Please let us exchange GoE for GoB and vice versa

I'm writing this from the point of a PvE player who gets intense anxiety from just stepping foot in PvP environments. So knowing what I enjoy and what makes me feel absolutely awful, I avoid those game modes... except I need to go into WvW for the Gift of Battle every time I want to make a legendary, which I do want to make because nice long term goals and all that. Now, I know that a lot of arguments against just being able to get the Gift of Battle outside of WvW is that the WvW player base still has to deal with a bunch of PvE stuff if they want to make legendaries. While I don't think we can completely remove the PvE components, surely it would be good for both parties if we could exchange one gift for the other?

PvE players who don't want to go into WvW can focus on the slower and probably more tedious Gift of Exploration. And dedicated WvW players can just grab the quicker Gifts of Battle and exchange those for Gift of Exploration so they don't have to spend ages map completing central Tyria.

Yes, I am aware of that one can just do dailies overtime for the WvW track potions, but it's not really about the difficulty, it's the feeling of the game mode. Just stepping foot into WvW has me instantly super anxious because of the risk of getting destroyed by a roamer when I'm trying to get a monument daily, or seek out a veteran creature, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@aspirine.6852 said:Not a bad idea at all.. May I ask why you get anxiety to get killed by another player? Would joining a zerg take away that worry?

Maybe it's just caused by frustration or pressure — in PvP your participation really matters and not everyone wants to be blamed by others... like me. I'm a terrible PvP player. I can't improvise, I'm mostly useless and I don't want to drag other players down + like everyone, I hate losing.WvW is also frustrating for me. I literally don't know what's happening in big fights.

@Tiilimon.6094 said:If you get anxious while playing a video game, you should probably tackle that problem first.

I am doing just fine in PvE environment, which is where I spend my time while playing guild wars. It's the PvP part that makes me uncomfortable.

@"aspirine.6852" said:Not a bad idea at all.. May I ask why you get anxiety to get killed by another player? Would joining a zerg take away that worry?

I'm not entirely sure if I can pinpoint it, but I think it's because PvE in guild wars is generally a pretty chill environment. Going into PvP forces me to keep my guard up at all times because it's a lot more unpredictable. Joining a zerg has made me feel a bit more alright at times, safety in numbers, I guess. But my last time with a zerg was pretty bad because I kept getting ridiculed and called trash for "not joining the condi meta" (was a while ago, not sure what current meta is). I suppose I can understand their frustration with not having an optimal player along... But I don't like competitive game modes in any game. I'm not going to stick around regardless, so changing my entire gear setup and learning a different playstyle seems like a lot for a few hours.

I am against this idea. You should have to play all game modes to craft a legendary.I too thought for a long time that I would not enjoy WvW, but about a year and a half ago I gave it a try and now I really enjoy it and spend most of my ingame time in WvW.

@yoni.7015 said:I am against this idea. You should have to play all game modes to craft a legendary.I too thought for a long time that I would not enjoy WvW, but about a year and a half ago I gave it a try and now I really enjoy it and spend most of my ingame time in WvW.

Dont forget that there are many WvW only players that have plenty of gob, but hate to do the pve map completion. I dont think this is a bad idea at all, just that gob is much easier to get..

1) Sorry to hear you have problems in RL.2) GoB can be obtained by doing mostly PvE stuff in WvW or EotM it just takes longer. Also gen1 legendaries can be bought off the TP.3) Don't request for the world to change around you, be the change you want to see in the world yadayadyada...4) Legendary aquisition as is is fine. There are many things anybody can't do for reasons outside of their control, it's a part of life and life isn't fair."B..but we can make it fair..."4.1) No we can't. I can give you tips like 2) but I would not want to change the game for you, slippery slope, yadayadayada... sorry m8.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I understand that some PvE players hate the idea of going into WvW (and some WvW players find PvE boring) but I'm not sure I like the idea of removing the requirement. I think it makes sense that getting a legendary requires you to play all game modes, and if I hadn't been pushed into playing WvW (not for the GoB, it was a mini pet) I might have never discovered that it's not as confusing or scary as I thought and actually something I enjoy doing sometimes. I know I'm not the only one who had that experience and think it would be a shame if other people who might feel the same never find out. On the other hand some people really are going to hate it and having to play it will just confirm that (or maybe they'll expect to like it and find they don't) so having to go through it is just a waste of time. But then there are already ways to get it which require no PvP and very low risk that you'll be killed, or even seen, by enemy players.

The other problem I can see is that currently map completion awards two Gifts of Exploration - so effectively this would make the Gift of Battle free for PvE players. Do map completion once and you get one GoE to use in making the legendary and one to trade for the GoB. If that's not changed I think buying a GoB would need to require a lot more than just the GoE, but I'm not sure what else to include.

I suppose I should've left my personal issues out of it since that seems to be what gets focused on now, instead of the suggestion itself, good to know for the future at least.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'm not sure how I feel about this. I understand that some PvE players hate the idea of going into WvW (and some WvW players find PvE boring) but I'm not sure I like the idea of removing the requirement. I think it makes sense that getting a legendary requires you to play all game modes, and if I hadn't been pushed into playing WvW (not for the GoB, it was a mini pet) I might have never discovered that it's not as confusing or scary as I thought and actually something I enjoy doing sometimes. I know I'm not the only one who had that experience and think it would be a shame if other people who might feel the same never find out. On the other hand some people really are going to hate it and having to play it will just confirm that (or maybe they'll expect to like it and find they don't) so having to go through it is just a waste of time. But then there are already ways to get it which require no PvP and very low risk that you'll be killed, or even seen, by enemy players.

The other problem I can see is that currently map completion awards two Gifts of Exploration - so effectively this would make the Gift of Battle free for PvE players. Do map completion once and you get one GoE to use in making the legendary and one to trade for the GoB. If that's not changed I think buying a GoB would need to require a lot more than just the GoE, but I'm not sure what else to include.

You bring up a good point with the two gifts of exploration thing. Given the time it takes to run a map complete and that you can do it only once per character I think it's not a bad trade exactly, but it might be something that needs to be taken into consideration if an exchange functionality was to be implemented.

@Lini.2698 said:I'm writing this from the point of a PvE player who gets intense anxiety from just stepping foot in PvP environments. So knowing what I enjoy and what makes me feel absolutely awful, I avoid those game modes... except I need to go into WvW for the Gift of Battle every time I want to make a legendary, which I do want to make because nice long term goals and all that. Now, I know that a lot of arguments against just being able to get the Gift of Battle outside of WvW is that the WvW player base still has to deal with a bunch of PvE stuff if they want to make legendaries. While I don't think we can completely remove the PvE components, surely it would be good for both parties if we could exchange one gift for the other?

PvE players who don't want to go into WvW can focus on the slower and probably more tedious Gift of Exploration. And dedicated WvW players can just grab the quicker Gifts of Battle and exchange those for Gift of Exploration so they don't have to spend ages map completing central Tyria.

Yes, I am aware of that one can just do dailies overtime for the WvW track potions, but it's not really about the difficulty, it's the feeling of the game mode. Just stepping foot into WvW has me instantly super anxious because of the risk of getting destroyed by a roamer when I'm trying to get a monument daily, or seek out a veteran creature, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.

OP, there are a few WvW dailies that are VERY easy to do and largely don't involve interacting with other players. Doing these dailies rewards you with a Potion of WvW Rewards. Each potion is 250 reward track points. So, 80 potions is an instantly completed reward track. I actually have 500 saved up in my bank so I can do just that any time I want or need to do a reward track.ZERO WvW Participation/Interaction Required:

1. Big Spender. You can do this one in your guild hall and don't even have to go into WvW. Go talk to Davis the Survivor in the Guild Hall War Room and buy 1 Badge of Tribute from him to complete the daily. This does cost 30 Badges of Honor, but you likely have enough from achievement chests.

Now these next two are generally very easy, but do require you to go into WvW and you run a small risk of getting dead from enemy players:

1. Master of Monuments. In each of the 3 border lands maps there are 5 ruins in a circle in the center of the map. All you have to do is go stand in the circle of one of those until it turns the color of your team. It has to be white to start with (when you're at the ruin, not on the map). If it's a different team's color, you can step in it and change it to white and then to your team's color. Once captured, you get the reward and are done. I generally do this on my home borderland as I can waypoint to the garrison and hop right into one of the close ruins and I'm done. You also run lower risk of getting in a fight with the opposing team on your home borderland.
  2. Veteran Creature Killer. Basically you stand in one spot until a specific veteran spawns, kill it, and then go on your way. Normally I do this on an opposing team's borderland as your waypoint is closer to one of the spawn points - either the veteran harpy or the veteran warg. When it is a daily, there will normally be a couple of people waiting at the spawn too. I have to say this one runs the highest risk of having to fight with another player, but, NORMALLY, you will get left alone if you're just hanging out at the veteran spawn for the daily.

There are a couple of other easy WvW dailies, like Yak Slapper and Land Claimer, but, those come with increasing probabilities of running into other players. And don't be afraid to call out in map chat in WvW and ask questions.

@"Lini.2698" said:I suppose I should've left my personal issues out of it since that seems to be what gets focused on now, instead of the suggestion itself, good to know for the future at least.

The suggestion itself is as old as dirt and without considering your personal issues, your request boils down to "I want a legy but I don't want to do what it needs. Can't it be made easier? PlAy HoW yOu WaNt ThEy SaId!". So I think having a bit more context to know where you're coming from helped in getting actual answers to your problem in game.

@"Danikat.8537" said:I think it makes sense that getting a legendary requires you to play all game modes

Did you just pretend PvP doesn't exist? Many people do that but it is not reality!

That also sacrifice the ability to make a second. That does or doesn't matter based on who you are targeting.

The more questionable idea is GoB->GoE. A GoB takes 8 hours, what is the typical world completion time(divided by 2 of course)? It is also relatively easy to speed up GoB "completion time" with boosters.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:There are a couple of other easy WvW dailies, like Yak Slapper and Land Claimer, but, those come with increasing probabilities of running into other players. And don't be afraid to call out in map chat in WvW and ask questions.

Land claimer can also be done in Edge of the Mist. It is very unlikely to meet anyone if it is the sentry closest to your spawn since that is a long run from other teams. Might already be claimed your side though.

Im done with legendaries. I am crafting my last one right now because i do not want to participate in WvW any more. It is a tedious task many of us do not enjoy. Im making my fifth now and GoB is the only reason im quitting it. I am very aware i just need to do some 'easy dailies' but trying to flip some camps and then killed by roamers is not fun. Or walking 38690 kilometer to a tag only for the commander to use a wp, or dying on the road, or not being accepted in the squad because of some silly reason (you're a ranger for example)...

Secondly, WvWers do not enjoy PvEers in their gamemode. We hog spaces on the server, and are useless to the squad. You have to queue because I am spending time against my will to get a GoB? This leads to toxicity. Atleast give us a chance to obtain this Gift in PvP...? Why is this gamemode not required?

It is good to try and lure people into WvW to maintain the population. Cant there be another way to make this mode attractive for new players?

And yes im aware for wvwers world completion is also tedious. A counter proposal would be 1 world completion is required to unlock an additional reward track or a merchant to buy it for whatever currency. World completion is even for pveers a useless grind of low level hearts.But i think OP already made a nice compromise. It's a good idea and i support it.

I have stacks and stacks of WvW potions that I store on a storage character and I'm sure other hardcore WvW players do too , on top of bulk Gift of Battle more than there are legendaries in the game.If players were able to liquidate all of them on the market I bet legendary weapons would be even more worthless (utility-wise and prestige-wise) than they already are.

Even if such a suggestion were implemented (highly unlikely), it would need to be gated somehow or you'd completely crash the legendary market.

I'm not sure why anyone would trade Gift of Exploration to get a Gift of Battle to be honest. If you note there's 25 maps and it takes you even half hour a map due to renown hearts then you are looking at around 13 hours for 2 Gift of Exploration, whereas Gift of Battle can be obtained in roughly 4 to 8 hours without use of potions from dailies.

On the grey market, Gift of Exploration is valued around 500g although lately I've seen people roll in Gift of Battle and sell Gift of Mastery (which includes Gift of Battle) for 450g or so ; with the 77 clovers for 700-850g.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.giftsOfExplorationSomeone has 224 Gift of exploration. Top 10% of 4000+ hour players surveyed has 8 , top 1% of 4000+ hour players has 24.Among all players registered the top 1% has 14 Gift of Exploration.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.giftsOfBattleSomeone has 418 Gift of Battle. Top 10% of 4000+ hour players surveyed has 10 , top 1% of 4000+ hour players has 59.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.potionOfWvwRewardsAmong 4000+ hour players surveyed , top 10% has 392 WvW potions (~5 Gift of Battle) and top 1% has 1,950 WvW potions (~24 Gift of Battle).Even without the time played restriction the top 1% has 778 WvW potions which is almost enough for 10 Gift of Battle.

@"Infusion.7149" said:I have stacks and stacks of WvW potions that I store on a storage character and I'm sure other hardcore WvW players do too , on top of bulk Gift of Battle more than there are legendaries in the game.If players were able to liquidate all of them on the market I bet legendary weapons would be even more worthless (utility-wise and prestige-wise) than they already are.

Even if such a suggestion were implemented (highly unlikely), it would need to be gated somehow or you'd completely crash the legendary market.

I'm not sure why anyone would trade Gift of Exploration to get a Gift of Battle to be honest. If you note there's 25 maps and it takes you even half hour a map due to renown hearts then you are looking at around 13 hours for 2 Gift of Exploration, whereas Gift of Battle can be obtained in roughly 4 to 8 hours without use of potions from dailies.

On the grey market, Gift of Exploration is valued around 500g although lately I've seen people roll in Gift of Battle and sell Gift of Mastery (which includes Gift of Battle) for 450g or so ; with the 77 clovers for 700-850g.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.giftsOfExplorationSomeone has 224 Gift of exploration. Top 10% of 4000+ hour players surveyed has 8 , top 1% of 4000+ hour players has 24.Among all players registered the top 1% has 14 Gift of Exploration.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.giftsOfBattleSomeone has 418 Gift of Battle. Top 10% of 4000+ hour players surveyed has 10 , top 1% of 4000+ hour players has 59.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.potionOfWvwRewardsAmong 4000+ hour players surveyed , top 10% has 392 WvW potions (~5 Gift of Battle) and top 1% has 1,950 WvW potions (~24 Gift of Battle).Even without the time played restriction the top 1% has 778 WvW potions which is almost enough for 10 Gift of Battle.

Those stats aren't very useful since they only count unused items. Most of them are also going to be from people who hold on to those items specifically to be part of those statistics.Anyone with more than 148 GoE is going to need character(s) dedicated to world completion that gets recreated multiple times. Those are extreme outliers.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Infusion.7149" said:I have stacks and stacks of WvW potions that I store on a storage character and I'm sure other hardcore WvW players do too , on top of bulk Gift of Battle
more than there are legendaries in the game
.If players were able to liquidate all of them on the market I bet legendary weapons would be even more worthless (utility-wise and prestige-wise) than they already are.

Someone has
Gift of exploration. Top 10% of 4000+ hour players surveyed has 8 , top 1% of 4000+ hour players has 24.Among all players registered the top 1% has 14 Gift of Exploration.

Someone has
Gift of Battle. Top 10% of 4000+ hour players surveyed has 10 , top 1% of 4000+ hour players has 59.

Among 4000+ hour players surveyed , top 10% has 392 WvW potions (~5 Gift of Battle) and top 1% has 1,950 WvW potions (~24 Gift of Battle).Even without the time played restriction the top 1% has 778 WvW potions which is almost enough for 10 Gift of Battle.

Those stats aren't very useful since they only count unused items. Most of them are also going to be from people who hold on to those items specifically to be part of those statistics.Anyone with more than 148 GoE is going to need character(s) dedicated to world completion that gets recreated multiple times. Those are extreme outliers.

Unused items are the only ones that matter for a future implementation suggested in the original post. Anything already in a legendary is already out of the economy so to speak.

Alright OP.

Sorry about your RL anxiety issues. That stinks. That said, I'll let you in on a WvW secret. Everybody dies there. It happens to all of us eventually in the game mode, even those hardcore roamers that destroy you. Use the Waypoint, dust yourself off and go in the other direction on the map from where you died.

Join a guild, get some reward track boosters, find an outnumbered map, and go kill a guard, take a camp, kill a Dolyak, or kill a vet creature every few minutes. Kill the guards at tower gates as you run by. If you have max boosters, and T6 participation, and get WvW dailies in, then you should get your GoB in about 4.5 hours. This is the easiest part of the legendary journey outside of buying a precursor off of the TP.

If you die some its OKAY! It really is nothing to worry yourself over or be anxious over.

There are tons of helpful players in WvW who if you ask in Map or Team chat will be more than happy to help you learn more about WvW and how to contribute in a fight in a meaningful way. There are some commanders out there that tag up just to help PvE players get their GoB.

And if the Anxiety REALLY is that bad and you can't get over it, then sell all your Mystic Coins and T6 mats on the TP until you have the gold to buy a Gen 1 Legendary.

@Lini.2698 said:I'm writing this from the point of a PvE player who gets intense anxiety from just stepping foot in PvP environments. So knowing what I enjoy and what makes me feel absolutely awful, I avoid those game modes... except I need to go into WvW for the Gift of Battle every time I want to make a legendary, which I do want to make because nice long term goals and all that. Now, I know that a lot of arguments against just being able to get the Gift of Battle outside of WvW is that the WvW player base still has to deal with a bunch of PvE stuff if they want to make legendaries. While I don't think we can completely remove the PvE components, surely it would be good for both parties if we could exchange one gift for the other?

This is actually a VERY bad idea... GOE takes SIGNIFICANTLY more time to get than GoB... I can get a gift of Battle in about 8 hours of playing WvW by doing the GoB reward track and using the proper boosts...

And this is coming from the perspective of a HEAVY WvW player... it would be WAY more useful for the WvW player than it would for the PVE player... Bot to mention RDICULOUSLY profitable...

GoE sell for like 5-600 gold... for what would be 8 hours of work lolz

@Infusion.7149 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:I have stacks and stacks of WvW potions that I store on a storage character and I'm sure other hardcore WvW players do too , on top of bulk Gift of Battle
.If players were able to liquidate all of them on the market I bet legendary weapons would be even more worthless (utility-wise and prestige-wise) than they already are.

Someone has
Gift of exploration. Top 10% of 4000+ hour players surveyed has 8 , top 1% of 4000+ hour players has 24.Among all players registered the top 1% has 14 Gift of Exploration.

Someone has
Gift of Battle. Top 10% of 4000+ hour players surveyed has 10 , top 1% of 4000+ hour players has 59.

Among 4000+ hour players surveyed , top 10% has 392 WvW potions (~5 Gift of Battle) and top 1% has 1,950 WvW potions (~24 Gift of Battle).Even without the time played restriction the top 1% has 778 WvW potions which is almost enough for 10 Gift of Battle.

Unused
items are the only ones that matter for a future implementation suggested in the original post. Anything already in a legendary is already out of the economy so to speak.

designing based on outliers is pretty sillythat would be like pricing items based https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.goldalthough looking at the cost of the recent weapon sets maybe that is what they did ...

the average amount for 80% of players is 0 for both

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:I have stacks and stacks of WvW potions that I store on a storage character and I'm sure other hardcore WvW players do too , on top of bulk Gift of Battle

Someone has

Someone has

Unused
items are the only ones that matter for a future implementation suggested in the original post. Anything already in a legendary is already out of the economy so to speak.

designing based on outliers is pretty sillythat would be like pricing items based
although looking at the cost of the recent weapon sets maybe that is what they did ...

the average amount for 80% of players is 0 for both

The point is any implementation needs to take into account outliers. They can't just put in a 1 to 1 conversion without a timegate unless they want to damage the market value of legendaries significantly.

It's also more likely asset valuation is based on liquidity rather than "gold" https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/values.summary.liquidBuyThat's the difference between holding say mystic coins versus "gold".

Instanced group pve is more stressful than casual wvw.

Edit - for clarity: while the latter might be annoying on occasion (some toxicity etc), it can be avoided by sticking with groups, or knowing the maps and game the reward track, taking breaks whenever you like. The former can be very toxic depending on the party.

Maybe to detach, run some kind of new character meme build in wvw - I found that helped in the past when not wanting to care too much eg in pvp.