Again with the US only Gem Sale? - [Merged]

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:A promotion/contest just ended a week, or so, ago, that was open to many countries. I'd guess many/most of you entered.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-icebrood-saga-champions-balance-release-steelseries-sweepstakes-official-rules/

A sweepstake where a very limited number of participants win and a discount which everyone can take advantage of are two very different things.

As an aside, the sweepstake was also not available for most of Europe and for the entirety of Asia and Oceania. It was available for the USA, of course. :)

@Extacy.6192 said:They don't care about europe. Just stop buying any gems. Maybe they will learn it the hard way.

And hire some decent PR guys. This is just horrible. Literately promoting it in german/french/spanish ... i rly have no words for this.

For what it is worth, German (over 1 million), French (1.3 million), and Spanish (60 million, there are more Spanish speakers in the US than in Spain) are all spoken extensively in the US.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:A promotion/contest just ended a week, or so, ago, that was open to many countries. I'd guess many/most of you entered.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-icebrood-saga-champions-balance-release-steelseries-sweepstakes-official-rules/

That was a cross-promotion with SteelSeries, so that's not really anywhere even close to being in the same area as players living outside the US wanting to be treated equally the same as players living inside the US. All those Special Sales only available to US residents; Special Offers only available to US residents; Free Items only available to US residents; meanwhile all those outside the US just get watered-down, lesser versions, of such promotions!

Remember when the EU server had a serious crash last year (May 2020) and for over 24 hours we couldn't play the game, heck we couldn't even log into our accounts or do anything that was account-related! What did we get as "compensation" for that? A free Communal Boost Bonfire and, just for anyone who had actually managed to log-in earlier on the day of the crash, a free Curious Creatures Mount Select License! About a week before this crash occured Anet gave everyone a free Communal Boost Bonfire and, to really make it stand out, they were also giving out yet another free Communal Boost Bonfire to everyone later in the very same week that the server crash occured! Another free Communal Boost Bonfire to add to the ones we'd received recently really did NOT feel like any sort of "compensation". If it had been the US server that crashed I guarantee Anet would have given a hell of a lot better than a free Communal Boost Bonfire as "compensation" for the US players!

Bah, wasting time on this is just pointless, nothing will ever change, it is what it is, complaints about this will always fall on deaf ears!

I think people are mistaking sales of this nature as a form of compassion or appreciation, when it's all about boosting status of their product in the eyes of an algorithm of a 3rd party website while making some money. It's a business move.

NCSoft has a contact pages for different regions of the world, so I probably shouldn't link them straight up. As ArenaNet's publisher, they are probably handling a lot of the distribution. Their brand name is even printed on the back of the gem card boxes, if I recall correctly. Perhaps sending them a letter or email might do something? US NCSoft is probably the one doing all of these US promotions. It might be worth mentioning to the NCSoft of other regions the lack of digitally distributed gem keys in online stores. Perhaps ask them to start distributing digital keys on Amazon and then to hold a sale to help people acknowledge that the option exists? Get them to take a suggestion from a point of distribution and accessibility.

@"Quench.7091" said:I think people are mistaking sales of this nature as a form of compassion or appreciation, when it's all about boosting status of their product in the eyes of an algorithm of a 3rd party website while making some money. It's a business move.No doubt that it's a business move and it did put GW2 on the bestseller list for a time from what I heard, but that doesn't mean people who can't partake can't be upset about it. Gems in particular as a lot of people buy them directly through the game but the only people who get a discount—even a limited-time one—are Americans going through a third-party so there's "I'm left out of this promotion again" and "Why can't I get a discount directly from Anet?" and "I'm already paying more so why do Americans get to pay even less?" and "I can literally only get gems through Anet because my country doesn't have gem codes."

Even if American Amazon was going to offer the discount no matter what and Anet simply promoted it to get more sales thus more income even with Amazon's cut, it's still a move that upset international players because it's not the first time it's happened and nothing was done in-game or internationally to make it clear all players all appreciated regardless of their location.

There's also the added issue of Anet not planning ahead of time to have an international promotion going on at the same time. An ambiguous time in the future doesn't help with the here and now and at the end of the day, a lot of people find more value in discounted gems even if they still paid for them than a free hair kit/mini/bonfire/1 hour booster which is often what international promotions end up being. Heck, outside a handful of minis, you can buy all of those and still have enough gems for skins, outfits, and/or account upgrades. Yeah you technically paid for it but you can actually get what you want and not get something you may have a stack of in you in-game bank or can sell for 5s on the TP.

The whole thing could have been handled so much better than it was and a business isn't anything without customers yet once again Anet implied it thinks less of its non-American customers.

@"Follyfoot.2803" said:I went straight to Amazon for my 20% off gems but apparently players from the UK are to low in the evolutionary scale to count or matter. It made me feel a little unappreciated.

Brexit became real.. Tough times.

Be patient guys, our time will come! * We'll take our leave and go!"

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:We understand the frustration from players who aren't able to take advantage of this promotion, and we want to let you know that a similar promotion for players outside the US is coming soon. We always make an effort to offer special promotions to as many players as we can, and will continue to bring opportunities to our community outside the US.

seen that before, it never happens the right way.last time you guys did the same with the destroyer mini, the US got it completely for free while europe had to win one of 5........

Did we ever get our promtion that was supposed to be Eu only after the Kung fu Tea debacle?

@Hesione.9412 said:

@cobbah.3102 said:I can buy gem cards in New Zealand for $25.00 nzd for 2000 gems happy when i need to get some .

Where are you buying the gem cards from? I used to get them from EB but haven't seen them in there for over a year.

EB in Bayfair in Tauranga still has some

They're not replacing them, so buy them while you can :(

I think it's just an issue of them getting them....here in Australia, Sydney stores had no cards for a long time, then they started popping up again late last year. I haven't been to EB in a few months but I'm looking forward to buying some cards again soon.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:We understand the frustration from players who aren't able to take advantage of this promotion, and we want to let you know that a similar promotion for players outside the US is coming soon. We always make an effort to offer special promotions to as many players as we can, and will continue to bring opportunities to our community outside the US.

seen that before, it never happens the right way.last time you guys did the same with the destroyer mini, the US got it completely for free while europe had to win one of 5........

Did we ever get our promtion that was supposed to be Eu only after the Kung fu Tea debacle?

not that i know of, i think they're hoping we have Alzheimer since they continue to do this kind of action without remorse.

Can't remember if the EU got their promised promotion either and the wiki lists nothing. I don't know what's worse: lying (or reneging) about compensation or treating the roller beetle car sweepstakes as the make-up promotion.

Which is why I really want to know if the Dorito's sweepstakes going on right now is the promotion that's supposed to be for international players. One (1) person getting 52 bags of chips =/= unlimited (of you're in the US and have money) discounted gems and account keys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/1/2021 at 2:24 PM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

We understand the frustration from players who aren't able to take advantage of this promotion, and we want to let you know that a similar promotion for players outside the US is coming soon. We always make an effort to offer special promotions to as many players as we can, and will continue to bring opportunities to our community outside the US.

Heya, so, many months later and CANADA is still not getting any of the sales?  It was nice to see US, EU and other regions get access to gem sales since your post.  I had hoped since you replied to a topic specifically about Canada and Gem Sales that we would have seen a gem sale for Canadian residents at some point.

The Best Buy sale you linked, doesn't allow for shipping to Canada, and the Canadian retailers do not carry this product.

I understand that not all regions can have Gem Sales made available to them, but I cannot find any information as to why Canada would be excluded from these types of promotions when other games do not have this limitation.  Can Anet/NCSoft comment on why Canada continues to be left out?  Perhaps Canadian players would stop looking for sales if we knew to never expect one.

On 4/7/2021 at 1:58 PM, Zephire.8049 said:

Can't remember if the EU got their promised promotion either and the wiki lists nothing. I don't know what's worse: lying (or reneging) about compensation or treating the roller beetle car sweepstakes as the make-up promotion.

Which is why I really want to know if the Dorito's sweepstakes going on right now is the promotion that's supposed to be for international players. One (1) person getting 52 bags of chips =/= unlimited (of you're in the US and have money) discounted gems and account keys.

There was a gem sale for multiple international regions after the post from Fire Attunement, EU included.  However, I recall some complaints about gems being reliably received from the resellers.  You can probably find some posts on the forums to confirm this.

Edit to add this link to EU Sale from April

Get 20% Off Guild Wars 2 Gem Cards in Europe | GuildWars2.com

and from Latin America
Big Savings on Guild Wars 2 Gem Cards in Latin America | GuildWars2.com

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
Added link
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

There was a gem sale for multiple international regions after the post from Fire Attunement, EU included.  However, I recall some complaints about gems being reliably received from the resellers.  You can probably find some posts on the forums to confirm this.

Edit to add this link to EU Sale from April

Get 20% Off Guild Wars 2 Gem Cards in Europe | GuildWars2.com

and from Latin America
Big Savings on Guild Wars 2 Gem Cards in Latin America | GuildWars2.com

and all links are useless in the benelux so that doesn't even count.

• Confused 1

I've sort of accepted that due to the poor exchange rate between USD and CDN along with whatever laws govern such things, that I won't be seeing Guild Wars 2 related sales in Canada - or if they happen, it will be rare. They advertised on an American site and that makes sense. 

What really bothers me on top of this is that they sent the advertisement to my email too.

I feel if I am ineligible to participate  in their contests or get access to these sale items, they should not be sending me emails. 

Edited by Obfuscate.6430
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/1/2021 at 2:24 PM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

We understand the frustration from players who aren't able to take advantage of this promotion, and we want to let you know that a similar promotion for players outside the US is coming soon. We always make an effort to offer special promotions to as many players as we can, and will continue to bring opportunities to our community outside the US.

Still waiting for a sale in Canada and other forgotten regions.  Your response still 'frustrates' me for sounding like you care but really, the proof is your company has yet to provide a sale outside of 3 select regions (US, EU, SA) and continue to use the same resellers who market to those regions and limit purchases outside of those regions.

• Confused 2

• 2 months later...

Sad Canadian here chiming in. I agree it would be nice to know if there is some reason they can't so as not to keep up hopes for future sales. Otherwise the assumption is they simply choose to forget about us time and time again, and that hurts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Due to constantly being ignored as a Canadian when it comes to these sales... I just unsubscribed my email from Anet... I'm tired of seeing all this "nice stuff" being offered to everyone and constantly being excluded.    Just par for the course with how I have been feeling regarding ANET and their decisions as of late.     They make it easier and easier to just go spend my free time with other games

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 2:34 AM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

As per News:https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/stock-up-for-spring-with-20-off-digital-gem-cards/

This appears to be only available to US residents. Can you take the time to note this in future promotions like this in the news article? Thanks on behalf of those who can take advantage of this but, c'mon man, give us Canadians a break (and the rest of the world too).

We south east asia dont even have our own server let alone discount. 200 ping on NA 250 ping on EU.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1