy" to us.The feature we didn't get yet is probably the legendary armoury....and Alliances. We can't forget about Alliances. Those are surely riiight behind the corner.

@Zok.4956 said:When Anet announced the Season 5 as the Icebrood Saga they had much bigger plans for the Saga and no plans for an expansion.So I guess, they did not announce the expansion because of a massive failure of Season 5 but because the decision of making an expansion was not made earlier. And probably because of that management decision Season 5 became this much bigger failure than if would have been without shifting all resources to the expansion.

I think so, too. I just hope they will get enough time to produce something formidable, else I'm going to cry. :cry:

While it's a shame the IBS had to suffer from this, I applaud whoever was responsible for that decision of making another expansion. I am so sick and tired of Living World that I welcome a complete product release - spoon feeding isn't my thing when it comes to story-telling.

@Bristingr.5034 said:

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:"Emergency Button" Are you serious ? I strongly disagree. The game is doing fine.

No it kinda wasnt. It would be dead without the cantha announcement.It lost a lot of revenue after ibs announcement.

Then maybe it should have focused on other areas than a terrible storyline.... like WvW!

I fairly sure that, as bad as IBS was, it still made then tons more revenue than WvW would.

The difference between WvW and sPvP in this game is that WvW still has a very weak, faint pulse while sPvP is medically certified dead. Other than that, neither are anywhere remotely near the same league as PvE.

Focusing on WvW or sPvP instead of LWS or some or whatever PvE content would be straight up financial suicide for Anet.

@Konrad Curze.5130 said:Focusing on WvW or sPvP instead of LWS or some or whatever PvE content would be straight up financial suicide for Anet.

if it's not a moba, battle-royale, or team-based competitive type of game then PvP of any kind is usually a niche audience especially for mmorpgs.

for modern mmos, usually PvE or co-operative play is the more popular game mode. all the big names out there (FFXIV, WOW, ESO) know this and have it as their primary focus and GW2 is no different -- because it's what earns more money.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Zok.4956 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:Arenanet most likely announced the expansion as some kind of emergency button after they realized that Season 5 is a massive failure.I wouldn't be surprised if they currently don't have anything that is ready for presentation.

So I guess, they did not announce the expansion because of a massive failure of Season 5 but because the decision of making an expansion was not made earlier. And probably because of that management decision Season 5 became this much bigger failure than if would have been without shifting all resources to the expansion.It's very likely, actually, that the decision made by management
was
due to how Season 5 got received.

It is very likely that the management decision to make an expansion was made in November 2019 (game director Mike Z., who announced the Icebrood Saga with expansion level/worthy content at the PAX West 2019, likely left the company in November 2019). At this time only the Prologue: Bound by Blood episode and maybe also the Whisper in the Dark episode were released. Both episodes were shorter than usual/expected and maybe suffered from the massive layoffs in 2019.

I think it is not very likely that the decision of making an expansion is based only on how only one or two episodes (and the prologue episode was mostly well received) are received.

And as for "much bigger plans for Season 5" (...) And of the "expansion level content" they said they were going to deliver, i'm quite sure we've already seen the most of it. We've just didn't notice, because it didn't seem "expansion worthy" to us.

I did not see much "expansion worthy" content in the Icebrood Saga. But we probably will never know which parts of the EoD expansion were originally developed/planned for the Icebrood Saga but were shifted/moved to the expansion before release.

And because the remaining, thinned out, shortened, Icebrood Saga was not very well received, Anet had to make the announcement of an expansion early in development in March 2020.

@"Zok.4956" said:It is very likely that the management decision to make an expansion was made in November 2019 (game director Mike Z., who announced the Icebrood Saga with expansion level/worthy content at the PAX West 2019, likely left the company in November 2019). At this time only the Prologue: Bound by Blood episode and maybe also the Whisper in the Dark episode were released. Both episodes were shorter than usual/expected and maybe suffered from the massive layoffs in 2019.As far as we know the decision was made shortly before we've got first info about it, which was few months later than that. First, that was the whole point of the announcement then - they had nothing to tell us yet, except "we've decided to do an expansion after all". The whole point of that info was to be released as soon as possible, so it's unlikely it got delayed by a few months. Also, it was around then that (as we heard) the devs working on IBS got informed about it too. Again, there was no point in making a decision and sitting on it for few months without informing the people that were supposed to be working on it.

And as for "much bigger plans for Season 5" (...) And of the "expansion level content" they said they were going to deliver, i'm quite sure we've already seen the most of it. We've just didn't notice, because it didn't seem "expansion worthy" to
us

I did not see much "expansion worthy" content in the Icebrood Saga.Yes. That's my point. Remember, according to Anet,
LS 2
was an "expansion level content". I haven't seen it then as well.

How many months/weeks really useful info was posted prior HoT/PoF releases? Searching ytube and i see for example PoF specs in August, when release was in end of September. However there were huge presentation in PAX con earlier that year, but nowadays these events dont even happen anymore (irl). They might do something like IBS virtual reveal on twitch maybe.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@"Doggie.3184" said:I'm looking forward to seeing the
tons
of new Armor sets that look just like the GW1 Assassin armor from Cantha without any unnessary addons/alterations like stapled on buttcapes. It's basically a "100% must happen" type of thing that will make or break the game so I'm positive there'll be tons of awesome skin-tight Thief skins to bring back that "gotta go fast" look of GW1 Assassins. So excited to finally get this after 3145 days of waiting, not including the future days wait till release. Thanks Anet for putting in so much hard work to restore such beautiful Canthan armor. The Luxon Assassin armor is especially fantastic. I wonder if their giant turtles will still around to ride while wearing it.

-We'll be lucky to get three-At least one of them will be a grotesquely over designed trench coat mess of spikes/blades that looked good as concept art but fails utterly to present itself in 3D-One will probably be pretty okay but will be a huge pain in the butt to get, disproportionate to how fancy it is-The last set will be nice but also much more so than the others such that EVERYONE will be running around in it

It's Cantha~ throwbacks to GW1 are intensely important in this case more than ever and will be their most ambicious project yet. Thief will finally return to it's Assassin style roots because why wouldn't it? It's Cantha. Anet also clearly want to compete with FFXIV with how much they been copying them lately with boss mechanics and they can't do that without finally flooding the game with awesome looking armor skins. So it'd be expansion suicide to not add all the awesome Canthan armor styles so I'm positive they aren't aiming to disappoint this time because I assume they still love us Canthan GW1 players and love our money. ?

They're already celebrating their style direction change by preemptivly adding the basic Seitung assassin armor set as an outfit, but Xpan will be all armor skins, ofc. Because they want this expansion to be as much of an impressive game changing masterpiece to GW2 as they can, like Shadowbringers was to FFXIV.

@Substance E.4852 said:

tons
of new Armor sets that look just like the GW1 Assassin armor from Cantha without any unnessary addons/alterations like stapled on buttcapes. It's basically a "100% must happen" type of thing that will make or break the game so I'm positive there'll be tons of awesome skin-tight Thief skins to bring back that "gotta go fast" look of GW1 Assassins. So excited to finally get this after 3145 days of waiting, not including the future days wait till release. Thanks Anet for putting in so much hard work to restore such beautiful Canthan armor. The Luxon Assassin armor is especially fantastic. I wonder if their giant turtles will still around to ride while wearing it.

yeah, HOT none of the armors can be saved, leyline have good effects(for shine lovers) but is a ugly "stone" concept.in POF the Warbeast remains is really very good but only the heavy set. the medium and light are grotesque.

i wonder whos have the idea that persistent "rock theme" in every armor is good.

most fire themed weapons are wasted because anet stick to this "lava/rock".

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

tons

yeah, HOT none of the armors can be saved, leyline have good effects(for shine lovers) but is a ugly "stone" concept.in POF the Warbeast remains is really very good but only the heavy set. the medium and light are grotesque.

i wonder whos have the idea that persistent "rock theme" in every armor is good.

most fire themed weapons are wasted because anet stick to this "lava/rock".

I was disappointed in lack of Elona stuff that actually differs from the base game styles that already exist, but the Cantha xpan is going to be much bigger overall because Cantha. Recovering the lost Assassin styles is going to be one of the most important concepts for it since they're designs that simply don't exist in any form at the moment for armor and a part of the map's culture and a part of Thief's roots that need restored. We didn't have any Elona professions like that (Derv, Paragon) so it wasn't as needed as it will be with Thief, and I'm sure Revenant will want a piece of Ritualist as well.

@Doggie.3184 said:Thief will finally return to it's Assassin style rootsUnless Arenanet disables Stealth (and replaces it with an actual defense that is not related to running away) via the first minor trait, I'd rather not have Arenanet use Assassin's good name for a new Elite Specialization.GW1's Assassin was great because it didn't have Stealth.

But I'd rather have Arenanet introduce a support spec for Thief instead of another DPS specialization.