Desert borderland why ?

As roamer it's my favoutie map to roam around, actualy i prefer fight ther then other maps, as ther are most ppl after EB, and small scale action happyn ther often (eu Gunar Hold/Gandara) in my opinion that desert map is also much more interesing to me then other maps, and you have alot smaller objectives ther

because Alpine is the most boring competitive map of all time... i honestly hate that map with so much a passion that soon after launch, after making my original elementalist into level 80... the hard way (lol?). a few weeks on Alpine made me quit the game for almost a year before coming back. i returned PvE-only around the time of the Toxic Tower in Kessex Hills during living world season 1. i didn't try WvW again until Edge of the Mists map, then quit WvW when EotM no longer offered regular WvW rewards. (i was rank 180ish). I didn't return to WvW until Warclaw was released, and joined TWO guilds that enjoy Desert map. and there are actually quite a few guilds on quite a few different servers that prefer Desert map over Alpine. (i say from experience on NON-Q times fighting other guilds on Desert, even map-blob zerg guilds.)

a short rehash:~ i personally still won't be happy as long as there are two boring ALpine maps in WvW, but at least i can avoid Alpine with Desert~ Alpine needs to be changed... 1) there are no shrines 2) there is way too much wasted space on the north of the map: ie the skritt and centaur areas~ so far, the only reason i hear for "hating" desert is the lack of being able to trebuchet walled-objectives from the "safety" of other walled-objectives, which many consider to be cowardly for the game mode. all the other "excuses" are whining about losing/ such as getting pushed off a cliff and falling to death. (yeah, it's happened to me before, too. you can't rack up 2100 ranks in WvW without dying thousands of times when you can't 1v1)

@"Forgotten Legend.9281" said:2) there is way too much wasted space on the north of the map: ie the skritt and centaur areas

You can't seriously crap on Alpine for "wasted space" while praising Desert BL. That has got to be a troll.Desert BL is a walking simulator. And the only saving grace to it is if you know the few hay bale spots that make it somewhat tolerable to navigate.

Compared to Desert BL, Alpine is nice and cozy. Who cares about that space to the north.

Also, the shrines are easily one of the worst gimmicks on Desert BL.

Alpine has more strategic importance to towers. If there's a new map that should be a focus , there could just be a recolored and elevation changed jungle/forest version of Alpine and people would likely be happy with it (provided mounts did not provide extra speed).

That said, Desert BL has been improved a lot in terms of accessibility after multiple iterations. I tested the original Desert BL map on the test server, endured the lagfest laser on the first iterations of the map, and got lost for a while on the original versions of the map without the ramps and the shortcuts (eagles , hay bales, and otherwise).

Did you know that Desert BL fire keep used to have lava where the grates currently are?

I hate desert borderlands because it's the most difficult one to defend. It's too big, takes a year to reach keeps and southern towers from garri or citadel. There are rarely any scouts.

It's the perfect place for ppt monkeys who like to sneak objectives.Also, the northern towers are too easy to reach and generally badly placed (at least imo). Can't recall how many times we lost a t3 tower "just so" because a sneaky 5-man monkey squad cata'ed walls from a spot unreachable for the built watchtower, which wasn't able to mark them.

Another reason why WvW doesn't get much work on. Honestly Alpine map has been there since release and it has been the same aside from the middle section that was converted even then it was ages ago. There is a lot more things in RBL that offers strategic incentives to capturing the shrines especially earth shrines where you are able to jump from FK to AK in seconds, not to mention the reveal around garri. As a roamer desert bl is honestly the best place to roam at, the only issue with that map is it is too big for the cap size, other then that it is a great map.Also little things like jumping in haystacks prevents fall damage just makes the place even better.People just like Alpine better because they are simply use to it.

It's a great map to roam in, has interesting mechanics and i routinely go there with squads and no one really has a problem with it. I'm on EU. Fights for the Desert Garri are one of the best usually.I like the map, idk how it is on NA (you mentioned mag, that's NA right?), but i've had some of the best fights there, as well as weird tactic "power moves" that commander do. It's a more difficult map, for sure, but that makes it more fun.

I hate the copypasted fronts of each server. It should be 1 diferent map for every front with a flow of "higher ground" for defenders and "lower ground" for attacking servers.

I think the desert map is fine, but the eternal battlegrounds. I think the whole of WvW needs a massive remake. But yeah, get rid of those frontline server maps, they ugly.

@"moutzaheadin.4029" said:I think it’s long over due to pull this thing out of the game. On mag, it’s basically free ppt for any server that’s sweaty enough to endure the boredom of taking it.

There is plenty of other people that see that map as “just no”.

Discuss.

There are as many people that see that map as "best map".Alpine environment is boring. Tower & keep lords are basically damage sponges, might as well put a training dummy in their place.We can just exchange arguments like that over and over again. If the game launched with desert instead, people would hate on alpine.I would like to see double alpine removed and 3rd map introduced.

I have always loved it - I thank the mysterious devs who worked on it (whom also inadvertantly/unintentionally seemed to mentally torture people who can't deal with this type of map), there could be improvements just like the other maps but I feel the map is very workable. I wouldn't mind a third map in next expac - I'd rather they not introduce 3-6 new ones. They can always expand on current maps with connecting "islands" or utilize empty spaces but that would come at a price of cpu/gpu/mem resources of players. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

@Samug.6512 said:

@"moutzaheadin.4029" said:I think it’s long over due to pull this thing out of the game. On mag, it’s basically free ppt for any server that’s sweaty enough to endure the boredom of taking it.

Discuss.

There are as many people that see that map as "best map".Alpine environment is boring. Tower & keep lords are basically damage sponges, might as well put a training dummy in their place.We can just exchange arguments like that over and over again. If the game launched with desert instead, people would hate on alpine.I would like to see double alpine removed and 3rd map introduced.

Lol no...The layout of alpine is what makes it a good map. And most of the updates to it were made well too. The snowy cliffs and spring meadows have helped carry the feel of the environment as well. There is a reason alpine hasn't dropped in popularity compared to desert bl, which has been out a long time too now. Is desert bl a bad map? No. Is it a good map? No. Alpine squeezes players toward the center line of the map but has secondary pathing on the outside to assist outnumbered players. Desert has a giant hole in the middle and encourages players toward the outside of the map with its secondary pathing way way way above where nobody can see each other. To this day I still don't understand the pathing of the desert bl. Its a mess that inherently drives people away through frustration.

I actually think the Desert is an amazing map, You can tell how much work went into it and I wish the older maps got updated to be similar.The problem with the Desert is it's size, as an EB it's size would be okay but as a borderlands It takes way too long to traverse if something is being attacked on the other side of the map. There's also some siege spot issues but those could be fixed easily if the devs ever wanted to tend to WvW maps.

I think this is the map that comes the closest to what open world pvp would look like. The size is perfectly fine, You should be punished for dying and I don't think everything should be clustered within 5 meters from each other and the spawn like Alpine. I do, however, think that devs should add more meaningful mechanics to the map (especially to the empty spots of enormous size) and possibly encourage player movements to deviate more from the main "middle route" so to speak, so that the inner and outer parts of the map actually have a reason to exist.

If you ever thought that watercamp has bad textures, oh boii. Desert is one big circus of that kind, playing anything with blink/flash/shadowstep and so on is just masochistic, you gonna end up with at least half failed attempts because of some incompetent devs.Imo its too big, too many useless structural textures, lords are too annoying, there are too many texture bugs that allow ppl to get into either towers or keeps etc. Just bad design. Also this sand everywhere, jeez, you start feeling like Anakin at some point.

@Samug.6512 said:

Discuss.

There are as many people that see that map as "best map".

Considering we went from 3 Desert BL's to 1 Desert BL & 2 Alpine. I think it's safe to say the devs have stats that prove the idea that "there are as many people that see that map as "best map"" objectively false.

In fact, if you actually go and pull up wvw stats. You can see that Desert BL pretty consistently has the lowest Kill/Death activity.

@"Rukasu.3097" said:I hate desert borderlands because it's the most difficult one to defend. It's too big, takes a year to reach keeps and southern towers from garri or citadel. There are rarely any scouts.

It's the perfect place for ppt monkeys who like to sneak objectives.Also, the northern towers are too easy to reach and generally badly placed (at least imo). Can't recall how many times we lost a t3 tower "just so" because a sneaky 5-man monkey squad cata'ed walls from a spot unreachable for the built watchtower, which wasn't able to mark them.

That sounds like a problem from your server if nobody wants to scout. On TC, when we run around on RBL, I swear there's always 15 scouts in every god damn objective.Regarding the Northern towers, you can "sneak" NWT on Alpine too by cataing it from outside it's mark zone.

@Salt Mode.3780 said:Maguma at this point is a meme server, everyone in NA knows that Mag only bunkers EBG specifically they only want SMC and that is about it.

Shhh, the moderators don't like it when we actually talk truths about another server.