setting your account to "away" prevent attacks by npcs?

Sounds like a guy that played some kind of MMO where you could do open world PvP and then set yourself "away" (or some other method they would call it) to remove yourself from the PvP again. In the case of GW2: This is purely a setting for the messenger and to show to your contacts.

@"Luthan.5236" said:Sounds like a guy that played some kind of MMO where you could do open world PvP and then set yourself "away" (or some other method they would call it) to remove yourself from the PvP again. In the case of GW2: This is purely a setting for the messenger and to show to your contacts.

I feel like there's definitely an online multiplayer game that I've played where you could set yourself to away and it essentially made it so you couldn't interact with anything and nothing could interact with you during away time. I could be imagining it though ¯_(ツ)_/¯

If I remember correctly Ultima Online had camp fires you could set up which made a tiny 'safe zone' where you wouldn't be attacked, which was important as it could take 10 minutes for your character to be fully logged out and you could otherwise be attacked in that time. But you also couldn't do anything while sitting at a campfire. (This is going back almost 20 years though, so I may be remembering it wrong.)

I think the nearest GW2 equivalent is logging out to the character select screen. You won't be attacked and when you log back in you'll be exactly where you were, unless you were in an instance of course. But the downside is there's no guarantee you'll be in the same copy of map, so events might be at a different stage and there could be different people around.

I've done that sometimes when I knew I needed to go afk for a few minutes. Although I also have a terrible habit of thinking where I'm standing is safe and empty and then coming back to discover it was empty because it's the area where a champion spawns and now I'm very dead.