Mute or attenuate box of fun sounds?

With the Super Adventure Box of Fun it's probably a one-off problem, because they were giving them out for free yesterday and I imagine a lot of people either tried to get rid of them quickly or just used it without knowing what it was or what it would do. But since each person can only get one for free that won't keep happening.

But I also recommend playing around with the sound settings to see what you can do. There isn't a setting specifically for these, but there will be something you can turn down which will make them quieter or silence them, it will just affect some other things as well (unfortunately I can't log in now to try it myself and see what works).

I'd start with 'disable player chatter' and 'disable player item chatter' as those seem the most likely to work, followed by 'other players unique item sounds', maybe the 'player instrument volume' slider (they're not instruments but as it pre-dates the other options I think some random things are still linked to that slider). If none of those work reduce either effect or environment volume. Both of those definitely will impact a number of other things in the game which you might want to hear, but you could turn it down while in a city or crowded area and then turn it up again when you leave.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'd start with 'disable player chatter'

afaik this setting only affects call outs your character makes when you get buffs/debuffs or use certain profession skill like marking a target as deadeye or using mantras or ranger commands and shout skills -and- the shouts and command type skills other players use like if there are other rangers or tempests near you.

objects like the super adv fun box don't count as that i believe

@Yggranya.5201 said:Wouldn't it be nice to be able to turn off other peoples exasperating effects? Yes, but we all know what anet thinks of that. Actually, we don't, but since nothing has happened, we can guess that it's not a problem for anet.

agreed. visual and audible noise from other players or objects should be something you can turn off at your discretion

Thanks. Unfortunately the box's sound isn't affected by the "other player's unique sound" option, nor the two "chatter" options. I already had all those off.

Ah, well. But as Danikat pointed out, everyone just got a free one and once those are used up, the plague will likely end, or at least, lessen.