Please let us exchange GoE for GoB and vice versa

I complete my WvW Rewards almost exclusively by doing simple WvW dailies that usually don't take much effort:Daily WvW Veteran Creature SlayerDaily Mists Guard KillerDaily WvW Master of MonumentsDaily Land ClaimerDaily WvW Caravan DisruptorDaily WvW Big Spender

Usually there are one or two of them available each day, sometimes even three (if I remember correctly).This might take some weeks to get one track done, but legendaries are supposed to take long to create anyway, so that's no problem.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Lini.2698 said:I'm writing this from the point of a PvE player who gets intense anxiety from just stepping foot in PvP environments. So knowing what I enjoy and what makes me feel absolutely awful, I avoid those game modes... except I need to go into WvW for the Gift of Battle every time I want to make a legendary, which I do want to make because nice long term goals and all that. Now, I know that a lot of arguments against just being able to get the Gift of Battle outside of WvW is that the WvW player base still has to deal with a bunch of PvE stuff if they want to make legendaries. While I don't think we can completely remove the PvE components, surely it would be good for both parties if we could exchange one gift for the other?

PvE players who don't want to go into WvW can focus on the slower and probably more tedious Gift of Exploration. And dedicated WvW players can just grab the quicker Gifts of Battle and exchange those for Gift of Exploration so they don't have to spend ages map completing central Tyria.

Yes, I am aware of that one can just do dailies overtime for the WvW track potions, but it's not really about the difficulty, it's the feeling of the game mode. Just stepping foot into WvW has me instantly super anxious because of the risk of getting destroyed by a roamer when I'm trying to get a monument daily, or seek out a veteran creature, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.

I felt that way at first, for some reason it felt more dangerous and upsetting that I was being pitted against other humans controlling the enemies instead of the game AI.I remember my heart was pounding the first time I got up the courage to zone into a WvW zone and look around. So I know that feeling. The first time I got defeated felt really bad and I felt so helpless.

Honestly I just kept at it, I wanted a GoB and over time I learned where to go for the Veteran Slayer, and where the good spots to get caravans are, how to get to the less popular monuments to capture, and I did eventually get the GOB. Once in a while I even hold my own in a fight and win it! Now if I get killed I just zone back to the WP and go back to whatever I was trying to do. Mostly it's just quick and easy dailies (hooray for Big Spender! :) ) but once in a while I get there when there's a big group running around and I join them just to be part of the attack blob.

I never would have believed years ago that I'd be comfortable in a WvW environment, let alone have fun there. I'm not saying you need to do this, just sharing my own experience.

GoE actually has a pretty hefty black market price associated with it. While i'd love to just do WvW for 8 hours and exchange my GoB For GoE, it would quickly turn into a mess for the economy with all those GoE floating around etc... So... I get the idea, but it's just not going to happen... Especially since you'd want it to go the opposite way too, in which case, you're forfeiting one GoE that could have been used to create another legendary. You'd be making a shortage that way with the only posibility after a while for some people to get theirs via WvW GoB conversion anyway, leaving you right at the start...

Also, i don't know what's so anxious about PvP environments, but whetever, i'm not here to judge. To each their own.Just an FYI, most WvW players find dying in WvW hilarious, it's just another game mechanic and it happens to everyone. Even that roamer that would potentially kill you. He'll get killed himself later one way or another lol.Why not, instead of being the victim and requesting people and systems change to accomodate you - take matters into your own hands and destroy that roamer that dares to come near you? Find a build, practice a little and don't run from fights. I mean, you'll still die from time to time, but you at least won't feel helpless (which is what i think bothers you in the context you gave). Then just do your dailies knowing that you can defend yourself if needed.

Luckily, WvW doesn't have to be a PvP environment at all lol. Especially if you get a Warclaw, you can just avoid people and prance near them as you go, not a lot of them have the dismount option and without that, they can't hurt you unless you run into a zerg.Do easy dailies and you're good. You said it yourself, it's a long term project. No need to rush anything. Take power into your own hands and don't be the victim! You can do it! :heart:

@Lini.2698 said:

@Tiilimon.6094 said:If you get anxious while playing a video game, you should probably tackle that problem first.

I am doing just fine in PvE environment, which is where I spend my time while playing guild wars. It's the PvP part that makes me uncomfortable.

@"aspirine.6852" said:Not a bad idea at all.. May I ask why you get anxiety to get killed by another player? Would joining a zerg take away that worry?

I'm not entirely sure if I can pinpoint it, but I think it's because PvE in guild wars is generally a pretty chill environment. Going into PvP forces me to keep my guard up at all times because it's a lot more unpredictable. Joining a zerg has made me feel a bit more alright at times, safety in numbers, I guess. But my last time with a zerg was pretty bad because I kept getting ridiculed and called trash for "not joining the condi meta" (was a while ago, not sure what current meta is). I suppose I can understand their frustration with not having an optimal player along... But I don't like competitive game modes in any game. I'm not going to stick around regardless, so changing my entire gear setup and learning a different playstyle seems like a lot for a few hours.

I remember one time I was in a zerg and heard some snarky comments about being "someone who was just going to die LOL" and it didn't feel great, but here's the thing: I wasn't the only one who died, I wasn't just standing around doing nothing, and I came right back to keep fighting along with everyone else who ended up at the WP.

There are all kinds of folks in WvW with all kinds of reasons to be there. I'm not going to stress over where I am in relation to someone else, I know what I'm there for and that's my focus. Sometimes I run into some folks who are heading the same way I am and we all take a camp together or wait for the Veteran Warg to show up.

Also I don't know what your time schedule is like but I find that when I get there right after the daily reset I tend to run into the most fun and relaxed people to get stuff done with.

@Lini.2698 said:I'm writing this from the point of a PvE player who gets intense anxiety from just stepping foot in PvP environments. So knowing what I enjoy and what makes me feel absolutely awful, I avoid those game modes... except I need to go into WvW for the Gift of Battle every time I want to make a legendary, which I do want to make because nice long term goals and all that. Now, I know that a lot of arguments against just being able to get the Gift of Battle outside of WvW is that the WvW player base still has to deal with a bunch of PvE stuff if they want to make legendaries. While I don't think we can completely remove the PvE components, surely it would be good for both parties if we could exchange one gift for the other?

PvE players who don't want to go into WvW can focus on the slower and probably more tedious Gift of Exploration. And dedicated WvW players can just grab the quicker Gifts of Battle and exchange those for Gift of Exploration so they don't have to spend ages map completing central Tyria.

Yes, I am aware of that one can just do dailies overtime for the WvW track potions, but it's not really about the difficulty, it's the feeling of the game mode. Just stepping foot into WvW has me instantly super anxious because of the risk of getting destroyed by a roamer when I'm trying to get a monument daily, or seek out a veteran creature, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.

I'm pretty sure i've figured out why some people are so vehemently against someone else being able to circumvent these horrible game modes: They want you to suffer as they have. Why? Good question...

@"Yggranya.5201" said:I'm pretty sure i've figured out why some people are so vehemently against someone else being able to circumvent these horrible game modes: They want you to suffer as they have. Why? Good question...

I can only assume that's far from the answer why. In my opinion, it's a question of "Why should everything be adapted to you, rather than you adapting yourself?"

Darwin would hate the us of today.

EDIT:

To expand further, if someone has anxiety (or insert X other limitation/issue), that sucks and it's fine for them to not want to do something. But they shouldn't expect everything to change to suit them rather than either resigning to the fact that they'll miss out, adapt and overcome, or find an alternative that's available to get what they seek.

Not saying the idea of inter-exchangeable ressources is bad, but isn't the gift of battle seemingly faster to acquire than the gift of exploration ? I mean, gift of battle you can acquire from a reward track, whereas the gift of exploration require full exploration of the core map (which it is big) even though you get two.

I dont know actually, is it just me for whom it seems one is easier to obtain than the other ?

@Naxos.2503 said:Not saying the idea of inter-exchangeable ressources is bad, but isn't the gift of battle seemingly faster to acquire than the gift of exploration ? I mean, gift of battle you can acquire from a reward track, whereas the gift of exploration require full exploration of the core map (which it is big) even though you get two.

I dont know actually, is it just me for whom it seems one is easier to obtain than the other ?

They can make it so you have to trade, let's say, 5 GoB's for 1 GoE, which would result in approximately the same amount of time spent.At this point tho, I don't think they should cater to either side of the request, the acquisition method is fine as it is. I would rather see them add another vendor that can trade Emblems for good stuff. Since earning emblems actually requires some effort and promotes semi-active gameplay, not like afk participation farming.

@Kondor.2904 said:

@Naxos.2503 said:Not saying the idea of inter-exchangeable ressources is bad, but isn't the gift of battle seemingly faster to acquire than the gift of exploration ? I mean, gift of battle you can acquire from a reward track, whereas the gift of exploration require full exploration of the core map (which it is big) even though you get two.

They can make it so you have to trade, let's say, 5 GoB's for 1 GoE, which would result in approximately the same amount of time spent.At this point tho, I don't think they should cater to either side of the request, the acquisition method is fine as it is. I would rather see them add another vendor that can trade Emblems for good stuff. Since earning emblems actually requires some effort and promotes semi-active gameplay, not like afk participation farming.

Agreed, and emblems have limited use once you've acquired the necessary ones for the backpacks.

@lokh.2695 said:3) Don't request for the world to change around you, be the change you want to see in the world yadayadyada...Humanity never worked that way. We're where we are now specifically because we always attempt to change the world to our liking.

@"Pacificterror.7805" said:I can only assume that's far from the answer why. In my opinion, it's a question of "Why should everything be adapted to you, rather than you adapting yourself?"

Darwin would hate the us of today.You really didn't think through that one. If you haven't noticed, it was exactly, the capability to overcome natural darwinistic evolution with the power of science that made us into rulers of this world, instead of being just one of the many equal species on it.

But back to the OPs idea - while i am perfectly okay with the idea of exchange, we should probably look a bit closer at the specifics. GoB is much, much easier to obtain than GoE, and while i have no problem with WvW players getting better side of the deal, i'm not so sure if it should be to this degree.So, perhaps it should be Goe <-> GoB + "something" (not sure what, though).

@Kondor.2904 said:

Agreed, and emblems have limited use once you've acquired the necessary ones for the backpacks.

Make your voices heard:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/126187/why-does-wvw-have-the-worst-reward-structure/p1

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/121597/add-in-daily-weekly-and-monthly-vendors-into-wvw

:wink:

I don't get this split in the community here.

Why would anyone want people in their game mode who didn't want to be there? WvW allows players to skim along doing the bare minimum and having next to no impact on the actual battlefield. You can't do that in PvP or Raiding.

I doubt I will ever make a Legendary since I really don't care for PvP or WvW in this game. In part because I don't think a PvE player who doesn't give a damn about WvW should be in WvW. I actually think it is really poor game design to enforce this type of requirement as it puts the wrong players into the game mode for the wrong reasons.

However, I do not think that is any reason to change how GoB is attained.

There is so little to do that if a player really wants a legendary, they should be able to do the 5-8 hours of farming WvW for GoB as well. Or you can be like me.....

Currently I need 4 GoB to continue making Vision, Aurora, Nevermore and Dusk. Each time I got engaged with the Legendary and the quests and achievements and then it was time to go to WvW and each time.... bored to tears running camps and fixing walls. Nope, it's never gonna happen, cause WvW sucks and rather than asking the game to change, I won't play the game.

That said, why would a WvW player advocate for someone who doesn't like the game mode to force themselves to play it? It isn't like it is making WvW better for anyone.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"lokh.2695" said:3) Don't request for the world to change around you, be the change you want to see in the world yadayadyada...Humanity
never
worked that way. We're where we are now specifically because we always attempt to change the world to our liking.

True, humanity as a whole never worked that way. 99% of all individuals did and still do though.

Please don't devalue unique and significant individuals a well as occasional movements with the mass of population on this planet. The harsh fact is: for 99% of all humans, it is adapt to the world.

Also you might notice how the second half of his phrase mentions "be the change you want to see" etc. That's in reference to the few who actually DO put in the hardship and work to change things.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"lokh.2695" said:3) Don't request for the world to change around you, be the change you want to see in the world yadayadyada...Humanity
never
worked that way. We're where we are now specifically because we always attempt to change the world to our liking.

True, humanity as a whole never worked that way. 99% of all individuals did and still do though.

Please don't devalue unique and significant individuals a well as occasional movements with the mass of population on this planet. The harsh fact is: for 99% of all humans, it is adapt to the world.It's a massive derail, so i will tell you only that i heavily disagree. There are people that look at history and see it as a collection of the high points - battles, individual events, and great names, and think that history is those things and less visible stuff is unimportant. When i look at it i see a result of ongoing processes that involve a
lot
of people. Sure, each of them might contribute to the whole only slightly, but without them all those names would not matter.Individual people generally do
not
change the world alone. Most of them can only reach their achievements on the backs of all those people you have never heard about that came before them and/or stand behind them. Others are just a byproduct of a greater tide of history that put them at the forefront.

This does not diminish all their achievements, by the way - just put them in a proper, wider context.

Also you might notice how the second half of his phrase mentions "be the change you want to see" etc. That's in reference to the few who actually DO put in the hardship and work to change things.Well, since all we can do to change the game is to ask for it...

@"Mungo Zen.9364" said:That said, why would a WvW player advocate for someone who doesn't like the game mode to force themselves to play it? It isn't like it is making WvW better for anyone.

It's more along the lines of "Anet is not going to change a thing so we might as well help you through it with tips and tricks".Cause it's been a while since Anet got WvW some attention, and at this point, if they just remove GoB as a requirement and change it to a PvE acquisition (which it largely is already), WvW players would be pissed AF because that would basically mean Anet gave up on the mode. Especially if WvW players wouldn't be given an alternative to get their GoE through WvW only.

So since no one can for years nudge Anet to do anything about WvW except minor things, people rather tell others to just do WvW and get their GoB as intended.Plus, there's always a chance someone might go in with an open mind instead of "i hate WvW cause i was bored running camps" and actively try the mode out, join a squad, join a discord/TS and follow commander, roam and kill people, join a fight squad etc... That's infinitely more interesting than flipping camps.

But people that go in with the mentality of "i hate WvW" get told to flip camps because they're not open to anything else. And fair enough, they don't need to be, or maybe have extreme issues like OP that prevent them from even trying (though i still think OP can overcome this), and they get told the same. Is it boring? Yes, very. But that's all you get if you don't actually want to try the mode. It's also disingenuous from people to then judge how boring WvW is without doing even 5% of what it has to offer.

So it's a complicated layered issue.

Legendaries are meant to be hard to obtain. And they are optional. So it is totally fine that one source of the needed materials is from WvW. (Though afaik if i remember correctly they had been on the vendor for badges a long time in the past. But badges probably had been too easy to obtain + also they were in achievement point reward chests. Would not have been a bad idea to still have this - cause the reward tracks freel grindy and slow. Especially compared to the ones in PvP.)

I mean ... there is worse stuff in the game: Raids and certain stuff (achievements and one legendary trinket) you only can get there. There always will be stuff where people are forced.

And weapons are just so unique (and u usually do not have that many per char) so ArenaNet probably wanted all the 3 game modes to be played. OP even sounds as if he has tons of gold - if he can grind that many legendaries to be able to say "every time I" (as if done multiple ones already) ... so maybe just buying some of the old generations directly from the TP and grind the gold for it instead?

(Unless ... you want the skin: But skins are even more exclusive and some of the other onnes in the game tied to specific stuff. And optional as well of course.)

Edit: Also for the anxiety issues: Remember that for example in raids and high level fractals it probably even is more troublesome. With the toxic elite players flaming you. (So even PvE can be hard. I do not know if you have tried that stuff. You probably are avoiding it as well - cause it is worse than PvP/WvW.)

For PvP you can just use matchmaking - not too hard in low level tier even it you are bad. For WvW just in a zerg usually nobody flames. I do not know which server/communities. Never seen it for me. And I play casually. Just by tagging along (not even really joining the squad) it is super easy to keep the "participation" up. Especially when defensive battles are going on. Just stay in the background and tag some enemies to participate for the kill. Nothing easier than that. It even is feels easier than PvE sometimes.

I mean: You don't need to try roaming solo or going in 1 vs. X - that is purely optional. Only a small amount of people seem to do that.

@"Mungo Zen.9364" said:I doubt I will ever make a Legendary since I really don't care for PvP or WvW in this game. In part because I don't think a PvE player who doesn't give a kitten about WvW should be in WvW. I actually think it is really poor game design to enforce this type of requirement as it puts the wrong players into the game mode for the wrong reasons.

+1. I simply don't do anything PvP related in my leisure time since I play to relax from a PvP (or "employee vs. employee") driven real world. I refuse to fight other human beings and thus die 99,9% of the time as soon as another player shows up. It's annoying enough to charm a juvenile wolf for a new ranger character every now and then, a pet only made available on WvW maps. Lost interest in legendaries as soon as I realised it forces me to visit PvP areas of the game.

@yoguil.7320 said:

@"Mungo Zen.9364" said:I doubt I will ever make a Legendary since I really don't care for PvP or WvW in this game. In part because I don't think a PvE player who doesn't give a kitten about WvW should be in WvW. I actually think it is really poor game design to enforce this type of requirement as it puts the wrong players into the game mode for the wrong reasons.

+1. I simply don't do anything PvP related in my leisure time since I play to relax from a PvP (or "employee vs. employee") driven real world. I refuse to fight other human beings and thus die 99,9% of the time as soon as another player shows up. It's annoying enough to charm a juvenile wolf for a new ranger character every now and then, a pet only made available on WvW maps. Lost interest in legendaries as soon as I realised it forces me to visit PvP areas of the game.

For me the blocking factor for making a Legendary is fractals. I don't know how to get started with them and I don't have anyone in my real-life circle of friends that even knows what MMOs are, let alone play them. I've done LFG for a few but I'm clearly a drag on the rest of the folks there who know what they're doing and I feel bad about that.

Though, now that I think about it, maybe I should take the initiative to learn what to do and see if I can create a "Fractals for Noobs" group on my own. That could be my summer project.

@Kaliwenda.3428 said:

For me the blocking factor for making a Legendary is fractals. I don't know how to get started with them and I don't have anyone in my real-life circle of friends that even knows what MMOs are, let alone play them. I've done LFG for a few but I'm clearly a drag on the rest of the folks there who know what they're doing and I feel bad about that.

Though, now that I think about it, maybe I should take the initiative to learn what to do and see if I can create a "Fractals for Noobs" group on my own. That could be my summer project.

Look at https://discretize.eu/fractals and https://guildjen.com/2020/09/15/fractals-of-the-mists-the-complete-guide/You should be able to do most T1s without issue after that.

A short video overview is over at Mukluk's channel if you're more visual

!

@Infusion.7149 said:

Look at
and
You should be able to do most T1s without issue after that.

A short video overview is over at Mukluk's channel if you're more visual

!

Wow, thank you! :)

As much as I'd love to roam my way to quick and easy GoEs (and I really would!), I'm not sure this is a great idea.

I was in the same situation (minus the PvP anxiety!). I hated WvW (I still hate zerg play!), but I liked legendary crafting. Every time I crafted a legendary I would put GoB off until the very last and it always seemed like such a slog. The reason I say I'm not sure this is a great idea is that I actually ended up developing an appreciation for WvW. So much so that I am now approaching platinum rank and I have a full set of WvW legendary armor, the legendary backpack, and I'm currently working toward the trinket as well.

The way I figure it, if that can happen to me then it can probably happen to others. Obviously, that isn't likely for you, given the anxiety. But if we're weighing the pros and cons of this suggestion, this is at the very least a caution flag, I think.